Chapter 4: Meet the Press

The next day, Kuzo and Ridhya stood behind two podiums in the palace giving a press conference. Media from the Fire Nation and the Earth States stood with cameras flashing. Journalists furiously scribbled notes on their pads of paper. Ua stood out fantastically in a bright yellow pants suit. The legs flared outward like balloons and her dark hair was in two pigtails with yellow bows. Her film crew stood out in matching yellow jumpsuits. They did not look thrilled.

"The President and I had a very long discussion about the future relationship between our two nations," Kuzo read from his prepared script. He had to remind himself not to read word for word and to look up every once in a while.

"Due to the Hundred Year War decades ago, there has been a sizeable community of Earth Benders living in the Fire Nation. In fact, the Ziyou neighborhood right here in the Capital has the largest community of Earth Benders outside of the Earth States," Kuzo continued. "It is in the interest of the Fire Nation to continue providing them with equal representation and protection under the law. And, in the interest of repaying the atrocities done during the Hundred Year War, the 115th Parliament under the leadership of Fire Lord Tahno, presents to President Ridhya a symbol of our country."

From the wings of the room, the Prime Minister appeared carrying a glass box. In the inside lay a silver dragon egg. It was the size of a pumpkin and it sparkled like a diamond when caught by the light. Kuzo stepped from his podium and took the egg from the minister's hands.

"This egg was one of the first found after the Hundred Year War. This egg, along with several others, was presented to Fire Lord Zuko by the Sun Warriors. It demonstrated the new relationship between the Sun Warriors and the new government of the Fire Nation. Let this egg demonstrate the new relationship between the Fire Nation and the United Federation of Earth States."

Ridhya stepped from behind his own podium and together, he and Kuzo held the egg. The light from the flashing cameras was blinding as every news network and newspaper wanted a shot of the moment. After the photo shoot was over, Ridhya returned to his podium and placed the egg on the corner.

"Prince Kuzo," he began. "Thank you. I do sincerely hope that if it hatches I can find a proper home for it. The Presidential Palace is far too small to hold a dragon."

A few in the media chuckled at the comment. Ridhya continued not once looking at his script.

"I would like to thank Prince Kuzo for hosting me and my delegation. My cabinet and I hope to forge closer ties with the Fire Nation as well. Today, as with the Presidents before me, I will be visiting the Earth Bending neighborhood of Ziyou as well as take the time to admire this beautiful city."

When he finished, the press saw their opportunity to ask questions. Ridhya pointed to one reporter.

"Shi Wong from the Ba Seng Sei Report," She said. "What about the questions surrounding Whale Tail Island? There is sufficient evidence that the Dark Hand's base is located on the Island. What will you do about it?"

"That is still on the table for discussion," Ridhya spoke. "At this time, it would be inappropriate to disclose any potential actions."

Kuzo chose the next reporter.

"Li Mei from the Daily Mail, what about the Avatar? Has he been briefed? And what of the Monarchy? Is it appropriate to say that this government is led by Fire Lord Tahno after a year of his absence? And how does your relationship with a man affect the likelihood of an heir?"

"Um," Kuzo began. He swallowed before he spoke again. "The Avatar remains a vital part of world affairs. I have the utmost confidence in his ability to maintain balance."

He started to point to a different reporter but Li kept talking.

"Sir, you didn't answer the question. Is it appropriate to say that this government is led by Fire Lord Tahno after a year of his absence? And as heir to the throne, is it appropriate for you to pursue the affection of someone who cannot produce you an heir?"

"I will answer those questions in a time that has been deemed reasonable," Kuzo replied in a stern but shaky voice. He began tapping on the podium. With his free hand, he pointed to another reporter.

"Chan Li, Republic Broadcasting Corporation, how can we be sure that President Ridhya won't show you special favors for dating his son or that you won't use the Avatar to his advantage? Isn't the Avatar a conflict of interest in any negotiation between you two?"

"The Avatar is not holding a press conference," Ridhya spoke loudly. "We are here to discuss the future relationship between our two nations."

"But sir," a reporter from the back spoke up. "Is it not troubling that the Avatar is connected so closely with two world leaders?"

"I'm afraid that is all the time we have," Kuzo said. His tapping grew faster with each question. "President Ridhya has a schedule to keep. Thank you."

Kuzo quickly stepped away but the reporters were not done. As he and Ridhya walked away, several members of press shouted questions and a few demanded that they are answered. As soon as they were clear, Kuzo leaned against a wall and took a couple of breaths. Those were valid questions that he did not know the answer to. For the first time since he had become regent, he was shaken.

Author's Note: Hello everyone, I'm sorry for such a late update. I had final projects and final exams to take care of. I'm also in the process of moving so I will do my best to keep updating. I hope you are enjoying Book 2 so far. It's still in the early stages and I cannot wait for you to read what I have planned for the future.