Death Note - J (Discontinued)

By iLiVe4GaMeS

(Eventual L×OC Fanfiction) A girl from the program of Whammy's House for gifted children never thought s... More

Death Note - J
# Chapter 1 # - The world's greatest detective
• Chapter 2 • - Meetings
♦ Chapter 3 ♦ -Forgotten Memories
♠ Chapter 4 ♠ - Problems
◙ Chapter 5 ◙ - 12 FBI Agents Down and Decisions
►Chapter 6◄ - So This is Really L...
♪ Chapter 7 ♪ - Who Are You, Yagami Light?
↕ Chapter 8 ↕ - An Unexpected Encounter
¶ Chapter 9 ¶ - He can defend and attack
§ Chapter 10 § - Tennis, Questioning, and Surprises...
↑ Chapter 11 ↓ - This Isn't Like Him
→ Chapter 12 ← - Shinigami...?
⌠Chapter 13⌡ - The Second Kira
○ Chapter 14 ○ - A Friend...
HELP???
☺Chapter 15☺ - This is Getting Crazy...
♣ Chapter 16 ♣ - Something is Not Right...
☼ Chapter 17 ☼ - This End is a New Beginning
* Chapter 19 * - Matsuda Screws Up
▬Chapter 20▬ - Misa Strikes Again
☻Chapter 21☻- Memory Problems
《Chapter 22》Part 1 - Returning Memory?
《Chapter 22》 Part 2 - Did I Just Get Kicked Out...?
☆Chapter 23☆ - Thank You
□Chapter 24□ - Home Sweet Home...well, not really
♢Chapter 25♢ - "Happy" Mother's day
♤Chapter 26 ♤-As if this journey couldn't get any more depressing.
Important Note
! ! U P D A T E ! ! (sorry, not a chapter)
This story is killing me.
¤ Chapter 27 ¤ - He Can Run, But He Can't Hide
■ Chapter 28 ■ - The Death Note
○ Chapter 29 ○ - Love Hurts... Alot
× Chapter 30 × - The New World
Δ Chapter 31 Δ - A Secret... or Two
Π Chapter 32 Π - N vs. Light
√ Chapter 33 √ - Breaking Point
Φ Chapter 34 Φ - Revelation and Offense
I can't right now
Haha... okay, here's what's up.
PREVIEW - Chapter 35
๑ Chapter 35 ๑ - Be More Like L, It Helps
The future of Death Note - J
New Story!
I M P O R T A N T
The (Unfinished) End
Removing all art from this book

▲Chapter 18▲ - Love or Confusion?

5.9K 129 247
By iLiVe4GaMeS

*** I'd like to give you guys a heads up that this will be the worst chapter I've ever written, okay? Heh - yeahhhh. Also note that I will no longer use caps-lock for yelling sequences. If you should know that they're reeeeeaaaallllllyyyyy yelling, it will be in italics. Which looks like this xD***

If I reaaaalllly wanted to go back in time and bash my head in with a baseball bat, I would have.

.

*Follow my tumblr for quick news updates, special previews, and deleted scenes! I'll also be answering and asking questions about my stories there!
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/ilive4games

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 18 - Part 2 intro

Part Two: "Yotsuba"

~In the world of gods of death, there are a few copies of what humans may call user guidebooks for using the DEATH NOTE in the human world. However, the guidebook is not allowed to be delivered to humans.~

"So I have a game: the person who remains sane for the longest time wins." I joke as a resulf of the few annoyances we've had from the chains so far; most involved tripping. We stayed at the sectional couch we chose after the conversation about a headquarters building since it has the right about of room for all of us to sleep. With a desk nearby, the lit computer screens offered a small nightlight.

"I lost." Light says after yawning. I chuckle at both his comment and sleepiness.

"Sorry, you joined the club that won't let you sleep."

"Just my luck, eh?"

"And you, Ryuuzaki?" I ask. But we get no response - he's in his own world. Thinking, theorizing, planning, and predicting the cause and effect. "I think we should quiet down now."

"Agreed." Light says and grabs a nearby pillow. "'Night."

"Goodnight." I say as he lies down.

