For A Reason {Mark Sloan} - C...

By runninginfear

" According to Greek Mythology, humans were originally created with four arms, four legs, and a head with two... More

one::
two::
three::
four::
five::
six::
seven::
eight::
nine::
ten::
eleven::
twelve::
thirteen::
fourteen::
fifteen::
sixteen::
seventeen::
eighteen::
Life is short.
nineteen ::
twenty::
twenty one::
twenty two::
twenty three::
twenty four::
twenty five:::
twenty six:::
twenty seven:::
twenty eight :::
twenty nine:::
thirty :::
thirty one:::
thirty two:::
thirty three:::
thirty four:::
thirty five:::
thirty six:::
thirty seven:::
thirty eight:::
thirty nine:::
forty:::
forty one:::
forty two:::
forty three:::
forty four:::
forty five:::
forty six:::
forty seven:::
THANK YOU
forty eight:::
forty nine:::
fifty::::
fifty one::::
fifty two::::
fifty four::::
fifty five:::::
fifty six::::
fifty seven::::
fifty eight:::::
fifty nine::::
The End.

fifty three::::

4K 109 22
By runninginfear

[ not so happy ten year anniversary ]

"Dad, I have a surgery," I said, "But I'll be done by the time you land, okay? I'll be there to pick you up and bring you back to your hotel."

"A hotel? I thought we were staying with you?" he asked.

"Well, I don't exactly have my own house right now," I scratched the back of my head.

"What? You don't have your own house? Still?"

"I know. I know. I'm working on it. I don't need that lecture right now."

"Alright, alright," he chuckled, "We can't wait to see you."

"I can't wait to see you guys either. There's so much stuff I have to tell you about and there's so many things we can do in Seattle."

"Can I finally meet that boyfriend of yours? Mark?" He asked.

"Uh, it's Ben, actually."

"The plastic surgeon, right? I could've sworn his name was Mark. God, I guess I'm getting old."

"No, dad, that is right. Mark's the plastic surgeon. I'm not dating him anymore."

"Oh, geez, I'm sorry. I didn't realize that. Oh, your brother's trying to get the phone from me. Bye honey. Love you. See you soon."

"See you soon, dad. Love you," I laughed, as I could hear the phone shuffle over to my brother.

"Hey, I couldn't stand to listen to dad embarrass himself and you at the same time anymore," my little brother said.

I laughed, "It's okay. It's typical dad."

"Yeah," Ian laughed.

"I'm really excited to see you guys. I can't believe you're already in your first year of college. My baby bro is all grown up!"

"Yeah, yeah. I know. You and everyone else," I could almost feel his eyes roll over the phone.

"Okay, well I won't keep you any longer. I got a surgery to prep for and I'm sure your plane starts boarding soon," I said.

"Yeah, pretty soon," he said, "Well, see you soon. Love you."

"Love you too my little college student! Maybe you'll follow in both your older sister's footsteps and go onto medical school! How exciting would that be?"

"Goodbye Brandy."

"Right. Sorry. See you soon."

The line hung up.

I was so proud of my little brother. He was an amazing kid, and I was really excited to see what's in store for his future. I was starting to get anxious that my dad wanted to meet Ben now. I could probably come up with some kind of excuse for them not to meet. It shouldn't be that hard.

I packed my stuff up and headed out the door. I had a quick surgery before they landed, that I was pretty excited for. I couldn't wait to get into the OR. It was my happy place. I had noticed that surgery had taken the place of the drugs. Surgery was my addiction now and I was okay with that. I was totally okay with that.

°°

"Alex said he'd cover some of my cases," I told Arizona after rounds.

"That's fine Dixon," Arizona said, "Go celebrate with your family, 10 years. That's something to celebrate."

"She's good to go for surgery, Dr.Robbins," Mark walked up to us, mostly looking at me, "What's this I hear about celebrating?"

"Oh, uh, Brandy's 10 year anniversary," Arizona smiled.

"Wow, congrats," Mark nodded to me, "Doubt you have any room for me to celebrate with you?"

I laughed, "Uh no. My dad and brother are flying back right now. It's kinda a family thing. Besides it's supposed to be a celebration. Wouldn't be much of a celebration with you there would it?"

"Thanks for the consult," Robbins sighed, as I walked away.

"Hey," she said, catching up with me, "What was all that about? He was just trying to be nice."

"A little late for that, don't you think?" I said, continuing to walk away.

"Come on, Brandy. You're both moved on, you're both dating someone new. Maybe it's time to put all that bad past behind you guys?" she suggested.

