For A Reason {Mark Sloan} - C...

By runninginfear

" According to Greek Mythology, humans were originally created with four arms, four legs, and a head with two... More

one::
two::
three::
four::
five::
six::
seven::
eight::
nine::
ten::
eleven::
twelve::
thirteen::
fourteen::
fifteen::
sixteen::
seventeen::
eighteen::
Life is short.
nineteen ::
twenty::
twenty one::
twenty two::
twenty three::
twenty four::
twenty five:::
twenty six:::
twenty seven:::
twenty nine:::
thirty :::
thirty one:::
thirty two:::
thirty three:::
thirty four:::
thirty five:::
thirty six:::
thirty seven:::
thirty eight:::
thirty nine:::
forty:::
forty one:::
forty two:::
forty three:::
forty four:::
forty five:::
forty six:::
forty seven:::
THANK YOU
forty eight:::
forty nine:::
fifty::::
fifty one::::
fifty two::::
fifty three::::
fifty four::::
fifty five:::::
fifty six::::
fifty seven::::
fifty eight:::::
fifty nine::::
The End.

twenty eight :::

7.5K 149 10
By runninginfear

[ disarmed ]

"On call rooms. Sleep when you can, where you can. You know, but not with anybody. Not attendings, especially not attendings. Sleeping with attendings, not a good idea. Where was I?"

"Um, rule number three. If you're sleeping, do not wake you unless a patient's actually dying," George said.

"Oh right. The dying patient better not be dead when I get there, because not only will you have killed someone, you will have woken me for no good reason. Are we clear?"

One of the interns raised a hand.

"Yes?" I asked.

"That was four rules. You said five," She looked at me, puzzled.

"Rule number five, when I move, you move," I said

The four of them stood there, staring at me.

"This is the part where my pager goes off," I said quietly to myself, looking down at my pager, "Go!"

••

"I hate them," Cristina said.

"You don't hate them. You hate you." Meredith said.

"That was hideous. I feel like a fraud," Izzie said.

"I rocked it. I think I'm the new nazi," Alex bragged.

"Oh, you are not the new nazi," Cristina shook her head.

"I think they're okay. Kinda stupid, but okay," I shrugged.

"Easy for you to say," Cristina said, "You have George."

"Brandy, I need to talk to you," George said, walking in the hallway.

"George. Hi," Izzie said.

"Hey," he replied.

"How was your vacation?" Izzie asked.

"Um, fine. Um, Brandy, can we-" George continued.

"Cause mine was," Izzie paused, "I didn't do much. I hung out alone, for 17 days. Which is the last time that I saw you, the day of Cristina's wedding, which was, well, then Mer and Cristina went on Cristina's honeymoon without me."

"Girl-on-girl honeymoon," Alex smiled and nodded his head.

"And then Alex and Brandy took a road trip without me," Izzie said.

"Woah, woah," I said, "Don't make it sound like we went together. I went to see my family."

"Oh, why is everyone so tingly and hurt? I mean, I'm the one who was left at the altar. I'm fine, by the way. I honeymooned in Hawaii and I snorkeled," Cristina said.

"What'd you do, George?" Izzie asked.

"Um, Brandy, I-I really need to talk to you," George said.

"Uh, hey, you want to know, this is for residents only. No interns," Cristina told the interns as they tried to join us.

"Yeah," Meredith agreed with her friend.

"Yeah, get outta here," Izzie told them.

"Babies," Alex said.

"Yeah, go away." Izzie barked at them,
causing them to turn around, and hurry out the hall.

"007's in training," Alex continued to call them names.

I looked over to George and saw him start to follow behind them.

"Seriously," Cristina shook her head.

"I guess I should be going, too," he frowned.

"No, George.We didn't mean you," Meredith said.

"No, I'm an intern," He sighed, and walked out.

"Wait. What did you want to tell me?" I asked.

"Uh, is this how it's gonna be all year? Because Bambi has got to learn how to cope," Cristina said.

"At least he came back," Izzie said.

"Yeah, cut him some slack," Meredith turned to Alex.

"Dude, he failed his exam and got left back in kindergarten," Alex said.

"Mm-hmm," Cristina nodded.

"He won't even look at me," Izzie said.

"Have you seen Burke?" Meredith asked.

"No. Have you seen Derek?" Cristina asked Meredith.

"No," She shook her head.

"Wait, you haven't seen either of them since the wedding?" Izzie asked.

"Nope," Cristina said.

"And you're all fine?" Izzie asked in disbelief.

"Yep," Meredith gave a small nod.

"Wow. You're either incredibly healthy or completely messed up," Izzie said.

"I think it's the second one," I said.

••

"Where have you been? We have multiple MVC'S due any second," Callie scolded us.

"We're here, aren't we? We're here," Alex told her.

"Just, uh, just get ready, okay? And monitor your interns," She instructed us, clearly frustrated.

"Okay, one, two, go get stat packs," Cristina pointed at her interns, "Uh, three, four, go meet the ambulances."

"One and two?" I asked Cristina.

"No, I can't remember their names," Cristina said.