It's quiet for a while; I resort to staring at the computer screensaver. Just leaves falling in water, which butchers the reflection of trees in the water with the ripples they cause. By the time I get bored of it, Light's asleep. I purposely added as much distance between us incase I need to talk to Ryuuzaki during the night. But for now, in case Light isn't completely out yet, I think to myself.

The first two weeks of confinement for Light made us certain that he was Kira. The killings had stopped immediately and he accepted that he 'could' be Kira. Then, the moment the killings started again, he completely changed. He became so innocent, and genuinely sounded so and even appeared so in every way. Although we never bought it, since even now it could be an act... there was just something about that. Let's say that Light did become a "different person", and at the same time Kira started killing again, then... is Kira's power passed to different people? This Light is who Yagami Light is if the power of Kira was given to a different person? That's why he seems so trustworthy...

But if he does that, then... the moment we catch a suspect, he'll switch... No, Light will continue to switch. He's the original finding a way to hide it. Then how can we hope to prove that it's him if he's not even Kira at the time?

"He's ever-changing with whatever ESP power that was given to him..." I start. "This Light right here isn't Kira right now."

"Did you think the same thing?" Ryuuzaki asks in a low voice, nearly whispering. "He passes his powers over to others?" I answer with a nod.

"That can't be it, right?" I ask. "We catch someone, and it jumps over to the next?"

"I want to believe that he's planned ahead for them to return, along with his memories at the right time."

"That'll probably be when we're dead." I murmur a bit louder, feeling defeated. I find myself leaning on his shoulder, like it was the natural thing to do. Maybe I'm too worried that Kira found a way to escape us to think about how something as simple as this could come off as something else.

"Don't say that, you'll be psyching yourself out." he encourages. I continue to be stubborn.

"It's not an impossible thought; Kira really can kill me. And you. As long as he has the name... In other words," I lift my head back up to look at him. "Misa."

Something about this conversation is clearly irking him, it's even shown in his face through what I can make out of his frustrated eyes. "Just know that for you, Ada, I've taken it upon myself to personally make sure that you stay safe." When he said my name is also when he made eye contact with me. Saying something like that... He's doing that for me...? And just with a few words, he charms his way to getting me to temporarily toss my earlier worries out the window for just a moment. I feel the blush in my cheeks and fear he can see it even though most of the room is already dark, the only light coming through the screens beside us. I can only see one half of his face glowing brightly, the rest completely blacked out by the shadows. He most likely sees the same image of me.

"W-why...?" I mutter out, finding that my heart is beating rapidly. I feel like I've been waiting my whole life to hear anything like that again... something from him that shows he cares about me and just me in a way... how long has it been since that happened?

"For one-" he cuts himself off as if he never planned to say it in the first place. But now that he's begun, there's no going back. "We would be greatly effected by your departure." He changed it.

"'We'?" I repeat, wanting to hear the real thing.

"Yes, however... it would cause me grief as well." The solem tone in his lowered voice is absolutely clear. "Ada, you're not dying. Neither will I."

"Why are you...?" I then realize what was happening. Unconsciously, we leaned in towards eachother and closed most the space between our faces. It's almost like last time but he's already tilted is head to the side; by being the first one do to so he's taking a chance. It's all a matter if I'll do the same. From seeing that happen, all of my questions on whether or not he felt the same are answered, and I waste no time complying to his wish. With my heart in overdrive, I shut my eyes and lean in to completely close the gap between us, his lips meeting mine... They're soft and warm, but a kiss so light and shy as this has a strong electric feeling to it that I never expected. This feeling, is it love? I ask myself as we pull away from eachother.

...Or am I confused? "By any chance," Ryuuzaki starts after a few seconds of silence. "did that answer your question?"

"Y-Yeah." I begin, then wait for a moment before continuing. "I..." I try to choke out. Don't worry him. "R-Ryuuzaki, I'm... scared." I can't figure out how to word it correctly.

"What's wrong?" And you did exactly what you weren't supposed to do, Ada!

"What if I'm... confused?" I blurt out. "I don't know if this is love or not... I want it to be, though... But, I just don't know."

"Truth is, I don't think I know for sure myself." he starts. "So I can't help you there. But I'm certain, that over time, we'll figure it out."

"Oh..." is all I can say. "So we'll find out, together?" He nods. I turn over to my left and take the nearest pillow. "Somehow, I'm a bit sleepy."