"Even if I wanted to, Ben would hate the idea. He would probably kill me and then Mark," I sighed, "You're right. From now on I'll keep things civil between us. At work at least."

"You're impossible sometimes," She sighed.

"Don't act like he isn't," I shook my head.

"Okay, you're right. I know what he did to you was so wrong and awful, but look what we got from it. Darling little Sofia," her face beamed.

"You mean look what you got from it. You, Callie, and Mark. I got nothing but pain. I'm happy for you guys. I really am, but everyone acts like something beautiful came out of this and it's just not true. Maybe for you guys but not me. I'm sick of everyone saying that," I shook my head.

"Brandy, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-

"I'm going to go prep for surgery," I walked off, angry. Maybe this day wasn't going to go as well as I thought.

°°

mark's pov

Derek and I sat in the attending's room together. Neither of us had much going on for awhile. Derek was doing some work with his research trial and I was thinking about Brandy, like usual. Ten years. I wanted so badly to celebrate with her. I wanted to be there with her but i couldn't. I probably never would be able to do again. Julia was amazing, but she wasn't Brandy. She'd never be Brandy.

I was pulled out of my thoughts, when I looked over at the TV.

"Derek," I said, my eyes not leaving the TV, "Derek!"

"Oh, wow. That's not good," he said, looking at the TV.

"Derek. Brandy's dad and brother were flying in from Minneapolis today," I looked at him.

He looked at me then back at the screen, "They could be on another flight. It's probably not their's."

"No, I remember," I shook my head, "She said they were flying back now."

"Okay, just relax," Derek told me.

"She can't find out about this. I don't want her worrying about it until she needs to," I said, starting to get up.

"Whoa, whoa, Mark. Relax. She's in a surgery with Robbins right now. Let's try and find out what we can about this and not worry, alright?" he reassured me.

"Right," I nodded.

I looked down at my side as both our pagers went off, "Dammit. From Hunt."

"We must be getting all the patients," Derek said.

"Brandy can't find out," I looked at him.

"You go find Brandy and I'll tell Hunt."

Without any hesitation, I shot out of the room and looked for Brandy.

"Karev!" I shouted down the hallway.

"Hey, did you get that page too?" he asked.

"Have you seen Brandy?" I asked, completely ignoring his question.

"Uh, she's prepping for a surgery," he said.

I ran upstairs to the OR floor. I was running so fast I didn't even notice Brandy as she was walking down the hallway.

"Ow! What the hell!" she said, pushing herself up to a sit and rubbing her head.

"Ah shit," I said, outstretching a hand to her, "I'm sorry. Are you okay?"

"No, my surgery got cancelled! And also that really hurt! Watch where you're going!" she shouted at me.

"I'm sorry, Brands. Are you okay?" I titled my head down to look at her.

"I'm fine, and it's Dr.Dixon. Not Brands," she started to walk away.

"Hey! Wait, what happened with the surgery?" I asked.

"I don't know. Apparently all surgeries got cancelled. I got a page from Hunt, I gotta go," she said, turning around walking away.

"Brand-Uh-Dixon! Wait!"

"What," she turned around, growling at me.

"It seems like you hit your head pretty hard," I told her, "Maybe you should have someone check it out for you."

"I'm fine," she turned around.

"Brandy," I placed my hand on her arm.

She flinched violently and backed away from me. I was confused. Was she that afraid of me? I couldn't even touch her arm without her freaking out? Had I really done that much damage to her? I was that awful?

"Let me check it out, please. It will take just a few minutes," I told her, "Come on."

"Fine. You get two minutes," she said.

I took her to one of the trauma rooms, doing my best to make sure she didn't see or hear anything about the crash. 

"Wait right here," I told her, as she sat down in one of the beds, "I'm going to go let Owen know what's happening, okay?"

"I said, two minutes. Honestly I think I'm fine. My name is Brandy Dixon. I'm at Seattle Grace-Mercy Death hospital. The date is May 30th of 2012. Today is my ten year anniversary of being clean. I'm really fine."

"Let me check in with Owen, then two minutes."

"Fine," she rolled her eyes.

"Wait right here," I told her.

"Okay, okay, relax."

"I'm serious. You'll stay right here?" I asked again, as I stood in the doorway about to leave.

"Not if you keep bothering me about it! What do you want to handcuff me to the bed? And do not make a perverted joke about that," she gave me a stare.

