Daevas -I- ✔️

By -S-N-O-

Mouths lie, but blood does not. Ari confronts this profound truth as a holy war between humans and demons eru... More

*************
Chapter 1.1: Perchance a Demon
Chapter 1.2: Honey and Mead
Chapter 1.3: Apples
Chapter 2: Name
Chapter 2.1: Left Behind
Chapter 2.2: Lies
Chapter 3: Lessons
Chapter 3.1: Ignorance
Chapter 3.2: Taint
Chapter 3.3: Knowledge
Chapter 4: Sacrilegious
Chapter 4.1: Lust
Chapter 4.2: Astray
Chapter 4.3: Trespass
Chapter 4.4: Desecration
Chapter 5: Curiosity
Chapter 5.1: Wonderment
Chapter 5.2: Marks
Chapter 6.1: Erroneous
Chapter 6.2: Touch
Chapter 6.3: Blond Beauty
Chapter 6.4: Dark Night
Chapter: 6.5 Distance
Chapter 7: Discovery
Chapter 7.1: Sin
Chapter 7.2: Desire
Chapter 7.3: Loss
Chapter 7.4: Love
Chapter 7.5: Lost
Chapter 8: Rumination
Chapter 8.1: Doubt
Chapter 8.2: Intimacy
Chapter 8.3: Longing
Chapter 9: Enigma
Chapter 9.1: Forgotten
Chapter 9.2: Recollections
Chapter 9.3: Ardor
Chapter 9.4: Envelop
Chapter 9.5: Revelations
Chapter 9.6: Revelations II
Chapter 10: Maelstrom
Chapter 10.1: Missing Pieces
Chapter 10.2: Ultimatum
Chapter 10.3: Darkness
Chapter 10.4: Judgment
Chapter 11: Twilight
Chapter 11.1: Clandestine
Chapter 11.2: Shadows and Whispers
Chapter 11.3: Poison
Chapter 11.4: Deceit
Chapter 11.5: Blood Ties
Chapter 12: Truth Be Told
Chapter 12.1: Two Sides
Chapter 12.2: Stories & Stars
Chapter 12.3: Hypocrite
Chapter 12.4: Liar
Chapter 12.5: Choice
Chapter 13: Tick-tock
Chapter 13.1: Undone
Chapter 13.2: Reason
Chapter 13.3: Friend
Chapter 13.4: Resolve
Chapter 14: The Greats
Chapter 14.1: Unmasked
Chapter 14.2: Labyrinth
Chapter 14.3: Memories
Chapter 14.4: Remembrance
Chapter 15: True Self
Chapter 15.1: Ensnared
Chapter 15.2: Starry Night
Chapter 15.3: Frustration
Chapter 15.4: Promise
Chapter 16: Harun
Chapter 16.1: Temptation
Chapter 16.2: Only if for a Night
Chapter 16.3: Requited
Chapter 16.4: Ties That Bond Us
Chapter 17: Home
Chapter 17.1: Demon Town
Chapter 17.2: Reciprocity
Chapter 17.3: Trick or Treat
Chapter 17.4: Deviant
Chapter 17.5: Beguiling Devil
Chapter 18: Trial by Fire
Chapter 18.1: Fever
Chapter 18.2: Scabs
Chapter 18.3: Scars
*Daevari -II-*

Chapter 6: Journey

7.4K 524 108
By -S-N-O-

Auovin had pressed forward with the decision to venture deeper into Dantic, despite Cyrus's initial hesitation and reluctance to leave Assania. It was common knowledge among those familiar with demons that Dantic was considered demon country, a territory relinquished to them long ago. Ari scanned the surroundings, searching for Rein and Freir. They were engaged in fervent whispers, drawing closer together. In truth, Ari, too, began to feel a growing sense of wariness.

Ari absentmindedly touched his lips and ran a hand through his hair, attempting to divert his attention from Auovin and Cyrus closeness. Yet, a monstrous sensation, festering within him like an insidious growth, spread like acid through his insides. Balling his hands into fists, he suppressed the bitterness with thoughts of finding answers and glimpsing a new world that had long eluded him. He reminded himself that Auovin was merely guiding him, nothing more, pushing aside the unsettling feeling gnawing at him.

As much as he wanted to press for more from Auovin, Ari knew he should stop and heed Freir's warning. Auovin was a demon, and his desire for him was different from the feelings Ari had. He was not foolish enough to believe in Auovin's honeyed words either. Auovin would never see him in the same light as he saw Cyrus or Inge, for that matter. He was being used. Ari closed his eyes at the thought and sighed away a frown.

"Ari, my boy, come here." Ari looked at Freir as he motioned for him to come closer. "Quickly now," he said in a hushed voice.