"I had a feeling you'd say that." he chuckles, leaving a fluttery feeling in my stomach. I fail at holding back a grin and I place it right next to him and his funny sit, and then lie down. I reach out for his hand and interlock his fingers with mine; there's a burning, tingling feeling left on my skin. "Good night."

"Good night." I say back, falling asleep within minutes.

~It is perfectly okay for gods of death to read the guidebook for him/herself and teach humans about its contents, no matter what the content may be.~

Light wakes up wondering why there's an unusually cold feeling around his wrist. Then in one second he remembers everything: life will be lived in these cuffs for awhile. Whatever it takes to prove my innocence, he thinks. He sits up and notices Ada is the only one still sleeping. So she really did sleep after that.

"Good morning, Light." he hears.

"Oh, morning Ryuuzaki." he quickly picks a subject on his mind to start a conversation. "I'll apologize in advance if Misa really does take me on a date today."

"No worries, but you should probably say that to her." he directs towards Ada, still in dead silence.

"Right, she's not her biggest fan." he adds.

"Light, one way that girl shows her love by doing anything you say, right?"

The brunet immediately has a deja vu experience with anger: was Ryuuzaki really going to ask again? "Ryuuzaki, you know I can't just pretend-!"

"-I was not asking you to manipulate Misa." Ryuuzaki assures with his voice lowering a bit.

"Then just what...?" It clicks. He glances over to Ada.

"I'm sure you heard us."

"Yeah," Light admits. "She was talking too loud and woke me up."

"From what point?"

"Something about you guys dying." Light answers honestly. "She's scared of Kira killing you." Ryuuzaki doesn't say anything furthur, only stares down to the sleeping girl. "I'm a little worried about you two as well, considering your situation."

"Do you really think she loves me?" the ravenette asks.

"There's no doubt about it, there's nothing for you to worry about." Light assures him. "Now it's all the more reason to stop Kira sooner."

"...I say the same for you and Misa."

"Thanks," before Light can say anything else, there are frantic footsteps approaching the door. He sighs. "I guess she's here."

"Hey Light~!" Misa calls from the other side. "Open up, it's time for our date~!"

"You'll have to wait until we transfer to headquarters." Ryuuzaki says loudly.

"Oh, just hurry up!" she says while punching the door.

Ada begins to stir from her sleep. "Make it stop," she murmurs and turns over.

"I don't care how weird it will be, I'll make sure it'll be perfect!"

~

"Man," Misa complains. "This has gotta be the lamest date I've ever been on."

"No no no, just pretend we're not even here, okay?" Ryuuzaki says with his fork resting on his lip.

"As far as you're concerned: we don't exist. Were like ghosts." I say in a manner that she may understand. "And thanks for the rude awakening earlier." I add bitterly. One night of sleep to five awake... she couldn't wait another day?

"Whatever," she replies in a mutual tone.

"By the way, are you gonna eat that piece of cake?" Ryuuzaki asks.

"Cake makes you fat, I'm not gonna eat any." she retorts.

"Actually I found that you don't gain any weight as long as you burn calories by using your brain."

"Hmpth! So now you're calling me stupid!?"

"He didn't say anything of the sort." I defend him.

"I want to file that under impossible," Light refers to Ryuuzaki's metabolism "but you never seem to surprise us." he laughs.

As Misa promised us, she and Light will go on a date, even if it's against our free will... and simply in the living room of her own floor. It's nothing short of being extremely awkward... three of us on one couch with, handcuffs, and the other sitting by herself.

"Fine then, I'll give you the piece of cake as long as you two agree to leave me and Light alone."

"Oh, then can I get something?" I ask.

"Like what?" she asks. "And I may or may not give it to you."

"I don't know," I didn't expect her to answer. "A... something other than dessert?" She gives me an unamused look that says there's only dessert in here. "In all honesty I was just playing around."

"You like to waste time, don't you?" she nags. Waste time? That took twenty seconds max to have that conversation altogether.

"Even if we do leave you guys alone, I know I'll be watching on surveillance cameras so it wouldn't make any difference." Ryuuzaki says plainly.

"You pervert! Will you stop it with your creepy hobbies!?"

