Chronicles of the Unknowns: G...

By AmazonZeta

Daisy Lynn was as average as she could manage to be, despite her crazy abusive father. One day during one of... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 22
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Epilogue
Excerpt from the Sequel
The Sequel is Up!

Chapter 8

136 5 0
By AmazonZeta

Running was the bane of my existence.

Today was day eleven of my training. I could now run half a mile without stopping. However, today was a two miler and I was a mile and a half in, and I felt like I was dying. It had seemed like I was actually getting better until the distance doubled. In the latter half of stage one my breathing was less dramatic and I dragged less when I had to walk. Now it seemed like I hadn't gotten nowhere.

"Come on, Daisy Lynn. It's just half a mile," Myra said. She'd passed me a long time ago, and must have circled back around. I huffed in response, but picked up my pace to match hers.

It seemed like it was dragging on, but we encountered Jason sooner than I anticipated. Somehow he knew where he needed to be and when he needed to be there. His hair was pushed back like he'd just run his fingers through it and he was shirtless. It would have been an absolute delight if I didn't know that he was about to put me through a torturous routine.

I watched as he eyed Myra. Normally she wore her hair down, but today she had it pulled back into a pony tail. She had on some running shorts and a sports bra. Her medium colored skin was glistening with sweat. To me, there was nothing attractive about being sweaty and I knew I looked and felt absolutely gross, but somehow Myra was pulling it off. Maybe it helped that she was a little on the short side. Not too short, the same way I was just a little tall. 

The way Jason was looking at her made me feel intrusive. Like I was a thrid wheel even though, technically, if anybody was the third wheel it was Myra. I averted my gaze and kicked at the ground, watching as the droplet of dew landed on my legs. I was acutely aware of each drop as they trailed down my skin. I kicked the ground again because I liked the sensation. Mentally I made the droplets flow together and caused them to take various shapes: a heart, a snowman, a smiley face. When Myra, started speaking, I made them return to their various places.

"Okay, so stage two involves fighting. You'll need some basic self-defense knowledge as well as offensive techniques. Ths is both with and without using your powers. For now, we'll just do a demonstration," she said.

She turned to face Jason and took her fighting stance. It was comical, watching her square up against him - her small stature up against his broad, muscular one. The lighthearted moment ended as quickly as it began when they started throw blows.

The fight was interesting. Jason could read Myra's thoughts as soon as she prepared to move, but I quickly realized that not all of her moves were thought out. A lot of her fighting was instinct. She'd been fighting her entire life and it showed. She was fast, but you could tell she fought on the streets. Jason was good, but she was giving him a run for his money. I watched in awe as Myra swung and Jason ducked, wrapping his arms around her waist and taking her to the ground. The hit the ground with an audible thud and a bright surge erupted from Myra sending Jason flying. Things were about to get dangerous.

Jason jumped up and mentally ripped a tree from the ground. I watched as the huge plant went flying towards Myra, roots and all. She closed her eyes for a moment and when she opened then they were glowing brighter than ever. Putting her hands out, the tree hit her with a bone crushing impact and I thought for sure it was over, but I was far from right. I could see the energy transfer to her the instant the tree touched her. Her hands were hard to look at directly now, and that smug grin returned to her face. She began approaching Jason fearlessly, and he walked slowly towards her. He was being cautious.

They danced around for a few moments, before Jason swung and Myra side-stepped him throwing him off balance. She reared up and I saw waves of electricity surge through her body before concentrating in her arm. When her fist made impact it sounded like thunder and my ears began ringing. Jason stagged back a few steps and it was clear that he was hurt.

What could we possibly be fighting that we had to be this brutal? 

It didn't take long for Jason to regain his composure. Myra was rearing up for another blast when it seemed like she was frozen in place. Although it was clear that he was still in pain, Jason straightened up and thumped the air making Myra fly back into a nearby tree. He released enough control to let her wriggle, but it was clear that she was pinned. This fight was over.

Althought Myra was tough in the end she was no match for him. Her instintual fighting skills allowed her to level the playing field somewhat with Jason's telepathy, but as far as his telekinesis was concerned there was no way she would ever win, unless she managed to mentally manipulate her power without any help from her body. Considering the fact that her highest potential was a level seven, it was probably very unlikely that it would ever happen. She was powerful, but she wasn't that powerful.

