Best friends with A Player.

By nish97_

Zane Collins and Maya Raynes have been best friends since Childhood. Zane's your typical Jock, Good looking... More

❀ Prologue ❀
**Edited- Chapter One ❀
**Edited- Chapter Two ❀
**Edited- Chapter Three ❀
**Edited- Chapter Four ❀
*Edited- Chapter Six ❀
*Edited- Chapter Seven ❀
*Edited- Chapter Eight ❀
*Edited- Chapter Nine ❀
*Edited-Chapter Ten ❀
*Edited-Chapter Eleven ❀
*Edited-Chapter Twelve ❀
*Edited-Chapter Thirteen ❀
*Edited-Chapter Fourteen ❀
*Edited-Chapter Fifteen ❀
*Edited-Chapter Sixteen ❀
*Edited-Chapter Seventeen ❀
Chapter Eighteen ❀
Chapter Nineteen ❀
❀ Epilogue ❀

**Edited- Chapter Five ❀

79.1K 1.9K 168
By nish97_

In the watty awards please drop a vote& comment! xxx

Maya's P.O.V

I felt like I was in a fairytale and Noah was my knight in shining armour, he had me hypnotized. Never had I thought I’d meet a guy who was as perfect and down to earth as him. We shared similar hobbies, we had the same plans for university and best of all he was super hot and he actually liked me!

Zane was starting to fade away; he was nothing but a black and white memory now. I couldn’t believe that all these years I’d been wallowing over Zane. It was so foolish, Noah had been right in front of my eyes the whole time. Zane and I would be still be friends, best friends of course, but accepting that we would always remain just that was so much easier now that I knew that Noah liked me, it made it a lot easier for me to move on with my life.

Noah made me feel like I was the most beautiful girl in the world, something Zane never did. I’d always had a little crush on Noah but with his reputation and everything, I hadn’t gathered the courage to speak to him in case he was as much of an ass as his rep led me to believe. But he wasn’t, I was so glad that he proved my assumptions wrong.

Have your emotions for a person ever left you speechless?

Does it feel as though your heart is racing so fast you’re certain your heart will explode out of your chest every time they walk past?

Does their smile make you feel head over heels?

When you look into their eyes do you feel captivated with a glance, do their eyes manage to amaze you even though you see them every day?

The answer to all those questions was yes. That was everything Noah made me feel and it felt so good not to have to keep these emotions bottled up inside of me because he felt the same way.

His eyes locked with mine, they were this intense shade of hazel with a light green ring around them. I felt his arms around my neck and then suddenly our bodies were pulled together, so close the only thing between us was the fabric of our clothes. I could feel the steady Thump! Thump! Of his heart and I chuckled lightly. I wrapped my arm around him too, not caring that we were in public. I bit my lip and he smiled at me.

“You’re so beautiful Maya, how the hell did I get a girl like you?” he whispered in a mesmerized tone.

I felt my cheeks blossom like two pink roses. “Beautiful?” I chuckled. “You’re exaggerating.” I rolled my eyes laughing.

He rolled his eyes back at me and traced his finger down my face. His soft touch lingered, teasing my body, it left me yearning for more. “You’re gorgeous Maya. Absolutely beautiful,” he assured me, his eyes locking on my lips. He leant forward, his head tilted slightly to the right; I tilted my head to the left leaning forward too. I could feel his warm minty breath against my lips and just as our lips brushed together...

“MAYA!” a deep husky voice called. I shrieked pulling away, my hand clasped over my heart as I tried to calm my nervous breathing.

“Oh, Zane,” I mumbled slightly frustrated. So close, Noah and I were so close to having our first kiss and Zane had to come and ruin it. I swore if Zane humiliated or mocked me in front of Noah I’d shred his baby makers into teeny tiny pieces. “What do you want?” I asked, pulling away from Noah and standing up.

“You know what, I’ve gone completely blank,” he replied apologetically. I stood there stunned, my feet planted firmly on the floor. How could he do that to me? “Noah!” Zane exclaimed. “Hey man,” he grinned.

“Hey bro how was your break?” Noah replied pulling him into a man hug, they pulled away fist bumping each other.

I scowled at Zane. “Sorry, did I interrupt something?” he asked playing innocent, his small smirk twitching at the corner of his lip only visible to me.

“No, no. I’ll see you Friday night, Maya?” Noah asked turning back to face me, he took my hands into his and squeezed slightly.

I opened my mouth but Zane beat me to it, “She can’t, she promised she’d come see a movie with Me, Ty and Kenz.”

“Oh yeah, completely forgot,” I mumbled. Just because I’d found a guy I wasn’t going to ditch my true friends, that wasn’t the kind of girl I was.

“Don’t worry about it. I’ll see you on Saturday then?” he asked hopefully. I nodded and he smiled and leant forward to kiss my cheek. He swung his rucksack over his shoulder and I beamed at him, grinning like an idiot. He was mine, all mine!

“She can’t do Saturday either, she’s coming over to mine,” Zane snapped quickly. Noah half grunted and sighed.

