Imperfect Mate

By NightWolf718

Attending CottonWood High, also known as CottonWood Living Quarters For Rouges, life is difficult for Estelle... More

Prologue- Before CottonWood
Chapter 1- The Hunt
Chapter 2- The Cabin
Chapter 3- Awakening
Chapter 4- The TakeDown
Chapter 5- Hidden Within
Chapter 6- Just Another Ceremony
Chapter 7- The Night
Chapter 9- The Party
Chapter 10- Secrets Revealed
Chapter 11- Feelings Revealed
Chapter 12- The Monster Inside
Chapter 13- Missing You
Chapter 14- His Hidden Thoughts
Chapter 15- His Hidden Soft Spot
Chapter 16- The Camp
Chapter 17- Escape Attempt || Part One
Chapter 17- Escape Attempt || Part Two
Chapter 18- Confessions
Chapter 19- BreakUps
Chaper 20- Is this even Love?
Chapter 21- Mistakes Uncovered
Chapter 22- The Unexpected
Chapter 23- A White Dress and Tux ||Part One
Chapter 23- A White Dress and Tux ||Part Two
Chapter 24- The Truth
Chapter 25- You're Mine
Chapter 26- Getaway
Chapter 27- Endless Footfalls
Chapter 28- Freedom
Chapter 29- A New Life (Ending)
<>Epilogue<>

Chapter 8- Tongue Tied

2.7K 139 21
By NightWolf718

Chapter 8- Tongue Tied
-------------------------------

'Just to inform you, Estelle isn't and never can be your beloved soulmate, so don't even think about getting near her again or anytime soon'...

Rangel's words came to my memory as I watched Leon push his body against the gorgeous blonde.

'A man has to do what a man has to do'...-

"Estelle," Ozzy softly speaks, wrapping his arms around my body to lift me out of the mud and set me on my wobbly feet.

Not being able to control myself, I throw my body to him, crying against him. He wraps his arms around me consolingly, squeezing me tight to him.

"Oliver!" I hear Thea's voice. "What the hell?"

Ozzy abruptly drops me to the ground then, mud plastering my cheeks and forehead.

"Thea, where in the world have you been?" Ozzy lowly questions her, avoiding her bewilderment.

"As if that matters," she angrily replies, almost swatting him. "Hitting on my friends now?"

Feeling absolutely guilty for putting Ozzy in such a position, I gather myself to my unstable feet before spitting out the mud that clumped in my mouth.

"Thea, he's just being supportive," I choke out, tears uncontrollably washing away my dirty cheeks. I was surprised that I could even form words with my tight throat.

Thea, completely forgetting what she was mad about, rushes over to me and wrapping her arms around my shoulders once she noticed my 'cave woman' appearance.

"What's going on with you?" she wonders.

Shrugging off her arm, I slightly turn to the sight of Leon, gesturing outward to him with an extended arm, my throat even tighter and unable to produce any words...

He continued to suck face with that blonde, their kissing becoming more and more sensual.

Thea, knowing exactly what I meant, sympathetically gazes at me.

"Ouch," she murmurs, referring to the scene.

"I loved him, Thea," I cry.

"I know, I know," she pats my back. "You're tougher then you realize, Estelle. You'll get over this, I promise you that."

I nod, tears still rolling down my cheeks...

"Thanks for looking after her," she says to Ozzy, squeezing him tightly with her arms, pecking a kiss to his lips.

"Anything," he replies, reassuringly holding her hand. "I love you."

She smiles brightly.
"Love you too, my little Oz."

Thea then presses his hand to her cheek to nuzzle it before he left, walking away to a group of guys in the distance in which they all greeted him with a cheerful yell.

Staring at her speechless, I snuffle and rub my tears away.

Thea was never good around tears...

"He's probably not worth it anyways," I lie, trying to get her comfortable.

Looking out to Leon again, he places the girl on her feet, smiling his diamond grin before turning this way, her hand in his-

Sobs unleashed from my throat again, I lean towards Thea, her arms awkwardly supporting me again.