"Alright, I'm sorry and I wasn't even thinking about it!" I said, before running out of the room.

I went out to the main lobby, where Hunt had gathered everyone. 

"Alright. Quiet everyone!" he hushed everyone, "A 757 went down in the sound. We're looking at about 200 injured passengers. We're the designated crisis center. Families are going to be instructed to come here to find their loved ones. We are activating surge protocol. It's going to be chaotic. You're going to need to listen carefully. You need to stay focused. Do not contribute to the panic. It's come to my attention that Dr.Dixon has some family members on that flight. Word does not get to her until they've been brought in. I want someone with her until we figure this out."

"I'm on it," I raised a hand.

"Thanks, Dr.Sloan," he nodded.

"Now the rest of you get to your stations!" 

"What's going on?" 

I turned around and saw Brandy standing behind me.

"Brandy! I told you to stay in the trauma room!" I quietly scolded her.

"And I told you I'm fine."

"Brandy! Come on, let me check you out!" I said.

"No, tell me what the hell is going on!" she yelled back at me.

"Hey, what's going on here?" Hunt approached us.

"She hit her head pretty bad. I think she needs it checked out," I turned to Hunt.

"Owen, I'm fine! Brandy Dixon. Seattle Grace Mercy West. 2012! See? Now can either of you tell me what the hell is happening?"

"There was a massive car pile up and we're expecting a lot of patients, but before you can do anything. I need you to get checked out by Sloan. If you're good to go, start transferring or some of the non-critical patients in Peds over to Seattle Pres. or discharging them if they're ready. And you don't breathe a word about this to anyone, got it?" 

"A school bus?" She frowned, "Today's going to be rough, okay."

"I know it will, but I'm going to need you to bring your a game today, alright?" Hunt looked to her.

"You got it chief," she nodded.

"Sloan will be helping you out," Hunt added.

"I don't need help, if I do I'll go to Robbins," she looked at Hunt in confusion.

"Dixon, that's an order," he said, before walking away.

"Let's just get this over with," she sighed, "I'm probably not going to get off early anymore. I was supposed to pick up my brother and dad."

I felt crushed hearing her say that. I wasn't sure if I agreed with Owen lying to her about it. But maybe it was better for her not to be worrying about it. It was better if she didn't know about it until she needed to. She could just work and help us out. Make things easier for when they brought in her dad and brother, or if they did.

The paper on the bed made a crunching noise as she sat down, "Okay, come on we got a lot of work to do."

"Right," I nodded, grabbing the flashlight and shining it in her eyes, "Looks good to me. Now follow my finger."

I watched her eyes move as she followed my finger. She seemed okay today, but soon that was all about to be ruined.

"We can skip the rest," she said, "Let's go."

"Are you sure you feel okay? You can sit this one out if you want," I suggested. 

"No, I'm fine really. I gotta get going. I'm good without you," She said.

"Brandy, Chief's orders," I told her.

"Owen's not even really chief," she shrugged.

"Look, I know this may be uncomfortable for you to be working with me or whatever, but there are going to be times like this where we'll have to work together. You're with that Brad guy and I'm with Julia. There shouldn't be any reason for us to be uncomfortable together. We've moved on, right?"

"Right," She nodded with a smile.

brandy's pov

"There shouldn't be any reason for us to be uncomfortable together," Mark said, "We've moved on, right?"

His words stung. I hadn't moved on. I thought I'd never move on. I couldn't do it.

"Right," I nodded, putting on a smile, "And his name is Ben."

"Oh, right sorry," he said, putting away the flashlight and snapping his gloves off.

"I agree with you though, I'm ready to have things be civil with us," I said, "I'm sorry if I've acted immature towards you."

"You know, I probably deserved it."

"Maybe just a little," I shrugged my shoulders.

°°

"Transferred? I don't understand. Dr.Karev and Dr.Robbins are her doctors."

"I'm sorry, Mrs.Morrison, but we're expecting a pretty decent sized flow of patients and we need to clear the beds," I told her, "Seattle Presbyterian is a great hospital. You'll be in good hands."

I walked away, over to the nurses' station.

"How's it going?" Mark asked.

"Okay, I feel awful. These parents are so confused. I can't tell them anything."

"We're almost done, just a few more," He said.

"You're right," I nodded.

"I'm going to finish up and then get down to the ER, see if there's anything else I can do," I said, before walking over to my next room.

"Is it true?" a boy asked me.

"Is what true?" I frowned.

"There was a plane crash! Right here in Seattle. And they're kicking us out, so the people in the crash can come here," he said.