“I guess I’ll just see you around then,” Noah mumbled, his annoyance clear in his tone and before I had the chance to apologise or retaliate, he’d walked off to join his friends.

I turned on my heels and stormed off. What the hell was his problem? Why couldn’t he just let me and Noah enjoy some time together out of school? I strode over to Tyler who was shooting me apologetic looks.

“Wait up Maya!” the devils cheery voice followed me. He grabbed my wrist spinning me around. “What’s with the frown?” he asked holding me out at shoulders length. “You look better with a smile,” he chuckled cornily, pushing both sides of my lips up into a smile.

I took a step back away from him. “You did it on purpose!” I hissed angrily. The whole cafeteria seemed to be watching us, we didn’t fight much. Tyler had his head pressed into his palms, he didn’t know what to do, where was Kenzie?

 Zane pulled me down into a seat beside him, putting his hand on top of mine. “You’re making a scene, Maya. What the hell did I do?” he asked innocently, no trace of guilt what-so-ever on his face, my anger only boiled.

“I really like him Zane and you blew any chance I had with him,” I whispered as tears pooled my eyes. “We were so close to kissing, why did you have to interrupt, huh?” I asked my voice cracking.

“I didn’t know. I’ve apologized,” he murmured shrugging his shoulders. Whispers began from the other students as I sat there absolutely humiliated.

“Don’t give me that,” I hissed, waggling a finger in his face threateningly. “How couldn’t you have known?” I darted at him. “Don’t you have eyes?!” I shrieked, all these bottled up emotions were getting the better of me.

He opened his mouth but I cut him off.

“You bail on me all the time and I sit there silently enduring it all. I’ve never complained or told you how it hurts when you ditch me for other random girls,” I choked out. “You make me feel so useless and Noah made me feel like I had some importance. Now, the first chance I have at being in a relationship with someone is destroyed because you ruined it. I hope you’re happy,” I screamed the last part at him.

I didn’t care that there were tears slowly falling down my face or that everyone was watching, I had to get it out. He had to know this. And sadly, this was only the beginning, there was still worse to come.

 “Maya, I-” he started. He seemed truly sorry but I couldn’t take it.

I stood up shakily, picked up my bag and before I could stop myself, I raced out of the cafeteria. I ran through the corridors, past the classrooms and straight into the girl’s toilet. I slammed a vacant cubicle shut and sat down on the toilet seat. I brought my knees up to my chest and hugging them tight, I allowed the tears to fall freely and painfully.

What was I playing at?

Who was I trying to kid?

My heart definitely wasn’t buying it.

Zane was the only one I wanted to be with, I loved him. I truly loved him. I was only seventeen years old. I was really young but I’d only ever had eyes for him. Why was he so oblivious? He was so ignorant to it that it hurt like countless daggers being continuously stabbed into me. I couldn’t tell him what I felt because I knew the feeling wasn’t mutual and hearing him reject me would shatter me even more.

I could hear panting followed by huffing.

What on earth?

“Maya, get your ass out here right now,” Kenzie instructed gasping out. I bit my lips; I couldn’t let her know I was here. “Maya, you goofball, I can see your bag! Open the door before I ninja kick it open,” she threatened giggling slightly. "I look like a tomato thanks to you. I've never run that fast in my life," she carried on gasping slowly; I couldn't help but laugh a little.

I leant forward reluctantly and undid the latch; she flung herself into the cubicle and put her arms around me, pulling me up to my feet. “You made quite an impact; people are talking about it all around school,” she laughed.

“Oh my god, I don’t even know what came over me Kenz!” I exclaimed wiping my eyes. “He must be so humiliated, I said so much to him,” I mumbled as she pulled me into another hug.

“He should have seen it coming, interrupting you and Noah like that,” she smiled, taking my side. I frowned at her, she wasn’t there. “Tyler called me and told me what happed as soon as you ran out,” she explained. This is why loved this girl so much, she was always there for me, she knew exactly what to say to put me in a good mood.

“Zane and I have no chance at being together and when I finally found somebody who actually liked me, Zane messes things up,” I mumbled shaking my head. I walked over to the mirrors ready to faint at my reflection.

“You two are such idiots; it makes me want to whack you both. How long is it going to take for you both to confess your undying love for each other?” she spoke dramatically.

“Zane has undying love for me?” I scoffed. “Ha-Ha, nice one.” I rolled my eyes at her before getting rid of the mascara running down my face.

“Explain why he broke you and Noah up JUST as you were about to kiss!” she smiled smugly in victory. “He was getting jealous; there was longing in his eyes Maya,” she grinned shaking my shoulders.  “Sometimes you’re just as oblivious as him.,” she chuckled handing me her mascara.

“If he felt anything for me don’t you think he would have said something by now?” I asked, coating my lashes with mascara with my mouth ajar. “Don’t you think he would have stopped dating and/or screwing so many other girls?” I asked. I raised an eyebrow at her; it was my turn to smile in victory.

“You have feelings for him and you haven’t spoken up yet have you?” she frowned. “Don’t blame the poor boy entirely,” she replied redoing her hair. She placed her hand on her hip shaking her head at me disapprovingly. “Isn’t that what you’re doing Hun?” she smiled knowingly.

