Laced

By izzysaphira

Over one hundred years into the future, corruption has wreaked havoc on the overwhelming majority of rulers a... More

Hello, again.
Disclaimer
Prologue
Laced - Chapter 1 (Sold)
Laced- Chapter 2 (First Intimacy)
Laced - Chapter 3 (Laying Out the Rules)
Laced - Chapter 4 (Unexpected Surprises)
Laced - Chapter 5 (An Appointment With Payne)
Laced - Chapter 6 (Little Secrets)
Laced - Chapter 7 (Awkward Dinners)
Laced - Chapter 8 (Locked In)
Laced - Chapter 9 (Catch and Confess)
Laced - Chapter 10 (Out and About)
Laced - Chapter 11 (Exceptions)
Laced - Chapter 12 (Incognito Personalities)
Laced - Chapter 13 (A New Freedom)
Laced - Chapter 14 (First Real Dinner)
Laced - Chapter 15 (A Change in Perspectives)
Laced - Chapter 16 (An Illusion of Strength)
Laced - Chapter 17 (Exposed Emotions)
Laced - Chapter 18 (Caught Red-Handed)
Laced - Chapter 19 (An Embarrassment to Remember)
Laced - Chapter 20 (Broken Promises)
Laced - Chapter 21 (For Every Action, an Equal and Just Consequence) Part 1
Laced - Chapter 21 (For Every Action, an Equal and Just Consequence Part 2)
Laced - Chapter 22 (Black Lace)
Laced - Chapter 23 (Eating Guiltily)
Laced - Chapter 24 (Bringing Up the Past)
Laced - Chapter 25 (Fires and Secrets)
Laced - Chapter 26 (The Back-Up Plan)
Laced - Chapter 27 (Sleepless Nights)
Laced - Chapter 28 (Realizations)
Laced - Chapter 29 (Preparations)
Laced - Chapter 30 (No Inhibitions)
Laced - Chapter 31 (Ulterior Motives)
Laced - Chapter 32 (One Too Many Choices)
Laced - Chapter 33 (A Night of Announcements)
Laced - Chapter 34 (Chocolate)
Laced - Chapter 35 (Mind Over Matter)
Laced - Chapter 36 (Breakeven)
Laced - Chapter 37 (Fix You)
Laced - Chapter 38 (Canceled Plans and Patience)
Laced - Chapter 39 (Rules, Fears, & Jealousy)
Laced - Chapter 40 (The Big Night)
Laced - Chapter 41 (Reunions)
Laced - Chapter 43 (I'm Yours)
Laced - Chapter 44 (Claiming Dominance)
Laced - Chapter 45 (Brotherly Love)
Laced - Chapter 46 (Little Shit, Big Shit)
Laced - Chapter 47 (Flirtations and Drunken Mistakes)
Laced - Chapter 48 (Rebellious Brothers and Long Road Trips)
Laced - Chapter 49 (Uncovering the Past)
Laced - Chapter 50 (Sorrows and Regrets)
Laced - Chapter 51 (Fighting Our Demons)
Laced - Chapter 52 (A Chink in the Armor)
Laced - Chapter 53 (Aiding Those in Need)
Laced - Chapter 54 (The Riverwalk)
Laced - Chapter 55 (A Moment of Truth)
Laced - Chapter 56 (A Panicked Reaction)
Laced - Chapter 57 (A Quiet Rage)
Laced - Chapter 58 (Uncertain Decisions)
Laced - Chapter 59 (Packing and Planning)
Laced - Chapter 60 (Same Mistakes)
Laced - Chapter 61(Betrayals and Forgotten Things)
Laced - Chapter 62 (Complications)
Laced - Chapter 63 (Distractions)
Chapter 64 - (Unease)
Laced - Chapter 65 (Long Gone)
Laced - Chapter 66 (Unpredicted Reactions)
Laced - Chapter 67 (Stubborn Personalities)
Laced - Chapter 68 (Delving Into the Past)

Laced - Chapter 42 (A Change of Hearts)

907K 13.3K 10.4K
By izzysaphira

Disclaimer: This was written over 10 years ago, and the author no longer agrees with many of the concepts found in this story. Some of the content will be cringey and/or problematic. Please remember this is entirely fictional and does not represent the author's beliefs.

