The Wonderful World of Skullg...

Autorstwa Spitfire94

'The Player' arrives in the Canopy Kingdom to find the Skull Heart and make a wish of his own... Ignorant foo... Więcej

Story Index
Chapter 0: Ladies and Gentlemen, it's showtime!
- Encore: Chapter 0 -
Chapter 1: Tracking the Artifact
- Encore: Chapter 1 -
Fukua?
Chapter 2: Two Clowns and a Cat
- Encore: Chapter 2 -
Chapter 3: Royal Drama
- Encore: Chapter 3 -
Chapter 4: Awakening
- Encore: Chapter 4 -
Chapter 5: Revelations
- Encore: Chapter 5 -
Sidetracked Chapter 1: Rebirth
Chapter 6: Normal Lives
- Encore: Chapter 6 + 7 -
Sidetracked Chapter 2: Roomates
Sidetracked Chapter 3: Like Parasite, Like Host
Halloween Special: A Nightmare in Canopy Pt.1
Halloween Special: A Nightmare in Canopy Pt.2
Halloween Special: A Nightmare in Canopy Finale
Omake
Chapter 8: Seasons Beatings
Chapter 9: What Really Matters
- Encore: Chapter 8 + 9 (Christmas Special 2017) -
Sidetracked Chapter 4: Chaining Memories
Omake 2
Intermission: The Timeline
Chapter 10: Fatal Obsession
Class Notes #1: Primordial Parasites
Sidetracked Chapter 5: Aftermath
Sidetracked Chapter 6: The Grand War
Valentine's Day Special (2018)
Writer Update(2019)
Writer Update: Cancelling This Story
Chapter 11: Crime and the City Pt. 1
Chapter 12: Crime and the City Pt. 2
Omake 3
Sidetracked Chapter 7: Being Sisters
Sidetracked Chapter 8: The Truth
Sidetracked Chapter 9: The Weight of Goodness
Omake 4
Omake 5
Chapter 13: Return of the Howl
Writer Update(2021) + Extras
Sidetracked Chapter 10: Wulfamania 101
Writer Update: Scrapped Chapters
Sidetracked Chapter 11: Preserving Bonds
Chapter 14: The Wulf, the Fool, and the Star Child Pt. 1
Chapter 15: The Wulf, the Fool, and the Star Child Pt. 2
Chapter 15.5: Divine Intervention
Valentine's Day Special (2022)
Class Notes #2: Mind, Body, and Soul
Writer Update (2022)
Chapter 16: New Beginnings
Chapter 16.5: Thread of Sacrifice
Sidetracked Chapter 12: Science and Madness
Chapter 17: Bad Deeds, Good People
Chapter 17.5: Thread of Aspiration
Sidetracked Chapter 13: Setting the Stage
Class Notes #3: Synchronizing 101
Sidetracked Chapter 14: Deadlocked
Chapter 18: Unfinished Business
Chapter 18.5: Thread of Will
Sidetracked Chapter 15: Back on Track
Sidetracked Chapter 16: Routine Checkup
Sidetracked Chapter 17: Rekindled Light
Class Notes #4: Key Memories
Chapter 19: Being Human
Omake 6
Chapter 20: Nexus Verse
Sidetracked Chapter 18: The Holy Trinity
Writer Update(2023)
100k Milestone
Sidetracked Chapter 19: New Dawn
Writer Update(2024)
A/N: Real Quick, Gang

Chapter 7: Heart-to-Heart

1.9K 36 3
Autorstwa Spitfire94

Noon was finally upon Canopy and the brutal rush finally eased up now that most of the younger customers were in school.

The Player was on break while Feng, Filia and Squigly were all free to go home since they were under 18 and didn't have to work the same hours as the Player, the only exception was Squigly, she was the senior of the group at 28 years of age after all, but her physical appearance was that of a teenager so she got privilege of leaving early. Regarding the Player it was never established how old he actually was but, for a rough estimate, he had to be around 18 years or so - older than Filia but younger than Parasoul.

The Player, Filia, Squigly and Feng were out in town enjoying their free time at a bakery, snacking on sweets after a busy day. The three girls stood outside waiting for the Player to join them.

Feng opened wide and bit down on a jelly filled doughnut. The powdery white sugar on the surface made a small mess around her mouth as she chewed. "Mmm! That's so good."

