The Drunken Feathers

By TheSassyDuchess

In this biographical series that begins in 1784, twenty-one-year-old George, Prince of Wales-- the eldest son... More

CHARACTERS
Episode I: First Gentleman of England
Scene I
Scene II
Scene III
Scene IV
Scene V
Scene VI
Scene VII
Scene VIII
Scene IX
Scene X
Episode II: The Papist
Scene I
Scene II
Scene III
Scene IV
Scene V
Scene V
Scene VI
Scene VII
Scene VIII
Scene IX
Scene X
Scene XI
Episode III: Unalterably Thine
Scene I
Scene II
Scene III
Scene IV
Scene V
Scene VI
Scene VII
Scene VIII
Scene IX
Scene X
Scene XI
Scene XII
Scene XIII
Scene XIV
Scene XV
Scene XVI
Episode IV: Filial Piety
Scene xxi
Scene xxii
Scene xxiii
Scene xxiv
Episode V: Quieta Non Movere
Scene i
Scene ii
Scene iii
Scene iv
Scene v
Scene vi
Episode VI: The Marriage
Scene vii
Scene ix
Scene x
Episode VII: The Other Prince
Scene xi
Scene xii
Scene xiii
Scene xiv
Episode VIII: Delirium
Scene I
Scene xv
Scene xvi
Scene xvii
Scene xviii
Scene xix
Scene xx
Episode IX: Rex Noster Insanit
Scene xxi
Scene xxxi
Scene xxxii
Scene xxxiii
Scene xxxiv
Scene xxxv
Scene xxxvi
Scene xxxvii
Scene xxxviii
Scene xxxix
Scene xxxx
Scene xxxxi
Scene xxxxii
Episode X: Ich Dien
Scene xxxxiii
Scene xxxxiv
Scene xxxxv
Scene xxxxvi
Scene xxxxvii
Scene xxxxviii
Scene xxxxix
Scene l
Scene li

Scene viii

22 0 0
By TheSassyDuchess

(The hall inside of the House of Commons. The words 'MAY 4TH, 1787' appear. GREY is shown talking to FOX, SHERIDAN, the DUKE OF PORTLAND, LORD LOUGHBOROUGH, LORD STORMONT, the DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE, EDMUND BURKE, and LORD SANDWICH.)

GREY

You must forgive me, Mr. Fox, but I cannot speak on your behalf today.

FOX

And why the devil not?

GREY

I have decided that it would not be in your best interest, sir.

FOX

Did you not call at Carlton yesterday and speak with the Prince?

GREY

I...had the misfortune of doing so, yes.

FOX

(Annoyed)

What happened?

GREY

Well... I called at Carlton House yesterday evening.

SHERIDAN

Oh, Christ, not another bloody story.

(A flashback begins, with GREY narrating it. Carlton House is shown. SERVANT #1 opens the door to find an eager GREY, whom he lets inside.)

GREY 

I was led to the crimson drawing room, where I was asked to wait so that the servant could apprise the Prince of my arrival.

(SERVANT #1 hesitantly returns, opens the door, and allows GREY to enter.)

GREY (cont.)

When I was finally permitted to enter, I bowed to the Prince with the sincerest reverence. However, upon rising, I observed that His Royal Highness appeared to be in a state of trepidation and nearing one of inebriation.

(The PRINCE OF WALES, looking tipsy, disheveled and miserable, is shown drinking from a bottle of brandy while trembling and pacing the room. Upon seeing GREY, the PRINCE OF WALES stands still and approaches GREY with relief.)

PRINCE OF WALES

(Slurring his words slightly)

Mr... Grey, is it?

GREY (within flashback)

(Nods)

Indeed, Your Royal Highness.

PRINCE OF WALES

Charles certainly went too far last night.

(Patting GREY on the shoulder)

You, my dear...Grey...shall explain it.

GREY

How might I go about that, Your Royal Highness?

