Cheating Destiny

By mangosherbert01

When the dust from the Great War settles, the worlds are finally at peace. But what happens if everything is... More

Sora (The Beginning)
Noctis Lucis Caelum
Riku
Leon
Zack Fair
Cloud Strife
Roxas
Reno Sinclair
Genesis Rhapsodos
Chapter One: Vanitas
Prophetic
Taking A Chance
Becoming A Hero
Wanted
Midgar
Third Class
Fire
Breaking Down
What We're Fighting For
The Return Of Boris
Flying Solo
Inside Source
War
The Truth
Fire and Ice
School Days
Naminé
Follow Your Heart
The Door
Reunion
You've Got A Friend In Me
Cave of Wonders
Growing Darkness
Opposites Attract
Reset Button
Banora
Gongaga
A Sense of Comfort (Part I)
A Sense Of Comfort (Part II)
Teamwork
Ven
We All Have A Part To Play
Escalation
Crisis Control
Deep Jungle [Noctis]
Port Royal [Zack]
Halloween Town [Axel]
Traverse Town [Sora]
Wonderland [Cloud]
Hollow Bastion [Genesis]
Agrabah [Leon]
Atlantica [Reno]
Enchanted Dominion [Riku]
Twilight Town [Roxas]
Neverland [Vanitas]
Castle of Dreams [Ven]
Hush-Hush
Some Things Are Better Left Unsaid
A Day In The Life
Fade to Black
13:7
Balance
Haunted
Liberated
Capricious
Back to Basics
A New Normal
Falling
A Deep Breath, And Then...
Run
Facing Fate
Back To Where It All Began
When Two Become One
Fight For Your Life
Retribution
Rest and Rehabilitation
What Lies Ahead
Disney Town
The Final Chapter
So This Is Love
The End
Sora's Ending
Riku's Ending
Cloud's Ending
Leon's Ending
Genesis' Ending
Noctis' Ending
Reno's Ending
Zack's Ending
Axel's Ending
Roxas' Ending
Ven's Ending
Vanitas' Ending

Axel

1K 53 24
By mangosherbert01

[ONE YEAR LATER]

"... So basically, I just told him 'if you want the car washed too, ya gotta do it yourself.'"

"Oh, yeah? And how'd he respond to that one?" you ask with a laugh, gently squeezing Axel's hand that's currently grasping yours.

The redhead glances down at you with raised eyebrows, obviously amused. He's currently telling you all about his exciting day at work. To keep from arousing suspicions (since it's a small world, and well... it's hard not to notice Axel), he had taken a simple job at the local car mechanic's shop. He's surprisingly good with his hands, and had become an invaluable asset at the shop.

Unfortunately, his attitude was still the same... so his customer service was lacking, to say the least.

"Eh, you know. Boss loves me so I just got a slap on the wrist. I think we lost the customer, though."

You roll your eyes, patting him on the knee as you keep your focus on the Struggle match going on in front of you.

"You're lucky you're so charming. Most people would be fired by now," you tell Axel.

"If I weren't so charming, you wouldn't be sitting here either," he points out knowingly. You look up at him just as he adds, "got it memorized?"

With a small smile you reach a hand out, running your fingers down his smooth cheek. Living in Twilight Town with him had opened your eyes to just how complex Nobodies can be. While with you, he was capable of faking certain emotions and genuinely caring for you. But around other people he'd tend to panic, and his insecurities would overpower everything about him. And being here, in a crowd of people, was when he was at his worst.

"Stop. I'm not here just because of your charm," you remind him. "... Although that's part of it. I'm here because I love you. Heart or no heart."

You whisper the last part so that potential eavesdroppers don't hear. A soft, almost relieved, smile grows on Axel's face as he wraps an arm around your shoulders, pulling you close to him as he presses his lips against yours. After a few moments you try to pull back, but his hand resting on the back of your neck holds you in place as he tilts his head and deepens the kiss.

"Get a room, lamers. There's kids around."

You and Axel break apart, glaring over your shoulders at a smirking Seifer sitting behind you in the stands.

