More Than Business

By nicki0rih

Nicki's fashion empire she built with her best friend, Lydia, turns out to be an international success. Balan... More

More Than Business
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 57 (part2)
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146
Chapter 147
Chapter 148
Chapter 149
Chapter 150
Chapter 151
Chapter 152
Chapter 153
Chapter 154
Chapter 155
Chapter 156
Chapter 157
Chapter 158
Chapter 159

Chapter 99

204 8 5
By nicki0rih

AUBREY POV

After napping during the car ride home, Nic woke up sober.

"Hi." she groaned as I laid her on the bed.

"Hey." I replied.

"I'm sick of being mad at each other.. but Im even more sick of watching you and Lydia go at it." she supported herself on her forearms.

"Im not mad at you." I informed her, "And Im not mad at Lydia either."

"Okay.. how long was I asleep?" she asked, confused.

"I was frustrated, overwhelmed with everything.. and with you throwing it all in my face like you did, I blew up." I admitted, "I didn't want to be mad at you so I took it out on Lydia. Im sorry, I really am.. and I'll apologize to her later."

"Okay."

"Okay?" I asked.

"What do you want me to say?" she questioned, "Im tired of these useless fights Aubrey."

"I know.. I understand that too. So lets just talk, you love being able to just talk things through." I offered.

"About what?" she sat up.

"How was your night?"

"Aubrey!" she threw her body back onto the bed.

"I know you didn't have sex Nic. I just wanted to know if you at least enjoyed yourself- if you got the break you needed and deserved." I clarified.

She sat back up and squinted at me, "What do you mean, you know?"

"For one, I trust that you wouldn't do that.. Secondly, I am pretty sure Lydia wouldn't have let you.. But honestly, your lipstick isn't even smudged which leads me to believe you two didn't even kiss." I exhaled.

"You're right.. about all three." She shrugged.

"So can you answer my question?"

"I was- confused last night. Lydia and I talked about some things that I really needed to deal with you know? And then I told her I needed to get super drunk to numb the emotions I didn't want to deal with at the moment. We turned on a movie, ate brownies, and got drunk." she detailed.

"Good." I nodded.

"Actually, I have to tell you something." She decided.

"Uh- okay." I sat on the bed.

"You know how Alex has been trying to get in touch with you for a while?" she began.

"Yeah.."

"She has an STD, she isn't sure how long she's had it so she wanted you to get checked." She informed me.

"You do know she and I havent-"

"Yeah I know."

"But you still think I shou-"

"Yeah, to be safe." she nodded, "I'm clean and so are the triplets. That doesn't mean that you're clean.. but I'm pretty sure you are. Nonetheless it can't hurt to be sure."

"I'll set up an appointment for tomorrow." I gave in.

"Actually, there's something else I should tell you.." She seemed tentative.

"Yes?"

"They want Lydia and I to take over your company." She looked up at me.

I wasn't sure how to react, "What- I mean-"

"Lydia found out that Wayne was the one who turned everyone against you.. thats why he attacked her that night. When word got out about the attack, the rest of your management team added us to the list of new owners." she explained, "We are the most prominent businesses on the list, I checked the email chain."

"So what did you say?"

"We told them we would consider it." She sighed, "Since we have the leverage, that should hold them off from settling for another offer. We are planning on having an in-person meeting in Canada soon-"

"That was months ago!" I calculated.

"You're yelling!" She rolled her eyes.

"Okay, I'm sorry." I lowered my voice, "I'm listening."

"You know how busy Lydia and I have been with all these events and what not.. we kept putting it off." She reasoned. "But there's something else.."

"Nic how much information have you been housing?"

"If you let me finish.. I can catch you up." She said through her teeth.

"Go ahead."

"The guys you saw me with yesterday are my cousins... I got an email confirming the lab results this morning." she took a deep breath.

"I thought-"

"I did too." she shrugged.

"So what do they want? Money?"

"No- I hope not.." she ran her fingers through her hair, "They want me, well us to attend a family reunion next week."

"Thats great Nic." I said supportively.

"Great?"

"Yeah.. or not." I scratched the back of my neck.

"This whole side of my family were LUCKY to have not had me around. Every time I get around family, they die soon after." She ranted.

I didn't want to argue with her about her whole cursed theory so I worked around it, "Maybe that was then... The kids are your family, and they're fine. Maybe that was only true for while you were growing up."

She bit her lip, "What if its just a matter of time?"

"What do you mean?"

"With the kids? What if its just a matter of time before something happens to them?!" Tears formed in her eyes.

"Something like what?"

"OJ could've died in that accident... because of me." she stuttered.

"But he didn't, because not only does he have a mother who will do anything in her power to keep him safe.. but he is also just like you, in that its gonna take a whole lot more than that to break him." I assured her.

She was silent.

"Do you understand?" I asked her.

She nodded slowly, "I just- its.. a fear that I have. I wish it could go away. But something in me will always fear that I will be the ultimate cause of their premature deaths."

"You're gonna go to that reunion, and you're gonna meet your family. Even if you decide you never want to see them again.. at least meet them. They did their part in finding you, contacting you, and getting the blood work done. The least you can do is attend an event." I encouraged.