"You can call me whatever you like; I'm still taking your cake." he stands up, puts his foot on the table, and lunges over to grab the small plate of cake on the other side.

"Okay then, I'll just close the curtains and turn off the lights!" she suggests in a proud voice.

I laugh. "Oh, you caught us. We don't have infrared cameras."

"You."

"Is something the matter, Ryuuzaki?" Light asks and sits straight up. "I thought moving here was supposed to help us catch Kira. But since we've been here you haven't seemed that motivated to me."

"Not movitvated?" Ryuuzaki repeats. "Well, actually I'm a bit depressed."

"Depressed?" Light asks. "Ada, is that true?"

"No honorific!?" Misa screams at us to the side, completely ignored.

"I wouldn't say he's depressed," I emphasize and give Ryuuzaki a look. "I would say he's... stuck in a corner."

"Yes, truthfully, I thought all this time that you were Kira and that my entire case hinged on that fact." Ryuuzaki takes a bite of his shortcake. "I guess I just can't get past the fact that my deduction was wrong."

"The fact that there's another Kira kills it for the investigation." I say. "But by no means did we lose suspicion." I say and lift one of my hands up, purposely allowing the chains from the cuff make noise.

"Kira can control people's actions, which means it's likely that Kira was controlling your actions so that I would suspect you. If I assume that both you and Misa were being controlled by him, then everything we've observed so far makes a lot more sense to me." Ryuuzaki explains.

"If that's what you think," Lighy begins, "Misa and I were both Kira during the time that we were being controlled, right?"

"Exactly." I say. "The moment you were locked up, the killings stopped. Of course that meant one thing."

"But then something came up." Ryuuzaki says. "Only two weeks later did criminals start dying again. And you went from 'I could be Kira' to 'I'm not Kira'. So based on that, it's possible that Kira can pass his powers to other people."

"That's a really good theory..." Light says.

"And it also means that it's almost impossible to even catch him." I add.

"Yes, that's why it's overwhelming." Ryuuzaki says. "Even if we catch someone under Kira's control, they'll likely lose their powers and any memory of their crimes, so in the end, pursuing them becomes futile."

"But at this point we have no way of knowing if that's the case. C'mon, cheer up."

"Not possible." Ryuuzaki stubbornly sticks to his word. I click my tongue and roll my eyes. "Maybe it's better if we just stop trying so hard. By chasing Kira so desperately, we're just putting our lives at risk for nothing. Yes, it's just a waste of time." Ryuuzaki lies his head on his knees.

"If he doesn't stop doing that, it'll rub off on me as well..." I complain. "I've just been ignorant this whole time to avoid that."

Light suddenly stands up. "Ryuuzaki?" he asks in a kind voice.

Ryuuzaki turns around only to get socked square in the face. It was strong enough to knock him off the couch. The chains are long, but not long enough to not be affected should one of us fall; we'll be dragged along. Light and I stumble over. I onky let out a yelp whereas Misa full on shrieks and steps back.

Ryuuzaki sits back up, dazed. "That hurt."

"That's enough!" He says harshly, making me flinch. "You don't feel like doing anything just because your genius deduction was wrong and I'm not Kira!" Ryuuzaki wiped his mouth with his wrist.

"Fine, I guess I phrased that the wrong way." he said hastily. "I meant that it's just pointless to make a move." he growls in anger. The farthest I can manage to crawl away without my arms being forced up is about three feet.

"If we don't chase Kira, he'll never be caught. Is that what you really want!? If you were just gonna give up then why did you involve all those innocent people!?" He grabs Ryuuzaki's shirt collar and yanka him up "More importantly, what was the point of putting Misa and I behind bars!?"

"Guys, guys, really!" I shout. "Don't do anything you'll regret!"

"Please don't fight!" Misa joins in from farther away.

"I understand." Ryuuzaki mumbles. "But still, whatever the reason-" he frees himself from Light's grip and kicks him square in the jaw, which sends him flying backwards. Misa screams once again, while I half-watch, half-hear what Ryuuzaki has to say. "An eye for an eye, my friend."

At the same time Ryuuzaki finishes talking, I make an attempt to hold down the chains so that Light's impact isn't as severe. It helps a great deal, since the thud that's caused by Light landing on his back wasn't as loud as it should have been, and I'm only dragged forwards by sliding on my knees instead of falling flat on my face.