"Certainly is." Filia spoke between chews on a piece of hot cinnamon bun. "I'm glad we were able to finally check this place out, Squigly."

"I feel the same." She agreed. Following her friends lead Squigly broke a piece of her strawberry shortcake with a plastic knife and brought it up to her mouth only to realize she was unable to bypass the stitches after accidentally hitting them. Her eye peered over to Feng who observed curiously. "...Heh. Actually, I'm not all that hungry right now."

She was obviously lying as traces of disappointment could be seen on her face after she laid the fork and cake back inside its small triangular container to save it for later. Leviathan was going to have to consume the cake for her in order to receive the nourishment but what's better than getting to feel the cake melt away on your own tongue.

"Why not just take the costume off?" Feng suggested. "Aren't those stitches just for show?"

Squigly raised her sleeve up to her mouth to cover the stitches. "Oh, um-"

"Actually how are you able to do that thing where you speak without using your mouth?" Feng asked another question almost immediately after the first.

"That's-"

Feng took a closer step making Squigly back her head away from the sudden intrusion of her personal space. "And how do you make that echo after talking? Do you have some kind of voice box device?"

"I-I-I... Uh, Filia?"

Filia wasn't going to be of any help and she knew that the moment Squigly called her name out assistance - the only thing Filia could do was shrug her shoulders while holding a grin of uncertainy.

Luckily the Player was finally done inside the bakery and had his bag of treats. "Ok, I got everything."

Squigly seizes this moment as her get out of jail free card by wrapping one arm around the Player's and pointing to the distance with the other. "Oh! Would you look at the time! It's time for us to get going. It was really nice meeting you, Feng!"

"...Sienna, what are you doing?" The Player had lowered his head to whisper down to her.

"She keeps asking questions about my 'costume'. I clearly don't have any answers for this!" She replied in similar tone though with a bit of panic.

The Player retracts his arm from Squigly's grip and stands upright. "Well I can't just leave. I'm only on break, I got about 25 minutes left before I head back in for work."

"Oh yeah. What time will you be home?" Squigly asked.

"Around 5, the usual."

"If you'd like, Filia and I can stick around and-"

"No. Just go home and wait till I get back."

He came off as rather stern instantly making Squigly see how serious he was, but this only made her feel unwanted. She slightly lowers her head and stands in silence.

It wasn't hard to see that she wasn't feeling good about it, making the Player sigh. "I won't be long."

"But-!" She looks up only to have the Player lay his hand down upon her head.

"Don't worry. I'll bring home food and we can all eat together. If you really want to help then just wait for me. You understand?"

She didn't but wasn't in the mood to protest with her current mindset regarding his feelings toward her. "Yeah. I guess." Squigly didn't even bother to make eye contact when answering.

He could tell she was just saying that but he didn't have time to sit here down for a talk. He gave Squigly a pat on the shoulder for assurance and turned to Filia. "I'll be back soon."

"I know. Just take it easy."

"I always do."

"Oh?" Filia challenged that statement with a doubting smile. The Player knew that look anywhere and playfully huffs at her gesture, he then held his fist up to her. "Just because your nickname is 'Player' doesn't mean you can just try and play me. You and I both know that's not true." She chuckled and had her fist meet with his.

"Maaaaaybe." He laughs a bit with her. "Well, anyway, I'm off to see a friend before heading back to work so look after each other on the way back." He then turns to Feng. "I'll catch you later, Feng."

"Right." She nods. "See you tomorrow." As the girls watch him depart Feng stretches her arms out and faces Filia and Squigly. "I should be heading off too. Work might be over but I still have to focus on my training back at the circus. Gotta stay in shape, right?"

Filia wasn't sure she was in the right position to answer that considering she was quite plump from all of Samson's eating on top of her own habits but she plays along anyway, "R-Right! Hehe... Once I get in I'm gonna work out and stuff. Nyhahaha! Ehehe... Eeeeeh..." that dorky laugh wasn't going to fool anyone, just looking at her and anybody could tell she was saying that just to say it but the Dagonian girl didn't mind as she just laughs with her.

"Work up a sweat for the both of us, Filia." Feng winks at her and gives a supporting thumbs up.

"Heh. I will. See you tomorrow, Feng."