Dang, I owe her for this... I'm totally putting her out of her comfort zone.

Leon's expression turned from gleeful to glum within one second. He watches as I sob, the girl tugging on his hand as he clenched his jaw as if he were restraining himself from something...

"Es, we should go..." Thea trails off, leading me away from the scene.

My sadness turning to anger, I groan lowly, kicking the gravel of my cabin's pathway, throwing myself off Thea.

"I'll be fine, just give me time to get my thoughts straight," I tell her, stomping up my wooden porch steps.

"You positive?" She asks, seeming worried.

"Trust me, I know what I need," I tell her.

With that, I open the door, quietly closing it after.

Scanning the area to see nobody around, I sigh of relief. The last thing I needed was to deal with any of those numbskulls...

Trudging up the stairs in my dirty dress, I sneakily make my way across the hall towards my room, hearing Rangel talking to Jackle all a sudden.

"Dude, Estelle is never going to accept me," I hear him complain, his voice muffled.

Interested, I tip-toe to Rangel's room, peeking in to see Jackle sitting next to Rangel on his bed, Rangel had his head in his hands.

A flashback to last night made its way to my mind, making me shutter as I remembered how well he listened to me about how I wanted it since that was 'my first time'.

"The last thing I want is to have a miserable life," he continues to rant, raking a hand through his messy hair as he was changed into a casual white tee and black jeans. "She would never love me after what I've done now."

Surprised by his words, I pull back from the doorframe, inching a bit down the hall to not be sensed.

"Rang, she'll come around," Jackle reassures him, hearing him pat Rangel's back supportively.

"No way," he says back. "I'd run from me as well if I were her."

"Stop talking nonsense," Jackle demands.

"It's the truth, not nonsense, Jackle," Rangel points out. "You wouldn't understand anyways. Why am I even talking to you?"

"Because I actually do understand what it's like to love a girl who doesn't love you back," Jackle explains.

"Your secret love for Stacey Daniels doesn't concern me any," Rangel huffs.

Knees wanting to give out, I heave in a breath and continue to listen... No way could I ever tell Stace about this.

"Dude, we haven't spoken like this in forever, it should totally concern you," Jackle replies.

"If you weren't such a wimp and just talk to her, there actually would be something to talk about as well as concern me," Rangel says matter of factly.

"Stop being such a smartass and at least pretend to care," Jackle desperately insists.

"Pretend to care about what? Nothingness?" Rangel questions, completely annoyed.

"I'll have her one day, until then, this talk is over," Jackle spitefully remarks, striding this way, his mood irritated.

Quickly, I dash to my room, closing the door and locking the doorknob.

Rangel can't even have one decent conversation without someone arguing with him?

I stride over to my closet, stripping off my dress to put on some ripped skinny jeans and a gray V-neck short sleeve shirt.

Gazing over at my shattered window which is currently under construction, I walk over to the exposed drywall and insulation.

The view out my new window, I surprisingly saw Stacey in one of her many white sun dresses.

She appeared to be talking to a short redhead girl I didn't know.She always seemed to smile when Stacey spoke, her obviously being very relatable with everything being said. They both looked the same size, their hair and skin tones just off from the other.

Glad to see Stace making new friends, I all a sudden see Jackle... He slowly was walking towards her, his hands stuffed in his jean pockets.

Shit...

Bolting from my bedroom, sprinting out the door and seeing Jackle getting real close, I grab his wrist, yanking him back and away.

"What's your deal, Estelle?" He questions, shaking my grip off, which only earned me to grasp harder, him growling.

Knowing I couldn't make it obvious that I was eavesdropping on his and Rangel's conversation earlier, I come up with something...

"I know who you could take out to the after party dance tonight," I say, trying to talk him out of Stacey.

Jackle raises an eyebrow. "Since when do you ever care about helping me with anything? Especially with girls?"