PRINCE OF WALES

You must contradict Charles on every point he made, but without touching upon the fact...the accusation...that Mrs. Fitzherbert and I are married... Though, I suppose I am obliged to confess that a small ceremony took place, illegitimate though it was...

GREY

As Your Royal Highness is our most important and beloved adherent, I wish to aid you to the best of my ability... However, to contradict Mr. Fox would be to question his veracity, and I could never commit such a betrayal.

PRINCE OF WALES

(Irritated and desperate)

Why should you give a damn about Charles' veracity when I may very well lose everything in my possession?

(The PRINCE OF WALES gazes pensively at a portrait of MRS. FITZHERBERT on the wall.)

PRINCE OF WALES (cont.)

(Beat, pensive)

I have lost too much already.

GREY

I pray for Your Royal Highness' forgiveness and understanding.

PRINCE OF WALES

(Beat)

Are you adamant in your refusal, then?

GREY

I regret to say I am, sir.

GREY (narrating)

The Prince at last threw himself onto the couch and said...

PRINCE OF WALES

Then...Sheridan must say something.

(Back in the present, the WHIGS all turn to SHERIDAN, who groans with annoyance.)

SHERIDAN

Oh, damn it all.

(A stir in the crowd; the politicians in the room all turn towards the doors, which are opened for the PRINCE OF WALES. People make a path for him and bow as he walks gloomily towards the WHIGS. He carries a canteen in his hand, and he looks sickly, disheveled, and depressed.)

PRINCE OF WALES

Morning, gentlemen... I trust you all are much better off than I am at present.

(The PRINCE OF WALES notices the WHIGS impatiently glaring at him.)

PRINCE OF WALES (cont.)

Why am I received with such indifference?

LORD LOUGHBOROUGH

We have been informed, sir.

PRINCE OF WALES

Of what, pray tell?

DUKE OF PORTLAND

Of an event involving a certain lady.

(Pause. The PRINCE OF WALES feigns ignorance.)

LORD STORMONT

(In a low voice)

Mrs. Fitzherbert.

(The PRINCE OF WALES stares blankly at the WHIGS as though he has no idea what they are talking about.)

SHERIDAN

Goddammit, the marriage, George!

PRINCE OF WALES

(Feigning innocence)

What marriage?

FOX

(Loudly)

Your marriage to that Papist...

(The WHIGS attempt to quiet FOX so that they will not attract any unwanted attention from the TORIES. PITT and some of the TORIES glance at the WHIGS in confusion.)

FOX (cont.)

(In a low voice)

You lied to us from the very start, swearing that you would never wed that woman, that you would never see her again; and now our party's ruin is imminent. What a fool I was to trust your word!

(FOX turns away and walks towards the door to the House of Commons. The WHIGS and the PRINCE OF WALES follow him and speak in a low voice.)

PRINCE OF WALES

(Whispering)

All that took place was a very small ceremony, one that carries no legitimacy according to the laws of this country!

FOX

You have damned us all. I shall not speak for you again, nor will any other sensible person.

PRINCE OF WALES

Charles, you are my one defender!

FOX

I was indeed.

PRINCE OF WALES

How can you abandon me in my time of need? I have no one else!

FOX

You have brought this upon yourself, you foolish boy!

(Pause. The PRINCE OF WALES glares at him, insulted. Some other politicians quiet down to listen to the conflict. FOX realizes he has overstepped and panics.)

PRINCE OF WALES

(Low, warning tone)

I beg your pardon, Mr. Fox?

FOX (cont.)

(Quickly, to GREY)

I say, Grey, you foolish boy, get you in the House and wait for us there.

(GREY and most of the WHIGS enter the house with the other politicians. FOX and SHERIDAN remain. The PRINCE OF WALES stands in front of them.)

PRINCE OF WALES

I will not allow you to take another step until you swear to defend me in the House.

