Chapter 3: Reunions

The next day, Renko stood in front of a full sized mirror in the dressing room. His father was arriving for the state visit and a formal dinner was scheduled for the night. He tied his solid black tie. It matched with his graphite suit. As the Avatar at a diplomatic function, it was best that he wear neutral colors. Wearing green or red may show preference to one nation over the other. He undid his tie and tied it again. He still had not told Kuzo that he was leaving. During the palace tour with Ua, he kept quiet. Kuzo did most of the talking and answered all of the interview questions. Renko was treated more like arm candy.

He looked at himself in the mirror. He focused on his gray eyes that he inherited from his mother. She was never in his thoughts enough and he wondered if she would be proud of him. He focused on his jawline that inherited from his father. They had not seen each other in over a year.

Just breathe, he told himself. If he could master fire bending, he could master a state dinner. He straightened his cuffs and steeled himself. A palace worker walked in and told him that Kuzo was ready. He nodded and walked towards the entrance. It was decorated lavishly with banners and ribbon. Instead of electric lights being used, torches were lit in sconces along the walls. Guards stood near every exit in traditional black amour. Ua and her camera crew filled anything that she deemed interesting. Reporters from across the nation scribbled furiously on their notepads. The flashing lights from their cameras were like lightning flashes in the dim room. Ministers of parliament milled about in huddled groups chatting with each other. The Prime Minister stood with a figure whose back was towards Renko.

The figure turned and Renko saw that it was Kuzo. He wore a black suit with a white shirt and a brilliant red tie. Across his chest and shoulders was a deep red sash marked with the Fire Nation insignia. His hair was in a bun and a small crown was threaded through it. Kuzo smiled at Renko and waved him over.

"Prime Minister," he said. "You are familiar with Avatar Renko."

"Of course sir," the portly man shook Renko's hand. "It is a pleasure to have him here with us."

"It is a pleasure to be so welcomed," Renko replied.

"Prime Minister, perhaps you should go stand with your cabinet," Kuzo said in a dismissive tone.

"Sir," the minister nodded his head and made a face as he walked away.

"Ugh," Kuzo said when the minister was out of earshot. "My father gave that man permission to make a government. And in his name. But, what do you think of the decoration of the hall?"

"It feels almost medieval," Renko said. "Almost like you're making a point."

"The Earth States is a Republic. We are a monarchy. The oldest and most powerful monarchy in the world. As acting monarch, tonight, I will make that clear."

Renko wasn't entirely sure what to say after that. But, as he looked at Kuzo standing there with a crown on his head, he looked very much like a king.

"Ladies and gentleman, the President of the United Federation of Earth States," a squire shouted out across the room. The double doors opened and in stepped Renko's father, Ridhya surrounded by secret service men in gray suits. Following closely behind, was Sune and other military men. He and Renko caught each other's eye.

Ridhya strode forward in an olive-colored suit that matched his tie. The round symbol of the Earth States was fashioned as a gold pin on his chest. His look was stern but kind. Just the way that Renko remembered.

"Your Royal Highness," Ridhya smiled as he shook Kuzo's hand. Photographers came in close to take their photos. "My thoughts go to your father. May you wield his power as just as he. And may he recover quickly."

"Thank you Mister President," Kuzo shook back happily. "It is an honor to see you again. I hope you enjoy your time in the Fire Nation."

Ridhya turned to Renko next. Renko could feel his heartbeat immeasurably fast.

"Mister Father," Renko blurted out as he shook his father's hand. The room grew quiet.

"Son," Ridhya replied. "It is good to see again. You have grown so much."

"I have dad," Renko breathed out relieved. "I really have."

Kuzo led Ridhya into the dining room and everyone followed. Renko stood back a moment. He caught Sune's eye a couple of times and raised an eyebrow at him.

The dinner was laid out along a table that stretched from one end of the hall to the other. The two heads of state sat across from each other flanked by other high ranking statesmen. Izumi and Shō sat near to the very end of the table and Renko sat a few seats down from his father. He sat across from a Fire Nation nobleman who would not stop attempting to make small talk. Renko remembered his role as a politician's son and attempted to feign interest in whatever the nobleman was talking about. In reality, he tried to not focus on Sune's eyes staring at him from across the room and trying to figure out how to eat the giant sea slug on his plate.

He pushed the squishy thing around on his plate until it was a gross mess.

Frustrated, Renko put his chopsticks down and stood. He excused himself from his awkward conversation and stepped out of the hall. He headed outside to get some late afternoon air. He leaned over the battlements and looked across the Capital. He heard footsteps on the cobblestone behind him and turned. Sune was walking towards him.

"Hey, Ren," Sune said when he had caught up with him. "It's been a while."

"It's been over a year," Renko replied. "I see you're with the secret service?"

"Yeah, my commanding officer suggested that I make the switch."

"Neat."

The two stood awkwardly for a moment staring at the ground and the sky. Eventually, Renko spoke.

"Do you wanna just stand here with me?"

"Stand?" Sune asked.

"Yeah," Renko turned back to face the city. "The city is always so calm this time of the day."

Sune walked up and leaned against the battlement. The city was very calm.

"Look," Sune began. "I'm sorry that I tried to force you back home. It was very low of me and I shouldn't have acted like that."

"No you shouldn't have," Renko said. "But I forgave a long time ago."

"Really?"

"Of course," he said. "We all make mistakes. Throughout our lives, we do things that we shouldn't. We have to recognize the mistake and move on."

"When did you get so wise?"

"Haha," Renko laughed. "Never. Kuzo taught me that."

"Oh," Sune said flatly.

"I think you two would get along. Maybe not initially but with time."

"Are you and him serious?"

Renko made a face. He opened his mouth to say something and then closed it.

"Maybe," he finally said. He turned back towards the palace. "So, your delegation is here for three days?"

"Yeah," Sune said.

"That should be enough time."

"Enough time for what?"

"To say goodbye."