"Shut up, idiot," you and Axel growl simultaneously, glancing at each other in surprise at your dual statements.

"Heh, I really am rubbing off on you," Axel comments, shooting you a proud grin.

You give Seifer a smug look before turning your attention back to Axel, resting your head on his shoulder as he holds you close against him. The two of you sit in comfortable silence for a few minutes, with small touches and kisses littered between.

It was so hard to put your relationship into words. While Axel's undoubtedly complex, so easy to go from carefree and happy to self-loathing and almost cruel (though never to you), you also found him refreshing. He didn't experience emotions per se but he kept you on your toes, and fulfilled you more than you thought possible for someone without a heart. You would still wake up in the middle of the night – sometimes screaming, sometimes crying, always sweating – after experiencing vivid and terrifying nightmares. The war haunted you, but he was always there to keep you safe. And you liked to think that you offered him the same protection.

"And the winner is – ROXAS!!"

You and Axel leap to your feet, thrusting your homemade sign in the air. The blond glances over at the two of you, rolling his eyes and smacking himself in the forehead at your antics.

"I love embarrassing him," Axel chuckles as you start to jump up and down, waving the sign around.

"Oh, me too!" you agree, laughing as you glance up at the glitter letters on your poster board.

Go Rucksack!!!!!

"You're never going to let him forget that name, are you?" Axel asks you.

"Never," you reply, giving a flustered Roxas a thumbs-up just before he's swarmed by a group of screaming girls.

It had taken some time, but Roxas had eventually come around to accept yours and Axel's relationship. Which gave you a huge sense of relief, as you weren't sure how you'd survive without either of them. You missed the closeness that you and Roxas used to share, but he was still your little Roxie.

You laugh and drop your arms to your side, watching him try to awkwardly fend off girl after girl after girl. Warm arms wrap around your waist, and you give a shriek as you're lifted in the air and against Axel's chest.

"Now let's go celebrate, mm?" he hums in your ear.

You bite back a smile, glancing down at him as you nod eagerly. Axel chuckles, kissing you on the side of your head as he carries you out of the stands and towards your apartment, leaving just as Roxas is rescued by a laughing Hayner and Xion.

[♥]

You're in the middle of a lush meadow that extends as far as the eye can see. Long, soft blades of grass surround you as you lie on your back, staring up at the bright blue sky. A content smile is plastered on your face, unable to think of a more perfect moment.

Suddenly, the smell of smoke fills your nostrils. With a confused frown you quickly sit up straight, glancing around the meadow. Your eyes narrow when you spot Axel standing at a close distance away. He's hunched over, his back facing you.

"Axel?" you call out as you stand to your feet.

He doesn't respond, just continues to stand there. Your happy mood officially gone, you hurry towards him.

"Axel, what's –"

You trail off in a yelp as you retract your hand from his back. He feels as hot as fire itself. Swiftly, you move in front of him, a hand covering your mouth when you realize his hands are on fire. With shocking speed the fire starts to overtake his body, and emerald eyes glance towards you in horror.

"I-I can't control it," he stammers, his entire lower body covered in white-orange flames.

Smoke starts to fill your lungs, causing you to gasp for air as you fall to you knees. You cough, hands flying to your throat as you feel yourself start to asphyxiate.

"[Name], run!"

Your eyes shoot open as you sit up in bed, panting as you try to catch your breath. Immediately, you start to cough and your eyes burn unpleasantly. You reach over to turn on the lamp on your nightstand, letting out a shriek when the light turns on to reveal your room is quickly filling with smoke.

"H-Hey, Ax..."

You trail off as you smack the bed where he should be lying. Glancing down, your heart skips a beat when you realize you're alone, in an empty bed and an empty room. Without another thought you crawl out of bed and hop onto the ground, running out of your room. You cough, trying to cover your eyes and your nostrils as you hurry down the hallway. Your whole home is filled with smoke, and feels at least 100 degrees.

"Axel!" you call out once you're in the living room, feeling dizzy from exhaustion.

