Daevas -I- ✔️

By -S-N-O-

Mouths lie, but blood does not. Ari confronts this profound truth as a holy war between humans and demons eru... More

*************
Chapter 1.1: Perchance a Demon
Chapter 1.2: Honey and Mead
Chapter 1.3: Apples
Chapter 2: Name
Chapter 2.1: Left Behind
Chapter 3: Lessons
Chapter 3.1: Ignorance
Chapter 3.2: Taint
Chapter 3.3: Knowledge
Chapter 4: Sacrilegious
Chapter 4.1: Lust
Chapter 4.2: Astray
Chapter 4.3: Trespass
Chapter 4.4: Desecration
Chapter 5: Curiosity
Chapter 5.1: Wonderment
Chapter 5.2: Marks
Chapter 6: Journey
Chapter 6.1: Erroneous
Chapter 6.2: Touch
Chapter 6.3: Blond Beauty
Chapter 6.4: Dark Night
Chapter: 6.5 Distance
Chapter 7: Discovery
Chapter 7.1: Sin
Chapter 7.2: Desire
Chapter 7.3: Loss
Chapter 7.4: Love
Chapter 7.5: Lost
Chapter 8: Rumination
Chapter 8.1: Doubt
Chapter 8.2: Intimacy
Chapter 8.3: Longing
Chapter 9: Enigma
Chapter 9.1: Forgotten
Chapter 9.2: Recollections
Chapter 9.3: Ardor
Chapter 9.4: Envelop
Chapter 9.5: Revelations
Chapter 9.6: Revelations II
Chapter 10: Maelstrom
Chapter 10.1: Missing Pieces
Chapter 10.2: Ultimatum
Chapter 10.3: Darkness
Chapter 10.4: Judgment
Chapter 11: Twilight
Chapter 11.1: Clandestine
Chapter 11.2: Shadows and Whispers
Chapter 11.3: Poison
Chapter 11.4: Deceit
Chapter 11.5: Blood Ties
Chapter 12: Truth Be Told
Chapter 12.1: Two Sides
Chapter 12.2: Stories & Stars
Chapter 12.3: Hypocrite
Chapter 12.4: Liar
Chapter 12.5: Choice
Chapter 13: Tick-tock
Chapter 13.1: Undone
Chapter 13.2: Reason
Chapter 13.3: Friend
Chapter 13.4: Resolve
Chapter 14: The Greats
Chapter 14.1: Unmasked
Chapter 14.2: Labyrinth
Chapter 14.3: Memories
Chapter 14.4: Remembrance
Chapter 15: True Self
Chapter 15.1: Ensnared
Chapter 15.2: Starry Night
Chapter 15.3: Frustration
Chapter 15.4: Promise
Chapter 16: Harun
Chapter 16.1: Temptation
Chapter 16.2: Only if for a Night
Chapter 16.3: Requited
Chapter 16.4: Ties That Bond Us
Chapter 17: Home
Chapter 17.1: Demon Town
Chapter 17.2: Reciprocity
Chapter 17.3: Trick or Treat
Chapter 17.4: Deviant
Chapter 17.5: Beguiling Devil
Chapter 18: Trial by Fire
Chapter 18.1: Fever
Chapter 18.2: Scabs
Chapter 18.3: Scars
*Daevari -II-*

Chapter 2.2: Lies

10.1K 763 136
By -S-N-O-

With the last traces of daylight fading away, Ari stirred awake. He found himself in a luxurious bed, complete with an abundance of pillows and a generously filled feathered blanket. The room darkened, obscuring its features. Dimly lit candles scattered around the room provided a faint glimpse of his surroundings. 

The air carried a soothing scent that eased Ari's senses. His heartbeat slowed, and drowsiness crept in. When he attempted to move his arm, he discovered it was bound to the bedpost by a sturdy, thick rope. Panic surged within him, but it ebbed away as swiftly as it had arrived. His mind seemed shrouded in a dense fog, and thoughts were fleeting, replaced by an overwhelming urge to sleep.

"You are awake at last. I thought you would sleep all through the summer," the voice of the black-haired demon remarked. He could not place where it was, but he knew it was near.

Emerging into the light, Ari found himself instinctively pressing against the bedpost. He watched as it wiped away blood from its bottom lip, its loose shirt outlining faint contours of its chest. A few more steps brought it closer, causing his breath to catch in his throat. Molten honeyed eyes assessed him, sending goosebumps across his skin.

"Do not look so frightened. It is unbecoming of you," the demon said as it licked its lips and lowered a knee onto the bed.

