The Drunken Feathers

By TheSassyDuchess

In this biographical series that begins in 1784, twenty-one-year-old George, Prince of Wales-- the eldest son... More

CHARACTERS
Episode I: First Gentleman of England
Scene I
Scene II
Scene III
Scene IV
Scene V
Scene VI
Scene VII
Scene VIII
Scene IX
Scene X
Episode II: The Papist
Scene I
Scene II
Scene III
Scene IV
Scene V
Scene V
Scene VI
Scene VII
Scene VIII
Scene IX
Scene X
Scene XI
Episode III: Unalterably Thine
Scene I
Scene II
Scene III
Scene IV
Scene V
Scene VI
Scene VIII
Scene IX
Scene X
Scene XI
Scene XII
Scene XIII
Scene XIV
Scene XV
Scene XVI
Episode IV: Filial Piety
Scene xxi
Scene xxii
Scene xxiii
Scene xxiv
Episode V: Quieta Non Movere
Scene i
Scene ii
Scene iii
Scene iv
Scene v
Scene vi
Episode VI: The Marriage
Scene vii
Scene viii
Scene ix
Scene x
Episode VII: The Other Prince
Scene xi
Scene xii
Scene xiii
Scene xiv
Episode VIII: Delirium
Scene I
Scene xv
Scene xvi
Scene xvii
Scene xviii
Scene xix
Scene xx
Episode IX: Rex Noster Insanit
Scene xxi
Scene xxxi
Scene xxxii
Scene xxxiii
Scene xxxiv
Scene xxxv
Scene xxxvi
Scene xxxvii
Scene xxxviii
Scene xxxix
Scene xxxx
Scene xxxxi
Scene xxxxii
Episode X: Ich Dien
Scene xxxxiii
Scene xxxxiv
Scene xxxxv
Scene xxxxvi
Scene xxxxvii
Scene xxxxviii
Scene xxxxix
Scene l
Scene li

Scene VII

26 0 0
By TheSassyDuchess

(The exterior of Carlton house is shown, then the interior. MRS. FITZHERBERT and the DUCHESS OF DEVONSHIRE are led to the bedchamber by LORD SOUTHAMPTON, LORD ONSLOW, HON. BOUVERIE, and KEATE. As KEATE approaches the door, the other three gentlemen stand back.)

KEATE

(To MRS. FITZHERBERT)

I pray you can stand the sight of blood, madam.

MRS. FITZHERBERT

No, not more than a few drops.

KEATE

Then it would be best that you do not look...anywhere. If the Duchess is willing, perhaps she can guide you in.

DUCHESS OF DEVONSHIRE

Blood does not shock me in the least. I sometimes compose letters in my own blood when the occasion suits it.

KEATE

I shall first examine the Prince to ensure his bandages are properly bound, and then you may approach him.

(MRS. FITZHERBERT nods, feeling unsettled. KEATE cautiously opens the door and enters, followed by the DUCHESS OF DEVONSHIRE, who takes MRS. FITZHERBERT's hand and leads her in. Several servants surround the PRINCE OF WALES' bed, blocking MRS. FITZHERBERT's view of him. They exit and allow the DUCHESS OF DEVONSHIRE to approach him.)

DUCHESS OF DEVONSHIRE

Oh George, what have you done to yourself?

PRINCE OF WALES

(Weak, confused)

Georgiana? What...

DUCHESS OF DEVONSHIRE

Lord Southampton directed me here to see you, sir, but I am simply a chaperone for your true visitor.

(The DUCHESS OF DEVONSHIRE steps aside, revealing the PRINCE OF WALES lying on his bed. His bare chest is covered in bloodied bandages and a glass of brandy sits on his nightstand. He is extremely pale and weak. His hands are also covered in blood and his arms have visible scars.)

(Seeing him in this state shocks MRS. FITZHERBERT, so she gasps and turns around in horror. Her knees buckle and she nearly faints. The DUCHESS OF DEVONSHIRE takes her arm as another servant brings a chair for her so she can sit.)

PRINCE OF WALES

(Delirious, confused)

Maria?

(He attempts to sit up, but KEATE encourages him to lie back down.)

MRS. FITZHERBERT

I must turn back.

DUCHESS OF DEVONSHIRE

Mrs. Fitzherbert, rest a moment...

MRS. FITZHERBERT

No, I must go this instant.

(Just as MRS. FITZHERBERT leaves the room, LORD SOUTHAMPTON, HON. BOUVERIE, and LORD ONSLOW appear in front of her, preventing her from going further.)

MRS. FITZHERBERT

Send for the carriage and take me home at once, I beg you.

LORD SOUTHAMPTON

Necessity prevents me, madam. We cannot permit you to leave Carlton House until a promise has been made.

MRS. FITZHERBERT

(Suspicious)

A promise?

HON. BOUVERIE

The Prince of Wales is adamant that he cannot be induced to live until you accept his offer of marriage.

MRS. FITZHERBERT

The circumstances surrounding the law make that impossible.

LORD ONSLOW

The circumstances have put His Royal Highness' life in danger. You must accept his proposal if he is to live.

MRS. FITZHERBERT

What a cruel trick you gentlemen are practicing, not only against myself, but also the Prince. He is too delirious to make rational decisions.

LORD SOUTHAMPTON

As servants of the Prince of Wales, and thereby the King, we have a constitutional duty to protect His Royal Highness' life via any necessary means. An unconstitutional marriage may or may not preserve his place in the line of succession, but it will preserve his life.