Your eyes land on him standing near the kitchen, in the same hunched over position from your dream. Upon hearing your voice he glances over his shoulder, eyes narrowed in rage.

"[Name], get outside," he yells, pointing towards the front door.

You start to cough, waving the smoke out of your eye line.

"Without you? No way!" you reply, running towards him.

You grab onto Axel's arm, tugging him towards the door. He doesn't budge, his eyes locked ahead of him.

"Why won't you leave?!" you shout in frustration.

"[Name], I love you, but if you don't get out of here right now I'm shoving you through a portal," Axel snaps, glancing down at you. "Get. Out!"

You had never seen him look so frantic, so scared. Pushing aside all confusion at why your house is on fire and why Axel's refusing to leave, you glance forward. Your grip on his arm tightens when you spot a man in black standing on the other side of the room. In his hand is the dark Keyblade you recognize all too vividly from your nightmares.

"A... Axel," you stammer, your voice and body shaking.

"Run, [Name]!" he barks as he pushes you aside, his body engulfing in flames as he charges forward.

Not needing to be told twice, you turn on your heel and charge towards the door. You're almost there, your fingers are within inches of the knob...

"Not so fast."

A hand lands on the back of your head, pushing you against the door. You let out a cry of pain as your head collides with the hard wood, your already dizzy vision only getting worse. Painful coughs leave your mouth as the smoke only grows, starting to choke you. You glance over your shoulder, barely managing to see a mess of dark hair. In the distance Axel's shaking himself off, drenched with water. Thankfully the flames have dulled, only smoke left in its wake.

"It's kinda pathetic, that a cup of water can do so much damage to one person," Vanitas tells you, a quiet chuckle leaving his mouth. He looks back, a smirk on his face as he makes eye contact with Axel. "This is for that lovely burn you gave me last year."

"Don't you da–"

Before he can get the words out, right as he's running towards you and Vanitas, the two of you disappear in a flash of gray smoke. Axel skids to a stop, his hands landing on the door as he tries to steady himself. His eyes are wide, his head shaking as he starts to cough from the smoke.

"[Name]..." he mumbles, glancing around the empty living room.

He had destroyed your home in a failed attempt to protect you, desperate to keep your safe. And now, what? You're...

No, he can't talk about it like that. You're gone, but not forever. That maniac is deranged and dangerous, sure. But if there's anything you've taught him it's to never underestimate you. A bitter laugh escapes his lips as he wipes the soot from his face, standing up straight. He pulls out his phone, hurriedly calling Roxas.

"Cup of water..." he mutters to himself, sighing as Roxas' line rings. "I'm gonna fucking kill you, Vanitas."

"Excuse me?"

"Oh," Axel's eyes widen in surprise as Roxas' voice comes through his phone. "Sorry if I woke you, but we have a situation."

"I can't plunge your toilet again, Axe. It's 3 in the morning.."

"Wha – no, that's not why I'm calling!" Axel snaps, quickly losing his patience. "It's [Name]. Vanitas came back, he... I wasn't fast enough."

Axel swallows an uncomfortable lump in his throat as he opens the door and leaves your house. It's too painful being inside, though for once he's thankful he's a Nobody. With a heart, this would be unbearable. Now he can at least somewhat hold it together.

"I'll be right there," Roxas quickly replies before the line goes dead.

Axel shuts off his screen, glancing up at the night's sky as he takes a deep breath of fresh air.

"Hold on, [Name]. We're coming."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.4K 1.7K 145
Welcome to Destiny Island High! Pick your favourite boy of choice and enjoy your adventure as Hayner's sister. Join the antics of school life and bal...
208K 5.7K 67
After a life threatening plane ride to South Korea you wake up only to find yourself in Hollow Bastion. The famous Hollow Bastion from popular video...
15.4K 562 38
Having left the organization behind the Heartless trio finds themselves facing challenges they never thought they would have to face. Especially not...
87K 2.1K 50
The third book in the Seasons Series begins. Things seem to cool down as Christmas approaches, and what better way to spend the holidays then with yo...