I hastily go over to help Light up while Ryuuzaki gets his balance back. I'm stopped obviously because of the chains, but I give Ryuuzaki an angry look before yanking hom over so that I have room to reach Light. Kira or not, right now I'm certain that this Light that is good: who he woukd have been if someone else was Kira first. "Can you guys stop to think for a minute instead of lashing out!?" I scream at the both of them.

"You're not the innocent one, Ada." Light says. "I know that you're the same. You're just as selfish as he is."

"Selfish?" I demand and raise an eyebrow.

"It's not my deduction that was wrong." Ryuuzaki continues loudly, causing us to glance as him. "I can say that Yagami Light is Kira, and that Amane Misa is the second Kira. But it won't be enough to solve the case. And that's why I'm a little depressed. Is that so unreasonable?"

That only seems to cause Light's wrath to flare up even more. "Yes, yes it is." he growls.

"No, it's not!" I defend. "Think about our situation for a second, don't you think it's a little frustrating!? Yes, it's a bit immoral to talk about you like that, but you can never escape our suspicion." Even if you're different now. The Kira Yagami Light is very capable of coming back.

"Are you kidding me!? You didn't just say that, did you?" he beams. "That's completely immoral! Consider my situation for once, especially Ryuuzaki. It's like you won't be satisfied unless I'm Kira!"

"I won't be satisfied unless you're Kira?" Ryuuzaki wonders aloud. "Well, there may be some truth to that." He mumbles so quietly it's hard to catch his words. "In fact now that you mentioned it, you're right. I think I wanted you to be Kira."

Light swings and lands another punch in Ryuuzaki's face. Yet he doesn't react, only stands there strangely. "It's like I said before, and eye for an eye." Ryuuzaki utteres out. He can talk even in that condition? "I'm a lot stronger than I look, you know."

They start fighting again, and I can only stick to the ground to avoid beind dragged around. No, I shouldn't have to deal with this, they need to cut it out! I Find my balance and force my way inbetween, not caring anymore if I take a hit or not. "Guys, really, stop!" I manage to get them to cease with their fists mid-air.

"Why should I!?" Light screams. "It's not fair that L is suspecting me just because I'm the only person he can suspect! I'm sorry Ada, but you're gonna have to move-!" He steps over to the side forcefully and lands a hit on Ryuuzaki. He didn't push me but more or less gave me no room to stand. As I fall over, they stumble over to the side. In fact, the last thing I see before turning around is Ryuuzaki trying to choke Light.

But I turned around for a reason. "Amane, at least try to do something!"

"No way!" she resists.

"C'mon, that's your boyfriend who's getting hurt out there! Wouldn't you want to stop it!?"

"Maybe this will answer your question-!" She scurries over to the corner of the room.

"Goddammit." I mumble to the area where she was hiding.

Everything goes silent when the phone rings.

Ryuuzaki strolls over to it like nothing has happened, of course Light and I following in line. "Yes? ...Oh, I see. Cool." He drops the phone back in its place.

"Who was that?" I ask.

"Matsuda's acting stupid again."

"Well, that is his specialty." Light says.

I sigh and jump on the bandwagon. "The one thing he's good at."

"I'm sorry, Ada." Light says after a moment for them to regain their breath. "I don't think it's fair that you were dragged into that."

"It's fine." I wave it off.

"Really?" he asks.

"No, not anymore."

"Oh Liiight!" Misa exclaims and runs over to Light, hugging him with a death grip. "Ryuuzaki, how could you hit him like that!?"

"So now you're protective!?" I yell at her.

"No Misa, I was the one who started it." Light says.

"We were both the ones who were fighting, but it's over now. Let's just leave it at that." Ryuuzaki says. I allow myself as much distance as the chains will allow from Light, but I see Ryuuzaki also heading my way. It's strange, they seem to go on forever when it's not needed, yet feel like only two feet apart in the most inconvenient times...

"Are you okay?" he whispers to me and puts his hand on my arm in an assuring manner. The samw tingling feeling I had holding his hand is back from his touch.

"I'm not okay with how you two handled the situation." I begin. Yet I can't stay like a stone for too long. "Yeah, I'm fine..."

