Cheating Destiny

By mangosherbert01

When the dust from the Great War settles, the worlds are finally at peace. But what happens if everything is... More

Sora (The Beginning)
Noctis Lucis Caelum
Riku
Leon
Zack Fair
Axel
Roxas
Reno Sinclair
Genesis Rhapsodos
Chapter One: Vanitas
Prophetic
Taking A Chance
Becoming A Hero
Wanted
Midgar
Third Class
Fire
Breaking Down
What We're Fighting For
The Return Of Boris
Flying Solo
Inside Source
War
The Truth
Fire and Ice
School Days
Naminé
Follow Your Heart
The Door
Reunion
You've Got A Friend In Me
Cave of Wonders
Growing Darkness
Opposites Attract
Reset Button
Banora
Gongaga
A Sense of Comfort (Part I)
A Sense Of Comfort (Part II)
Teamwork
Ven
We All Have A Part To Play
Escalation
Crisis Control
Deep Jungle [Noctis]
Port Royal [Zack]
Halloween Town [Axel]
Traverse Town [Sora]
Wonderland [Cloud]
Hollow Bastion [Genesis]
Agrabah [Leon]
Atlantica [Reno]
Enchanted Dominion [Riku]
Twilight Town [Roxas]
Neverland [Vanitas]
Castle of Dreams [Ven]
Hush-Hush
Some Things Are Better Left Unsaid
A Day In The Life
Fade to Black
13:7
Balance
Haunted
Liberated
Capricious
Back to Basics
A New Normal
Falling
A Deep Breath, And Then...
Run
Facing Fate
Back To Where It All Began
When Two Become One
Fight For Your Life
Retribution
Rest and Rehabilitation
What Lies Ahead
Disney Town
The Final Chapter
So This Is Love
The End
Sora's Ending
Riku's Ending
Cloud's Ending
Leon's Ending
Genesis' Ending
Noctis' Ending
Reno's Ending
Zack's Ending
Axel's Ending
Roxas' Ending
Ven's Ending
Vanitas' Ending

Cloud Strife

1.3K 55 23
By mangosherbert01

[SIX MONTHS LATER]

Living in The World That Never Was had been exciting... for all of one month. The remaining five had been absolutely miserable. Cloud was never around, as he always had to patrol the city and look out for any sign of the Organization, Maleficent... anyone, really.

You were never allowed to leave the castle by yourself, as the world had quickly succumbed to a different kind of darkness – sin. Drugs, alcohol, and violence exploded almost as soon as the war ended. Although Cloud claimed that this is why you couldn't travel around by yourself, you suspected otherwise. He never doubted your capabilities as a fighter, and you knew you could handle yourself if a dangerous man in the shadows attacked you. No, you know you're still a target. A group like the Organization doesn't fall so easily, and with your connection to Nobodies, Vanitas, and SOLDIER... you know you have a bounty on your head.

Roxas and Axel stopped visiting months ago. They claimed it was because being in the castle reminded them of their old lives, but you suspected that they still hadn't forgiven you for choosing Cloud. It was a lonely life, filled with painful memories and unhealed scars from the war.

Which is why you were so happy to be leaving this place and heading to Midgar.

"Are you sure it's okay for you to leave?" you ask Cloud.

He glances over his shoulder at you, previously watching some Third Class soldiers marching out with suitcases and boxes of your belongings. Neither of you owned much stuff, so packing only took an hour or so. However, Sephiroth very nicely arranged for some help to assist you in bringing everything to Midgar.

"What do you mean?" Cloud inquires as you take a step towards him.

You lean your shoulder against the large, glass windows on the wall. The city buzzes in the distance, neon lights flashing and lighting up the dark sky.

"I mean, I thought this world needed to be kept safe. I worry we're making a mistake by leaving."

Cloud smiles sadly, holding up an arm. With a smile you walk towards him, wrapping your arms around his waist and burying your face into his chest. He chuckles, the feeling reverberating through your body as he places an arm around your shoulders.

"Don't second guess this, [Name]. We can't stay here. The darkness..." he trails off, and you lift your head to look up at him. "It affects me too, you know?"

You nod solemnly, locking your eyes on the neon flashes lighting up the overcast sky. You know he's right. He was just as miserable here as you.