George raised his hand,"I don't respond to being called a number."

"George, go wait for the ambulance. The rest of you come with me," I told them.

I walked into the Bay, with Alex, Izzie, Cristina, and Meredith, our interns in tow.

"Dixon, don't let them just stand here," Bailey told me.

"Ok uh, let's move, people," I said.

The ambulance drove up and the driver came around, and pulled out a gurney, with a man covered in plastic,"Unrestrained driver, DOA at the scene. Just need someone to pronounce him.

"Oh,crap. Dead guy. Why'd you get me all excited with the sirens? Okay, who wants to see a dead guy?" Cristina sighed.

Another ambulance arrived and the paramedics brought out another gurney, "Nancy Walters, 34 years old, weeks pregnant. Complete upper arm amputation. Pressure dressings applied. Two large bore IVs started."

"Did he say 'arm'? My arm is gone?" Nancy started to panic.

"Miss Walters, you're gonna be okay. Dixon, check the wound," Bailey comforted the woman.

"I really need my arm," She said.

A third ambulance came, with the final crash victim, "45-year-old male, sustained a knee injury."

"That guy, the guy that's dead, he hit a deer, and then the lady hit him, and then I hit the lady," The man told us.

"Knee is blowing up like a balloon," Callie shook her head.

"Hey, I'm hungry. Can I get something to eat?" The man asked.

"Okay, everybody get a good look? Time of death, uh," Cristina looked to her watch, "8:22."

Suddenly the man took a breath

"Not time of death. This guy is not dead." Cristina said.

"He was dead," the paramedic said.

"Well, he's not dead now. Let's bag him. Okay,we've got a guy who's risen from the dead over here," Cristina said.

"Get outta the way!" I yelled at one of the interns, who was standing in my way.

"Are you Meredith Grey?" She asked.

"No, over there," I pointed.

"Okay, thank you," She smiled, before running over to her.

I knit my eyebrows together before brushing it off, and bringing Ms.Walters inside, and to one of the open trauma rooms.

"This is trauma room one. As you can see, there's a trauma. Hey, guys, do you need some help? Please tell me you need some help," Izzie asked us, bringing her interns into the room.

"I don't know. It's a little crowded in here already, Iz," I told her.

"What do you got for me?" Mark asked, entering the room.

"Nancy Walters. Complete amputation," I told him.

"The baby looks fine, but she's having some contractions," George said, looking at the ultrasound.

"Hi, Nancy. I'm Dr. Sloan. You mind if I take a look?" Mark looked at her arm.

"It's a clean cut," Izzie observed, over Mark's shoulder.

"You want to rub up against me, you gotta buy me a drink first," He turned to Izzie, "Hang antibiotics and put on a sterile, moist dressing. There's a chance at a good recovery here. Do we have an arm?"

"They're looking for it," I told him.

"My baby has no father. He's already down two arms. So he really needs me to have an arm."

"Get me that arm," Mark told me.

I nodded.

"You," I said, pointing to an intern, "Start calling around and see if anyone has my arm."

The intern nodded, nervously and ran out the room.

"You're doing great Nancy," I told her, "We're gonna do our best to get your arm."

She nodded, "Is my baby okay?"

"He's just fine," George said.

"Help! We need doctors. Help!" I heard a voice yell.

I looked out the window of the trauma room to see a boy, and a man, holding an arm.

I quickly ran out and over to them.

"Inside voice," The man told his son, Uh, we found an arm in the road," He told me.

"That's my arm!" I smiled and took the arm from him, "Thanks."

"Uh yeah, no problem," the man replied, a bit confused.

I walked off to find Mark, as the man's son continued to whine about something.

"Here's the arm you ordered," I said, dropping it in his hands.

"Great, thank you," he said.

"Yeah, whatever," I said, walking away.

Things between Mark and I were kinda awkward. I tried my best to remain professional around him, but sometimes it wasn't always easy.

"My arm is gone," Kathy panicked as I entered the room.

"We have the arm, and Dr. Sloan is checking right now to see if we can reattach it. Is there someone we can call?" I asked her.

"There's no," she shook her head, "No, I just-I just moved here. I'm all by myself. There's no one. I have no one."

"Okay. Well, Dr. Sloan should be here any minute," I gave a small smile.

"I wanted a kid and. I was sick of waiting for the right guy, so in my family, you don't go out and get pregnant. So now I'm alone and I'm having a baby, and I don't have a father for the baby, and I don't have an arm."

"Don't worry, I'm sure when your baby comes and they see him or her, they won't be able to stay away," I smiled," And here's Dr. Sloan."

"Nancy," Mark entered the room, "I'm happy to report that your arm is in good shape. Dr.Dixon here is gonna clean it up a little, and I'm gonna put that arm back where it belongs, okay?"

"Okay," she said, hesitantly.

"Okay," Mark smiled.

"See nothing to worry about," I told her.

••

"Oh, you've got a severed arm," Cristina said.

"Yeah, and it's my severed arm. Get aay from it," I told her, not looking up from my work.

