The Drunken Feathers

By TheSassyDuchess

In this biographical series that begins in 1784, twenty-one-year-old George, Prince of Wales-- the eldest son... More

CHARACTERS
Episode I: First Gentleman of England
Scene I
Scene II
Scene III
Scene IV
Scene V
Scene VI
Scene VII
Scene VIII
Scene IX
Scene X
Episode II: The Papist
Scene I
Scene II
Scene III
Scene IV
Scene V
Scene VI
Scene VII
Scene VIII
Scene IX
Scene X
Scene XI
Episode III: Unalterably Thine
Scene I
Scene II
Scene III
Scene IV
Scene V
Scene VI
Scene VII
Scene VIII
Scene IX
Scene X
Scene XI
Scene XII
Scene XIII
Scene XIV
Scene XV
Scene XVI
Episode IV: Filial Piety
Scene xxi
Scene xxii
Scene xxiii
Scene xxiv
Episode V: Quieta Non Movere
Scene i
Scene ii
Scene iii
Scene iv
Scene v
Scene vi
Episode VI: The Marriage
Scene vii
Scene viii
Scene ix
Scene x
Episode VII: The Other Prince
Scene xi
Scene xii
Scene xiii
Scene xiv
Episode VIII: Delirium
Scene I
Scene xv
Scene xvi
Scene xvii
Scene xviii
Scene xix
Scene xx
Episode IX: Rex Noster Insanit
Scene xxi
Scene xxxi
Scene xxxii
Scene xxxiii
Scene xxxiv
Scene xxxv
Scene xxxvi
Scene xxxvii
Scene xxxviii
Scene xxxix
Scene xxxx
Scene xxxxi
Scene xxxxii
Episode X: Ich Dien
Scene xxxxiii
Scene xxxxiv
Scene xxxxv
Scene xxxxvi
Scene xxxxvii
Scene xxxxviii
Scene xxxxix
Scene l
Scene li

Scene V

44 0 0
By TheSassyDuchess

(The ball at Carlton House has already begun; it is nighttime. In the ornate ballroom, hundreds of guests are present. CAPTAIN JOHN WILLETT PAYNE, a friend of the PRINCE OF WALES, weaves through the crowd and reaches the PRINCE OF WALES, who is lightly drinking and conversing with FOX, SHERIDAN, and his other friends: HON. GEORGE HANGER, JOHN PHILLIP KEMBLE, RICHARD COSWAY, CHARLES WILLIAM WINDHAM, and COLONEL ANTHONY ST. LEGER.)

CAPTAIN PAYNE

She's here, George.

COSWAY

Who?

CAPTAIN PAYNE

The Papist!

(FOX and SHERIDAN exchange a look of worry.)

PRINCE OF WALES

My darling Maria has come at last!

SHERIDAN

(Drinking)

Here we go.

PRINCE OF WALES

I must find her at once. Do excuse me, gentlemen.

(FOX and SHERIDAN set their plan into motion. FOX takes the PRINCE OF WALES by the arm and takes him aside slightly.)

FOX

Prinny, why continue to chase after that plain, common woman when you can have any other female in this room? Look, here are some young, desperate virgins who are foolish enough to think you might marry them. You could enjoy some conversation with one of them tonight and forget all about this Mrs. Fitzherbert.

(FOX gestures toward a small crowd of young ladies who gaze intently at the PRINCE OF WALES while fanning themselves.)

SHERIDAN

Of course, they only want you for your fortune, your title, and your future crown.

FOX

What difference does that make?

SHERIDAN

None at all; it was intended as encouragement. The less emotionally attached they are to him, the better, I say. He can bed them for a time, present them with meaningless silk and jewels, maybe even a small annuity, and send them on their way once they are both satisfied. Is that not your preference, Prinny?

(They turn and see that the PRINCE OF WALES has already left them.)

FOX (cont.)

(Sarcastic, bitter)

Brilliant work, Richard. You really are the brightest of us.

SHERIDAN

I beg your pardon?

FOX

These elaborate schemes of yours are no good. I ought to have heeded my intuition and confronted him my own way.

SHERIDAN

If you are able to keep him apart from her for five minutes this evening, I should be pleased to observe the impeding interaction.

(FOX huffs and rejoins their party. Across the ballroom, the PRINCE OF WALES spots MRS. FITZHERBERT and LADY LINDSAY entering the room. They speak to each other before he reaches them.)

MRS. FITZHERBERT

Never before have I witnessed such a magnificent spectacle, not even at Versailles.

LADY LINDSAY

Do not let yourself be disillusioned, Maria. Remember the purpose of our coming here.

MRS. FITZHERBERT

I haven't forgotten, thank you. You make it impossible.

(The PRINCE OF WALES reaches them, and they stop talking. He smiles and bows to them, and they curtsey to him.)