"Where am I?"

"Does it matter where? You are here, and you are alive." It cupped his face, studying him. "One of your wounds became infected. I added a sleeping aid to the water before cleaning it."

"Thank you, but I should not be here. I must––"

"What is it that you are trying so hard to get back to? I have no reason to help you. I have no reason to let you go either."

"...I..." Ari mumbled, "I do not know... " His eyebrows furrowed in thought. Ari's mind was hazy. Everything was distant and confusing, somehow. He did not feel like himself.

He watched as the demon examined his secured arm before turning its attention back to him. "Promise me you will not try and do anything rash. You will not try to run or escape. Once you do, I will untie you and you can walk around."

Ari nodded without hesitation. The room seemed to be affecting him, and he longed for fresh air and some distance from the demon. The scrutinizing gazes made him uncomfortable. Freir's words lingered in his mind: it could not be trusted.

"I promise," Ari agreed.

The moment the words left his lips, the demon followed through on its promise and severed the rope with a keen-edged dagger. Ari watched in awe at the proficiency displayed—a simple cut, yet executed with a finesse that hinted at decades of training. Rising on shaky legs, he attempted to move forward. Just as he teetered, the demon caught him with its arm, providing stability.

"Easy now. Small steps."

"Where am I?" Ari inquired once more, leaning on the wall for support. Upon regaining his balance, he ventured forward without its aid, though a lingering dizziness persisted.

"The same town as before. I could not move you in the state you were in."

As Ari walked through the quiet hall, the demon's footsteps resonated not far behind him. He cast his eyes about, searching for windows or any signs of life, but the inn seemed devoid of activity. The wind outside created a symphony with the rattling shutters, the sound echoing through the hall. He paused, surrounded by the hush, listening to the steady rhythm of both his own breathing and the demon's.

"I would let you go outside. However, it is going to rain soon."

"I do not care," Ari muttered.

"I do not expect you to. Humans have that way about them." Its voice grew closer. "Never caring."

Ari continued down the hall to the stairs going down instead of up. He looked around and saw nothing but empty chairs and tables. There were a few candles lit scattered here and there but nothing more. The floorboards creaked under pressure and grew louder as it followed him.

"Why are you doing this to me?" Ari spun around and asked. "I cannot stay here. I cannot be your food. You seem to have enjoyed someone else's blood much more. You do not need mine." Words rushed from Ari, anxious to leave.

"I am doing nothing to you but presenting you with another opportunity and knowledge. I am giving you the chance to live a life full of knowing instead of ignorance and darkness."

Ari found himself being pulled into the den area by the arm. A cascade of blond hair adorned a chaise. As he turned his head, Ari recognized him as the one who had nearly choked the life out of him—Cyrus. Green eyes locked onto him for a moment before shifting to the demon accompanying him. Cyrus then turned his head back into the chair, exposing two puncture wounds on his neck, with more scattered on his shoulder and collarbone. Despite his disheveled appearance, he made no effort to adjust his shirt.

Ari swallowed dryly.

"Cyrus, leave us for a moment," the demon beckoned, and Cyrus turned to it, offering a nod before leaving without a word.

"Have a seat, Ari."

Ignoring the command, Ari moved toward a large window adorned with heavy red silk curtains embroidered with gold patterned foliage along the sides. It was downpouring, heavy and angry. He could not see anything amidst the rain and fog.

"If you do not, you may ruin my surprise."

Ari's gaze fixed on the demon with morbid curiosity once he released the curtain. Despite instructing Freir to leave him behind, a bitter taste lingered. Now left alone with the demon, the weight of the situation bared onto him. A fire crackled, casting dancing shadows and faint images around the room. The flames illuminated the demon's eyes, infusing them with a real fire's intensity. Its heated glares felt like searing beams penetrating his back. Ari sat himself at a distance, grappling with the uncertainty of what awaited him.

"Basalda is today, Ari. You cannot go out and play your game of demons and swords."

"You condescend me," Ari growled.

"Am I supposed to applaud you?"

Ari closed his eyes and looked away from it.

"Without your friend here, you are quite different."

He looked at it again.

It leaned its head onto the chair's arm, maintaining its gaze on Ari. "Much livelier, less formal." It smiled. "Makes for a delicious treat."

The demon's appetite for blood was voracious. Despite drinking from Cyrus, it remained unsatisfied. Ari gripped the side of his neck, voiding thoughts of the pain it had caused once before.

