Chapter 10: Rally the Troops

The day was hot and the mood was grim. Kuzo wore his royal battle gear and carried a pointed spear in his right hand. The spear was like a scepter demonstrating the power of the Fire Nation Crown. He strut down the road leading from the palace into the center of the city. On either side stood two hundred of the finest trained men and women in the country. These were the elite Special Forces of all branches of the Fire Nation military. Kuzo was inspecting them. Shō and Izumi followed but had to stay a full step behind. Shō forced himself not to roll his eyes

Kuzo's steel-toed boots clinked on the cobblestone road as he slowly made his way down the line. The men and women stood tall with their backs straight and heads forward. This was a largely ceremonial duty of the Crown. Fire Lord Tahno would ordinarily do it but he still had yet to wake. News media filmed the event while reporters shouted out their questions. Kuzo ignored them. He continued walking down the line until he reached the end. Koa was at the end of the line and saluted Kuzo. Her strawberry hair cascaded down her shoulders in tight rings. A platform and microphone were set up and the three royal teens climbed up the steps. The sun beat down on them and the Special Forces. Sweat had collected in every joint Kuzo had, it was so bad, he felt dizzy.

"Country...." Kuzo tried to speak through the microphone but the feedback from the nearby speakers screeched through the air. All in attendance flinched and Shō couldn't help but roll his eyes.

"Countrymen," Kuzo tried again. "And women. You are the finest soldiers in the nation and I would like to show my gratitude for your service. For nearly two hundred years, the Fire Nation has put our militaristic past behind us and strove forward in the name of diplomacy. We have never forgotten, however, the strength of our armed forces and have continued to use them to aid in the protection and formation of the United Federation of Earth States, and the New Air Nomads.

"Sadly, times have changed. After repeated attacks around the world of a terrorist organization, Parliament has decided to join forces with the Earth States and the Southern Water Tribe to counter the organization's actions. You will be sent to the island Territory of Whale Tail Island led by your captain of the guards Koa. She will be your lead and point of contact for the other military leaders. The royal family has full faith in her abilities just as we do in yours."

Kuzo turned to step down from the podium as journalists shouted out their questions. He turned back to the mic.

"And for those in the media," he spoke loudly. "This decision made by Parliament was not done on my suggestion or my counsel."

Then, he turned around and walked back up the road to the palace.

Later that night,

Kuzo sat in a marble tub filled with steaming hot water. He reached up to the tap and let more hot water fill to the top. The water nearly scalded his bare skin but he continued to take it. Things cannot get much worse, he thought to himself. Cabinet steamrolls me at every opportunity, I had to send troops to another part of the world, and my father still has not woken up.

Eventually, the heat from the water got too hot for him and he stood up and left the tub. He didn't even bother toweling himself off as he jumped onto his bed face first.

"The staff can wash the sheets," he said. "I really don't care right now."

He rolled over on his back and stared up at the ceiling. To his right was a picture. Reaching out, Kuzo picked it up and held it over his face. It was a picture of Renko and him standing in front of the watchtower in Kyatu city, the old capital of the Fire Nation. It was the last day of their vacation together and Kuzo was beaming with his arm around Renko's waist. Renko had a happy smile on his face.

"I miss you, Ren," he said.