Cheating Destiny

By mangosherbert01

When the dust from the Great War settles, the worlds are finally at peace. But what happens if everything is... More

Sora (The Beginning)
Noctis Lucis Caelum
Riku
Leon
Zack Fair
Cloud Strife
Axel
Roxas
Reno Sinclair
Genesis Rhapsodos
Chapter One: Vanitas
Prophetic
Taking A Chance
Becoming A Hero
Wanted
Midgar
Third Class
Fire
Breaking Down
What We're Fighting For
The Return Of Boris
Flying Solo
Inside Source
War
The Truth
Fire and Ice
School Days
Naminé
Follow Your Heart
The Door
Reunion
You've Got A Friend In Me
Cave of Wonders
Growing Darkness
Opposites Attract
Reset Button
Banora
Gongaga
A Sense of Comfort (Part I)
A Sense Of Comfort (Part II)
Teamwork
Ven
We All Have A Part To Play
Escalation
Crisis Control
Deep Jungle [Noctis]
Port Royal [Zack]
Halloween Town [Axel]
Traverse Town [Sora]
Wonderland [Cloud]
Hollow Bastion [Genesis]
Agrabah [Leon]
Atlantica [Reno]
Enchanted Dominion [Riku]
Twilight Town [Roxas]
Neverland [Vanitas]
Castle of Dreams [Ven]
Hush-Hush
Some Things Are Better Left Unsaid
A Day In The Life
Fade to Black
13:7
Balance
Haunted
Liberated
Capricious
Back to Basics
A New Normal
Falling
A Deep Breath, And Then...
Facing Fate
Back To Where It All Began
When Two Become One
Fight For Your Life
Retribution
Rest and Rehabilitation
What Lies Ahead
Disney Town
The Final Chapter
So This Is Love
The End
Sora's Ending
Riku's Ending
Cloud's Ending
Leon's Ending
Genesis' Ending
Noctis' Ending
Reno's Ending
Zack's Ending
Axel's Ending
Roxas' Ending
Ven's Ending
Vanitas' Ending

Run

1.1K 59 119
By mangosherbert01

Yes, it was Luxu at the end of the last chapter. Yes, I'm bringing in some Back Cover/KHX characters to this story. Yes, I'm excited.

Part 1 of ???

[♥]

The morning moves too quickly for your liking. It feels extraordinarily strange getting dressed to go to war. Last year, it wasn't *real*. It was someone else's battle, hardly personal, and you were just along for the ride. But this time you're not only fighting for your own life, you're fighting to preserve the balance of the worlds.

Talk about pressure.

After getting changed into a customized outfit (all black, with durable and flexible armor protecting your body), you head into the kitchen for a quick bite to eat. No one's really talking, instead milling around and munching on small snacks. It feels like a nightmare from which you can't wake up. You're not sure if you want to laugh or cry at the awkward tension in the air.

"Everyone ready?"

You glance up from your half-consumed [toast/muffin/whatever], looking at the doorway where Cid's standing.

"Are we leaving already?" Xion asks in surprise.

"'Fraid so, darlin'."

"Let's just get this over with," Riku grumbles, kicking himself up from the table and marching out of the kitchen.

You can hardly blame him for being in such a bad mood today. You're not feeling much better.

"Wait, how are we even getting there?" Sora realizes.

"Portals," Roxas replies.

"And we're staying behind," Kairi adds, pointing between she, Namine, Cid, Mickey, Goofy, and Donald, who are scattered about downstairs.

"Why aren't you guys coming?" you ask, finally speaking for the first time today.

"Someone needs to stay here... should the worst happen," Namine responds, second-guessing herself halfway through her statement.

"It won't though," King Mickey quickly interjects with a smile. "Everything will be fine. Just remember your training, stay sharp, and stay together."

"I'd feel better if you guys were there," Sora tells Donald and Goofy as he rubs at the back of his head.

"We'll celebrate with you afterwards," Goofy decides as Donald nods in agreement.

"You should get going, though. The sun's rising," Donald points out, gesturing a wing to the window.

Sure enough, the world is faintly shining with the pale light from the rising sun.

"Come back soon," Kairi murmurs, pulling Sora into a tight hug as Namine does the same to Roxas.

"Don't be idiots," Cid orders, which is basically his way of saying 'be safe.'

"Thanks for the vote of confidence," Reno mutters with a roll of his eyes.