Twitter: dazzleizzy

Copyright © 2012-2023

~~

Perrie's POV

"Can everyone gather around or near the stage?" Niall says through the microphone. "The votes are in, and they've been counted!"

I grab Harry's forearm and make my way to the stage as fast as I possibly can, faster than I've ever walked before. At this point, it was a fifty-fifty chance I would make it.  I would like to believe that I sang pretty well, but there was a decent amount of great voices in the competition other than mine.

My eyes narrow when I see Master Zayn step onto the stage. Niall hands him the black microphone, and then Master Zayn pulls out a small piece of paper out of his breast pocket.

"Thank you to everyone who has competed in the competition.  Unfortunately,  only four of you all can move onto the next round. Please congratulate the following people I announce."

I suck in a deep breath and hold it in. I feel Harry's hand squeeze mine in anticipation and reassurance. He gives me a small smile, and I return it before bring my attention back to the stage.

"The first person moving forward in this competition to the next round is Amber!"

The crowd breaks out into cheers and applause, and I clap my hands in support.

"The next person to make it to the next part of the competition is my good, good friend from up north. Please give a round of applause for Harry!"

I let out a gasp in surprise and then turn around and give Harry a supporting hug.

"Congratulations!" I bream, and his lips pull upward into a full-dimpled smile. His bright eyes are lit up, and he's trying to contain his excitement to not make me feel bad.

But I don't feel bad, not yet at least  I am genuinely happy for him, so I squeeze my hand around his, and smile.

"Niall will be the third person to go on to the next round!"

This doesn't surprise me, his voice is too good to not go on.

I'm biting the inside of my cheek, my hands squeezed into tight fists, my knuckles slowly turning white. Harry's hand falls and rests on my back, and I close my eyes.

Please, God, or whoever it may be that is out there, let me go onto the next round. Please, please, please. I know I sure as hell don't deserve it, but I need to win, please, just this one time. Please, please, please let this one thing be in my favor.

"And the last, but definitely not least contestant to move on is..." Master Zayn pauses, adding a dramatic effect to the tension in the room.

Please, please, please.

I am literally going out of my mind, while Master Zayn stands there on the stage, mocking us all, withholding the very information that our futures depended on.

I curse underneath my breath, and then glare at him.

"Perrie!"

Surely those words couldn't have left Zayn's perfect lips, the lips I'd missed so much. I must be imagining. I must be going crazy.

But his lips moved at the same time my name was called.

It's like all of the noise from the talking, the cheering, and the applauding fades out to a low hum. Background noise. I can't hear a thing, or comprehend anything, my name in his voice resonating in my head. I faintly recognize Harry's arms wrap around me in a congratulatory hug, yelling over the roar that he knew I could do it.

But I couldn't focus on anything but the simple words that had spilled out of Master Zayn's lips, the very words that determined my fate.

I still can't believe my ears - surely this was a mistake? How did I even get through? How did Abby not get through? She wasn't the best singer, sure, but she was definitely Master's favorite and I would think he would've done something to move her forward.

Or maybe that's it. Maybe he doesn't want her to move forward.  Maybe he's too afraid of what she might ask for.

I glance over at Abby, who ducks her head down, her cheeks flushed as she rushes out of the ballroom. I almost feel sorry for her - she probably deserved moving on more than I ever did, but life's not fair.

I want to go after her, to tell her I'm sorry, that she could do it next year, but a squeeze of my arm brings me from my racing thoughts.

"Perrie!" Harry says, pointing to the stage. "They called all the contestants who made it to the next round to go backstage to prepare for the next part. Let's go!" He pulls my arm.

"But..." I trail off, glancing back to where Abby was. She had disappeared, and I wanted to go find her because I felt bad for her.

But now's not the time to feel sorry for anyone. Now it's time for me to get my head in the game, and win this shit.

Because I couldn't do this any longer.

I couldn't be Master's fuck toy, for whenever or wherever he needed to get off.

Not anymore.

I nod, and then turn around, following Harry backstage.

--

Abby's POV

I push through the crowd, making my way to the back. I need to get out of here, I was hot, too hot, and I needed air.

I wasn't upset with the announcement....well, not too upset. I was just embarrassed,  honestly. Right before I step out of the ballroom, I stop in my tracks.