~"You can't win with defense alone. To win, you must attack!" - Light Yagami.~

After everything cools down, we settle back into the main headquarters room. I make an attempt to convince Ryuuzaki to do something, seeing that Light was in the midst of working, but halfway through I faded out knowing very well that I wouldn't have done anything either. So during that period of staring into the wall, the only sound we hear is the typing and clicking from Light's laptop. After a long time of this, he calls us over.

"Alright you two, I know you're not too excited about it, but you have to check this out." We slide over on our chairs over to him, and he moves a little himself to give us some room to see. Take a close look at this," he pulls up a long list of names. "It can't be coincidence. All them were Japanese business men. CEO's and leaders in the respective industries, and in just over a month they all died of heart attacks." He then shows us a chart of all the major companies and their ratings, which all have hit rock bottom with the exception of one: Yotsuba. "As expected, there's been a general downturn in the market with the exception of Yotsuba.

"In other words, their deaths have worked in Yotsuba's favor." He sets the two charts together. "There have been certain similar deaths in the past three months. Your thoughts?"

I practically feel my eyes dilate. "That's..."

"Impressive." Ryuuzaki finishes.

"So based on this, I can only conclude that Kira is supporting Yotsuba."

"Hm, it could be." Ryuuzaki with a hint of interest in his voice. "But if what you're saying is true, we can assume that punishing criminals is not this Kira's real intent."

"Right. Punishing criminals is a diversion for him. It obscures the fact that he's actually killing people for the benefit of his company. So, how's your motivation now?" he asks us with a chuckle.

~"An eye for an eye." - L~

Chief and Mogi eventually return from the police station that evening. "Hey chief!" Matsuda greets. "Oh, you too Mogi. I've got some great news. This is amazing; I'm not even sure how he figured it out, but Light -kun has a theory that Kira's somehow involved with the Yotsuba group. Can you believe it!?"

"Yotsuba?" Chief asks.

"Well, yeah."

"That's probably it. Good work."

"Huh?"

"We just spoke with the director and it seems Kira's offered bribes to a number of politicians. So that's that. The police caved in to him." My stomach jumps.

"What!?" I almost yell and spin around to see them. Ryuuzaki and Light follow.

"Mogi and I have already made our decision." Chief says. "Aizawa, Matsuda, Ada, if you guys wish to continue working on this case, you'll have to hand in your letter of resignation to the NPA just as Mogi and I are going to do. Like it or not, you cannot pursue Kira as a member of the police force anymore."

So in order to catch Kira, I can't be a police officer anymore? That's... fine in the means that I can be here and have support because I'm still young but... what about the future? My mind decides to have my eyes flicker over to Ryuuzaki for a second, then return like it was involuntary. I guess I'll find out... I'm grateful that everything else has been supporting me for so long, but I must ask that I can be selfish for a little longer.

"Wh-what? H-hold on a second, chief." Aizawa asks slowly, still processing the information.

"They made it quite clear. If you continue to work with L, you'll be fired. It's all there is to it."

"So then, chief..." Matsuda says.

"In a few more hours, I will no longer be your chief. However, we all have our own lives to think about, so think it over carefully."

"That's true chief... especially if you've got a family to support."

"If you want my opinion, you would be better off as police officers." Ryuuzaki says, looking back at his laptop. "I was alone when I started this investigation, and although I am grateful to all of you for staying with me as long as you have, I know that I can do this by myself. I'll be sure to visit you at the department and bring you Kira's head as a reward for all that you've sacrificed."

As if our brains are linked, Light and I simultaneously turn to Ryuuzaki in a cynical manner. "You think we'd leave, Ryuuzaki?" I ask.

"As long as we're alive, there's no way we'll be taken out of this case." Light declares. "You have my word."

"Of course... it seems I won't be able to get these two off my back. I won't be alone after all. But still, I think you guys should remain police."

"But when you first contacted us, you said that you would need the help of the police in order to solve this case." Yagami reminds him. Yes, that's right...

"That's because the police were an organization who were still hoping to arrest Kira. They weren't bowing to him." Ryuuzaki says. "Besides, with all due respect, there's a big difference between the help of two or three civilians and the police as an organization." He pops a cherry into his mouth, including the stem. "Besides, the police have made their position clear. They don't wanna catch Kira, so let's just leave it at that." There's something up with him... I think as I get a familiar gut feeling. Ryuuzaki, what's up with you? You've had no problem with this small group being here at all...