"Since when do we need to be enemies?" I question, seeing Stacey still interested in her conversation.

"What are you getting at here?" He wonders.

"You should take the bleach blonde over there," I persuade, referring to Leon's blonde girl.

The girl was alone, gazing into the screen of her phone as she sat at an empty picnic table.

Jackle cracks a smile after I chuckle, shaking his head.

"Thanks but no thanks," he tells me, ripping his arm from my grip officially. "Get out of my way, freak show."

Wanting to panic, I hold in my fury, balling up my fists and stomping my foot down.

Wow, that's a way to attempt to save your friend in the most stupidest way and fail...

"Hey, sorry to interrupt you two," I hear Jackle say. "Have a moment Stacey?"

The redheaded girl clasped Stacey's shoulder before leaving, whispering something in her ear, walking off.

"Okay, so I've been thinking...." Jackle trails off, cheeks flushing already.

Damn, he really does like her.

"Thinking what?" Stace asks, completely confused with her brow pinched together.

Inhaling, I wait for the worst sentence I've failed to stop him from saying...

"You interested in me at all?" He asks hopeful.

The question made Stacey look down at her feet then back up into his eyes, taking a few steps backward, which she does when feeling small.

"Why you asking me such a question?" She replies in question.

"Because, I wanted to take you to the dance tonight. The After Party Dance Celebration," Jackle explains, folding his arms across his chest.

"You want to take me to the dance?" She questions. "That's a good one, you've got me beat. There's no way you're serious about this."

Jackle sternly looks down at her, stepping close. "No, I'm serious."

Stacey laughs,"Nobody ever cares to take me to such things, why should you?"

Jackle intently gazes into her yellow eyes.

"Because I like you, Stacey Danials," he deeply says. "A lot."

Realizing he was serious, Stacey bites her lip nervously, twisting her small foot around in the dirt.

"Nobody has ever liked me before..." Stacey trails off.

Jackle gently and hesitantly grabs her chin to cup her face after bending his knees.

"Good, you'll be all mine," he breaths, leaning his face closer.

Blushing, Stacey stands still, absolutely shocked and clueless on what to say...

"I'll be at your cabin at seven o'clock then?" He suggests.

Stacey just nods, squeezing her eyes shut.

Jackle looks deeply into her eyes just as she opens them and looks up into his yellow eyes...

"Look, I understand if you-" he starts.

Stacey all a sudden reaches up and pulls his face down to hers as she stood on her tippy-toes.

"Of course I'd want to go with you," she tells Jackle, taking his lips after which made me gasp in shock.

What the hell is she doing?
Does she actually like him?

He seemed surprised at first, eyes widening before he smiles against her lips, closing his eyes and wrapping his arms around her waist for a whole five seconds before pulling away.

Jackle opened his mouth to say something, but Stacey put a finger to his lips, still standing on her toes.

"Shh, my cabin, seven o'clock sharp," she giggles.

With that, she walks away, making her way to her cabin to probably inform her roomies....

Planning on meeting her later, I run over to stunned Jackle, violently shaking his shoulder.

He gives me a dirty look, back handing my cheek which probably created an angry shade of red in which I ignore.

"Hurt Stacey once and I'll have your head," I seethe. "She's a fragile nice girl that doesn't deserve your sorry ass."

Jackle growls, snatching my arm and pulling me off the ground slightly.

"I'd like to see you try," he laughs, my arm feeling mangled as he set me back on my feet.

Always having to hurt me..

"You'd be amazed," I remark, striding away...

*•*•*•*•*•*•*

"You ready for this?" Stacey questions me, doing my hair as I sat in a low stool so she could reach my head easier.

"I should be the one asking you that, Stace," I huff.

"What are you talking about?" She pretends to not know what I'm referring to.

"I hope he's nicer to you then he ever acts to me," I sigh, Stacey all a sudden tugging on my hair.

"Yikes, sorry!" She exclaims as I groan in protest, probably surprised I know about her plans tonight.