DUCHESS OF DEVONSHIRE

Mrs. Fitzherbert? The Prince wishes to share an audience with you.

(MRS. FITZHERBERT hesitates for a moment, glares at the gentlemen, and ultimately joins the DUCHESS OF DEVONSHIRE in the bedchamber. Being careful not to look at the PRINCE OF WALES too long, she sits in the chair at his bedside but looks down into her lap.)

PRINCE OF WALES

(Weakly)

I never imagined you would call at Carlton tonight.

MRS. FITZHERBERT

Nor did I, sir.

PRINCE OF WALES

It is a welcome surprise, I assure you.

(Beat)

I am sorry to see you in this condition, as well as my own. I fear I have upset you.

MRS. FITZHERBERT

You are not at fault, sir, though it pains me to see the extent of your self-inflicted wounds.

PRINCE OF WALES

I've only stabbed my breast tonight; the other wounds are older. I have a terrible habit of cutting and bleeding myself, I'm afraid. It alleviates my nerves, but my surgeon fears I shall slash open an artery and expire; don't you, Keate?

KEATE

(Cleaning up bloody cloths and bandages)

There is always a risk of that, sir.

MRS. FITZHERBERT

I shall pray for Your Royal Highness' swift recovery.

PRINCE OF WALES

You are an angel, madam, thank you.

(Beat)

Might I still hope to be your husband in the near future?

MRS. FITZHERBERT

Is our union truly the only thing that can dissuade you from suicide?

PRINCE OF WALES

Upon my life, I shall never again consider it if we are to be married.

MRS. FITZHERBERT

(Pause, contemplating)

Then I promise myself to you.

PRINCE OF WALES

Oh, Maria! Only an hour ago I was the most melancholic creature on Earth, but now I am the happiest. Would you give me your hand?

(MRS. FITZHERBERT stretches out her hand. He winces as he sits up and takes her hand gently, and she winces at the feeling of his blood on her hands.)

PRINCE OF WALES (cont.)

Georgiana, might I make use of one of your rings?

(The DUCHESS OF DEVONSHIRE removes a ring from her hand and gives it to the PRINCE OF WALES, who delicately places it on MRS. FITZHERBERT's finger and kisses her hand.)

PRINCE OF WALES (cont.)

Once I am recovered, I will look for a clergyman and witnesses. Until then, let me reassure you of my constant loyalty and everlasting love. Henceforth, I shall look upon myself as married... I have no doubt I can expect the same from you.

MRS. FITZHERBERT

Indeed, sir. You...are very much loved.

(The PRINCE OF WALES smiles; he is not told this often. MRS. FITZHERBERT gently pulls her hand away and is troubled by both the blood and the ring. She stands.)

MRS. FITZHERBERT (cont.)

I must bid Your Royal Highness goodnight; I am much exhausted by the events of this evening.

PRINCE OF WALES

Very well. Goodnight, my love. I shall write to you soon.

(MRS. FITZHERBERT curtseys and turns to leave.)

PRINCE OF WALES (cont.)

Oh, Maria?

(She turns toward him)

Please address me by my Christian name from now on.

MRS. FITZHERBERT

Very well. Goodnight...George.

(The PRINCE OF WALES smiles and settles contently back into bed so KEATE can continue to treat him. MRS. FITZHERBERT turns back around and leaves the bedchamber. The DUCHESS OF DEVONSHIRE follows, and the door is closed behind them. They faced with LORD SOUTHAMPTON, HON. BOUVERIE, and LORD ONSLOW, who look satisfied with themselves.)

LORD SOUTHAMPTON

See? Now everybody is content.

LORD ONSLOW

And alive.

LORD SOUTHAMPTON

The Prince has your love, and you are betrothed to the most eligible bachelor in the world.

MRS. FITZHERBERT

Send for a carriage. I wish to leave.

LORD SOUTHAMPTON

Certainly, madam. The Duchess shall escort you back to Mayfair. I have no doubt we shall see you again at Carlton before long.

(The gentlemen exit, leaving MRS. FITZHERBERT and the DUCHESS OF DEVONSHIRE alone.)

DUCHESS OF DEVONSHIRE

Come, dear. I shall see you home.

(The DUCHESS OF DEVONSHIRE begins to exit. MRS. FITZHERBERT remains behind for a moment, still pondering the Prince.)

MRS. FITZHERBERT

(Whispering to herself)

Forgive me, George, for what I must do.

(She exits. Cut to SCENE VIII.)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 69 14
King Richard and Queen Katherine Winstanley tried for a long time to have a baby. It didn't seem as if it was going to happen and that when Richard d...
3.9K 63 11
โ๐™ป๐š˜๐šŸ๐šŽ ๐š’๐šœ๐š—'๐š ๐šŠ๐š•๐š ๐šŠ๐šข๐šœ ๐š™๐šŽ๐š›๐š๐šŽ๐šŒ๐šโž เชœโ€โžด โ™” ๐’๐จ๐ฆ๐ž๐ฐ๐ก๐ž๐ซ๐ž ๐›๐ž๐ญ๐ฐ๐ž๐ž๐ง ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ฌ๐š๐ง๐ ๐š๐ง๐ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ฌ๐š๏ฟฝ...
74.8K 3.6K 27
This story takes place in England, 1760, some years before lady Georgia sadly married Lord Walter Pearson at the young age of sixteen. Four years la...
1.1K 65 21
An esteemed Barons daughter of High-society is forced to accept a marriage in order to save her unloving family from bankruptcy. It's her final show...