Best friends with A Player.

By nish97_

Zane Collins and Maya Raynes have been best friends since Childhood. Zane's your typical Jock, Good looking... More

❀ Prologue ❀
**Edited- Chapter One ❀
**Edited- Chapter Two ❀
**Edited- Chapter Three ❀
**Edited- Chapter Five ❀
*Edited- Chapter Six ❀
*Edited- Chapter Seven ❀
*Edited- Chapter Eight ❀
*Edited- Chapter Nine ❀
*Edited-Chapter Ten ❀
*Edited-Chapter Eleven ❀
*Edited-Chapter Twelve ❀
*Edited-Chapter Thirteen ❀
*Edited-Chapter Fourteen ❀
*Edited-Chapter Fifteen ❀
*Edited-Chapter Sixteen ❀
*Edited-Chapter Seventeen ❀
Chapter Eighteen ❀
Chapter Nineteen ❀
❀ Epilogue ❀

**Edited- Chapter Four ❀

78.1K 2.1K 333
By nish97_

PLEASE PLEASE drop a comment and Vote if you've enjoyed it! Every vote and comment means something and it could be the difference of getting into the next round of the watty awards! xxxx

Zane's P.O.V

Phwoar! I was hot!

I flexed, beamed at my reflection in the glass trophy cabinet. I really was the whole package deal; good looks, toned body, smart and I wasn’t a bad guy.

As I was entering the biology lab for my first lesson, I grinned goofily to myself. I’d been invited to two house parties, gotten myself three babes’ numbers and had a bit of fun in a disabled toilet, and this all happened only twenty minutes into the year. Yeah, I had a feeling this would be a good year for me.

“I’M BACK AND I’VE ONLY GOTTEN SEXIER!” I declared striding into the lesson doing jazz-hands for effect. I shut my mouth when I saw the teacher shooting me a death glare... if looks could kill. A couple of girls cheered me on but I noticed that Maya wasn’t one of them, she was looking down unhappily as though she was hiding something from me.

“Take your seat Mr. Collins,” the teacher instructed strictly pointing to the spare seat besides Maya. I did a small victory fist pump, what was better than sitting next to my best friend all year and annoying the fuck out of her the first thing in the morning?

I smiled and nodded at her before walking up the aisle to take my seat beside Maya. She looked up and smiled at me quickly but I’d known her all my life, I wasn’t stupid, I could tell when she was upset. “Hey, are you alright?” I asked quietly.

“Yeah,” she mumbled lightly, she didn’t even look at me. Her eyes moved but stayed averted and were looking straight ahead instead.

Girls were so damn confusing! It was like they spoke their own language and us guys were supposed to de-code it. I knew Maya wasn’t alright and she knew that I knew, so why couldn’t she just straight out tell me what was wrong? Fuck, it annoyed me so much that I wanted to pull my hair out sometimes!

“Maya- ” I whispered slowly, letting my breath linger over her ears. I watched her shudder in delight before she shut her eyes briefly. “It’s really hot in here and you’re wearing an awful amount of clothes,” I teased, my fingers playing with the brim of her shirt. I slipped my hand under her shirt tracing intricate patterns against the skin of her back.

Her elbow came in contact with my stomach, hard. I grunted and she grinned victoriously. She was playing hard to get and shit, it was attractive. “I’m wearing jeans and a top; you’re the one who’s layered up,” she replied in a low voice.

I turned facing away from her and smirked deviously to myself. I could so easily twist her words around and embarrass her. Karma was a bitch and my dear Maya was slowly getting her revenge for all the little pranks she’d played on me. I grabbed the sides of my black shirt, tore it over my head and threw it down onto the floor between us. My ripped body was exposed to the whole class while I sat back smiling casually.

“ZANE COLLLINS!” the teacher yelled.

“Yes?” I replied coolly.

Half the class was looking at me now, well, at my body not so much my face but hey ho, attention was attention after all.