Before I could elaborate anymore on the topic, Thea comes prancing in the room, her green flowing dress bouncing around with her quick, happy feet.

"Why so energetic?" I ask her, my scalp  sore from Stacey pulling it up into a tight braided bun.

"I get to spend this night with the guy I actually love," she squeals, her relief of not getting chosen quite obvious.
Bitch..

"Yeah, whatever," I reply, Stacey finally dismissing me from the stool.

"Where is Ozzy anyway?" I ask,"normally he's always with you."

Thea gives me a look.
"Not always," she attempts to redeem herself. "Why do you even care? He's not your boyfriend."

Internally disgusted by her attitude, I just smile at her, shrugging my shoulders.
"He's a friend, just thought we'd all leave together."

Thea lifts an eyebrow-

"You two need to just chill," Stacey tells us,"you guys are alway brewing up trouble." she steps between us, but that doesn't stop Thea once she's one a roll...

"You're just jealous that I have a guy so special and I don't have to be forced to love a dickhead and see a loved one loved by another," she says, sassily placing a hand on her hip.

Rage consuming me, I leap for her, crying out in anger.

She had officially crossed the line...

Just as I was about to tackle her, Stacey somehow grabs my arm and is able to yank me away with a huff.

"Quit it, right now!" She screams, mostly looking at me.

My temper was not always greatly controlled, causing me to go hybrid on people all the time... Even my best friend.
Sympathy coursing through me, I ignore it, knowing it was either I own up to my dominance or I get pushed around later as I show weakness.

"You shouldn't mention those things, Thea," I say,"I have a hard time just thinking of them myself."

"Doesn't mean you try to slash my arm off," she says defensively.

"Just wait until you get your ceremony and loose Ozzy," I tell her,"you'll regret ever doing this to me."

"Fair point," she agrees, walking over to me, her being way taller especially with heels, her frame looming over me,"bring it, bloodsucker."

With that, she left, her heels clicking out the door as her hips swayed in her step.

"What's up her ass?" I question, breaking the silence between Stacey and I.

"She just wishes a whole party would be dedicated to her too," Stace replies, always figuring out a way to cheer me up with her words. 

Blowing out a breath, I step in front of her mirror, gazing at my skintight pale pink dress that stopped at the mid-thigh. The back had a huge V which exposed my tannish skin as a bow was embroidered in the bust. 
And of course sequences and sparkles styled the fabric, shinning in the lights.

Why the same style just different color?
These people want me to look like a hooker every time?
At this rate, I should just add some fishnet leggings, black heels and some black lipstick...

"Have you guys seen Thea?" Ozzy all a sudden walks in the room, his head and body twirling in circles to find her,"she said she'd be here."

"Guess her mouth says one thing and her legs do another," I point out,"she's not here."

"What a shame, guess I'll find her," He says, stepping in the room to hug me, his arms squeezing me so tight that he lifts me off the floor. "Good luck, Es."

I smile, looking up into his eyes as he sets me back on the floor.
"Thanks, I'm gonna need all the luck I can get."

"Wish I could stay longer, but I gotta fly if I want to be able to find Thea in that crowd," Ozzy tells us,"see you two beauties later." He winks, grinning and waving at Stacey before jogging out the door, on a mission to find Thea.

"Ozzy doesn't deserve someone like Thea," I say right after Ozzy leaves from earshot.

"Stop acting like that, of course Thea is perfect for him," Stacey replies,"you two need to quit hating on each other or I'm gonna start telling what trash you guys say about each other to one another."

"You wouldn't dare do that, that'll only cause more trouble," I remark.

"Exactly, stop talking shit," Stacey orders me,"no more acting like a ventilator around me."

Rolling my eyes, I grab her arm, guiding her out the house to only run smack into a solid figure in the doorway.
Seeing that 'solid figure' as Jackle, I release Stacey, stepping back as he gave me a stink eye as any greeting I'll ever get from him.

He had a bouquet of yellow flowers in which he held out to her.