I wondered if being a level eight meant that one day I'd be able to control water without ever having to use my fingers to help me. Maybe if I'd actually have a fighting chance against a more powerful Unknown. Part of me wasn't sure. The power gap between Jason and Myra was evident and they were just two levels apart. It was going to take some time. Time that I may not have.

"That's just a small glimpse. You'll start off with the basics. Learn how to throw a proper punch. Kick without losing your balance. It'll be easier for you to learn from Myra since she does have a little more fighting experience than I do. She'll help you see things that a normal person can see - my telepathy does me quite a bit of good in a fight, but it won't help you," Jason said.

I nodded silently. To be honest I was a little afraid of Jason now. I knew that he was powerful, but seeing him action was a whole nother ball game. He wasn't even going all out. This was just practice. I couldn't wrap my mind around the violence. I didn't like it and I really didn't want to learn how to fight. I just wanted to be able to protect myself. Self-defense was all I really felt I needed.

Myra was hunched over panting, with her hand resting on the tree. At first it just seemed like she was trying to catch her breath, but more was happening. The tree was beginning to shrivel up and cave in on itself. The more the tree died, the more Myra returned back to her normal self. It was unnerving to watch. Once she looked healthy again, the tree was gone. It toppled over - a shadow of its former stature. She returned looking a little bit ruffled and she gave Jason a look that could kill. He gave her what looked like an apologetic look before finding a tree that hadn't been completely destroyed in the fight to sit next to.

"Okay, first we need to work on your stance. Just watch me and do what I do," Myra said.

She put her feet shoulder width apart with her left foot slightly forward. Her right fist hovered by her face and covered her chest. Her left fist stood slightly away from her body, but she kept her elbow bent to help protect her side. I followed suit and she came over to inspect me. After a few adjustments she gave a nod of approval and stood next to me so that I could see her hands.

She slowly extended her right arm, twisting it so that her strongest knuckled would make an impact, and brought it back. She then did the same with her left arm and motioned for me to follow. I slowly mimicked her punch as she watched intently. After a few more times, she began showing me ways to block punches, both one armed and both armed. She showed me how to side-step and dodge blows and then proceeded to step in front of me. 

"We'll go in slow motion for today. Tomorrow we'll pick up the pace," she said.

At first she had me throw punches, critiquing me as she blocked them. Make sure I extend all the way. Don't throw myself off balance. Keep my eyes on her at all times. Et cetera et cetera.

Next she began throwing punches, and although they were slow there was definitely some power behind them. It stung a little as I blocked her blows and I knew it wasn't her power that was doing that. I had a feeling this girl was born with pent up energy, power or not. It was just in her nature. We went through another round of me being offensive and defensive before finishing up. I didn't see how I was going to learn what I needed in this short amount of time, but I trusted Jason and Myra. 

I didn't trust, however, what Myra had done to that tree. I from the brawl at the bar that she was capable of something like that, but it didn't sit well with me that she had done that to the tree. It didn't look completely intentional - I believe part of it was her power working on its own accord to preserve her - but at the same time it was a waste of a life. I didn't like it one bit.

There just wasn't something right about it.

I didn't have much more time to linger on it before Jason was next to me nudging me to go back to the house. He knew what I had been thinking. If I had to put money on it I'd say he never wanted me to realize had happened or that it was beyond her control. He had a good poker face so I couldn't tell if I was right, but I had a feeling that I was. I'd find out sooner or later.

I was feeling ravenous and parched when we got back to the house. Jason and I went into the kitchen and Myra got ready for work. He began rummaging through the cabinets for something to make and I sat there twirling my thumbs nervously as I watched him.

He turned on the stove and began frying some chicken. I tried not to ogle as the muscles in his arms rippled with his movements. Even the muscles in his back were defined and pleasant to look at. It was starting to get hot in here, and I knew it wasn't just the oven. Jason turned around, plate in hand and caught my eye. I let out a nervous huff, and my thumbs started doing double time. Avoiding his gaze I looked at my spasming hands. 

He set the plate down in front of me and stood there until I looked up at him.