She pulled out her phone, "I'll text them and invite them over.. That way I can know what I'm getting us into."

"Thats a good idea." I supported.

Lydia came over that afternoon.

I opened the door for her, "Hey."

"Hi." she replied awkwardly.

"Look I-"

"Nic already filled me in." she said sharply, "I don't need an apology, it wasn't a big deal."

"How about a truce?" I offered.

"We tried that." she rolled her eyes, "Aubrey its fine. Its obvious we're not gonna get along, we don't have to force an issue."

"We should be able to get along though.. at least for Nic's sake."

"We just aren't compatible."

"Okay, we have our differences- but we do have one thing in common." I stated.

"Nic?" she asked.

"Yeah.. so can we give it one more shot?" I suggested.

"I don't know." she shrugged.

"Come on.."

"Do you still think Im trying to ruin your relationship?" she asked.

I took a deep breath, "Not intentionally.."

"Goodbye" She rolled her eyes and turned to leave.

"Lydia-" I stopped her, "Its not that I feel like you are going to try to get her back.. its just, I guess- I fear, that one day she'll wake up and realize she's still in love with you, and she'll leave me for you." I admitted.

She exhaled, "I... suppose it wouldn't hurt anyone to try again." she shrugged.

"Do you wanna come in?"

"Oh.. yeah." she said awkwardly as I let her in.

I closed the door behind her and we ended up standing in front of each other awkwardly.

"I'm gonna go.. check on OJ." she stated.

"Okay.. I'll uh- tell Nic you're here." I scratched the back of my neck.

"Okay." She walked past me and upstairs.

I knew it was the worst possible thing to do, but I couldn't help but to check her out as she walked up the stairs.

"I see someone is either still thinking of that threesome or-" I heard Nic's voice from behind me.

"Nic-"

"I already told you, I don't care if you're attracted to her. Just be honest with me." she insisted.

Before I could respond, the door bell rang.

"I guess I oughta get it." Nic took a deep breath.

"I'll call everyone down." I offered, before walking away, I turned to her, "Relax... it'll be fine."

NICKI POV

Aubrey gave me a reassuring thumbs up as he went upstairs.

I opened the door, Drew and Derek were dressed in suits accompanied by a slightly older woman.

"Hi." I offered them a smile.

"You look just like your father!" the woman's eyes widened as she covered her mouth delicately with her hand.

"I'm sorry, you are?" I cocked an eyebrow at her, still not allowing my smile to falter.

"I'm your Aunt Ruth.. your father's older sister." She pulled me into a hug, releasing me, she stared into my eyes, "I hope you don't mind me coming unannounced.. but when I heard the boys were coming to see you, I couldn't help it."

"Hey, mi casa es tu casa. Right?" I said awkwardly. "Come in, have a seat.. you can meet the family and dinner should be ready in a few."

I brought them in to sit on the couch just as Lydia walked downstairs with OJ on her hip. Behind her, Aubrey and his parents came down with the triplets.

I introduced them before grabbing Oliver from Aubrey.

We all gathered around the table for dinner, Ruth did most of the talking.. giving us way more information on the entire family than we needed. I tried to deal with it, but after about 20minutes I could feel myself getting worked up and I didn't want to cause a scene, so I made an excuse.

"Alright I'm gonna head upstairs to feed the triplets and put them down." I cleared my throat and stood from my chair.

"Aubrey why don't help her out?" Lydia urged.

"Do you w-" Aubrey asked me.

I shrugged and turned to our guests, "We shouldn't be too long."

Aubrey and I gathered the triplets and went upstairs.

LYDIA POV

I pulled Nic's apparent "Aunt Ruth" to the side.

"Hey, I know you mean well.. but can you please try to tone down the whole family thing?" I requested.

"Tone down?"

"Nic is still trying to wrap her head around the idea of her family existing-" I tried explaining but she cut me off.

"I'm sorry who are you?" She blinked.

I clicked my tongue, "I'm Nicki's business partner, and best friend."

"Okay, so you don't actually play a part in this?"

"You just met her, you can't possibly be playing the family card already." I folded my arms.

"Did she tell you I was bothering her?" she questioned.

We went back and forth until she had me cornered, "Why are you and your mother even here anyways? You couldn't wait until you saw her at work again?"

"You know what? You're right, I'm only a friend this is totally not the type of event I should be at." I faked a smile, "Actually, I'll leave."

"Good." she nodded.

"Fine." I snapped as I grabbed my purse and jacket. She followed me into the kitchen.

"I stopped by to get to know my niece and her family not-"

"Yeah okay I get it." I approached my mother who was helping to clean up.

"Everything okay?" She asked.

"No, we're leaving." I took the plates she was holding and put them in the sink.

Mom, being mom... cocked her head to the side at Ruth, "What did you say to my daughter?"

"Mom, we can do this later. But lets just go before everyone loses their cool." I coaxed.

"Do you have to leave?" Aaliyah asked.

"Yeah, but you'll see me tomorrow don't worry." I replied as mom left reluctantly to grab her jacket.

