Best friends with A Player.

By nish97_

Zane Collins and Maya Raynes have been best friends since Childhood. Zane's your typical Jock, Good looking... More

❀ Prologue ❀
**Edited- Chapter One ❀
**Edited- Chapter Two ❀
**Edited- Chapter Three ❀
**Edited- Chapter Four ❀
**Edited- Chapter Five ❀
*Edited- Chapter Six ❀
*Edited- Chapter Eight ❀
*Edited- Chapter Nine ❀
*Edited-Chapter Ten ❀
*Edited-Chapter Eleven ❀
*Edited-Chapter Twelve ❀
*Edited-Chapter Thirteen ❀
*Edited-Chapter Fourteen ❀
*Edited-Chapter Fifteen ❀
*Edited-Chapter Sixteen ❀
*Edited-Chapter Seventeen ❀
Chapter Eighteen ❀
Chapter Nineteen ❀
❀ Epilogue ❀

*Edited- Chapter Seven ❀

73.6K 1.8K 162
By nish97_

The car came to a halt and I could honestly say I’d never been so scared in my life. I squeeze the leather seat one final time before clocking my head towards Zane. “Is this the right house?” I questioned him. Zane raised an eyebrow at me, shooting me a slightly confused look. I don’t understand why until my heart stops pounding so loudly and the deafening music from the snowy mansion across the road fills my ears. I chuckled uneasily before he got out and opened my door for me.

“Shall we?” He grins childishly, beaming from ear to ear while holding out his palm flat like a gentleman.

I feel my muscles relax a little as he loosens the atmosphere with his friendly nature. I smile back at him and can’t help as my smile grows to the length of his. “We shall.” I chuckle, placing my palm into his. Our eyes meet and I could feel the sparks exploding through my body, I shook my head back to reality remembering I was here for Noah not for Zane.

He hoists me gently to my feet and locks the car behind us; we walk hand in hand to the house as the sickening stench of alcohols begins to fill my lungs. My heart carried on pounding with each step closer, there was something about Zane’s tone, the confidence in his voice, the bet that made me feel there was something about Noah I didn’t know, a side of him I hadn’t met yet.

Zane rings the doorbell, pulling his hand away from mine. I quickly grab the opportunity to pull my dress further down my thighs; I’m beginning to regret wearing this dress. “Oi!” Zane laughs. “Leave it!” He smirks, before his fingers begin walking up my leg.

Somebody clears their throat in front of us as Zane and I jump backwards, I look up surprised to find that of all the people at the party Noah’s stood tall, shaking his head in disgust as Zane. “He-,” I began, looking at Zane for help. “He- He, It’s not what you think.” I gush out, far to quickly for it to be believable.

Noah’s shoulders deflate as he smiles at me, He holds out his hand as I take it. I sigh in relief, shutting my eyes briefly. Zane rolls his eyes as I watch from the corner of my eyes. Noah leaves Zane behind and begins to pull me through the cheerleader’s house almost too quickly, as though he’s been here many times.

He slows down as we approach the living room, a large white chandelier sway’s lightly from the ceiling and looking around this seems to be the dance floor. Couples are pressed up against each other, dancing, grinding, kissing and suddenly a knot in my stomach forms is this what Noah wants from me?

He places both his hands on my waist as I reluctantly twine my arms around his neck. “How long have you been here for?” I ask, trying to start up a conversation. I had to yell over the ear splitting music to be heard.

“Half an hour or so.” He yells back, twirling me around. “I was speaking to that new chick; Hope. She seems nice.” He smiles back. It felt like my heart had been torn into millions of tiny pieces, was this him hinting that we couldn’t be together? He had to have seen me frown as he tilted my face up softly with a finger. Our glances lock as he pulled us closer; so close I squeal in shock but can feel the steady thumping of his heart through the thin fabric of our clothes between us. “Fucking hell, you look so hot tonight.” He moaned into the crook of my neck, running his hands down my shoulders, down my arms before gripping my wrists.

I’m not used to getting compliments from anybody, especially from boys like Noah. I was beginning to wonder if he was taking the piss. “Thanks.” I mumbled quietly.