The gang was now split down to Filia and Squigly. As Filia waves goodbye to their new friend Squigly remained unusually quiet.

"Guess we should start heading back." Filia said now looking to a meloncholly Squigly.

"Yeah." The disappointment in her tone was rather apparent causing Filia to worry a bit.

"Squigly, what's wrong?"

"Nothing."

Filia placed her hands on her hips and waited to see if Squigly would change her mind, Squigly reads Filia's body language and realizes her friend wasn't convinced but remains quiet in hopes of getting off the subject.

"Don't lie to me. Is it because of the Player? It's ok, you can talk to me. What's on your mind?"

"...I don't think he wants me around."

"Why would you think that?"

"Do you see how he acts around me? Between never wanting me outside and never wanting my help with anything it just begins to show. Hedoesn't have to say it himself because actions speak louder than words."

"He's like that with me too. I suppose he is a bit overprotective but he only wants the best for us. I admit there are times when I'm often...vexed by that kind of behavior because it feels as if he doesn't trust me enough to help. I don't say anything about it because I don't want him to worry, especially since he's already exhausted himself out, trying to balance work in order to keep a roof over our heads and figuring out this new power."

"...Sounds like pride." Samson spoke from underneath Filia's hat, just low enough for the two of them to hear. "He didn't get that way until that nonsense about being 'special' surfaced."

"You really think so, Samson?" Filia asked knowing that could very well be a possibility.

"I do but it's anyone's guess. Just let him do whatever he feels is right. Sooner or later he'll realize he's working himself to the ground, trying to do everything on his own."

Samson's hypothesis was able to shed new light for Squigly. The Player didn't seem like the type of guy who just wouldn't want her around, in fact his generosity of allowing her to live with Filia and himself proved that wasn't the case, it was rough with three because they were already tight on room with just the two of them, the name 'Poorman's Hotel' wasn't just for show.

Meanwhile the Player was making haste to reach his destination. He took many shortcuts throughout the restless districts of Downtown and came across familiar territory, the road he traversed lead to the ruins of the Grand Cathedral. He bypassed many restricted and construction signs however there was no construction being done, perhaps this was just an extra precaution to keep the public away and nothing more.

In the depths of the ruined Skullgirls hideout Marie was lying on an old wooden bed in the fetal position. As she laid with her eyes closed there was a disturbance in the area which alerted her. She rises in a mild panic and faces the entrance of her hidden chamber in a battle ready stance.

The door opens and the Player walks in only to see Marie assuming a defensive position. He quickly throws his hands into the air to show he meant no harm.

"Easy, it's just me." He spoke calmly.

"Oh. Sorry." She wasted no time with an apology and sat down on the bed.

"It's cool. It's not like you attacked me or anything so no harm done." He lowered his hands and held up the bag he had from the sweets shop. "I got you something."

Marie sees the bag with its cute mascot on the front but it didn't seem to change her expressionless glare. "You're still bringing me food? I told you I don't need it."

The Player walks over to the bed and lays the bag on the mattress. "Yeah, yeah, Skullgirl immunity and all that. I get it."

"So why do you keep coming here with it?"

"Well, it's not about needing it or not... It's about feeling normal. I guess. You've spent most of your time angry and pursuing revenge I just thought it'd be nice if you could remember what it was like when you didn't have to worry about all that."

Marie wasn't sure how to respond so she instead watches as he reached into the bag.

"Look, I got cookies!" He spoke in a cheerful tone but it would only make him feel a bit awkward since she didn't respond and kept a straight face. "You should try one."

She looks over to the bag but remains quiet.

The Player bites the cookie and shrugs his shoulders with a smile. "Or not. Perhaps I should go." He turns around and takes the first step toward the exit.

"...Wait."

"Hm?"

"...I'm sorry. I'm grateful for the kind gesture."

"Oh yeah?" He turns back to her with a look of intrigue.

"You don't have to-"

Before she could even finish her sentence the Player jumped onto her mattress taking her by surprise.

"Way ahead of you."

He rolls onto his backside to make his smiling face apparent, he was actually delighted to see that the bed was soft and quite comfortable, but Marie was nearly bounced off to the side because of him.

Once Marie was settled she disapprovingly shakes her head at his actions, but it fit him and she couldn't even get mad.