"My name," Ari gazed at it, or him, he corrected in his mind. "Do you wish to know it?" His lips parted, catching the glint in its eyes. The demon intrigued him, a mix of fascination and caution. His knowledge, his relationships—all tethered to the Khaeo. Besides the order, he knew of no others, especially not intelligent demons that could speak.

"... I would," Ari mumbled after a moment of silence.

"Then share with me, what are your deepest desires left unfulfilled, and do not lie or omit."

"Only demons lie," Ari hissed, prompting laughter from it.

"Little Ari, you will soon come to realize there is not much that separates a demon from a human. Everyone is capable of telling lies." Ari watched as it lifted its head briefly before moving over to him. It sat beside him, maintaining a distance to ease his discomfort.

"I have none," Ari said.

"None?"

"None," Ari repeated.

"Not the soft flesh of a man or woman or wines from the richest orchards? Nothing like wealth or power?" the demon probed.

Ari shook his head no in response. He was taught to think as a collective not as an individual. Those thoughts never once passed his mind. He had no time for it.

"Ari." It pursed its lips. "What do you want from this life?"

"You asked your question. Now answer mine."

"Auovin."

Ari tilted his head at the strangeness of it.

"Go on. Try it on your tongue. Once you say it, you will not ever forget it."

The name slipped off his tongue as if he had said it a thousand times. It felt unfamiliar yet familiar. It confused him. The ages of time could be felt on his tongue, it seemed.

"I shall have you experience every pleasure this life has to offer you, Ari. The price of it is small in comparison."

"I do not care for––"

"You do not care for what you do not know. It is understandable, but I shall have you know of it. Immersed in it. Ravaged by it," its whispery accent bled through its voice again.

Ari blinked slowly, his lips parting in anticipation, heartbeat rampant. He was tempting him with the unknown, making him question things better left unanswered, and wanting things he never wished to have. He was a demon hunter, nothing more and nothing less. The demon made him feel differently, somehow, as if he was not so small and insignificant. He balled his hands into fists at the thought.

"Things are not what they seem. They never are," Auovin whispered as he pressed his lips onto his neck. Ari moved away just as he felt the point of its canines.

It was telling him lies, he knew. Curiosity was a bewitching thing. Ari covered his neck where it almost bit him and simmered. Before he could fully remove himself from the chaise, Auovin grabbed his arm and bit him there instead. He could feel its fangs sinking into his skin. It was softer this time, but the pain still shot through him as if it was the first time. They sank deeper as it pushed him against the plush cushion of the chaise. Ari bit down on the inside of his cheeks until he could taste his own blood. Tears pricked his eyes. He knew no amount of pushing would tear Auovin away from him. It would only incite it to rip more into him. Ari closed his eyes muscling down the pain. His body shook and writhed against him.

Just as Ari thought it would never let go, he felt it move away from him. He watched as his blood dripped down the corners of its mouth. Soon more of it oozed from the punctures in his arm sinking into his shirt. Ari pressed a shaky hand against it. It was a lie, a living lie. A living contradiction of what he wanted and he thought himself to be. It had nothing to offer him but the vulgarness of the world.

"You will want mine," Auovin declared. Ari looked at it, eyes narrowing in disbelief. "Soon enough," it continued, "And when that day comes, your entire understanding of the world will be in shambles." It looked at him as it wiped away his blood from its lips. "But be cautious. Some lies are better than others. Some lies are better than the truth."

"I do not care," Ari said, shaking with anger.

"You do not care?" It laughed. "Not even if it will devour your very soul?"

Ari shook his head, unfazed by its words or gazes. Already, he was falling prey to its fangs and temptations. Left behind and alone, what did it matter anymore?

----------------------------------------------------------
[A/N]

Ari is becoming more resigned to his situation and he had not heeded the warning Freir had given him. Auovin's mysteriousness is slowly beginning to unravel as a result. What do you think will happen?

Leave me your thoughts down below! Thank you for reading, commenting, and voting!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33 5 4
A story of ancient magics, court intrigue, adventure and ... blood. Can you find the light in the depths of your darkness?
500 41 20
The chosen, mortals who have been picked by God to fight in an inevitable war between Heaven and Hell. A demon is sent to earth to find one particula...
49.1K 2.8K 28
Melrose wants peace, he wants the world to have peace, but ever since he was a child, he'd never known peace, his grandfather has wanted him and his...
22.1K 2.7K 160
Ending a war doesn't often mean immediate peace for there are always those who wish for things to return to the way they were. History is written by...