Chapter 17: Waiting

The sun has risen, and the whole town came out to see the Avatar training his air bending.

"Begin."

In sync, Renko and Ahmad bowed low to each other. They took a step back and stood on one foot. As they lowered their foot to the ground, they opened their palms and dragged the air down around them. The downturn of wind struck the earth and blew sand and rock all around. They continued the technique of stepping and dragging the air down. Each step created a bigger and bigger gust of wind until they stepped back and reined in their arms. They lifted their left hands and the wind collected into a tightly spinning ball of air between them. The rotation of the air was nearly deafening and it the surrounding audience covered their faces.

Ahmad looked calm as he held his side of the airball suspended from the ground. Renko strained to maintain his side. He had never air bended this much. The two of them lowered their hands and the airball slowly lowered to the ground. Once it touched the ground, it exploded pushing everyone off of their feet and onto their butts. Only Renko and Ahmad remained standing.

"Good job," Pāru stood up as she spoke. "Especially Renko. This was a departure from the more traditional air bending you've been taught up until now."

The surrounding town stood and politely clapped their hands and returned to their business. Most of them had to work to do at the river. The festival was that night.

"Thanks," Renko bent over with his elbows on his knees. "I feel utterly exhausted."

"You were holding your breath," Ahmad bent over to look at him. He caught sight of Renko's necklace and frowned a little.

"It's air bending," he said a little harshly. "It doesn't make a lot of sense to not breathe air."

"Uh, okay," Renko replied.

Ahmad walked off in a huff. Renko raised an eyebrow at Pāru. She shook her head.

"He's a weird kid," was all she said.

"He's been...different since we arrived at the town."

"I wouldn't think too deep into it," Pāru said. "Besides, we agreed to help the town set up for the festival. You and he should shower and meet us down by the river."

Renko returned to Mizu's house. She and her family had gone to the river to prepare and Renko thought he would have the house to himself. He slowly removed his clothes and walked to the bathroom but stopped when he heard the shower running. Ahmad was inside. Renko shrugged and opened the door.

"I'm coming in," he said.

"Augh," Ahmad made a weird sound and fell out of the tub. Apparently, Renko had surprised him.

"Are you alright?" Renko knelt down to help him up but Ahmad ignored him.

"That's kinda rude of you to walk in like that," Ahmad said.

"I didn't know you would fall out of the shower."

"But I'm also naked!"

"And we've both been naked in the bath house! Why are you so angry all of a sudden?"

"You know," Ahmad said. "You're right, I have been angry. I was done in the shower anyway, you can take yours."