Cid merely smirks at him as everyone gives quick goodbyes. You feel catatonic, forcing smiles and just going numbly through the motions. Something in the back of your head is screaming at you, yelling that you're not ready. You don't want to go. You want to stay here, and find another way to keep everyone safe and miraculously save the worlds. But you can't. You're trapped.

"Hey," Goofy speaks up, earning your attention as he stands before you. "Do you still have it?"

"Hm? Oh, yeah," you remember, pulling out the pulsing orb from your pocket and stealthily flashing it to him with a grin. "Just in case."

"Just in case," he repeats with a nod before clapping your shoulder and heading back to his king.

"Ready?" Axel asks, glancing back as he holds out an arm, ready to summon a portal.

"Nope," Roxas sighs, lazily lifting his arm as a swirling portal appears before him.

Axel looks down at his best friend with a faint smile before he does the same. Wordlessly, all sixteen of you, wearing your identical black uniforms, march through the two portals in a relatively neat-single file line. You're towards the back, dragging your feet as slowly as possible to prolong the inevitable. Someone kicks at your shoes gently, and you glance back to see Angeal behind you.

"Don't be nervous," he tells you, as if he's able to read your mind.

"Easy for you to say," you practically whisper, looking forward to watch everyone else step through the portals. "I'm terrified I won't be strong enough. That I'm going to fail..."

"You're stronger than you realize," Angeal responds simply, patting your back before he pushes you forward and into the portal.

You try to slow yourself down, but it's too late. The dark tendrils grab hold of you, pulling you into the never-ending, suffocating void. After only a few moments, a flash of light appears, and you're suddenly standing in a horribly bright environment. You hold up an arm, shielding the brightness as you try to adjust to the sudden light.

"Whoa," you hear Cloud hum.

You squint, doing your best to make out just where you are. You almost do a double-take when you realize it's all too familiar. You've been here before, over a year ago, when Vanitas' replica tried to kill you the first time you saw him. There's no doubt this is the same place, with the sloping mountains, vast canyon, and general emptiness. Each gust of wind blows dust and dirt through the air, causing an uncomfortable tickle to grow in your throat as the mixture floats around you.

"Ah, memories," Axel hums, slinging an arm over your shoulder as he pulls you into a loose hug. "'Member when I had to save you? I think it was on that hill over there."

"You're funny," you comment dryly, though you can't help but chuckle a bit at the mock-offended look on his face. "Of course I remember. Because I had to save you afterwards."

"Ouch," he laughs. "Kinda hoped you had forgotten that one."

"Never," you disagree.

"Hey slowpokes, keep up!" Zack calls out.

You look to the right, sighing when you realize everyone else is already meandering down a narrow pathway leading to a different cliff. Axel sighs as well, dropping his arm as the two of you turn and head towards the rest of the group.

"We can sightsee later," Zack adds once you reach him.

"What's there to look at? This place is empty," Noctis points out.

"Just wait," Ven comments.

"What do you mean?" you quickly ask.

"You'll see soon," Aqua replies for him.

You want to press for more information, but they're the only two who seem to be more nervous than you. They're both power-walking, eyes locked down on the ground as they sport troubled expressions. Perhaps grilling them for details isn't the smartest move to make right now.

"Are we absolutely sure they're even here?" Genesis speaks up.

"Maybe they didn't show up!" Yuffie realizes with an excited gasp.

"Yeah, right," Leon scoffs, knowing all too well it won't be that easy. "They're here, somewhere."

"... But where?" Xion asks softly.

No one responds, instead frowning and staring forward as they avoid having to answer that question. The truth of the matter is no one has any idea, not even Ven or Aqua, what to expect or what's awaiting them.

You take a deep breath, doing your best to keep your heart calm and your mind steady. Your group is walking through the underbelly of a large rock formation, which is blocking out most of the sun. Shadows are dancing along on the ground from what little light is filtering in and hitting your bodies, sending out odd shapes and patterns into the sand. It's entrancing.

In what feels like too short of a time, you reach the end of the pathway. The only place you can move is to the right, where the tall rock formation continues and, eventually ends. A small strip of land is the only area through which you can exit, that continually narrows in size until, suddenly, it opens to whatever lies beyond. You can't see from this far away, and to keep yourself sane you don't try and speculate what's on the other side.

