Invisible

By WhenImrightIwrite

Invisible, Leah just wants to stay that way, the girl in the greenhouse who never asks for attention. Life ha... More

Sneak Peak
Chapter 1 Yes You
Chapter 2 I the Island
Chapter 3 Failed Attempts
Chapter 4 Red White Black and Blue
Chapter 5 You Have Got To Be Kidding Me
Chapter 6 Tripping Up
Chapter 7 Piece Of My Heart
Chapter 8 Terror
Chapter 9 In The Way
Chapter 10 No Energy, No Fight
Chapter 11 Following Through On Loss
Chapter 12 Did You See It Coming? And What's Next?
Chapter 13 Painful Memories
Chapter 14 Life In Danger
Chapter 15 The Choice
Chapter 16 Unable To Hide
Chapter 17 One Emotion
Chapter 18 Memories, Old and New
Chapter 19 When Walls Crumble
Chaper 20 Know You Better
Chapter 21 Downward Spiral
Chapter 22 Dealing With It
Chapter 23 Explanation
Chapter 24 Familiar Faces, New Problems
Chapter 25 Taking A Little Side Tour
Chapter 26 The Choice
Chapter 27 Right Choice?
Chapter 28 Doubling Back
Chapter 29 Hard To Say Goodbye
Chapter 30 Baby Blue
Chapter 31 The Truth Comes Out
Chapter 32 Maxwell and Me
Chapter 34 Swimming In Uncharted Waters
Chapter 35 Leaps and Bounds
Chapter 36 Nashville Symphony
Chapter 37 Realizations
Chapter 38 Dinner With The Folks
Chapter 39 The Final Straw
Chapter 40 So Close
Chapter 41 When The Time Is Right
Chapter 42 Still Going
Chapter 43 A Rough Patch
Chapter 44 Mind Problems
Chapter 45 Broken At Last?
Chapter 46 Quiet Times
Chapter 47 Shockwaves
Chapter 48 Family Time
Chapter 49 Three Little Words
Chapter 50 A Happy Ending?
Chapter 51 Crazy
Chapter 52 Toehold
Chapter 53 Letter To Me
Chapter 54 Fly Away
Chapter 55 Memories
Chapter 56 Final Promise
Chapter 57 Fight For Love
Chapter 58 Dresses and Dresses
Chapter 59 From Endings to Beginnings
Chapter 60 Support
Epilogue: New Beginnings (Authors Note)

Chapter 33 Cherry Juice

1K 54 18
By WhenImrightIwrite

"Come in!" I yell before realizing that there is no way he heard me from across the house and even if he did, I locked the door when I last used it. I brush some hair off of my forehead and compose myself before opening the door, oh no! Cherry juice! My hands are so red and I can't touch the white door, and I touched my face!

I wrap the apron around the knob and twist the lock.

"Hey!" Hunter comes in bearing a cloth grocery sack. He starts at me like he's going to hug me and I hold up my hands. "Oh... You got a little something... Here."

I stand there in horror as Hunter reaches his left hand up and brushes something off of my forehead... Or tries to.

"What, did you murder someone? I'm going to tell you right now, that is not on my diet plan."

"No! It's cherry juice!" I am pulled out of the shock in time to respond. I let out a small giggle before I can stop myself.

"Oh, that explains it." Then he pretends like he's going to lick his fingers off.

"Don't, ew!" Without thinking I bat his hand away and smear the dark red color on his arm and long sleeve, grey tee.

"Well that was smooth." He looks down at himself.

"Hunter I'm so sorry!" I rush to the kitchen to find a wet rag while I wash my hands. When I turn I can see it's already too late. He followed me into the kitchen, I try to ignore the 3 unbuttoned slots that fold into a nicely toned chest as I dampen the spots my fingers touched.

"Will they come out?" He snaps me back to attention and I look up into his face.

"I've got to tell you, it doesn't look good... Maybe if you washed it right now, and the spots need to stay wet."

"Gotta washing machine around here?" He asks as he lifts the edge of his shirt.

"Yeah."

"Do you mind?" He swiftly brings his arms up and pulls the fabric over his head. I'm left trying not to look at his undressed upper body. I've never been comfortable with my body and I feel the same way about everyone else's bodies as well.

"No." I squeak out and take the shirt, walking into the laundry room while my face burns red. I stand at the washer for a minute after I treat the shirt and start the cycle. 'What is your problem?' My mind echoes itself over and over again.

I feel like crying and I'm not sure why. I can't catch my breathe and my heart is beating hard. Looking around I see a dark blue tee of Sam's hanging to dry, it's one of those shiny material ones that has to air dry. I whip it up and find it dry.

"Here." I toss the shirt to Hunter as I reenter, only knowing he's caught it from the sound of his hand closing around fabric. "Sorry if it's a little big."

"No, thanks."

I open the oven to check the temperature of the chicken and am glad the heat seems to make the red seem normal that still lights up my face.

"What are we having?" His voice is close and when I look behind me I see he's standing right over my shoulder, peeking in behind me. Our faces are close enough that I can feel his breath on my cheek and I hastily shut the door and step away.

"Uh... Ch-chicken... Cornbread and green beans."