Ari lagged behind to let Freir catch up to him. The moment he did, Freir grabbed Ari by the neck and brought him close.

"This has gone on long enough. If we go any further, we may not come back alive."

Ari smacked his hand away, causing Freir to grab it and scowl at him with pain laced through his eyes.

"Freir are you––"

"––I am fine, Rein."

"Your hand..." Rein looked from Freir to Ari with a paling face. "You did not... "

"He is a young boy. They make mistakes," Freir said.

"You had warned him and he blatantly ignored it! He has been led astray and there is no way of getting him to come back with us now." Rein looked at Freir's reddening hand and ran his thumb across it restlessly.

"You are worrying for nothing. I had raised him. You had raised him. He knows where he belongs."

Ari could do nothing but look at his own hands in shock. He had not... He did not mean to hurt him. It was a small thing, a simple smack as he always had done.

"Forgive me, I did not mean to— "

Rein cut Ari off with a sharp push and glared. "You stay over there."

"Rein!" Freir said.

"He will turn on us like a rabid dog!"

Ari knitted his brows together as his heart sank to the pits of his stomach at his words. Was that what he was? A rabid dog? It was a small mistake. He would never harm Freir of all people. Maybe Rein, but never him. As disappointed as he was with Freir, Ari still looked at him as someone very close and dear to his heart.

"It was a mistake. He did not mean it. Leave him be," Freir hissed and yanked Rein by his collar. "He is ours."

"For how much longer?"

"Freir pushed past Rein to approach Ari closely, but Ari, avoiding eye contact, turned his head and continued walking ahead. He was determined not to reveal the hurt etched across his face.

"Ari, boy, come here," Freir called out, but Ari pressed on, disregarding his words. Undeterred, Freir called again and reached out, grabbing Ari's wrist.

With a firm grip, Freir spun Ari around, leading him off the trail and into the dense forestry. "Boy, listen to me," Freir implored, turning Ari's head back just as he attempted to turn away. "I care for you, and you hold a special place in my heart. It does not matter what blood flows through your veins."

"I could not help it," Ari sobbed.

"Ari, it was wrong of us to hide this from you so long. We tell you something is wrong when innately it feels right... And it is wrong of us to do. You are not like us nor will you ever be like us–– and that is okay."

Ari was riddled with confusing emotions. He did not know what was right or wrong anymore. At that moment, it was what he wanted, needed, so he took it. Looking back on it now, it was very wrong and he had, once again, disappointed a man who thought the world of him.

"So forgive us... and come back with us," Freir pleaded.

"I cannot."

"Ari," Freir urged, his concern palpable.

"I cannot and you know it. I am not the same as any of you and I will not be looked at as some kind of dog," Ari hissed.

"I do not think that of you," Freir responded, trying to reassure him.

"But everyone else does! They always have. I do not want to go back." Tears dripped down his face, betraying him. He swiped at them angrily, but only more came.

"Dry your eyes. Dry your eyes now, boy." Freir's calloused fingers wiped away the tears dripping down his face, trying to calm him, but it only made him feel worse. How could he possibly live up to his expectations when everything he wanted from him his body spoke differently of?

"Things are not always as you think they are... Nolan will tell you the same."

"I do not care what Nolan says. He is a liar as well."

"And for good reason! That demon," Freir pointed off into the distance, "is of the devil, evil incarnate. Do not be swayed by such pretty words and face. Inside of it is nothing but wretchedness. It is tempting, as all bad things are..." Ari swallowed nervously as Freir looked at him, studying his face.

"When Nolan brought you back that day... You had become mine. And no matter the choices you make, I will always love you and hold you dear to my heart. You are mine, no matter the blood we do not share."

"Do not show me such love when I am undeserving of it. I do not need it. I do not want it." Despite his spoken defiance, Ari knew Freir saw through his words. Freir had a way of calming his aching heart with the right words, giving him comfort when he needed it the most. He had stood by Ari through every misstep and past blunder, even when one resulted in the scar on his face.

"I am confused," Ari said for lack of any better words.

"As you should be."

Auovin stirred in him feelings that he loved to feel, and it felt wrong to even think that way. He thought it was just his body betraying his mind, but it went deeper than that, like an insatiable craving. Truly, he could not help it. Just the thought of it had the back of his throat itching and his heart pumping.

"... I do not know what is wrong with me... " Ari mumbled.

"There is nothing wrong with you."

"There is."

"There is not. There is not, Ari."

Ari's gaze dropped, and he released a shaky sigh. The doubt lingered; he could not bring himself to believe him.

"You are attracted to... him and that is normal. You are curious and captivated by him and that is normal as well."