No one speaks, following the path and walking in a single-file line through the jagged crack in the mountain. As the walkway continues to shrink, you start to feel a little claustrophobic, like the walls are closing in. Before you can panic, however, the rocky pathway opens like a blossom, revealing bright sun and sand.

You can't really see anything at first, however, as the sun is hitting what must be metal and causing a blinding reflection that blocks your vision. After a few blinks, however, you're finally able to see, and your jaw practically drops to the floor.

It's a sea of Keyblades jammed into the ground, stretching as far as the eye can see – like they've been dumped where their owners died.

"What the..."

"It's the Graveyard," you hear Ven respond, and you glance up. He's standing next to you, staring forward with a vacant expression. "Keyblade Graveyard. A war happened here, ages ago... as they fought for Kingdom Hearts."

"Who's they?" you ask him.

Ven smiles a bit as he finally looks down at you.

"Keyblade wielders, [Name]."

"Oh. So that's why we're here," you realize.

"Again," he corrects a little bitterly.

"I'm sorry," you tell him as the two of you trail after the others. "This is almost over, though."

He merely nods in response, looking very much so like he doesn't believe you. But, he also doesn't want to worry you, so he keeps his mouth shut.

"So... Now what?" Cloud asks as some people start to glance around the sunken valley.

There's nothing nearby, besides the discarded and forgotten Keyblades. The "closest" jagged mountain isn't close at all. You're completely open, with nowhere to hide and nowhere to run.

"I'm not sure..."

Angeal's forced to trail off as he looks down, eyes widening as a pool of darkness forms at his feet. You take a step forward, trying to grab him, before he disappears, dragged down into the ground along with Zack, Cloud, Leon, Noctis, Reno, Genesis, Xion, and Yuffie. All that's left are the chosen Seven, in a situation you almost can't believe you didn't see coming.

Your breath hitches in your throat, your heart racing as you stare in horror at where your friends had just been standing moments prior.

'Please be okay,' you think to yourself, begging no one in particular but unable to shake off the feeling of dread and worry growing with each second. But you can't fret too much. You need to survive yourself, after all.

"... What the hell was that?" Axel finally asks, glancing around at those remaining.

"Tying off loose ends," Aqua guesses.

"I don't like this," Sora announces, looking across the seemingly never-ending canyon. "We're like sitting ducks out here. Maybe we should head back..."

"Missed our shot," Riku comments dryly, his eyes locked on the opposite direction.

You turn around and follow his gaze, the lump in your throat only growing at the sight. It's hard to fully make out who's approaching, as the strong winds are blowing and causing debris to distort the view. But it's apparent that a few people are approaching, walking down the perfectly paved path between the endless rows of cast-off Keyblades.

"Now, now. You wouldn't try to leave, would you?" the voice of Xehanort mockingly asks, booming over the eerily quiet canyon.

You narrow your eyes to fully make out the strangers, and sure enough, you can recognize his hunched over figure not too far from your group. The wind dies down, the dust settling to the ground and clearing the view. You grow a little nauseous when you spot Vanitas beside him – mask and all – as well as Xehanort's younger version.

You're still not sure how that's even possible, but now isn't really the time to question such things.

"Xehanort!" Ven yells to the surprise of everyone, summoning his Keyblade as he glares at the elderly man. "Call off this fight. It doesn't have to come to this!"

You can hear his resulting laugh echo through the open valley.

"Of course it does, my dear boy!" Xehanort replies, holding up a hand to gesture to the Keyblades surrounding everyone. "We must finish what was started so many years ago."

You can see Ven gritting his teeth and tightly clenching his Keyblade before he takes off, weaving away from Aqua's concerned grasp as he darts forward. You watch with a sinking feeling of dread as Sora hurries after the blond, both of them charging towards the three standing in a straight line.

The next few moments are a blur. As if they had been waiting for a secret cue, Marluxia, Vexen, Xemnas, and Terranort suddenly appear in flashes of black, flanking Xehanort and his lackeys. Without saying a word, Axel, Aqua, and Riku hurry after Ven and Sora, ready to serve as back up for a fight that's surely to be ugly.

You find yourself taking a step back, overwhelmed by your nerves. You're not a fighter. You're not meant to be here, fighting. You'll just hold them back.

You take another step back, though you pause when you feel someone's gaze locked on you like a laser.

"Where do you think you're going?"

That voice has your blood freezing in fear. You glance to the right, spotting Vanitas there with his Keyblade in hand, watching you. You can't see his face, but you know he's in full predatory mode right now.