FOX

Your Royal Highness, I have given you my answer. I cannot be moved.

PRINCE OF WALES

Goddammit, Charles! Help me but once, and I...

SHERIDAN

(Annoyed, reluctant)

I shall speak on your behalf.

(The PRINCE OF WALES and FOX are astonished. The PRINCE OF WALES is overwhelmed with relief.)

PRINCE OF WALES

Will you? Oh, Richard! My dearest friend, my...

SHERIDAN

Let me make myself quite plain, sir. I will speak upon that delicate subject...but not for your sake. I speak for the benefit of the lady, and only the lady, according to her request.

PRINCE OF WALES

(Weakly)

Very well.

(Beat)

Sheridan... Your speech today shall act as my apology to her. She will likely read it in the paper tomorrow. You are a playwright, a poet... Pray, make it sincere, as though the words were coming straight from my mouth.

(After giving SHERIDAN a sincere and anxious look, the PRINCE OF WALES exits for the balcony. The MP's are called into the House. The remaining politicians, including FOX and SHERIDAN, enter the House.)

FOX

Now, Richard, you are under no obligation...

SHERIDAN

I know.

FOX

Why do it, then?

SHERIDAN

As I said, I do it for the lady. I mean to prove her virtue.

FOX

What will you say?

SHERIDAN

I have no earthly idea.

(As they sit, the members are called to order, and they quiet down to hear NEWNHAM's motion.)

SPEAKER

Mr. Newnham, Independent Member for the City of London, you may rise to deliver your motion.

NEWNHAM

(Stands, looking content)

I am extremely happy to announce, Mr. Speaker, that I will not be bringing forward my motion today or in future.

(He sits)

SPEAKER

Very well, Mr. Newnham. Mr. Fox, Whig Member for Westminster and Leader of the Opposition, you may rise to deliver your sentiments on the Prince of Wales' financial situation.

FOX

(Stands)

I have decided against saying anything more on that subject. Mr. Sheridan, Whig Member for Stafford, has undertaken that task.

SPEAKER

Then let him stand and deliver.

(Nods to Sheridan)

Mr. Sheridan.

SHERIDAN

(Stands)

I shall now mention a person on whose conduct truth can fix no just reproach, and whose character claims, and is entitled to, the truest and most general respect. This person is completely innocent in relation to this predicament, having no relevancy to it herself, nor any indecent connection to His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales. There is no concrete evidence that can be found to support my opposers' claims, and as a person who is personally acquainted with His Royal Highness, I am in strong denial that he would even consider contracting an illegal marriage with a Catholic. This country, which His Royal Highness will someday claim as his own, has always been his first and foremost priority to honor and adhere to... As for the Prince's unfortunate pecuniary troubles, His Royal Highness has undoubtedly behaved most honorably, having made every possible sacrifice to clear his debts, even abandoning his estate in London this past twelve-month for Brighthelmstone. It is my belief that His Royal Highness' deficit warrants liquidation, as his noble and prodigious character has thus proved that he shall never again allow it to accumulate to this great extent... But above all, let the good character of the lady be acknowledged, as it has been slandered through no fault of her own.

(The WHIGS smile with satisfaction. The PRINCE OF WALES sighs with some relief. Cut to ACT II, SCENE IX.)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.7K 101 119
this is the second book of the story entitled ''the heir to the throne'', we will talk about their difficulties, marriage, their children, family lif...
A Lover's Triumph By Joy

Historical Fiction

5.7K 176 17
Prince Charles of England attends a state dinner hosted by his mother and father, Queen Elizabeth II of England, and Prince Philip of Edinburgh. Duri...
824K 20.1K 95
The life of Princess Adeline of Wales was never going to be a simple one. Born the third child and only daughter of the Prince and Princess of Wales...
10.6K 78 116
This story is about the heir to the Brisish throne Prince William and the heir to the Spanish throne Princess Leonor, the first part of this story i...