"Wow, sounds good, cake for dessert then?" He strides over to the counter and plucks a cherry from among the line marching around on top of my cake.

"Hey!" I can't stop myself, I rush over in a panic and try to repair the damage. His hand grabs my wrist. "Let it go, a little crazy isn't going to kill you."

My arm is yanked away as I again step away and look at him. "You know I can't."

"Well then what am I doing here?"

"Excuse me?" I have no idea what he means.

"Well, I'm nuts, but you keep me around." He's trying not to smile but his eyes flash with humor.

"Please don't joke." I'm getting irritated but I can't quite put my finger on why.

"I'm sorry." He backs off, his shoulders slump and he shoves his hands in the side pockets of his swimming trunks as he looks at the ground. The shirt is several sizes too big for him and he is just swimming in it... Swimming!

I look down at myself and back up. I never changed into my swimsuit and now I feel extremely awkward about the whole thing, in what desperate world did I enter this afternoon that I thought this was a good idea.

I suck in a breath through my teeth and try to give him an apologetic smile. "Sorry, I've just been a bit emotional lately... I thought I was doing better but I keep relapsing." My attention turns to the cake, I grab the knife and half another cherry.

The pit falls into the waiting garbage can with a heavy thump that sounds like my heart falling flat with anguish. I fix the mistake and pop the other half in my mouth, trying no to look at anything but my handiwork.

"Want to talk about it?" His words ring out through the giant house and I find I'm too tired to put up a fight.

"Sometimes I feel like everyone looks at me and sees a worn out joke. I'm just too different..." I trail off, hanging my head and trying to hold back the sadness that threatens to escape through my eyes.

In the corner of my vision I see Hunter stretch around and grab something. "Here." He holds out a tissue.

I shake him off. "Really I'm fine."

He opens his mouth.

"How do you do that?

"What?"

I think over my words carefully before I reply. "Make me tell you things... Knowing when I'm not being truthful with you?" My hands still, while I've been talking I've cleaned up the island and started cutting the beans into a pan.

"I don't know. I value honesty, I've always been honest with you. Maybe you just feel the need to return the favor."

His calm words reach me and I bring the scissors together too close to my index finger. I wince as a thin line of blood appears and starts to pool into a drop. "Shoot!" I whisper harshly.

"You okay?" Hunter steps forward and grabs a paper towel, reaching over to rinse it with water in the sink. He holds it out to me once he's rung it out and I accept it gratefully. "Listen, why don't you let me finish this and you can go get that cleaned up."

"Thanks. Just wash the scissors and don't cu-"

"Don't worry, I got it." Hunter waves me off and I retreat, carful to avoid getting blood on the yellow apron as I slip it off.

It takes a minute to clean and bandage the sliced skin and when I walk into the hall I look to my doorway. I need to change, despite the apron I still managed to get cherry juice on the shoulder of my pink shirt somehow and I'm sweating like crazy, that needs to stop.

I brought all of my swimsuits along for my house sitting duration, not sure why, I never figured on having anyone to see me besides Blake and Gordi. I settle on my light pastel, floral print tank and the black boy shorts, completely modest, completely covered. I slip a light green hoodie on that falls to my mid thigh and stuff my hands in my pockets as I race downstairs. The ponytail holder I slipped onto my wrist cuts into the skin slightly and is distracting.

For a second I stop and stare as I round the corner and see Hunter standing there, moving a little as he sings along with the radio, which he must have figured out how to turn on, he's making quick work of the green beans and his navy blue trunks with white lines down the side away as he gets into the beat. What did I ever do to deserve a friend like him?

"Thanks for the help." I reveal myself as I take the pan from him and run some water on the bottom of the pan.

"Don't mention it. Thanks for having me over, I... I wanted to apologize for earlier."

"What do you mean?" I avoid his eyes as I turn the gas stove on and watch the flames encircle the round container. Slowly a mist starts to rise and I close my eyes as my face takes in the heat.

"The whole shirt thing, I didn't think... You invited me over to swim and I just figured you wouldn't mind."

"Oh, no problem. I hope the stains come out. It was my fault anyway."

"No, the other thing."

I look over at him and see his face coloring, my thoughts turn grateful that the steam and stove cover my blush.

When I don't answer he continues, "I'm just comfortable with you. I sometimes forget you might not be at that same familiarity as me."

"It was a bit... surprising."

"I'm sorry."

"Hunter, no more saying sorry. You did nothing wrong." The timer goes off on the oven and I check the temperature of the bird. "Done." Mind helping me just a bit more?"

He grins. "With how amazing that smells I think I have to. If I have to wait too much longer I'm going to die."

"You and your dramatic antics." I roll my eyes at him as i hand him the stack of plates that balance the napkins and silverware. "Dining room is on the left."

"As you wish." He bows low and leaves the kitchen. I finally let myself giggle as I set to work opening the bottle of wine.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 19K 44
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
844K 51.7K 116
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
3.3M 110K 62
Highest rank on Wattpad: #7 in Quaterbacks #1 in goodgirl #4 in highschoolromance #9 in romance #1 in romcom Everly Gray, a seventeen years old te...