"Now. You wouldn't be trying to run, would you?" he asks as he starts to walk towards you. "Where's the fun in that?"

Wordlessly, you turn on your heel, taking off towards the mountain in the distance. You can feel him behind you, gaining speed fast. Glancing over your shoulder, you see him, a burst of ice shooting from his Keyblade. You shriek in terror, ducking as you fall to the ground in a feeble attempt to avoid his attack. A whoosh rushes over your head, sharp particles of ice falling onto your hair.

"God, you're pathetic," he laughs, watching as you sit up and shake the ice from your hair. "What does Ventus even see in you?"

"Don't say his name," you snap, looking back at him with a narrowed glare. "I won't fight you, Vanny."

You see his body stiffen at your nickname for him.

"How many fucking times do I have to tell you not to call me that?!" he barks, leveling his Keyblade right at you.

You hold up a hand, shooting out a protective spell as sharp chunks of ice fly right towards you. There's no time to watch what happens, however, as a hand suddenly wraps around your arm, pulling you backwards and into a portal.

You don't even have time to yell before you're shot out, landing roughly on the ground before someone falls on top of you. Your heart's racing, and you reach out a hand, ready to burn whoever attacked you.

But you instantly calm down when you spot blond hair and bright blue eyes.

"Roxie?" you murmur in surprise, dropping your hand to the ground as he lifts himself off of you and brushes dust from his clothes.

"Yup," he replies with a small smile, holding a hand out to you.

You grin back at him, accepting his hand as he hauls you to your feet.

"I told you, [Name]. I got you into this mess... I'm gonna get you out of it," he adds, a slightly embarrassed look on his face as he stares down at you.

You laugh, an indescribable feeling of warmth running through you as you grab your best friend, pulling him into a tight hug. He chuckles, the noise rumbling against you as he wraps his arms around your waist, just thankful he got to you in time.

Hell is waiting just around the corner. But, for now, you're both safe.

"And me for you, Roxie."

[MEANWHILE]

Angeal, Zack, Cloud, Leon, Xion, Genesis, Reno, Yuffie, and Noctis appear at exactly the same time, rising from black portals swirling in the sand after they've been transported from the battlefield. They all glance around at each other, clearly puzzled and troubled looks on their faces.

"What was that?" Reno asks, breaking the awkward silence.

"I don't think we were needed," Genesis replies, glancing around the area.

They're now in the middle of sunken canyon, nothing but large rock formations surrounding them. They can't hear anything except for the whistling of the wind. Something tells them they're far away from everyone else.

"So... What's next?" Noctis asks haughtily.

No one responds, all eyes drawn above. There, standing at the edge of the tallest cliff, is a tall man, his long, silver hair blowing gracefully in the wind as he watches them with a completely vacant expression.

"Sephiroth!" Cloud yells, taking off towards the exit hidden in the cliffs.

"Cloud!" Angeal barks, hurrying after him with Genesis following, their weapons drawn and ready for battle.

Leon goes to follow them, only for a Buster sword to block his path. He glances up, glaring at an emotionless Zack.

"What are you doing?" Leon asks angrily.

"Stopping you from making a mistake," Zack replies. "We can't all fight one person. That leaves everyone else too open."

"Then you can fight us."

The sudden, random voice draws their attention as Zack lowers his sword. They all look around before spotting Luxord, Xigbar, Larxene, and Zexion blocking all four exits from the canyon where they're stuck.

"Good call, Fair. Looks like we're about to be a little busy," Reno states with a slightly-mocking tone of voice.

"That you will," Larxene replies with a girlish giggle before she raises her arms, lightning shooting down on the canyon from the gathering storm clouds above.

So it begins.

[♥]

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK SO FAR. Yes, it will be getting insane very soon. This is just part one of MANY<3

♥Alex

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.4K 562 38
Having left the organization behind the Heartless trio finds themselves facing challenges they never thought they would have to face. Especially not...
258 11 12
The light will shine and lead Roxas to his right path. Even if he has forgotten this light, it will always be with him. Even if in the end he is sepa...
55.3K 971 13
This is the classic popular boy (Sora) becomes friends with not-so-popular boy (Roxas) and they are thrown onto the teenage ride of puberty, friendsh...
136K 4.7K 52
In the fight of good versus evil, everyone must take a side. When you're thrown in the middle of a war unlike anything the worlds have ever seen, it...