Before I know it, I'm making my way back to the bar. Since I wasn't going to perform anymore, it didn't matter if I drank.

I know that I probably shouldn't...both Sebastian's voice telling me not to, and Master Zayn warning me against it.

But Sebastian is long gone. He never tried to contact us. He never wrote. I didn't even know if he was still alive or not, if he was still free, or a slave like me.

His opinion on alcohol doesn't matter anymore.

And Zayn -  Master Zayn was totally hypocritical about it. He didn't have a problem with me drinking with him. He just didn't want me to drink while everyone was here.

Well, too bad. He's too busy somewhere, and he can't boss me around.

When I grab the glass of champagne from the bar and swallow down half of it in one go, I know I am doing it just to spite him.

Just to piss him off.

And besides, it would be fun to let go, to be drunk for a bit. It can't hurt anyone.

I ask for a refill once I've finished my glass, and then carry it to the side of the ballroom where the glass doors that lead to the balcony were.

I step out, and smile when the cold December air hits my face. I shiver, but embrace the cold. It was uncomfortably hot inside anyways.

Padding towards the edge of the balcony, I look out into the night, and sigh.

I take another sip of the pink fluid and close my eyes.

--

Zayn's POV

After announcing the winners, I take my seat up front. Caleb disappeared after we left the conference room, roaming around the enormous ballroom.

Everyone had been given fifteen minutes to prepare for the next round, and those fifteen minutes are now down to only two.

Niall steps onto the stage, in the middle of a laugh. He flips on the mic, and then clears his throat.

"I hope everyone is having a great night so far." He starts. "But now, it's time to begin round two of the sing-off!"

The crowd hushes, and some take seats. I still don't know where Caleb went, and I shake my head in annoyance. Ever since we were kids, he was always messing around and getting into shit he shouldn't.

"Please give a round of applause for the first contestant to perform this round, Perrie!"

The lights dim, and music starts through the speakers.

Perrie walks out onto the stage, slow and calm - much different than her confident self last performance.

She takes a deep breath before starting the first line.

Your fingertips across my skin

The palm trees swaying in the wind

Images

I don't recognize these lyrics, I don't recognize them at all.

You sang me Spanish lullabies

The sweetest sadness in your eyes

Perrie's looking at me now, directly into my eyes, talking to me. At least, I think she is.

Clever trick

I never want to see you unhappy

I thought you'd want the same for me

I shift in my seat, uncomfortable. She was definitely talking to me in her performance, singling me out and pointing out all my wrongdoings.

Goodbye, my almost lover

Goodbye, my hopeless dream

I'm trying not to think about you

Can't you just let me be?

So long, my luckless romance

My back is turned on you

I should've known you'd bring me heartache

Almost lovers always do

There are tears, there are fucking tears in her eyes.

She doesn't let them leave her eyes, but they are still there.

And I am hardly at ease. I feel like everyone's eyes are on me, even though I know they are not.

And an ugly emotion courses through my veins, making me more uneasy than I already was. Guilt.

We walked along a crowded street

You took my hand and danced with me

Images

And when you left you kissed my lips

You told me you'd never ever forget these images, no

I never want to see you unhappy

I thought you'd want the same for me

Goodbye, my almost lover

Goodbye, my hopeless dream

I'm trying not to think about you

Her eyes are on mine again, and she gives me a saddened look.

Can't you just let me be?

So long, my luckless romance

My back is turned on you

I should've known you'd bring me heartache

Almost lovers always do

One blink, I'm seated watching this performance from hell, and the next I'm already halfway across the ballroom rushing towards the patio balcony doors.

It was a coward move, I know, but I don't give a shit.

The room is stuffy, too stuffy, and I couldn't get Perrie's expression out of my head.

I grab the knob of the door and pull on it, letting in the cold air. I step outside, bringing my fingers up to my temples and rubbing them.

When I exhale loudly, I realize that I'm not the only one out here.

Loud, drunken laughter comes from the edge of the balcony.

My eyes narrow when I realize it's Abby laughing, and she's not alone. Caleb's right next to her, laughing along with her.

"Did I miss something?" I say angrily,  walking up to the two. I have had to much to fucking deal with tonight, with Sykes being here and Perrie singling me out in her song choice and now this.

"Zayn." Caleb's voice is amused, taking in my serious expression.