My eyes lock with his sparkling blue eyes, they’re so pure, so innocent how can Zane not see this? How could I have ever doubted him? He leans closer, our noses brushing. His minty breath travels up my neck as I shudder in delight. Our bodies sway together to the rhythm of the music and I find myself captivated by his twinkling eyes.

Zane’s P.O.V

The one thing I knew for sure tonight was that neither Maya nor I were here to enjoy the party. Maya was on a quest to prove to me that Noah was a good guy while I was trying to find out why Hope hated me with such a passion. Her long blonde hair caught my eyes as I ran after her, pushing through the current herd of girls’ I was grinding with. “You’re the only girl in the school that’s rejected me!” I exclaimed, calming my pace as I evened up to her. She jumped at the sound of my voice as I chuckled. “Why’s that babe?” I asked her, following her through the packed house with my beer can in my hand. As I step into the garden I’m hit with a strong summer’s night breeze and a beautiful orange and pink sunset that Hope seems to be tranced by.

“I hate boys like you.” She snapped, she threw her long, slender, tanned arms up in frustration before taking a sip of her drink. She straightened out her clothes, which I could honestly say she looked hot in. The clothes clung to her tiny, slim figure like a second layer of skin and she pulled it of perfectly. She pulled her heels off and perched down at the edge of the pool, dipping her toes in first and then the rest of her legs. I raised an eyebrow but went and sat beside her nether less. I was The Zane Collins of the school; unless she had a valid reason for disliking me so much I would ensure by the end of tonight we were friends at the every least.

“Boys like me?” I asked, my brows merged in confusion. She shuffled away from me as I gave her a dead panned look. How old was she? Why was she acting so immature! God, girls were so fucking mind-boggling.

“The boys that think they’re all hard core, think of themselves as Greek gods.” She started angrily. “Girls are human beings to, you don’t see us acting like you. We have feelings as well, have you ever thought about how much pain you’ve caused your ex girlfriends?” She asked, her voice getting quieter as she spoke. I ran my fingers through my hair awkwardly. I hated to admit it but she was right, that thought had never crossed my mind. I’d been so focused on moving on, I’d never glanced back.

“You’ve been at this school for a single day Hope, you have no right to jump to conclusions about me.” I replied softly. “I’m cocky and a player and a flirt and I sleep around but I’m not a bad guy, I don’t have bad intentions, I don’t hurt girls. I’ve been labeled a jock and I have to live up to the reputation, it’s the way college works.” I explained defensively.

She shook her head in disgust a scowl on her face. “You don’t have to act like such a fucking dog though!” She chuckled bitterly. “You’re best friend, Tyler right? He’s a jock and he’s in a relationship, he doesn’t sleep around does he?” She fired back.

“I’ve been in relationship too, thank you very much.” I argued back.

“I knew you were a dick as soon as I walked into school the first day. I tried speaking to you but you were too busy making out with your girlfriend, the same time that day I tried asking you for directions and you ignored me speaking to your own group of fan girls. On top of that you had the cheek to stride into a lesson as though you owned the school.” She half yelled at me, her face turning a sickening red. “Every girl at this school falls at your feet, I’m not going to be one of them. I don’t understand what it is with you, what makes you think you’re better than the rest of the students at this school, huh?” She asked aggressively.

“Oh are we jumping to conclusions now?” I growled at her. “You walked into school, half way during the day in tiny shorts that exposed your underwear when you bent down and a crop top that barely covered your bra. I could classify you as a slut, but I didn’t did I?” I hissed back at her. If she was going to be a bitch I was going to show her the bad side of me to. Two could play at this game.

“I can’t believe you just said that.” She whispered, tears pooled her eyes but she blinked rapidly to keep them in. “That was shallow, even for you.” She muttered, rolling her lips in. Her words hit me like a gunshot to the chest, I didn’t expect them to hurt as much as they did. I felt my heart soften as she stood up, wiping her eyes quickly with the back of her hands.

“I’m sorry-“ I started; stopping as I realised this was all a façade. She laughed, smiling.

“My god, you’re stupid.” She laughed, sitting back down beside me. “I have to admit, I didn’t think you were the kind to apologise.” She giggled.

I stared at her in disbelief and then questioned myself. I had this warm, gooey, very unmanly feeling in my chest, was I falling for her? No, I couldn’t be. She was a total bitch and not my type but then again I’d never had a girl speak to me like that and I found it insanely attractive.