“Oh my god,” “His abs, pinch me,” a round of shrieks and squeals to that effect came from the girls in the class.

 “Care to explain why your shirt is off?” the teacher asked. Her hands were on her hips and her face questioning; it struck me suddenly, she wasn’t at all bad looking.

“Maya told me to!” I exclaimed, pointing accusingly at her. Maya looked at me in horror, shaking her head defensively. Her cheeks flushed a light shade of pink and she opened her mouth to defend herself but nothing came out. Instead, she put her head down and started banging it on the table.

“Babe, believe me, banging me is a lot more fun,” I whispered, brushing my lips past her ear while bending to pick up my shirt. Goosebumps appeared on her body like wildfire. Two could play at this game Maya.

* * *

 “Your mum walked in on the two of you?!” I burst into hysterics as Tyler told me how his Mum walked in on him and Kenz when they were almost having sex.

“It’s not funny Zane! I haven’t got the courage to go back over to his,” Kenz complained wrapping her arm around Tyler’s waist.

“Come over to mine then,” I winked. Tyler laughed punching my shoulder. “Where’s my bitch?” I asked them scanning the crowded cafeteria.

“Which one?” Kenz teased.

I laughed shaking my head. “Maya,” I replied. The three of us stepped into the lunch queue and Kenzie glared at me.

“You’re so rude to her!” she retorted, snuggling up to Tyler. It was undoubtedly obvious that Ty and Kenz were made for each other but they were taking things so god damn slow that it pained me. If I were Tyler I would have fucked Kenzie ten times over by now. “Maybe that’s why she’s getting lunch with Noah,” Kenz finished, dropping the bombshell with a smirk.

My body stiffened up slightly. Maya was getting lunch with Noah? But she always got lunch with me, no matter what. Noah wasn’t a bad guy but he was a mate of mine, I thought that he would have at least told me he had a thing for Maya before going after her. For god’s sake, Maya was my best friend! Why hadn’t SHE told me?!

I picked up a fruit salad and placed it slowly down onto my tray, looking this good unfortunately came with the price of eating low calorie, healthy food. No matter how unhealthy Maya thought I was, I did eat healthily most of the time. Then it was as though everything around me had stopped, my eyes were fixed on the sexiest cookie I’d ever seen in my life. It was a bulky, triple chocolate chip circle of goodness; I could practically taste it in my mouth. I grabbed it and stared down at it longingly.

“Isn’t this the hottest cookie you’ve ever seen?” I asked Tyler in disbelief.

He stared at me sceptically. “Are you on crack Zane?”

I shook my head. “I think I’ve fallen in love,” I whispered.

“With a cookie?” Tyler replied with raised eyebrows.

“Awh, look at Maya and Noah,” Kenz cooed, she took her lunch tray and moved over to sit at our usual table in the middle of the dining room.

Noah wasn’t even Maya’s type.

Why did she like him?

He wasn’t a bad guy but he had a reputation as a heart breaker. By the end of the week, he’d shatter her delicate heart into a million tiny pieces that wouldn’t ever be able to be fixed. Maya deserved better, she was sweet and innocent; she was so naïve. She deserved somebody better, a guy who would fulfil her every need, care for her completely; a guy that would love her more than he loved himself.

A wave of defence washed over me and realization hit me like a slap to the face. She was my best friend it was my job to protect her, that’s why I felt this way. “Where are they?” I asked Kenzie through gritted teeth, pushing my tray away from me causing the contents to shake slightly as I stood up. Kenzie pointed uncertainly to the far side of the cafeteria. My eyes followed until I found Maya and Noah sitting away from everyone at a table in the corner of the room. Their eyes were locked and his fingers were tracing patterns on her hand. The only thing between the two of them was a slice of chocolate cake and two forks.

Kenzie yanked me back down into the seat beside her. “Don’t you dare mess this up for her,” she snapped wiggling a finger in my face warningly. My heart felt odd, it was like there was something missing. I didn’t know what the feeling was or what it meant, I hadn’t felt anything so intense before; all I knew was that I suddenly felt alone.