A bit of time has passed and the two were sitting beside one another on the bed, their backs resting against the wall while the bag of treats was between them, the Player was doing all the eating and Marie was still observing the first cookie she picked up.

"...Hm. What kind of cookie is this?" She asked.

The Player looks over to her and wipes the crumbs from his mouth using his forearm. "That's a- Uh..." Not having a clue himself he digs into the bag and took out the paper that came with his purchase, it was a list of all the cookies "It's called a 'Bredele'. Oooh, fancy. It's a foreign cookie. Why not take a bite?"

She takes a second gander at the cookie and tucks her lips in, initially hesitant
. She opens her mouth and takes a bite. "Oh!" She displays a jolt of surprise.

"Well?"

"It's good."

"See? I knew you'd like it. Here," he sat the bag in her lap "eat up. There's plenty."

Marie looks down to the bag and then back at the Player. "Have you ever realized you're too nice?"

"Too nice?"

"Yes. I mean... Why are you doing this for me? I'm a Skullgirl. You're always taking time out of your day to see how I'm doing. If you're not here for that then you're bringing food and just sitting here. You even stopped your friend from taking my life when I was defenseless, by allowing her to kill me you would've done the world a great favor for the next seven years. Aren't you afraid that your kindness will end up hurting you?"

"I guess you just kind of rubbed off on me." He chuckled.

"I don't follow."

"Ever since I got here you've done nothing but help me. Out of the kindness of your heart, you helped me see the bigger picture. It's because of you I'm friends with Filia and Sienna. It's because of you that I'm able to bring out that amazing power they have, and let's not forget that without you I wouldn't have been able to save Umbrella."

He thought back to Marie's explanation on why she became the Skullgirl in the first place: "I accepted the Skull Heart in hopes of challenging a world run through with corruption." This revelation of selflessness on Marie's end truly put her situation in perspective for the Player.

He gently clenched his hands into fists thinking about how much Marie had to suffer to get where she was, he was unable to bear the thought of leaving her to continue living such a hard life on her own.

"You became the Skullgirl to change the world. You were willing to become what everyone feared and hated to make a difference as long as it meant taking a step in the right direction. They say the Skullgirl causes death, but you saved people with your power."

Marie went quiet after his speech. The moment they shared reminded her of a time she spent with a friend she cherished before becoming the Skullgirl.

"If being too kind means getting hurt because I help people like you then so be it. You're my friend and I care enough to be willing to hurt for you. The Skull Heart... I don't know how, but I'm going to find some way to get you out of this mess, Marie."

It was naïve of him to think this way, no matter how much he hoped or wished for a different outcome the fate of the Skullgirl was going to be the same, one way or another, and Marie knew this better than anyone, but something in her heart felt it would've been wrong to declare him as a fool for keeping a glimmer of hope since her choice in taking the Skull Heart was done in hopes of saving the world. She hadn't even realized how much alike they were.

Marie closed her eyes and leans over, resting her head on the Player's shoulder, much to his surprise.

The Player doesn't say a word, choosing to let her enjoy this moment of peace. He looks forward and lays his head back against the wall.

'...Patricia.' A name Marie mentally mentions to herself in a saddened tone.

There was never a time Marie was able to find it in herself to show genuine happiness. She didn't realize her emotional misery was eating away at the last remnant of her humanity.

She often wondered why she had to endure what she did at such a young age, before she became a Skullgirl, back when she would often pray without knowing who she was even praying to, but when she was desperate for answers she continuously turned to forces beyond her comprehension, forces that would eventually lead her to the Skull Heart.

The Skull Heart, the main cause of all the grief and horrors Canopy had to endure for so many years. Where did it come from and why does it exist to spread death? Why corrupt women and turn them into monsters? Many questions that remain unanswered to this day.

For most people the origin of the artifact doesn't matter, what does matter is seeing the Skullgirl meet her end so they can live peaceful lives.

...

Within the Canopy Kingdom lies a group of talented individuals who dedicate their lives to fighting in order to keep the peace against the Skullgirls tyranny: the Anti-Skullgirl Labs. This organization is home to a wealth of agents who put their lives on the line to develop special tools or provide human enhancements to combat the almighty threat of the Skullgirl.