"Hm, well I suppose what you're saying makes sense. If we're not police officers anymore we won't be of much use to you. However, we're all personally involved in this; all of us have risked our lives to catch Kira. Doesn't that give us the right to decide whether we stay here or return to the police force?"

Ryuuzaki takes the stem from the cherry out of his mouth, which is now in a knot. "That's a good point." he says. "Then by all means, please make your decision." I feek slightly relieved that I've already made my point.

"But chief, wait." Aizawa says. "If you quit your job then you'll be unemployed. Even if we do catch Kira, what are you gonna do after that?"

"After that... I hadn't really thought of it. I suppose after we catch Kira... I'll just have to dust off my résumé."

"Count me in!" Matsuda says happily. "I'm gonna quit the police and chase Kira too chief! And I still have my job as Misa-Misa's manager. Besides, if I stayed on as a police officer, I'd feel like a total loser -"

"- think before you open your mouth, Matsuda."

"Uhh." Matsuda freezes upon realizing what he was saying and who he was speaking in front of. He slowly turns back to Aizawa with a face of sympathy.

Aizawa has his teeth clenched and his hands balled up into fists. "Is there any way I could still keep my job and help you in my spare time?" Aizawa asks Ryuuzaki desperately.

"No. If you remain a police officer, then please don't come back here."

"But you know I won't leak any informa -"

"- I won't be sharing any of our information."

"You're free to pursue Kira on your own if you want to. But I don't think it's fair to your family to burden by giving up your livelihood just to continue this. I can't see how that's a good idea." My gut feeling hasn't gone away.

Ryuuzaki, what are you doing?

"It's as Ryuuzaki says." Yagami tells Aizawa. "No one here is gonna blame you for quitting."

"Yeah, he's right Aizawa. We all understand why you gotta do this." Matsuda says calmly.

"But the chief has a family too." Aizawa says through clenched teeth.

"Our situations are completely different." Yagami says.

"Dammit. To leave now after all we've been through... I said I was prepared to die if that's what it took to catch him and I meant it. What kind of friend would I be to Ukita if I quit now? I became a detective so I could catch the bad guys, not run away!" His sudden shouting makes me jump.

The laptops suddenly switch from their screensavers to the 'W' symbol and Watari's voice comes through the speakers. "Ryuuzaki, early on in the investigation, you specifically told me if a task force member were to lose their job under any circumstances, I should make preparations to ensure that their families financial future was secure. If you recall, this is set aside for this very purpose. I'm a little curious to why you're withholding this information." Of course... how could I forget L's reputation for being unfair?

"This is not the time or place, Watari." Ryuuzaki saysvplainly.

"I'm sorry." he leaves.

"No way, so all this time we had nothing to worry about?" Matsuda asks happily. "I can't believe you did that! There you go Aizawa, isn't that great news -? Uh," the smile drops from his face when he sees Aizawa's angered look.

"Ryuuzaki, I assume that was some sort of test to determine how committed I was to this task force." He accuses.

"No-no-no, it's not like that, Aizawa." Yagami says quickly. "Ryuuzaki's just not the type of person to say things directly. You should know that by now."

"Y-yeah, that's right." Matsuda joins in.

"No."

They turn around to Ryuuzaki.

"I was testing you. I wanted to see which one you would choose."

"Ryuuzaki..." Yagami says with disbelief in his voice.

"Fine then," Aizawa starts. "If I wasn't sure before I am now!"

"But Aizawa-!" Matsuda pleads.

"Let's face it; I wasn't able to decide right away like you guys. I was leaning going back towards going back to the police!"

"C'mon Aizawa, don't be so stubborn -"

"- No! I quit! Now I know this for sure: I've always hated Ryuuzaki! I hate him and his way of doing things!"

I don't blame you...

Aizawa tturnson his heel and heads for the door out, stomping angrily.

"That's too bad." Ryuuzaki adds. "Because I like you, Aizawa."

He takes a sharp breath through grit teeth before continuing. "I also hate the way you always gotta have the last word! First you insult me, then you say something like that!? That's it, I'm outta here!"