PRINCE OF WALES

Lady Lindsay, Mrs. Fitzherbert! I trust I find you both in good spirits this evening.

LADY LINDSAY

We are quite well, thank you, sir.

PRINCE OF WALES

I hope you both will do some dancing before the night is through.

LADY LINDSAY

My ankle pains me, so I had better refrain from it, and Mrs. Fitzherbert is...

PRINCE OF WALES

It seems a minuet is about to commence.

(Holding out his hand to MRS. FITZHERBERT)

Would you honor me with a dance, madam?

MRS. FITZHERBERT

The honor would be mine, Your Royal Highness.

(LADY LINDSAY gives MRS. FITZHERBERT a look of warning, but the latter curtseys and takes the hand of the PRINCE OF WALES anyway. LADY LINDSAY glares at her.)

LADY LINDSAY

(Mouthing the words, holding up a finger)

One dance!

(MRS. FITZHERBERT rolls her eyes and nods, annoyed at her friend's lack of confidence in her. MRS. FITZHERBERT and the PRINCE OF WALES go out to the dance floor, where dozens of other couples are getting ready to dance. Boccherini's 'String Quintet in E Major, Op. 13: Minuet' begins to play, and they dance a minuet.)

PRINCE OF WALES

I hadn't anticipated I would be partnered with so skilled and nimble a dancer this evening.

MRS. FITZHERBERT

Your Royal Highness is too kind. I hardly ever dance.

PRINCE OF WALES

I hope my ball is to your liking.

MRS. FITZHERBERT

It is, indeed, sir. 'Tis the largest and most elaborate one I have ever attended. I am certainly privileged to be in the presence of so many people above my station.

PRINCE OF WALES

Would it be impertinent of me to inquire of your background, madam? Where you were brought up, and such?

MRS. FITZHERBERT

I should be glad to oblige Your Royal Highness. I was born Maria Smythe, the eldest of six, and spent my earliest years in England before being educated at a convent in Paris.

PRINCE OF WALES

(Smiling, speaking perfect French)

Ah, you speak French, madam? I have always dreamed of going to Paris.

MRS. FITZHERBERT

(In French)

I do, sir, but not so well as Your Royal Highness.

(English)

At the age of 17, I was brought back to England and married to my first husband, Mr. Weld. Our marriage did not outlast the year, for he was unfortunately thrown from his horse and killed. Three years hence, I was married to Mr. Fitzherbert, but this too was not meant to be. After his death, I lived abroad in Nice and Paris until my return to London this year.

PRINCE OF WALES

Though I am sorry so many tragedies have befallen you at such a young age, I am glad you've decided to settle in London. You are well-liked here, madam.

(They continue to dance. FOX watches from the side with concern and disgust. LADY LINDSAY, doing the same, spots him and approaches him.)

LADY LINDSAY

Mr. Fox, I presume?

FOX

(With suspicion)

The very same. And to whom...

LADY LINDSAY

Lady Lindsay, a friend of Mrs. Fitzherbert.

FOX

Ah.

LADY LINDSAY

It need not be acknowledged that the Prince of Wales has fallen in love with her, nor that we each feel we have a duty to prevent this relationship from progressing in any direction. Am I correct in presuming you wish also to keep them from attempting matrimony?

(FOX looks at the PRINCE OF WALES and MRS. FITZHERBERT talking and smiling while dancing. With concern and more confidence, he turns back to LADY LINDSAY.)

FOX

(In a lower tone of voice)

Proceed, madam.

LADY LINDSAY

Now, you must understand that while the gentleman's feelings for the lady are evidently strong, he seems also to be under the false impression that she returns the sentiment.

FOX

False? How could that be?

LADY LINDSAY

Mrs. Fitzherbert is a pious woman, Mr. Fox. She has made it plain to me that she regards him only as a polite acquaintance, hardly even a friend. If he requests her hand in marriage, mark you, she will reject him.

FOX

As she should. I could never connive at the Prince marrying a Catholic, lest he ruin himself and my Party.

LADY LINDSAY

And Mrs. Fitzherbert. We are both obliged to keep them apart for their sakes and ours. I don't wish to be accused of condoning an illegal marriage.

FOX

Though I would be the first to prevent Prinny's marriage, I cannot object to a looser, temporary arrangement between him and the lady if that is what they so desire.

LADY LINDSAY

I repeat, sir, Mrs. Fitzherbert would rather die than enter into a licentious relationship with anyone, Prince or no.

FOX

I doubt the most pious nun could resist his charms. Even if he lacked beauty and youth, he would still possess what all ladies desire: power and influence. You see, madam, His Royal Highness, being still a boy, is easily swayed by his mistresses' opinions. I doubt Mrs. Fitzherbert would forfeit an opportunity to determine his every whim, for there is such a lot to gain from it, such a lot indeed.