Given yet another cold glare, Jackle takes Stacey's hand and guides her off the stairs after she takes the bouquet, sniffing them.

"See you around, Essie," she says back to me, smiling, knowing she had some explaining to do even though I heard the whole conversation secretly...

"You look absolutely ravishing," he says to Stacey, looking down into her yellow eyes.

"You too- I mean you look handsome," Stacey blushes as she corrects herself.

Jackle smiles, the top of Stacey's head at his lower chest area, appearing super short and cute.
He was wearing a black suit, a gray tie, and black dress shoes as he combed his light brown hair up into a wave.

Why couldn't she of just admitted to wanting to go with Jackle?
Does she think I'll hate her and disown her..?

Sighing, I watch them walk away towards the party, my own legs carrying me off the steps-

"Estelle, you thinking about leaving without me?" I hear a low voice ask me.

Pinning the voice as Rangel's, I groan and jump off the last porch step.

He appears in front of me, the memories of last night flooding into my mind again, causing my knees to feel like jelly.

"Yes, I actually was thinking of leaving on my own," I spitefully tell him, walking past him-

He grabs my arm, pulling me close... Really close.

"I've got something for you," he says, releasing me which surprised me.

I raise an eyebrow, Rangel all a sudden taking my lips savagely as he puts something in my hands...

"Estelle, you may think I hate you, that I absolutely am just acting like this because we're both forced to love each other," Rangel breaths after pulling away. "But that's all bullshit. I love you more than anything even though I'm still really trying to cope with this."

Stunned, I look down to the box in my hands, Rangel's forehead pressed to mine.
Shaky hands as I open it, my breath catches as I see Rangel has gotten me a ring. It had diamonds on the top, the band silver.

"Rangel..." I trail off.

"Shh, you don't have to say anything," he says to me, taking the ring and slipping it on my ring finger. "I just wanted our relationship to become official."

As this all made sense, my mind was acting like it didn't, the cool metal only burning against my skin.

"Thanks," was all I could bite out.

"That's it?" He asks me, stuffing the box into his dress pant pocket.

He looked almost as handsome as Ozzy did tonight which was really saying something...

Rangel had a gray suit and black tie without his classically slicked-back-hair. His blonde hair looking actually voluminous for once.

I could run my fingers through those locks...

"I-I don't know what to say," I stutter, gazing at the ground as I couldn't meet his eyes. "You look handsome tonight."

Hating that I had to basically sweet talk him all the time or he would abuse me out of anger and frustration, I force myself to smile up at him like I was absolutely satisfied with this whole thing, and like life is so prefect.

"Stop acting fake, say your true thoughts to me," Rangel orders me, lifting my chin up, noticing my lies.

"Nothing good comes from my real thoughts," I say. "Especially when telling you them."

"How so?" He asks.

"Look at my arm, I hadn't even done anything for you to rage over that!" I exclaim."I'll never trust you like I should!"

Rangel sighs, nodding slightly as he cups my neck with one hand, holding my wrist.

"One day you'll understand why that all happened," he tells me."But as of right now, let's get to our party."

Confused, I let him guide me to the pounding base of the music, lights illuminating from every window.

Not ready for this, I grip Rangel's hand tighter, him reassuringly squeezing back.
And right then, I was surprised by how much one little squeeze by the guy I hated could easily clear up my anxiousness...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6M 88.9K 55
Kidnapped from her pack and abused since childhood, when Arden finally wanders free into the arms of her mate, how long until her demons come looking...
551K 13.6K 33
After being forced to live her life on the run, living the life of a rouge, Amelia discovers her mate is the Alpha of the second strongest pack in th...
25.6K 705 42
Ember Raven escapes her captors after six years of living in a cell. She grew up thinking that she's a natural rogue, not kicked out of a pack, just...
447K 13.4K 49
Cover by @auroralust Available on Goodreads under this title. Every year, wolves of age from around the country attend their Placing Tournament, the...