"Thank you for everything."

~"I promised you that if anything happens to you, I'll find Kira and make sure he gets executed." - Light Yagami.~

"I just found another one." Light announces. "A general manager of a bank, Yotsuba's biggest competitor. On September 7th, he slipped and fell on the front steps of his house and died, instantly."

"September 7th was a Friday, wasn't it?"

Yagami enters the room while looking at the huge stack of papers in his arms.

"After going over this again and I noticed something. All the deaths which are beneficial to Yotsuba are concentrated around the weekends."

"The weekends?" Matsuda repeats.

"At first, the times of death appeared to be random, but recently, they've all taken place between Friday night and Saturday afternoon."

"I'm amazed that you even noticed that, chief." Matsuda says.

"Matsuda, I thought I told you to stop calling me chief."

"Hehe, sorry but you'll always be the chief to me."

"This is a really important clue, dad. Good work." Light compliments him.

"Well, you know. I can't let myself fall behind you and the others. After all, the last thing I want to become is dead weight."

"Huh, dead weight?" I hear Matsuda mutter.

"Is Kira someone from Yotsuba? Or is Kira simply using Yotsuba? I haven't figured that out yet put we'll proceed with the assumption that this is Kira's doing." He glances over to me and I give him a nod. "We will focus on Yotsuba." Ryuuzaki states.

Mogi then joins us in the room with a stack of papers all the way up to his chin. "Hey guys. These are all of the Yotsuba groups and employees. Here." He sets the papers down next to Ryuuzaki.

"Thank you very much." Ryuuzaki says and slid the papers in front of him.

"Wow." Light gasps.

"You really put this together that quickly?" I ask in astonishment. "That's 300,000 people! Just how much spare time do you have?"

"That's amazing, Mogi!"

"He's been incredibly efficient from the start." Ryuuzaki comments.

"Ryuuzaki." Matsuda says quickly wwhilestanding up from his chair. "Please tell me, is there anything I can do to help with the investigation; besides the manager thing?"

My mind flashes back to a few moments ago, when he questioned the term dead weight. Could be be...?

"So, you really wanna be useful?" Don't do it. I mentally beg.

"Y-Yes!"

"Then could you get me another cup of coffee? And for our guests over there as well." Ryuuzaki gestures towards the front of the room sitting around the coffee table.

"Who are they?"

"Hold on a sec, who let them in?" Light asks.

We turn to find two blondes sitting at the coffe table by the stairs, one man and a woman. "You never told me about this..." I say in a confused voice.

"Those two are the newest members of the task force." Ryuuzaki explains.

"The name's Aiber." says the guy in the fancy-looking suit and dirty blonde hair. "I'm a conman. How's it going?" Based on how he's dressed and that smug look on his face, he didn't really need to explain his profession.

"I'm Weddy." says the lady with the stripped coat and skirt with sunglasses on and bleached-blond hair with soft curls. "I'm a thief by trade."

"A conman and a theif." Yagami repeats as we stand up.

"That's right." Ryuuzaki says. "Aiber is a life-long conman. His unparalleled social skills allow him to befriend and gain the trust of any target. We'll use him for infiltration. As for Weddy here, she's a thief who specializes in cracking high-end security systems. As proof of that, she was able to enter the building without setting off a single alarm."

Impressive, since it takes several minutes to pass this security.

"You expect us to work with criminals?" Yagami asks.

"Yes, that is correct. However these two have never once been caught, so it's unlikely that they'll be killed by Kira. Think of them as professionals of the underworld."

"I get it. To investigate Yotsuba, we'll need people like this." I mention. I just wish you would have let me known. I thought... he could trust me now? Or is it just his habit to do things on his own? Even still, he should have...

Ryuuzaki, even though I feel like I know you, you never cease to confuse me.

"Let's all do our part and make this happen, okay?" Light ends the discussion, and along with it my thoughts.

*Preview of the next chapter*

"'Confidential meetings?' And from the sound of it, they take place every Friday night. This is it!"

~

"They're probably discussing how they'll get rid of me. Oh, there's no way out of this. I'm gonna be killed for sure."

~

"Matsuda, you idiot."

*To be continued*

Continue Reading