Abigail immediately stops laughing at my voice, and looks down at the glass in her hand. She curses under her breath when she realizes it's empty, but then bursts out laughing again.

"Abigail," I say through my teeth, "what did I tell you about drinking tonight?" I'm on the verge of yelling.

"Chill, bro." Caleb laughs, and puts a hand on Abby's shoulder. "She's old enough to drink."

I glare at him, and Abby doesn't seen to notice the 'bro'. Good.

"No, she's not. And that's not the point. I told her she wasn't to drink, and she's disobeyed me." I say angrily. Caleb's hand on her shoulder pissing me off even further.

"Abigail, how much have you had to drink?" I ask, pushing Caleb's hand off her and pulling her closer to me.

"I don't know. I lost count after a while." She hiccups.

I let out an angry sigh, and she rolls her eyes at me.

"Can you please let go of me?" She asks, and I notice that my fingers had somehow clasped themselves around her small arm. "You're ruining my fun. He was just telling me a joke." Abigail points to Caleb, who stood behind me.

Before I could think twice about it, I let go of her arm. She pulls it away, and sets the empty glass on the edge of the balcony wood railing.

"Let's go inside?" I suggest. I really don't want her out here with my brother - I don't trust him enough with her.

"No. I want to stay out here with Caleb. He's funny." She giggles, and then brushes past me to walk over to Caleb.

"Abby." I growl, pulling her back to me again.

Caleb's studying me, his expression deep in thought. "Zayn..." he frowns.

"Go inside, Caleb. Please, just listen to me just this one time. I need to talk to her alone."

Being Caleb, he'd normally challenge me until my breaking point, just like any annoying brother would do.

So I was surprised when he gave me a silent nod, and walked inside without another word.

I sigh in relief, and look back to Abby. I realize she's in her dress, and it's fucking cold out.

"Aren't you cold?" I ask, and shiver.

She answers me by shivering, but lies. "No."

Without giving it a second thought, I slip off my blazer and hand it to her. "Here, put it on. You don't want to get sick."

She hesitates as she eyes the jacket, but then shrugs and takes it from me. Good. I was in no mood to fight with her about it.

When she slips it on, it's too big for her - much too big. It's a hilarious sight, so I find myself laughing. I really need to laugh - all this stress was doing me no good.

"What?" She frowns. "What's funny?"

"You."

She scrunches up her eyebrows. "Stop laughing at me."

Of course, this only makes me laugh harder. Her angry expression is adorable, and I laugh harder.

I sober up when I realize she's stomping away from me.

"Hey, hold up. Don't walk away from me." I chuckle, and pull her back to where I was standing.

"What do you want?" She growls, annoyed.

"You need to loosen up, babe. Learn to laugh." I say.

"Well, I was laughing up until you came. Caleb was actually laughing with me, not at me."

I'm annoyed that she brought up Caleb. "What were you guys talking about, anyways?"

Normally, I wouldn't care. But with Abby, it was different. I would never admit it was jealousy though.

"Nothing. He was joking around with me." She says. She looks off into the distance, and I can tell she's not telling me something.

And then, in a small voice, almost inaudible, she admits something. "He reminds me of someone."

--

Abby's POV

"He reminds me of someone." I admit, and look away.

"Who?" Master says cautiously,  as if he's worried about something I don't know.

Truth is, he reminded me of my brother. But I didn't want to tell him that, because he didn't know about my brother. The only person I told was Harry.

"Someone close to me." I answer, trying to stay as close to the truth as possible.

He lets out a sigh in relief, but then steps closer and brings a hand around my waist. "Mind telling me who?" He asks, his voice soft. Soft, and velvety. I love it when he's like this.

"My brother." I blurt, and then cover my mouth in surprise. "Shit, I wasn't supposed to say that. Pretend you  didn't hear anything." I tell him.

He pulls away from me, and turns me around to look me in my eyes. "Why?"

"Because."

"You've told me about him before." He looks away, admitting this small piece of information to me.

What? "I have?"

"Yeah, it slipped when you were belligerently drunk, twice."

I don't know how to feel about this. I guess I'm glad that he told me what I've said while I was drunk...but he's kept it from me for quite a while.

"Is this...is this why you got me drunk the other night?" I question.

He looks away. "Well, no...I mean, yes. You're also drunk again, right now."