Lab 0: The secret lab. Research Skullgirl blood

Lab 1 and 2: Research labs which developed technology for the other labs

Lab 3: Super soldier development

Lab 4: Handheld weapon and vehicle development

Lab 5: Specialized weapons

Lab 6: Theonite research

Lab 7: Medical/Drug research

Lab 8: Synthetic parasites

Lab 8 was easily the most progressive of the Anti-Skullgirls Labs, specializing in the development of manmade parasites, however since they are not true natural parasites, most of them do not have any sentience. Recently Lab 8 has made a breakthrough...

A handful of fellow Lab 8 agents gather in a dimly lit room where a large collection of TV's stacked together in front of a small couch, apparently running multiple classic silent cartoon's at once. There were three agents, an elderly man and two younger recruits, one male, one female.

"Leduc, Hive..." The elder began to speak revealing the names of the younger agents. "Meet, Peacock, Lab 8's magnum opus!" The elder held out his arm as if presenting a new invention.

Leduc was a young man with blonde hair and Hive had a fashionably contrasting warm pink color going on. The two look down to the chair and the only thing they notice is a little girl in a top hat watching the cartoons.

"So this is Project: Peacock!" Leduc states while further examining the young girl from behind. "I've read your papers, but I'm embarrassed to say that I can barely follow them."

"I'll explain." The elder had no hesitation in jumping right into an explanation. "Project: Peacock is equipped with not one, but two synthetic parasites. Lab 0 created one other like her, but more...extreme methods were required to complete the synchronization."

Hive's mind was particularly drawn to the girl unique looking appendages which appears as two slender metallic 'arms' with metallic 'eyes' placed at intervals on each arm.

"Two synthetic parasites?" Hive questioned curiously at the news. "Regulating the soul contamination must be difficult."

The elder nods for confirmation. "Indeed, but with the proper Theonite balance, I think we could graft even more onto future subjects. The Argus system not only lets her see everything, but the eyes generate powerful Z-rays at the precise wavelength needed to disrupt a Skullgirl's presence."

He was referring the girl's mechanical like limbs, her 'arms' were the Argus Agony system. While the three were conversating the noise was, ironically, getting in the way of the girl's silent cartoon. She looks over her right shoulder, eyes heavily shadowed only to reveal a sharp toothy mouth housing a comically large cigar that you would only see in a cartoon.

"Hey, gramps... Shut it – I'm busy here."

The man sighs while Leduc and Hive look on rather surprised at her response to their conversation. "The Avery Unit is... admittedly a bit less well-understood." He continued to explain while scratching the back of his grey hair. "We designed it to be a spatial link between her body and Lab 8's vast underground arsenal, but... she's doing things with it I never imagined possible."

Even after letting them know she was trying to enjoy her cartoons the older participants continued to talk over her show. She lowers her head in slight annoyance.

"Seriously, Doc – shut it! It's getting to the good part!"

They all look down to the girl once more after seeing that she really wanted her peace. She was accompanied by a small bird, who was interestingly dressed just like her, the bird was named Avery and was the Avery Unit the elder spoke of just moments prior. The two were joined by a small bomb with arms and legs. The trio looked like they were ripped right out of a classic American 1930's cartoon who were also watching cartoons that appeared similar to them.. It's a mind freak but was somehow normal.

Giving them the quiet she requested the three older agents move away to let her enjoy her many shows.

"To think... that poor, mutilated orphan I found may be the one to defeat the Skullgirl once and for all." The elder spoke with a shake of the head just thinking of the horrors that transpired in the past.

The Past...

Multiple black and white flashes of two young girls go by as if looking back on the past. The two were always seen together, playing, smiling, laughing, eating and enjoying fun times in their pajama's when it came time for bed which hinted at a deep friendship. Their laughter is cut to black.

"You have to have a little faith." The voice of the Player is heard.

A clear view of the Player is seen talking while in the perspective of Marie. Squigly could be seen standing behind him and Filia watched on the side, showing that what was happening was a peak of the past, just a few weeks ago after the battle with Double.

An emotionally unfazed Marie looks on at him, maintaining the same voided glare. The glare shifts everything back to black.

"You want faith? 'Faith' and 'hope' is a lie. You're far too naive." Marie's voice responds in the dark.

Multiple flashes of the kids once again goes by, one of the girls was becoming increasingly familiar in appearance.