No matter Ari's attempts at explanation, Freir would not begin to comprehend. For Ari, being with Auovin was like discovering a missing piece of himself that seamlessly connected with others he had not recognized were gone. It mirrored the beauty of a falling star and the comforting caress of ocean waves against his feet. Ari admitted it was not love, but the close, intimate moments shared with Auovin left him perplexed, wrestling with emotions he wished to avoid but welcomed, wanted, yearned for.

"If you decide to go on... Rein and I... we cannot go," Freir said. Ari looked up at him.

"You will be by yourself there."

"I can take care of myself."

"Ari--"

"I can. I know where to go to find you."

Freir smiled sadly and nodded. "It is a journey you will have to make by yourself, as I had known from the beginning. I was hoping you would never have to find out... Ignorance was a bitter bliss for you, once."

"It was."

They walked back in silence from where they had left Rein, and found him sitting against one of the boulders, throwing small rocks into the lake. Rein gave one look to Freir before turning his gaze toward Ari.

"So you have decided to leave with the Blood Demon, then? It's as I expected. Go on and go. Forget we ever did anything for you," Rein spat.

"Rein, if he must find out this way, then it is the way things have to be. He will come back to us soon enough."

Rein sniffed and pointed north. "Go with your own kind. See how well you fare there without us."

"Your words are harsh," Ari said.

"As they should be. Do you think I would send you off with a hug and smile like Freir? No, I am not as kind and soft-hearted as him. You were a damned thing to begin with."

"Rein––"

"No, Freir. Do you know what we had gone through to keep you alive and the way you are now?" Rein yelled. "You are ungrateful and insolent. Now you go on to leave us for something that kisses your neck ever so often while kissing on others? You will come running back and my arms will not be open to you."

Rein stood and walked back south, causing Ari's heart to wither at the cruelty of his words.

"Auovin kisses on many necks," Inge said, appearing seemingly out of nowhere. "That is no secret." He smiled and approached Rein.

"I can tell you a truer one if you let me kiss yours." Inge grinned as Rein scrunched up his face in disgust.

"N––"

"Wait, Rein," Freir said, cutting him off, "a secret about a dear friend of yours?"

Inge nodded. Freir looked at Rein as he shook his head. "How true?"

"Very true."

"But he is a dear friend... "

"Ah, there is no such thing. Only blood and love. No in between." Inge took Rein's chin in hand and smiled. "Oh, do not feign such disgust. You know you like what you see and would not mind having a taste." His finger trailed down the opening part in Rein's shirt as his grin grew.

Ari's eyes snapped back to Freir, who appeared to be contemplating the absurd idea. Rein was his lover. He would not just... Rein pushed away from Inge and strode over to Freir, landing a solid punch square across his face.

"I am not some bargaining chip you can do what you please with!" Rein said.

"That was not what I was––"

"Go on and care for the boy, but do not use me to do it!" Rein turned his head, locking eyes with Ari as he spoke. "It is obvious where your heart truly lies, so do not leave with me. I cannot stand the thought of you right now."

Freir's face darkened as he rubbed his cheek and spat out blood.

"Lover's quarrel, hm? They are never good." Inge smiled.

"You did that on purpose," Freir seethed.

"And what if I had? He sees where his worth lies with you. To me, he is priceless."

"Damned demon," Freir spat.

"Do not worry. I will bring him back. So no more talk of leaving, hm? Well, unless you want to lose your lover along the way."

Ari looked dead into Inge's brown eyes, genuinely shocked at what he had done. Freir was right in his words. They were evil incarnate with a tempestuous nature about them. However, Auovin was right as well. Not all demons were the same. Although Cyrus could be quite threatening, he did nothing unless it involved Auovin.

Inge gave Ari a push. "Shall we begin this journey now?"

-------------------------------------------

[A/N] Inge is just diabolical. (secretly like him, though) He found the kink in their link and took full advantage of it. Ari is wise to have taken note of that. That is only a small taste of what Blood Demons are capable of, especially if it means getting what they want. 

Inge did not want Rein leaving, and he found a way to prevent that. Checkmate Freir. 

Leave me your thoughts down below!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

59 0 24
Chaya can't remember his past. Mavet doesn't know who he is. Haniel just wants to finish his junior year soccer season in peace. Is that too much to...
347 89 28
(Book 1/3) Ramses lives alone without his parents, like most of the kids in his neighborhood. Despite this, he still has his best friend, Dante. He a...
2.1K 624 31
[COMPLETED] Elliot wants to win the war. An unresolved conflict from the past led Angels and Demons to be at each other's throats. With each time he...
262K 13.2K 32
His voice dropped a few octaves in a way that made my knees tremble and my body ache, "come here and I'll show you." Kellen Lacroix has suffered the...