"Okay, Cloud," you agree, glancing up at him with a smile. "Midgar it is."

His lips curl up in a vague grin as he rests two fingers under your chin, tilting your head up towards him. Electric blue eyes are practically drinking you in as he stares at your face, unable to look away. His lips slowly lower to yours as he holds you close, almost like he's afraid of breaking you.

"Mr. Strife, we're – oh!"

The two of you break apart to see a Third Class standing in the doorway, an awkward look on his face as he rubs the back of his neck.

"We're, um... we're ready," he announces, avoiding looking at you.

Cloud nods, his hand still cupping your face as he releases a sigh.

"Thank you. We'll be right there."

The SOLDIER nods before backing out of the room and running down the hall. You can't help but release a quiet laugh at Cloud's suddenly annoyed expression.

"To be continued," he tells you, gently grabbing your hand as he leads you out of the room.

You glance back, taking in the sight of the city behind you.

Hopefully you never have to come back to this godforsaken place.

[ANOTHER SIX MONTHS LATER]

"Hey, Cloud!" you call out between slices of the perfectly peeled carrots before you.

You can hear a loud sigh before shuffling footsteps echo through the apartment.

"What?" he grumbles from the doorway.

You glance back at him with narrowed eyes and he immediately relaxes into a smile.

"I mean – yes, what is it?" he corrects with a chuckle, walking towards you.

"Much better," you tell him, grinning as he comes to a stop behind you and rests a hand on your hip.

Life in Midgar was... perfect. The city was a bit dreary, and you were still under heavy protection courtesy of an overprotective Cloud. Not that you minded honestly. Being back around people and friends had raised both of your spirits exponentially. Especially Zack. Though it was slightly awkward at first, especially when he kept apologizing profusely for kissing you so many months ago, things finally grew comfortable. Cloud was thrilled (though he'd never admit it) to have his best friend back. You were thrilled to have Zack around, both as a protector and as a friend. Sometimes you'd catch looks thrown your way, but overall the three of you had relaxed into a happy little trio.

And Cloud... You couldn't put it into words just how much your feelings for him had blossomed. Sometimes you would joke that he cares about your life more than his, and a part of you can't help but wonder if maybe, just maybe, it's not a joke. After leaving The World That Never Was and settling into a routine helping out Zack and Sephiroth train the next generation of SOLDIERs, he was able to focus the majority of his attention on you. Most nights were spent curled up together, locked away from the world and reveling in each other. It never got old.

"What did you need?" Cloud asks, breaking you from your thoughts as he runs his nose down your neck.

You bite back a shiver at the sensation, glancing over your shoulder at the male. He has a sly smile on his face – one you've seen many times.

"Basil. Can you get some from the garden?"

He groans a bit, resting his chin on your shoulder as he huffs out an exasperated breath of air.

"I hate going out there. The thorns always prick me," he complains.

You shoot him a look.

"Seriously? You fought a war, but thorns are too scary for you?" you tease.

He shrugs his shoulder before leaning down to peck your cheek. His arm wraps around your waist, holding you against him.

"I'll finish the carrots if you go for me," he suggests.

You're about to respond when he suddenly turns you around in his arm. His free hand rests on the side of your face, pulling you closer to him as his lips press to yours. Without hesitation you respond to the kiss, your fingers burying themselves in his soft hair as he presses you against the kitchen counter. Just when you're mere seconds away from pulling him upstairs, he breaks the kiss with a small smirk.

"Alright, don't you have some basil to pick?" he asks, gently shooing you away with a knock of his hips on yours.

"Tease," you retort, running a hand down his arm as you head towards the back door and out into the garden.

"Love you too!" he calls out jokingly, and you laugh as you roll your eyes.

The air is surprisingly cold for summer, sending a chill up your spine as you hop down the steps towards the small garden you started growing immediately after moving to Midgar. Cloud had teased you for it at the time, but now you swear he loves it more than you.

Not that he'd ever admit it.

You come to a stop outside the small garden underneath your kitchen window, bending over to strip a few stems of basil from the plant. The smell is intoxicating, causing a smile to form on your face.

"Man... I leave you alone for a year, and you turn into a timid housewife?"

You freeze at the man's words, snapping to a standing position. Your eyes are wide, clutching onto the herbs so tightly that the stems start to wilt and crumble in your fingers. That voice...

