Invisible

By WhenImrightIwrite

Invisible, Leah just wants to stay that way, the girl in the greenhouse who never asks for attention. Life ha... More

Sneak Peak
Chapter 1 Yes You
Chapter 2 I the Island
Chapter 3 Failed Attempts
Chapter 4 Red White Black and Blue
Chapter 5 You Have Got To Be Kidding Me
Chapter 6 Tripping Up
Chapter 7 Piece Of My Heart
Chapter 8 Terror
Chapter 9 In The Way
Chapter 10 No Energy, No Fight
Chapter 11 Following Through On Loss
Chapter 12 Did You See It Coming? And What's Next?
Chapter 13 Painful Memories
Chapter 14 Life In Danger
Chapter 15 The Choice
Chapter 16 Unable To Hide
Chapter 17 One Emotion
Chapter 18 Memories, Old and New
Chapter 19 When Walls Crumble
Chaper 20 Know You Better
Chapter 21 Downward Spiral
Chapter 22 Dealing With It
Chapter 23 Explanation
Chapter 24 Familiar Faces, New Problems
Chapter 25 Taking A Little Side Tour
Chapter 26 The Choice
Chapter 27 Right Choice?
Chapter 28 Doubling Back
Chapter 29 Hard To Say Goodbye
Chapter 30 Baby Blue
Chapter 31 The Truth Comes Out
Chapter 32 Maxwell and Me
Chapter 33 Cherry Juice
Chapter 34 Swimming In Uncharted Waters
Chapter 35 Leaps and Bounds
Chapter 36 Nashville Symphony
Chapter 37 Realizations
Chapter 38 Dinner With The Folks
Chapter 39 The Final Straw
Chapter 41 When The Time Is Right
Chapter 42 Still Going
Chapter 43 A Rough Patch
Chapter 44 Mind Problems
Chapter 45 Broken At Last?
Chapter 46 Quiet Times
Chapter 47 Shockwaves
Chapter 48 Family Time
Chapter 49 Three Little Words
Chapter 50 A Happy Ending?
Chapter 51 Crazy
Chapter 52 Toehold
Chapter 53 Letter To Me
Chapter 54 Fly Away
Chapter 55 Memories
Chapter 56 Final Promise
Chapter 57 Fight For Love
Chapter 58 Dresses and Dresses
Chapter 59 From Endings to Beginnings
Chapter 60 Support
Epilogue: New Beginnings (Authors Note)

Chapter 40 So Close

930 51 15
By WhenImrightIwrite

Hunter sits on the front steps when I pull up and I shiver for him. It's freezing out, he rubs his hands and stands.

"You didn't have to wait out here." I slam the door as he walks up.

"I wanted to. I missed you." He steps close and I swiftly side step him.

"It's cold, let's get inside." I head for the house.

"Leah?"

I glance back at him but don't slow, when I saw him something happened... I can't place it but I feel strange and I'm afraid of my own thoughts right now. Hunter looks good in his black coat and hat, eyes searching my face.

Once inside we both remove our jackets, Hunter is kind enough to help me with mine.

"Tea?" Hunter calls as he walks into the living room and towards the kitchen. I roam free looking around, it's been a while since I was here last.

"Sure."

"Honey?"

"What?" I ask perplexed.

"In your tea," Hunter pokes his head back in the living room and catches my blush, "oh, not you... Sorry... I-I mean..."

"It's fine and yes." I bend down to scratch Cole behind his ears as he walks up to me wagging his tail.

"So what's up?"

I jump a little as Hunter yells from the other room. "Oh. Not much, work is back to normal. Gordi hasn't had a seizure for a week and I'm finally completely moved out of my apartment."

"That's fantastic!" He comes in and falls down on the couch, he looks tired.

"What about with you?"

"Just doing some stuff in the studio."

"Is it stressful?"

He stops rubbing his temples and looks at me. "No, just hard work."

"Oh... Sorry." I hear the whistling sound of a real tea pot and I smile. Hunter starts to get up and I hold up a hand. "I'll get it, coffee too."

"Sugar?"

I grin as I look back at him. "Yes?"

"No... Not you-"

"Hunter I get it."

"On the counter." Now he's blushing.

"Got it."

I balance the two mugs in one hand and the sugar dish in the other as I walk back in. "Thanks." Hunter accepts his mug and I set the sugar down on the coffee table, carefully sitting next to him.

"So... Um... I was hoping we could talk..." I take a swallow of the crisp, hot tea and resist coughing on the heat.

Hunter slides closer and our knees touch as he pats me on the back.

"Thanks."

"I was hoping we could talk about something too." He says softly.

I swallow the mouthful of tea reflexively, "go ahead." I whisper, stuck staring in his eyes.

"I've got a gig at the Blue Bird on the 29th... I was hoping since it's such a small and intimate venue you would be okay to be there." He looks so hopeful I can't stand to let him down.

My nod causes his face to break out in a giant grin. He takes me in with his blue eyes, seeming to study my eyes, my nose... my lips. Instinctively I moisten them.

"Leah?" He whispers my name and his eyes flick back to mine. With each second he moves closer. "Do you want me to stop?"

"N-no." I put my hand on his right arm which has wrapped itself around my waist. I let out a little gasp as his hand slides over my lower back. His face is now inches from mine, the coffee on his breath reminds me it's Hunter, just Hunter.