(The dance ends and everybody claps. Mozart's 'String Quartet in C Major K. 157: I. Allegro' begins to play. The PRINCE OF WALES leads MRS. FITZHERBERT off the dance floor. FOX curtly bows, leaves LADY LINDSAY behind, and approaches the PRINCE OF WALES and MRS. FITZHERBERT.)

FOX

There you are, Prinny!

(Beat)

And Mrs. Fitzherbert. We met here last week, did we not?

PRINCE OF WALES

This is my good friend, Mr. Fox.

MRS. FITZHERBERT

(Curtseys shyly)

Ah, yes. I presumed so.

FOX

(After a short awkward silence)

May I speak to you on the other side of the room, Prinny?

PRINCE OF WALES

(Mildly annoyed)

Is it urgent, sir?

FOX

(Smiling mischieviously)

It is, trust me.

PRINCE OF WALES

(After a moment of hesitation)

Would you excuse me for a moment, madam? I do apologize for leaving you so.

MRS. FITZHERBERT

Certainly, Your Royal Highness. I shall find Lady Lindsay.

(Curtseys)

And I am grateful for the dance, sir.

(The PRINCE OF WALES bows to her, and she walks off. He looks after her longingly until FOX clears his throat.)

FOX

(Gesturing to the room's entryway)

If you please, sir.

(The PRINCE OF WALES sighs with annoyance and follows FOX to the entryway of the ballroom. Meanwhile, LADY LINDSAY finds MRS. FITZHERBERT.)

MRS. FITZHERBERT

Oh, Anne, I wondered where you had gone...

LADY LINDSAY

Maria, heed my warning: I've just spoken with Mr. Fox, and I fear the Prince's intentions with you are quite the opposite of what you imagined. Come, make haste.

MRS. FITZHERBERT

What can you mean? Anne?

(LADY LINDSAY takes MRS. FITZHERBERT by the arm and walks her across the room. Meanwhile, the PRINCE OF WALES and FOX have just reached the entryway.)

PRINCE OF WALES

Now, what matter could be pressing enough to necessitate my leaving Mrs. Fitzherbert so abruptly?

FOX

Don't glare at me so; I have got some news for you, wonderful news. During the dance, I happened to meet with Lady Lindsay, who informed me that Mrs. Fitzherbert is, ver batum, "strongly attached" to you.

PRINCE OF WALES

(Elated)

Oh, Charles, is it true?

FOX

The impression Lady Lindsay gave me was that despite Mrs. Fitzherbert's obligation toward strict religious observance, she might make an exception by taking you as a lover.

(MRS. FITZHERBERT and LADY LINDSAY arrive, unbeknownst to the men. They stand around the corner to as to hear FOX and SHERIDAN speak.)

MRS. FITZHERBERT

(Whispering to LADY LINDSAY)

What is this?

LADY LINDSAY

Listen, dear!

FOX

But mark, Mrs. Fitzherbert is not a woman of infinite patience. You had best propose an affair before next week, lest she tire of waiting and afterwards spurn you.

(MRS. FITZHERBERT hears this and is horrified. She almost confronts him, but LADY LINDSAY prevents this for the purpose of hearing more.)

PRINCE OF WALES

I will. Your judgment has never failed me. On the day of the election, I shall visit her at home, discuss the nature of our relationship, and, once a mutual agreement has been reached, take her to Carlton the very same night.

FOX

That's my boy! I've taught you well, ha ha.

PRINCE OF WALES

That you have, my dearest Charles!

(Beat)

But are you absolutely certain she will forfeit her chastity for me?

FOX

Why should she not? Lent has just begun for the Catholics.

(FOX and the PRINCE OF WALES laugh. MRS. FITZHERBERT, completely horrified and disgusted, hastily walks off with LADY LINDSAY following close behind her.)

MRS. FITZHERBERT

Oh, I am a fool, Anne!

LADY LINDSAY

Thank God I am not.

(Beat)

You realize the implications of this.

MRS. FITZHERBERT

Naturally... To protect my honor, I must not see the Prince of Wales after tonight.

LADY LINDSAY

There's a good girl.

(LADY LINDSAY begins to walk away as MRS. FITZHERBERT gazes back pensively at the PRINCE OF WALES. When he makes eye contact with her, she suddenly turns away. Cut to SCENE VI.)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.7K 101 119
this is the second book of the story entitled ''the heir to the throne'', we will talk about their difficulties, marriage, their children, family lif...
1.2K 100 52
Stacy Bailey is engaged to the prince of England who she hates because of his arrogance. There is nothing she can do cause her mom is in support of i...
348 0 7
Her Royal Highness the Princess of Wales faces difficulties in managing her career and family. In search of a girl who can take care of her children...
57.6K 1.9K 24
Follow the childhood years of Princess Adeline of Wales as she grows up in the troubled household of the Wales' as her parents' marriage crumbles aro...