"I'm disappointed, [Name]. I missed our little game, but this... it's almost too easy."

Taking more strength than you thought possible, you slowly glance over your shoulder. A small whimper leaves your lips when you spot black hair, yellow eyes, and an uncontrolled grin.

"N-No," you stammer, turning around to fully face him. "Ven killed you... I saw your body."

"Didn't take I guess. Ven's always been a failure."

Your eyes dart up to the window of your apartment, knowing that Cloud is just beyond the window. Do you try to run for him? Or would that just put his life at risk?

"Don't think about it," Vanitas warns, taking a step towards you. "Come with me, and he won't be hurt."

You swallow a rough lump in your throat, feeling tears well up in your eyes.

"And if I don't?" you challenge, doing your best to keep your voice firm.

Vanitas smiles as he tilts his head, studying you.

"I'll kill him. Slowly. He might be your savior, but you know he can't beat me."

The herbs leave your grasp as your arms fall to your side. Never had you felt more defeated. But what can you do? To risk Cloud's life over yours... it's unacceptable.

"You promise he'll be safe?" you press.

Vanitas nods as he holds out a hand to you. Wiping away a tear you step forward, gingerly placing your hand in his.

"You're braver now," Vanitas notes, studying you with that same emotionless expression he always wears.

"I'm in love now," you correct, clenching your eyes shut as your eyes start to burn. "Can I... tell him bye?"

"[Name]?!"

Your heart stops when you hear Cloud's voice faintly calling out your name. Out of the corner of your eyes you gaze over at the kitchen, your breath caught in your throat when you see the disturbed and horrified look on his face as he stares at you through the window.

"C-Cloud," you manage to stammer before you're thrown into the darkness, your body feeling equally heavy and light as the image of Cloud screaming out your name is seared into your memory.

"No!" Cloud yells, his hands pressed against the glass as he stares at where you had just been standing.

His heart feels like it's going to jump out of his chest, like it's just been ripped into a million pieces... He closes his eyes, shaking his head. No, this had to be a joke. There's no way it's real. There's no way you're...

"Cloud? [Name]?"

His eyes snap open and he feels like he's going to throw up when he realizes the garden is still empty.

"Hey, I brought the – whoaaaa, what's going on here?"

Cloud glances over his shoulder, a frantic look on his face as he spots a grinning Zack standing in the doorway with a bottle of wine in his hand. The smile is immediately wiped off his face.

"Where's [Name]?" Zack asks quickly.

Cloud pushes himself off of the window, holding his head in his hands as he clenches his eyes shut.

"Gone," he mumbles into his hand, unable to face his friend. "I failed her, Zack."

He can hear footsteps, and a hand clasps his shoulder. Cloud's eyes slowly open as he glances up at his friend.

"C'mon, what do you mean gone? Like... to the store?"

Cloud's eyes narrow in frustration.

"No, you idiot! GONE! Vanitas – that fucking smug bastard – he took her. All because I didn't want to deal with the thorns in the garden."

Cloud lets out a bitter laugh, his fists clenched as he glares out at where you had just been standing. How could you have just been here, laughing and kissing him, and now... Now...

"I gotta find her, Zack."

"I'll get Sephiroth while you call the others," Zack decides, patting Cloud on the back before heading out of the kitchen. His head pops back in the doorway, his jaw locked as a hardened expression appears on his face. "It's all gonna be okay, bud. You'll get her back. I promise."

Cloud nods in solemn agreement before sliding the ring from his finger and pressing its hidden button. As the ring starts to flash blue he folds his palm around the piece of jewelry, holding his fist up to his mouth as a flash of fury crosses his face.

"I'm coming, [Name]."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.8K 178 41
Hikari has no idea which world is real, she meets so many new people along her journey to discover who she truly is. Through time and darkness, she t...
24.6K 517 18
No longer updating. Story has been discontinued. Read "A Figmental Heart" instead. [following KH1] After having their only home destroyed, (Y/N) and...
30.4K 1.7K 145
Welcome to Destiny Island High! Pick your favourite boy of choice and enjoy your adventure as Hayner's sister. Join the antics of school life and bal...
8K 326 17
In a sleepy town, five young women are murdered. The investigation takes the town's inhabitants to a dark world revolving around four mysterious newc...