“You’ve never fallen in love, have you?” She whispered, her voice gentler than I’d ever heard it; so quiet it was barely audible.

I shook my head honestly.

“I can tell.” She replied quietly. “Fall in love and you’ll see the world differently, it opens your eyes, your soul, your heart.” She trailed of, getting lost in her own words. I couldn’t help but smile at her, I’d never heard a girl speak so deeply from inside her heart. There was something about her, this tough girl act couldn’t be the real her, I knew there was something she was kidding; something about her past and it was my job to find out. She was so caught up in what she was saying she hadn’t realised there were tiny pellets of water emerging through the sky.

Without giving it a second thought, I scooped her up in my arms as she shrieked. Running through the oversized garden I placed her back on her feet when we were safely inside the house.

“Give me one chance, one chance to prove to you to that I’m not as bad as you think.” I half pleaded her. I looked around quickly and to my luck everyone was drunken out of his or her minds, if anyone had seen me, Zane Collins begging a girl I’d never hear the end of it.

She studied my face slowly, screwing her face up in concentration before she sighed. “Fine one chance but I have some rules.” She smirked; I looked at her shaking my head. Why was I going to so much effort for this one girl, I’d never done this before and I was starting to feel not like me. “Rule number one.” She started clearly. “You call me Hope and not babe.”

I was still mentally slapping myself; there was something about her I liked, something I hadn’t figured out yet. “Fine, Hi HOPE.” I smirked.

“Number Two, I swear if you use another pick up line on me I’ll cut your balls off.” She threatened, my eyes widened in horror and I found myself taking a step backwards.

She opened her mouth to speak but the whole house quieted. The music stopped playing, the cheering stopped, not a single soul moved. I took her hand into my own, pressing my finger against my lips. Her body trembled in fear as I pulled her carefully out of the room to see what was happening.

“Why would you do that to me?” A voice, all to familiar cried out. “I was falling for you, I thought you were different. I thought you cared about me.” The voice sobbed. My heart raced, never in  a million years would I ever forget that voice; Maya. I pulled Hope along with me as we stood at the bottom of the white marble staircase, looking up Maya was sobbing hysterically, her dress was fully ripped down the back. A crowd had gathered at the bottom of the staircase, all eyes on Maya. Noah emerged a couple of seconds later, he stumbled as he walked, a bottle of vodka grippe din his hand.

“Gimme a chance baby.” He slurred.

Maya shoved him hard, before running down the stairs. She stopped briefly in front of me, her eyes locked with mine and I’d never seen so much hurt in her eyes. I opened my mouth but she’d already gone, her fist in her mouth to stop her sobs from erupting. She carried on running as I pushed past everybody chasing after her. I followed her into the pouring rain, where she was slumped down in the middle of the garden. Water dripped from her hair, her makeup smudged down her face. She wept and bawled and cried, pressing her face into her hands.

“What happened?” I whispered, pulling her close to me. I tore of my jacket, wrapping it around her.

“You always have to be right, don’t you?” She carried on crying.

“What did Noah do to you?” I had to shout over the sound of the rain. I clasped her face in between my palms but she yanked herself away.

“Don’t touch me.” She threatened.

“What did that dickhead do to you?” I asked again. I walked towards her wrapping my arms securely around her. She squirmed and writhed but didn’t manage to free herself, a few seconds later she slid her arms around me. Crying out low painful moans that shattered my heart.

“You were right Zane.” She managed to whisper out through sobs. “He used me.” She whispered, gasping out for air. “ All Noah wanted from me was sex.”

PLEASE PLEASE Drop a comment and vote, the story's up for the watty awards and everything you do is greatly appreciated! xx 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

266 117 26
Never thought that she had to move out with a guy especially when she's not used to living with somebody. Maya's parents had to travel throughout the...
303K 12.2K 66
I chuckled slightly and shook my head. "Does that usually work for you? The cute little remarks and that nice smile." I teased. He gave me a sheepish...
215K 5.1K 55
"What's stopping you from making her yours? You love her. I know you do. So what's stopping you?" I ask in genuine curiosity. Not my usual cocky tone...
404 65 39
Mackenzie is finally living her life smoothly. No drama and no enemies. But her reputation looms loud. Wayne is thrown into a new high school. This i...