"Patricia, look! Doesn't this look good on me?" The girl dressed in the maid outfit twirled around happily to show off her dress. The name 'Patricia', just like the one Marie mentioned earlier.

The figure of the other girl, who was shrouded in light, pulls on the familiar girls arm. "No fair! I want one too!"

There were a few flashes that skip ahead to both girls donning maid outfits. The visions become clear and the girl who mentioned the name Patricia appeared very similar to Marie in appearance, the only difference being a bright and happy smile.

A few skips later and the flashes take a very dark turn as the nations are seen in the middle of war which was stopped as the rise of Nancy as the Skullgirl rose. With the three kingdoms sharing a common enemy they team up and fight the Skullgirl together but it came at the price of crime skyrocketing.

Bandits flooded the land and human trafficking became a normality. The two girls are seen hiding away under a bed as gunfire pierces their bedroom walls during a violent raid. Skip ahead and the Medici's are seen having a hand in the chaos. The girls are found and are dragged away like dogs on leashes.

"These two will do nicely." One of the Medici muscle says while throwing the two girls in the back of a truck along with a handful of other scared children.

As the truck is being driven away the girl who's figure is covered in light is seen comforting the crying doppelganger of Marie. "Don't be scared. We'll be alright."

The two are seen working under harsh conditions in ragged clothing, hard labor while also getting struck by whips whenever they became physically exhausted, showing the cruel nature that was slavery.

"I'll get us both out of here and we'll be free of all this. We can go home and go back to how we were!" The shinning girl declared as her friend and neighboring child slaves look up to her determined face. There was something about her that encouraged strength.

That look of determination turns to horror as an uncertain amount of time later she is seen being dragged off, bound in rope as her friends are forced to watch her behind bars.

"You disrespectful little brat!" One of the slave owners shouts while pulling her along the dirt. "It's time you learned your place!"

Agonizing screams are heard as Marie's lookalike cries out in despair with shrunken eyes. Blood is seen splattering everywhere and the slave owners watch with cruel smiles as a gruesome public torture of the brave girl is displayed to the child slaves who were forced to watch.

Her limbs were cut off and her eyes were gouged out by a hulking male using nothing but his thumbs to get it done.

"And let that be a lesson to the rest of you! Know your place!" The head slave owner yelled out as the mutilated girl was put on display for all to see.

"PATRICIA!"

"Thank you... For your undying love and care for me." The girl, possibly this 'Patricia', speaks in her weak dying breath to her friend whom wept uncontrollably by her side now that she was free to see her during the night. "My time with you was pure light in the dark. From the bottom of my heart I'm glad I was able to make friends with you... Mar-"

The vision is cut short to show the girl being branded in the back. The sizzling sound of the hot metal being pressed against her skin plagues the scene and though her screams of agony are inaudible the taunting laughter of the slave master is heard.

"Never forget your place, brat." The slave owner states while grinding his boot into her head while she laid lifelessly on the ground with her brand plastered on her back.

A quick transition shows the girl on her knees by a windowsill praying desperately under the moonlit beaming through the window as heavy tears flow freely down her bruised face.

Multiple cuts to more recent events flash: A silhouette of Marie being presented the Skull Heart by Double, the Player meeting Marie for the first time, Umbrella making her way to the cathedral, the Medici tower, a look of a girl who looks dangerously close to Filia albeit a lot thinner and the lack of Samson but this is quickly changed to Filia. Other little pieces of memory fly by but are too fast to identify.

What's left of all the horrors adds up to a red skull which is revealed to have originated from the eye of Marie shedding a single tear while lying awake against the shoulder of the now sleeping Player thus revealing the present. It was as if everything that transpired was memories belonging to Marie.

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

146K 2.9K 41
After Luffy's battle with Kaido he is attacked by one of the CP9 members which sends him to another world. He lands in the world of Remnant where he...
13.4K 131 40
After crashing into the planet you now know as remnant you quickly realise that you are stuck here forever with your friend. Choosing to settle down...
214K 2.7K 44
In an Alternate version of Rement which resides in a parallel universe, there is a version of Spider-man. This Spider-Man swings around the kingdom o...
11.7K 191 29
After our the guardians and team RWBY arrive to Atlas, and ready to find the other relic, but something changes their objective and they prepare them...