"I'm sorry," his mom apologized, "He misheard some doctors talking, I guess. He gets a lot of crazy ideas sometimes."

"It's okay," I shook my head, "I'm not really supposed to being say much, there was a big crash apparently, multiple car pile up."

"Oh dear, that's not good," she shook her head, and stroked her son's hair.

"I saw it on the news, mom! A plane crash!" he said, imitating explosion noises.

"Jeremey! Enough, please!"

"Excuse me, for one second," I said, stepping out of the room, "Mark?"

"What's up?" He turned around.

"You lied to me. Didn't you?" I frowned.

"What are you talking about?" He said.

"Shut up. There was a plane crash. What are you keeping from me?" She started to get angry.

"Alright, I didn't want you to worry. It's not the plane your brother or dad or on, okay?" He said.

"I can't believe you lied to me. We finally agreed to keep things civil between us and you immediately go and lie to me! You should've just told me the truth from the beginning!" I screamed at him before walking off.

mark's pov

"Brandy! Wait!" I sighed, as my pager went off. 

I hurried down to the ER. When I got down there, I saw everyone gathered around. Well, everyone but Brandy.

"Emergency services has begun identifying bodies," Hunt said, "They've given us a list. We've got airline reps on their way. We've got social workers coming. It's a long list. Each of you have families to inform."

"So, uh, please be outside the cafeteria in exactly one hour. You'll call one family at a time and be assigned a room to take them to and deliver the news. It's going to be a long day."

"That's it," Hunt said.

"Wait! Everyone stop!" I shouted, "Check your list for Dixon."

It was silent, as everyone checked. I held my breath. I was starting to think that maybe they made it out. Maybe they were okay.

"I do," Avery sighed.

"Give it to me," I barked at him, ripping the paper out of his hand.

He was right. There they were.

Ian Dixon and Bill Dixon.

I ran my hand through my hair. My heart dropped. It wasn't fair. This wasn't happening.

"Sloan, talk to me. What's on that sheet," Webber said.

"It's her dad and brother," I sighed.

The room fell silent, people quietly continued to walk out, others stayed behind.

"Alright, we'll find someone to-"

"I want to be the one who does it. I need to do it," I looked at Webber.

"Are you sure, Sloan?" Hunt asked me.

"I'm sure," I nodded.

"Okay, one hour," Hunt repeated.

I nodded my head, not yet grasping the fact that I was about to do the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

°°

It had been about an hour and I went with Arizona to go find Brandy.

I felt horrible. I didn't know how I was supposed to tell her, but I knew I had to. Brandy had lost so much these past few months, especially the last few years, I wish it would just stop. There's always some shit happening around here. I knew being a doctor I'd see a lot of people dying but I didn't think it would be like this, so many people I knew.

When I finally found Brandy, she was in a little girl's room, stethoscope in her ear. I watched her for a couple minutes. She looked so happy, she loved working with the kids. Now I was the one to take that away. I already had, I was about to do it again. I had to tell her she no longer had a father or a younger brother. I should be used to this right? I did it all the time, but this time, it was different. Very different. I had to tell the woman I love, her father and brother were dead. Gone.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath in before poking my head in the room, "Dr.Dixon may I have a word please?"

"Uhm, I'm kinda busy uh right now, Dr.Sloan," her smile faded, I didn't even have to tell her about her dad and Ian. Just her seeing my face did the trick. She was clearly still upset about lying to her.

"Dr.Robbins is gonna take over for you, I need you for something. It's important," I said.

"Dr.Sloan," she said, but before she could finish, Arizona slipped in.

"Dr.Dixon, I'll cover for you real quick okay?" she smiled.

"I don't understand what's going on?" the girl's mother asked, "Is something wrong?"

"Everything's fine Mrs.Brady, Dr.Dixon is just needed somewhere else so I'm gonna take over for a little bit," Arizona smiled.

"Brandy, please. Come on," I said, softly.

She hesitantly followed me out of the room, "What the hell is going on? What do you need that's so important that you had to pull me our of there like that and embarrass me?"

"Brandy, please," I said, my eyes heavy and tired.

"God, Mark," She scoffed, "What? Is this something important? Because I don't feel like talking about things right now."

"Yes," I nodded, "It's-It's important. Come downstairs please," I said.

She sighed and followed me downstairs to a conference room.

"What are we doing in here?" She asked.

"Just, uh, sit down," I said.

"What?" She asked sitting down, "I don't really want to talk to you right now."