"Eat," was all he said. I complied.

Myra walked in shortly after and he already had her food ready for her. He'd put it into a plastic container and she thanked him before heading out. That left just the two of us, completely alone for the rest of the night. I wasn't sure how I felt about that. I hadn't been here long enough for the balance to settled. I knew that I'd disrupted it when I came. I also knew that there was more than enough tension to go around before I arrived.

I felt Jason's light eyes on me as I ate, but I couldn't bring myself to look at him. The only man I'd ever lived with was Pa. The boys at school never really paid me any attention due to all the bruises I'd received from Pa. I couldn't quite place why I felt so awkward now, but something was nagging at the back of my mind the second I thought about Pa. Then it hit me.

I couldn't think about it. Nope. I had no idea why anthing about Pa would nag at the back of my mind except for the fact that he was an abuser. 

Hesitantly I got up and put my plate into the dish washer as I tried to say my abc's backward in my mind.  Jason was looking at me like I was crazy. He knew something was up. I cursed myself. I needed a better distraction.

"Errr...ummm....I'm gonna go to the restroom," I said.

Pitiful. Great distraction, Daisy Lynn. 

I knew Jason could see right through me. I had to get out of the house, before I ratted myself out or made a fool of myself even further.

"I'm gonna go for a walk actually," I said shakily.

Shitshitshitshitshit

I stepped outside and began walking aimlessly. Luckily Jason didn't follow. I made sure I walked quite a ways away before I thought about what could have led to an even larger disaster that my feeble attempt to hide my thoughts from Jason.

It wasn't the fact that Pa had called me or that he'd left those voicemails on my phone or  that I'd deleted them either.

It was the fact that part of me felt sorry for him.

It was the fact that I wanted to be there to comfort him.

It was the fact that I was beginning to miss him. 

I could never win.

Fuck my life.

A/N

1. I'm at college now folks. This was halfway typed when I got to school, so decided I should go ahead and finish it. It will probably the last one for quite a while. I have exams coming up and tons of quizes to study for. My lack of updates doesn't mean I've given up on this story. I have to maintain a 3.0 for my scholarships to remain renewable so I need to focus.

2. CAST CHANGE!!!!!! Amanda Seyfried Starring as Daisy Lynn!!! I have changed the picture in Chapter 1 so check it out if you'd like. I needed someone who had a face that looked more like Daisy Lynn. JLaw was okay, but I feel Amanda Seyfried has that pure face with an undertone of strength to it. It's how I imagine Daisy Lynn. Bordering on innocent, but she's been through too much so she will never tip the balance. It's a welcoming face that draws people to her. Makes you feel like you want/need to help her. The same way Jason and Myra helped out our favorite character.

3. Yes the picture on the side is Sharon Stone. This is also how I picture Daisy Lynn. Daisy Lynn is the perfect mixture of pureness and beauty. Not that I don't think Amanda Seyfried is pretty, but y'all should be able to understand what I mean. Young Sharon Stone was breathtaking. Plus this picture just kind of says it all to me. This picture says young and free. Althought Daisy Lynn is young and far from free, she is starting to grow into herself. She's young and beautiful and has a face/personality that draws you in. So if Sharon Stone were younger she'd probably be the star instead of Amanda, but oh well. I didn't want people thinking some old lady was playing as a seventeen year old. Also, I in no way mean to sound like I am attracted to these women. 

ANYWAYS although I won't be posting much, I will be jotting down ideas as I think of them (i have quite a few already thought out). Just remember I haven't given up. If I manage to get another chapter our before finals then it will probably be pure luck. Thanks for the reads and I hope you enjoy!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.7K 152 20
"You have powers." "She isn't even human!" "She has awakened the element, which hasn't been touched since Great War Between Nations!" "She may never...
39K 1.9K 49
'One person on their own may be able to save the world. But a team of friends, all working together, have a much greater chance of succeeding...provi...
1.5M 84.5K 76
My name is Tide. I'd love to say hi and all, but if I tell you my location two very bad things could happen. First, someone who isn't really on my l...
1.3K 136 39
((Originally, Phoenix)) “Leave me alone!” Her form flickered in the dim light. The brothers shared a look. “All right,” one started. “Just let us sa...