"Wow," Meredith said, joining us.

"Still no sign of Burke today," Cristina said, "Maybe he's not on today."

"Maybe you should just see him and get it over with," Meredith suggested.

"No, no, no, no. If I never see him again, I won't care," Cristina shrugged.

"Well, I've seen Derek, and Derek has seen me," Meredith said.

"And?" Cristina asked.

"Awkward. Plus he seems to know Lexie."

"Who's Lexie?" I asked.

"My half sister," Meredith said.

"Oh wow, I didn't know you had another half sister," I said.

"Neither did I," Meredith said.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"And?" Cristina asked again.

"More awkward. Your intern is my half sister. How weird is that?" Meredith shook her head.

"Well, I'm trying to save Bambi's life," Izzie sighed, walking in the room and sitting down, "My interns think I'm a loser. Severed arm."

"Callie's a bitch," Alex said, sitting down next to Izzie.

"Word," Izzie agreed.

"She won't let me off my patient, and there's nothing wrong with him except he's a nut job," He shook his head, "Severed arm," he noted.

"Does anybody know anything about deer?" Izzie asked.

"They taste good," Alex shrugged.

"Evil," Izzie narrowed her eyes.

George stood in the doorway, silent.

"Oh, George, severed arm. Plus Mer's half sister is my intern, Izzie is playing Dr. Dolittle, oh, and Alex hates your wife," Cristina informed him.

"Dr. Sloan's ready for the arm," He told me before walking away.

"I'll say it. George is being an ass," Meredith nodded.

"I think it's my fault. I said some things, and now he's not talking to me," Izzie frowned.

"I don't know what he's got to complain about. Those new chick interns are hot," Alex smiled.

"He's married," Cristina furrowed her eyebrows.

"Yeah, he's married," Izzie sighed.

"Dude, you know who's seriously hot? That Lexie girl," Alex said.

"Get out, before I hurt you," Meredith clenched a fist.

"I'm going over Callie's head to bailey," Alex changed the subject.

"Uh, Callie is over bailey's head," Cristina told him.

"Spiritually, Bailey's over everyone's head," I told them.

••

"Okay, Nancy, I want you to count back from a hundred, okay?" The anesthesiologist held the mask over her face.

"No. No. I'm not ready," She cried.

"It's just like going to sleep," I told he.

"I can't do any of this alone. I don't want to be alone anymore," She continued to cry.

"I know," I sighed.

"No, I'm scared," Nancy shook her head.

"I know," I nodded.

"I am scared, Brandy," She told me again.

"Well, I think it's very brave, what you're doing. It's much better to be alone and feel like a success than to be in a relationship and feel like a failure all the time, right?"

"That's what I think," She nodded.

"So let's just take care of your arm, and then we'll deal with the rest later, okay?"

She nodded queuing the anesthesiologist to put the mask over her face. After a couple of seconds her eyes closed and she was asleep.

"I got a big bleeder. Dr. Dixon, press and hold right here," Mark instructed me.

"She's having contractions," George said.

"Well, take a look, George. Probably the stress," I told him.

"No, these are strong, and they're two minutes apart," He shook his head.

"Page Addison and get her in here. Now," Mark ordered.

"Uh, I don't think there's time to call OB. Her water just broke, and she's crowning," George shook his head.

"Call peds. Get a warmer in here," Mark said.

"This baby's coming now," George looked up at us.

"O'Malley, get her up in stirrups," Mark told him.

"Can we put her in a reverse trendelenburg, have one of the nurses press her abdomen since she can't push?" George asked.

"Try it without all the jostling. I'm holding on to a major artery here," Mark didn't look up from his work.

"Okay, clamp. Scissors. I got it," I heard a baby start to cry, I looked over and saw George holding him, "I got him."

"Great job, George," I smiled under my mask.

"Thanks," he sighed.

"Yeah, yeah, we're all heroes. Now if no one minds, I'd like to get this woman's arm sewn on. Like she said, she's gonna need it."

••

"How'd your deer patient turn out?" I asked Izzie.

"Fine actually," Izzie smiled.

I couldn't hold back my laugh, "I'm sorry. That's just, uh sorry"

Izzie rolled her eyes, "Whatever."

"I bet that deer would've tasted pretty good," Alex said.

"Evil," Izzie shook her head.

"I've never had deer? Is it good?" I asked, as the three of us walked out the doors and into the parking lot.

"Delicious," Alex said.

"You're both evil," Izzie said.

••

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

817K 27.5K 37
- š’š‹šŽš– š”ššƒš€š“š„š’ - ā can you stop with the compliments? āž ā never. āž ā maybe dreams are meant to just stay as that, dreams. āž ā n...
9.9K 243 36
As a young women you will find your way in this world. You are working hard to make your dream come true and that's becoming a surgeon. Everything lo...
165K 5.7K 29
IN WHICH Courtney Grey starts her residency and has to be a mentor to four unknowing interns, while figuring out that a certain someone means more to...
21.6K 758 10
ā but you're here right now and you're turning me on. āž ā†  in which it's the right people at the wrong time. ...