"Uh, Brandy," I said sitting down and leaning close to her, "There's been an accident."

"Well yeah, we're in a hospital those happen all the time around here. I was trying to work on that, before you rudely pulled me out."

"A plane crash," I said, softly.

"Right, those happen sometimes," her voice faded and her breathing got heavy, "Wait."

"Brandy," I started.

She looked over to her left outside the room, where a doctor was consoling a crying woman, "What's happening?"

"They haven't found any survivors yet, but they did find uh," I said, "They found-"

"No, no, no. No!" she screamed, and stood up, "Don't fucking say it! Don't tell me-"

"Brandy, Brandy," I said grabbing her arm.

"Don't- Let go, there could be patients coming in from the crash, we need to help them," She said.

"Brandy, they found your brother and father, I-I'm sorry," I said.

"They're okay, though," she said, "I know they are. My-my brother is so strong. He's fine. He's starting college! Isn't that exciting!"

"Brandy," I shook my head.

"What surgery do they need? We can do it. I know we can do it. We have you, and Derek. We have Derek fucking Shepherd! We can fix this! He can fix it!"

"Brandy, they didn't make it," I looked into her eyes, "I'm sorry. I'm really sorry."

"No, no, no," she said quietly, shaking her head.

"Why don't I take you home," I offered.

"No, no you're wrong. You're just lying to me again. Again. You always do this!"

Her words shattered my heart into a million pieces.

"Where's Owen? He'll know what's happening. You don't know. You're wrong. Where is he?" she said, opening the door, "Owen! Owen!"

She started to break down, "Owen! Please!"

He came out of one of the rooms and his eyes met mine, they were heavy and mournful as he realized what was happening.

"Owen!" She ran up to him, "You made a mistake. You had to have made a mistake."

"Brandy, I'm going to have Dr.Sloan drive you home, okay?" 

"No!" She screamed, as she fell to the ground, sobbing, "No!"

"Sloan," Hunt looked to me.

"Brandy, let's go," I said reaching down and picking her up.

She wrapped her arms around me and buried her head into my chest, as she sobbed. A few people stared, as she sobbed. I just held her tightly. 

"I know, I know," I whispered to her.

"Oh, Mark," Lexie sighed, as I walked past her and Jackson.

I looked over to my other side and saw Derek holding Meredith close.

I continued walking. I brought her to an on-call room and laid her down.

"I'm going to call Ben, okay?" I said, grabbing her phone, out of her pocket.

"No," she shook her head, "No, please don't."

"Are you sure?" I frowned.

"Yes, please don't," she continued to sob.

"Okay," I set down her phone, the latest thing that popped up,a text from her dad.

'Can't wait to see you. Miss u & luv u.'

"Happy ten years clean to me," she said through her sobs.

I pulled her closer to me and she wrapped her arms around me. I didn't know what to do. She didn't want Ben for whatever reason. What could I do for her? She hated me. 

"It's not worth it."

"What?" I asked her.

"I need it," she cried again.

"No, you dont," I stroked her hair.

"Yes, I do."

°°

Sorry. Sorry.

First because this chapter kinda sucked and was confusing.

Second, because I just killed off half of Brandy's family. Ouch.

But let me know what you thought and what you think is going to happen next. Are Mark and Brandy going to get back together? What's going to happen with Ben!? Ahhh! There's so much happening right now. Man it's getting crazy. And something else exciting, less than ten chapters until the end of the book. What!! I can't believe it. Okay, I'll stop talking and let you get on with your life, but once again thanks for everything! We've been fluctuating in and out of the #1 slot for the greysanatomy tag, so that's awesome!! Thanks again and see you real soon! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5K 119 13
Fem!OC x Alex Karev Fem!OC x Mark Sloan Fem!OC x Male!OC Season 1 - ?? (Started: february 2024) Nadine O'Malley always wanted to be a surgeon, she di...
447K 13.2K 57
š€š‹š–š€š˜š’ | grey's anatomy š‰š€š‚šŠš’šŽš š€š•š„š‘š˜ when they face problems but they were always meant to be ...or are they? š¬šžššš¬šØš§ š­š°ļæ½...
90.2K 3.6K 39
Part 1 of Where We Might End Up Series A familiar face from Derek and Mark's past arrives at Seattle Grace Hospital - a former student, a brother, an...
165K 5.7K 29
IN WHICH Courtney Grey starts her residency and has to be a mentor to four unknowing interns, while figuring out that a certain someone means more to...