"Mama me too." OJ clung to my leg.

"Why di-"

I noticed Nic was standing in the doorway.

"Hey Nic! You're just in time, we were just about to leave." I greeted her.

Before Nic could talk, Ruth bombarded her, "Nicki... I thought you said OJ was your son?"

"He is..." Nic squinted.

Ruth had her back facing me so I was able to signal to Nicki not to tell her about us.

"So why does he call" Ruth paused and looked me up and down in disgust, "Lydia.. mom?"

"Because... she- is such a great friend to me.. that she has stepped in like a mother to my son." Nic told her.

"Nic, its fine, we're leaving.. I'll see you in the office tomorrow." I stated.

"Who's we?" Aaliyah asked.

"I want you to be here Lydia." Nic argued.

"Dinner's over." Aubrey's mom shrugged.

"Nice meeting you," I said to Drew and Derek before forcing an exit with my mom trailing behind.

NICKI POV

"She left.." I said blankly, plopping onto the couch.

"You'll see her tomorrow." Ruth coaxed.

I shook my head.

"Its not that big a deal." Ruth argued.

"I think you should go." Aubrey stepped in.

"If Onika wants me to leave she'll tell me. Im just trying to help." Ruth defended.

"Help with what?" I snapped.

"I ju-"

"I don't remember asking you for help with anything at all. I don't remember asking you for a summary of every single family member's life. Nothing! I didn't even ask you to come!" I blew up.

"All of this because your friend left? Onika, I just felt like this was a more family-oriented evening..." She had tears in her eyes.

"Well they are my family. They have always been there for me and for years they were all I had. Its impossible for you to believe that just because we share a little blood, that we will automatically have a connection that will surpass my personal background, and the people I know and love." I felt the tears escape my eyes.

"But tell me this... you never once wondered or at least considered what a family was like?"

"I always have moments where I wish I grew up with an actual family, but I've never been without a family. And- and when I look around, I don't feel like I missed out.. I feel blessed." I explained honestly, "I have the perfect children, the best husband, an amazing best friend, and then some."

"I may not have had parents growing up, or family traditions or anything.. but my kids will. I'll be able to create my own, just like I created everything else in my life." I concluded.

A smile creeped across Ruth's face, "I can't argue with that." she pulled me into a hug.

"I hope this means you'll still come to the reunion." Drew cleared his throat.

I pulled away from Ruth's grip, "Only if Lydia can come."

"They are inseparable." Aubrey chimed.

"If I had known- I wouldn't have been so hard on her.. its ju-" Ruth dabbed excess tears from her eyes.

"Its fine."

By the time our guests left, the triplets and OJ were asleep. Aubrey's mom and Aaliyah had the idea of making Aubrey and his dad clean up for the night. I didn't object. Upstairs, I slipped into gold lingerie that was open in the stomach area as well as the corresponding back. The rest was lace with gold trimmings and designs.

I texted Lydia while I waited for Aubrey:

O: Hey, tonight became really hectic... but are you okay?

A minute or so passed before she responded.

L: Im fine.

O: You didnt have to leave.

L: Your aunt made it very clear she didnt want me there.

O: Its not her house.

L: I just didnt want to cause any trouble

O: It really pissed me off that she would do that.🙄

L: I wanted you to be able to get to know your family.

O: You are my family. That woman shares my blood, but I've survived all this time without knowing her, and I've been fine. But you... I can't live without you.

L: See you tomorrow babe.

O: Goodnight ❤️

She had sent a message after that but I didn't get a chance to look at it due to Aubrey entering the room.

"Damn." he said under his breath as his eyes roamed my body. I put my phone on the nightstand and patted the bed beside where I lay, motioning for him to join me.

He knelt on the bed and began to unbutton his shirt. I sat up and aided him in the process, running my hands down his bare chest and abs as he pulled his arms out of the sleeves. I kissed his angel-soft lips as my hands undid his pants, he helped me get them completely off his body before laying me back on the bed and climbing on top of me.

QOTD:
Best dricki moment of the chapter?
Will Aubrey and Lydia ever get along?
How do we feel about Aunt Ruth?
Why didnt Nic & Lydia tell Ruth the truth about them?
What about Nicki's "family" rant?

Dont forget to email me nicki0rih@gmail.com for writing advice or just advice in general!!

I'll be posting a makeup tutorial soon on YouTube if anyone is interested. Also, a Bodak Yellow remix and a No Flag freestyle (hoping for 10K views on it).

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

193 0 16
Being a young girl with everything ready to go in life is what we all want. And it was what Clair wanted, college, a boyfriend and plans for her futu...
34.6K 2.4K 11
And we ain't too high To see eye to eye Know you feel the rush From a simple touch, baby Roll some mo - Beyoncé is running far away from something un...
90K 3.2K 71
Onika Tanya Maraj some call her Nicki,falls in love with a boy very different from her kind named Aubrey Drake Graham.But do they believe they could...
323 2 33
How could she turn down her boss when he was also the same man she loved for quite some time. She lived her life being late to work and making deli r...