"What?” I exclaimed. “Huh?!” I reiterated my face wrinkling in confusion.

"Noah’s an excuse, he’s just a distraction. Who are you trying to kid Maya? You’re as bad as Zane,” she chuckled, eyeing me suspiciously.

“I’m nothing like him,” I retaliated sharply.

“He uses girls to push himself away from you. You’re using Noah to try pushing yourself away from him,” she explained. “I think you two fool’s are perfect for each other,” she sung happily.

I whacked her arm, a smile twitching at the corner of my lips. She always knew what to say when I wanted to hear it. “Noah’s not an excuse! I do like him, really!” I replied enthusiastically, she shot me back a glance. She wasn’t buying it.

“Mhm, keep telling yourself that sweetie,” she winked.

She linked her arm with mine and began pulling me out of the toilet. I tried to keep my feet firm but she was strong, stronger than me. Keeping my head low, I walked into after-break registration, Zane’s glance caught mine and a knot formed in my stomach on seeing the hurt in his blue eyes. I swallowed the lump in my throat tearing my glance away from him.

“Oh god,” I mumbled.

“What?” Kenz asked quietly.

“My seat’s next to him,” I muttered.

“I guess the two of you will have to grow up and work things out,” she stated sharply, she took her seat next to Tyler and pointed behind her to my seat besides Zane.

I sat down obediently and slowly, keeping my distance from him. It was hard though; the table was made big enough for two seats to be squashed side by side. We sat in silence and I didn’t like it one bit. He turned to face me. “Maya, I’m sor-” his voice was gentle tentative but he was cut off by our form teacher.

“Quieten down unless you all want to be here an hour after school finishes,” she snapped. Trailing behind her a new girl appeared. She was drop dead gorgeous. She had silky long blonde hair tied into a fishtail braid, pure blue eyes and perfect tanned skin. Her attire consisted of tiny denim jeans and a tank top that didn’t even cover her stomach or belly button piercing. I could imagine her merging easily with the cheerleaders; she had the looks, the body and it seemed the attitude.

“This is Hope Worthingham, she’s a new student. Make her feel welcome and treat her as you’d treat any of your friends,” the teacher announced, she pushed Hope slightly in the direction of the spare seat beside Noah, smiling.

Hope strutted down the aisle, one hand swaying and a designer bang on the other. She walked like a model walking down a catwalk and surely enough, the attention of most of the boys in the class was on her, staring wide eyed. And Zane, of course was one of them.

After an awkward fifteen minutes of silence, we were all dismissed to our next lesson. Zane and I hadn’t spoken a word and it seemed as though every girl in school was on his side. I walked down the hallway with Kenzie trying to ignore the dirty glances and looks of disgust from other girls but it wasn’t easy.

“Ignore them,” Kenzie sighed, rubbing my shoulder supportively.

A chorus of wolf whistles came from some of the jocks and turning my head in their direction, I wasn’t surprised to see them checking out Hope as she walked to her next lesson by herself.

“Grow up,” she scoffed at them, shooting them the bird.

"Oooooh, Feisty," somebody teased.

Zane saw his opportunity and went for it; he straightened out his clothes and mussed up his hair before approaching Hope. "Leave her alone you wankers," he shot, trying to make himself seem like the good guy in her eyes. He wrapped his arm around her neck and took her schedule out of her hands. “Here, let me show you where your next lesson is,” he smiled. “Maybe you can thank me tonight,” he winked, smirking at her.

She stood still and slowly looked up at him. “You may be hot,” she whispered, biting teasingly on the corner of her lips and tracing a well-manicured finger down Zane’s face. Then suddenly, in one swift movement, she shoved him backwards and snatched her schedule back. “But keep your dirty little hands to yourself,” she threatened with a warning look.

I turned to Kenzie and Tyler, that couldn’t have happened. Did a girl just reject Zane? They were both watching dumb founded, mouths ajar in disbelief. Hope shot him a sly smile before sashaying down the hall way, her tiny hips swaying from left to right as she walked.

I exhaled slowly, a little take a back with the scene that had just unfolded in front of my eyes. Hope had just rejected Zane. How though? That had never happened before.

All I knew was that this couldn’t be good.

This only meant one thing; Zane would do anything, go to any extremes to make sure he fell for her.

Hope was now his number one target and only priority.

Drop me a vote&comment if you want to see this story in the second round of the watty awards! Thankyou! <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

262K 10.6K 15
Being deaf is not nice,its not normal .Being deaf and in love is just ridiculous, being in love and know that someone won't love a deaf person is jus...
616 42 10
When your best friend and the guy who you thought would be your "the one" betrays you- you would have no more expectations from life. But a few thin...
171K 3.5K 64
"He takes pleasure in seeing me cry. As he walked away he gave one more blow. I think I heard a rib crack." - Eden Holland. 16 years old, a junio...
2.7M 72.3K 40
"You okay there, partner?" he chuckled. Our bodies were centimeters away from touching so I took a step back. A fatal mistake, which caused my back t...