My eyes close and I can just about feel his lips against my own when Jacob's laughter pops into my mind. In a knee jerk reaction I push away and try to stand.

After I almost topple over onto the table Hunter grabs my arm and steadies me. I pull away and walk swiftly to the door. "I'm so sorry. I'll just go."

"Wait, please... Leah!" He grabs my shoulders and turns me around with force. "I'm sorry."

"No, I ruined it. I can't do anything right." I can't look up so I stare at his chest.

"Did you want me to kiss you or were you going to do it because I wanted it?" He takes his left hand away and places it under my chin, tipping My face up to look at his.

"I wanted to... I wanted it so bad... But... I..."

"Leah, I understand." He brushes his thumb against my jaw and I hold my breath. "Slow and steady."

I am released and he steps back. "Thank you." I sniff, determined to keep tears from coming.

"Listen, you don't have to leave on my account, why don't we watch a movie or I could play you a few songs in my studio..." He's so hopeful I have to smile.

"I'd like that." My hand meets his outstretched hand and he walks me deeper into the house. "Hunter, wait." I stop and my arm is pulled a bit as he continues to move.

"What?"

"What is this? What are we doing here? What are we? What are you expecting out of this? Wh-"

"Leah... Leah!" He has to bark my name to get me to stop.

"We. Are. Dating." He speaks slow and deliberate so I can't misunderstand. "We are testing the waters to see if there is a future in us being together. I'm expecting you to be the same Leah that needed help getting tea off of the top shelf in the grocery store and the same one who schooled me at roller skating."

My response is a small nod.

"Would you like to see my studio now?"

Again I nod, not trusting my voice.

"Alright then, come on." He takes my hand again and leads me into a room I look at as his sanctuary, the way my station at work is a safe haven from all outside thought... Unless Tori is around.

Where Hunter might stumble around when it comes to anything else he has wisdom in his soul when it comes to music. He takes up the guitar and tunes it carefully. "I would show you the mandolin..." He points at the shiny black instrument in the corner. "But we would be here all night waiting for it to sound right."

"Next time." I agree. This earns me a soft look and a smile.

"Next time." He flicks his fingers over the cords and I am drawn into his world.

About 3 songs in he looks up an finds me crying, his playing comes to an immediate stop in the middle of 'Blackbird' by the Beatles and I shake my head. He gets up after laying the guitar aside and pulls me up into a hug. "What's wrong?" He says softly.

"You're amazing, I'm afraid to believe you're real."

"I have my flaws."

My lips turn up as his voice goes down, yes he does. "I know. For one you're way too stubborn for your own good. And you can't stand it when things aren't going your way."

I hear him breathe in as he smiles, "good, if you thought I was perfect we would have a big problem."

"And you're pushy and not always the smartest guy in the bunch and-"

"I think we get the idea."

"And emotional and you get angry too qu-"

"Leah, be quiet or I'm going to make you." His arms tighten around my body and I can feel his muscles tense up under my hands which rest on his back.

"Sorry, I'm just trying to keep your head a reasonable size."

"Thank you. I would return the favor but you don't need to be torn down."

"What do you mean? I'm perfect." I giggle at my own statement.

"There are so many things I could say right now." His voice sounds soft and low.

My right hand falls off his back as I move to wipe away a tear.

"I'm sorry I made to cry."

"It wouldn't be the first time... And it's not just you."

He lets me go enough to look at me with an arched eyebrow.

"I'm not getting into it tonight, I'm just happy you make the time for me. I know I'm not much fun."

"Don't even go there, I have my most exciting and fun moments when I'm with you."

"Then your life must be pretty boring." The teasing tone comes across clearly and on its own accord. Hunter is staring at my lips again and I shift and move out of his embrace. "It's getting really late, I need to get home."

As if on cue my phone starts to ring and I recognize Tiffany's ringtone.

"Yeah, probably a good idea."

This time when Hunter walks me to the door he actually helps me to leave instead of trying to get me to stay.

"Please don't." I stop Hunter with a hand on his arm when he starts putting on his own coat. "I can make it to my car."

He looks at me with an upset emotion spread across his face but doesn't try to argue.

"I'll call you when I get home?" I venture as I twist the handle on the door.

"Alright."

The front light is on so I'm able to park on my cement slab next to the garage without trouble. I am getting used to doing it without even thinking or needing to look.

"Did you have a nice time?!"

I succeeded in sneaking in to the dark entry way and was 1/2 way up the stairs when Tiffany's voice booms from the den. When I walk down the hall and into the room I find Sam watching a football game and Tiffany reading on the couch next to him.

"Yes Mother." I stress the final word.

"Were you with Hunter?"

"Yeah, we went clubbing and got matching tattoos."

"Funny."

"Well you asked!" I roll my eyes at her deadpan tone and she smiles. "Anyway, I'm tired so goodnight." Before she can respond I tell Sam goodnight and get a slight wave as he leans toward the television. As I make my way back up the stairs I can't stop the smile that shows up on my face as I punch Hunter's speed dial and he answers.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.7K 112 20
Ohhh yay!! My first SallyfaceXFem!Reader😊 I hope u all like it!!. This will be a SallyFaceXPregnantFem!Reader...why you ask? Bc I can:3 and if you...
832K 50.7K 115
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
2.9K 81 18
Sasha McKenny was in a fatal car accident that put her in a coma for six months, when she finally awakens she can't remember anything not even her bo...
1.3M 50.5K 55
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...