I really should be annoyed, and upset, but I'm not. I'm almost relieved...and nostalgic. Joking with Caleb reminded me of how Sebastian and I used to joke and mess with things we shouldn' t.

"I am not drunk." I say, and he snorts. It's true, I've only had two drinks since the names were announced. I feel a buzz, but nothing more.

"Yeah, you are. You probably won't remember this conversation in the morning."

"I've only had two drinks, Sir. I loed about not knowing before..."

He doesn't reply back, just nodding. He sighs, and leans on the railing. "So why are you out here?"

"It was stuffy in there." I say honestly.

He snakes his hand around my waist, pulling me close to him. I'm caught slightly off guard, so I yelp a bit.

He continues to bring me closer to him, standing me in front of him, his chest to my back. His chin rests on my head, and his arms wrap around my body.

I shiver, partially from the cold, but mostly in delight. He had a masculine scent, mixed with mint and cologne, and the mix was just heavenly.

I sigh in content, breathing in his scent. His lips press to my hair, and I am literally screaming on the inside.

"Why are you out here?" I ask him, the same question he'd asked me a few minutes ago.

"I've got a lot on my mind, Abby."

I don't question him, I know he wouldn't answer anyways.

"Do you want to go back inside?" He asks, "the temperature is dropping."

When I nod, he takes my hand and pulls me to the glass doors, and lets me inside.

When we're inside, Harry's onstage, in the middle of his performance.

--

Harry's POV

When he takes your hand

I die a little

I watch your eyes

And I'm in riddles

Why can't you look at me like that?

When you walk by, I try to say it

But then I freeze, I never do it

My tongue gets tied

My words get trapped

As I begin the chorus, my eyes fall upon Abby and Master who walk in from the balcony.

I'm confused, and I no longer know who I'm singing to. Originally,  I'd silently dedicated this song to Abby, in my head at least.

But Perrie was sitting in the front row, cheering me on, wholeheartedly smiling and happy for me.

All this, and Abby's hand is latched in Master's, walking in in the middle of my performance.

I hear the beat of my heart getting louder

Whenever I'm near you

But I see you with him

Slow dancing

Tearing me apart

'Cause you don't see

Whenever you kiss him

I'm breaking,

Oh how I wish that was me

Abby's head turns to tge stage, and her eyes widen as she listens to the lyrics. I look away, and instead focus on Perrie.

He looks at you

The way that I would

Does all the things,

I know, that I could

If only time could just turn back'

Cause I got three little words

That I've always been dying to tell you

But I see you with him

Slow dancing

Tearing me apart

'Cause you don't see

Whenever you kiss him

I'm breaking,

Oh how I wish that was me

I see Perrie stop, and she's staring at me, giving me a confused look. Her eyes widen as she realizes the song is directed at her.

And then she shakes her head, as if she was just imagining something.

I continue through the rest of the so quickly, and I'm already near the end.

With my hands on your waist

But I see you with him

Slow dancing

Tearing me apart'

Cause you don't see

Whenever you kiss him

I'm breaking,

Oh how I wish

Oh how I wish

Oh how I wish that was me

"Thank you." I smile curtly, and then hand the microphone to Niall who's walking towards me.

As Niall announces the next person, I climb off the stage and run my hand through my hair. My mind is in a million in one places, and I am completely confused.

Perrie approaches me cautiously.  "Harry?"

I turn towards her, and after a moments hesitation, she jumps onto me, wrapping her arms around me. "You were amazing, Harry!"

I let out a relieved chuckle,  and wrap my arms around her. "Thanks, Perr."

~~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

83.4K 2.2K 40
Abigail Wesley, 16, prostitute/stripper. Niall Horan, 19,famous band member. Abigail was sent to live with her Uncle, her mom thought it would be be...
57K 1.7K 24
Sometimes our lives change when we least expect them to. We meet our best friends in when we're unprepared to make friends. Our lives change so drast...
129K 5K 65
I turned to leave but he grabbed my wrist and pulled me towards him. I panicked, 'I know you're lying', he said with his eyes piercing my soul. 'I ha...
8.5K 355 18
Hi. I'm Audra Rayne. I live in Wolverhampton. You might not know me as... well, me. But You may be knowing Liam Payne (Obviously) from One Direction...