“They aren’t meant for each other!” I practically yelled.

Tyler and Kenz exchanged confused looks and by now most eyes were on me. And none of those were the eyes of the one girl whose attention I wanted.

Maya’s...

My eyes were fixed on her but she didn’t notice. She was too caught up with Noah, chuckling lightly at something he was saying. She bit her lip slowly looking down from his eyes, at his lips. My heart stopped. She fiddled nervously with a strand of her beautiful brown hair, twirling it around her finger before placing it gently behind her ear.

“You like Maya!” Kenzie’s hissed, her voice ringing through my ears. She got up squealing and flung her arms around me. “Finally, she’ll be so happy to know the feelings mutu-”

I laughed, shaking my head, “I don’t like her like that.” Then her words registered in my head. What was she trying to say? What did she mean the ‘feeling was mutual’? “Wait,” I stopped her, holding her out at shoulders length. “Finish your sentence,” I instructed.

Her eyes widened in horror and she clasped her hand over her mouth. “You know, I really need to start working on a project,” she prattled nervously stepping back. I grabbed her wrist but she avoided my grip and ran out of the cafeteria.

“Hey, meet me in the girl’s locker room in ten minutes,” said Lily from beside me, she grabbed my face pulling me into a kiss but I didn’t feel like kissing her. I pushed her away, raking my fingers through my hair.

“Maybe some other time, I have things on my mind,” I replied quietly.

“Everything alright baby?” she asked. I used to love her voice, it was slightly husky and sexy but today it annoyed me, it sounded like chalk being dragged along a blackboard. The only sound I wanted to hear was Maya’s voice.

“Yeah, everything’s fine,” I reassured her.

“Call me later,” she smiled.

“Will do,” I replied trying to cut the conversation short but she didn’t get the hint. Why wouldn’t she leave me alone? If Maya was in her place she would’ve respected my decision and given me the space I needed.

From the corner of my eye I watched Noah get up; he stuck his tongue out at Maya making her laugh. I hadn’t ever realised until now how beautiful Maya was, her long brown hair complimented her dazzling green eyes and her smile, oh my god, her smile lightened my day, it was so radiant, so cheerful and it made me so happy!

Maya shuffled over slightly as Noah took a seat beside her, his arm draped loosely around her neck while she fed him cake and chatted to him. I watched his hand trail down her body, down her waist. It was low, way too low for my liking.

My hands clenched in fists and the muscles in my jaw jumped. I curled my upper lip, containing the words that were truly on my mind, my head swirling with thoughts that only made me assume the worst. I knew what the feeling was, it was jealousy. I hadn’t ever felt it before but now it was slowly soaking into my skin, slowly filling my blood with pure hatred.

Anger and insecurities ran through my mind at the thought of Noah being so close to her. It swirled like a red tide within me making my vision go blurry and my throat close up, I was risking painfully choking if I didn’t do something. My breath became rugged, harsh and shallow and my hands were clenching and unclenching at my sides itching to swing out and make a dent in something... preferably Noah.

I would teach him a lesson.

How dare he touch Maya?

She was mine and only mine!

Please drop a vote & Comment if you've enjoyed it? xxxx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.5K 213 28
*COMPLETED* Shailene Brooks is a senior at Westwood High. Her life is great, two best friends, Derek and Zoe, a boyfriend, Tommy, and her mom. Unfor...
301K 12.2K 66
I chuckled slightly and shook my head. "Does that usually work for you? The cute little remarks and that nice smile." I teased. He gave me a sheepish...
112 24 8
"Don't cry because he left. Smile because he gave you an opportunity to find someone better." ~ Unknown Zane has had a pretty rough past few months...
616 42 10
When your best friend and the guy who you thought would be your "the one" betrays you- you would have no more expectations from life. But a few thin...