The Runaway {Narry}

By livingforthebest

They started out as Best Friends and quickly drifted to strangers. Harry climbed his way up to the top of the... More

Chapter 2- Thinking About You
Chapter 3- Give Me Love
Chapter 4- Catching Feelings
Chapter 5- With Ears To See
Chapter 6- Misery Loves Company
Chapter 7- Into The Dark
Chapter 8- Goodbye
Chapter 9- Paper Airplane
Chapter 10- Wake Me Up
Chapter 11- In The Dark
Chapter 12- Mockingbird
Chapter 13- The Other Side
Chapter 14- When I Look At You
Chapter 15- Skinny Love
Chapter 16- In Case
Chapter 17- Crazy
Chapter 18- Remind Me
Chapter 19- Wrecking Ball
Chapter 20- Counting Stars
Chapter 21- Sweater Weather
Chapter 22- Dark
Chapter 23- Trapped
Chapter 24- Lullaby
Chapter 25- Bang Bang
Chapter 26- Say Something
Chapter 27- Limelight
Chapter 28- Hot For Me
Chapter 29- Make Me Your One And Only
Chapter 30- Bad Day
Chapter 31- Love Without Tragedy
Chapter 32- Boiling Point
Chapter 33- Helpless
Chapter 34- Twisted
Chapter 35- I Never Told You
Chapter 36- Love Me Again
Chapter 37- Tonight
Chapter 38- Prom
Chapter 39- Not A Bad Thing
Chapter 40- I'll Be Your Lighthouse
Chapter 41- I Am Yours
Chapter 42- A Happy Ending
Chapter 43- Safe and Sound
Chapter 44- Fast Forward
New Book - I Hate You Out Loud

Chapter 1- Sticks and Stones

65.4K 1.3K 1.7K
By livingforthebest

Niall:

"You're freaking gay, Justin!" Someone shouts from the courtyard.

I pull my jacket tighter around my shoulders and trudge on as they all laugh like it was the best joke they had ever head.

"Hey there he is!" Brock call

God please no, can't they just leave me alone for one day. I silently pray but I already know that answer. I duck my head down and quicken my pace.

"Hey fag." One of his henchmen snarled. "Henchmen" is putting it nicely. They follow Brock around like he's some holy god.

"How's our favorite little homo on this fine morning?" Brock asks as he slings his heavy arm over my thin shoulders. Brock is big, he stands at about 6 feet 5 inches and he has big thick eyebrows with light brown eyes. His hair is thin and cut short. I hate him and even I can admit that he's attractive.

This whole thing started in my 6th year. Back when I figured out I was ...you know... Gay. Brock and I had actually been friends at one point until I tried to kiss him. Well I wouldn't say tried more of slipped? And my lips accidentally brushed his. Worst "slip" of my life.

"Leave me alone," I say weakly as my eyes meet his. His are burning a hole in my face.

"Hey I heard that Eric might have a crush on you!" Brock says completely ignoring my protest. All the boys around him to burst out in laughter. Great. Why did I even take this way? Oh yeah because I deserved it. I was a freak. It seemed like the only way to make up for being gay was to be bullied.

"Hey Brock, Lucy is looking for you." A voice calls out. My favorite voice on earth. I glance over Brock's shoulder to find a head of curly hair and dark brown eyes, Harry Styles. He doesn't know it but I was deeply in love with him, partly because of his looks and genuine humor but mostly because he didn't bully me like everyone else.

"Alright, thanks mate!" Brock said as he dropped his arm from my shoulders and called his friends to follow him.

"See you later homo!" Brock sneered.

I glanced up at Harry to see he was smiling at me. I flashed him a grateful glance before heading off to my classes. Harry and I didn't talk at school, but we actually did used to be best friends. Since Harry had a reputation as the top jock that every girl wanted I spared him the horror of getting seen talking to me. I guess he just assumed that I didn't talk much, which was true.

I made it through the first 3 classes without any harsh words which was usual and then I had a class with Brock which was hell because the teacher never paid any attention and I didn't have Harry to help me out.

I was so worn out by the end of the day I decided that there was no point in going to footie practice. Even though I would be missing out on seeing Harry shirtless I would also be missing out on Brock and his torturers . Which was a way higher plus for me.

I trudged into my house and tossed down my bag.

"Afternoon love." My mum called out.

"Hi mum." I said as I made my way into the kitchen and kissed her cheek.

"The Styles invited us over for dinner tomorrow night." She said.

"Great." I said trying to sound excited even though it would just end up being awkward for me.

Harry:

"Harry, can you set the table?" She asked.

"Mmhm." I said as I reached for the plates and started placing them on the table.

"No the outside one please." She said.

"We'll you could've said something." I groaned as I pushed the glass door open and made my way through our extravagant garden to our large table that was aglow with lanterns. Actually the whole backyard was aglow with lights.

"Harry," my mum called as I sat down the last plate. "They are here."

I felt my heart sink a little into my stomach. I don't know why but I kinda always had a thing for the little guy. Well not a thing... but a... thing, if you know what I mean. He was adorable in his own way and I hated that people especially my friends picked on him. Don't get me wrong I wasn't gay I was just, protective over him. Maybe it was because we had used to be best friends.

I stepped back up into the house just as my dad was pulling our heavy oak door open.

"Maura, nice to see you." He said. "Bobby!" He greeted his best friend.

I peered around my fathers head and caught a glimpse of the small brunette boy. He had beautiful bright blue eyes... Well they used to be bright. Now the only time they shined was when he cried. His eyes met mine and the quickly flickered back down to his feet.

We ate dinner and I conversed lightly with the adults though my attention was on Niall the entire time. He barely ate a thing. I knew this was all due to the bullying, he got called all kinds of names.

After dinner the adults headed into the house and I stood up. I had an idea.

*

"Hey, Niall." I said.

"Hmm?" He mumbled.

"Want to go on a walk?" I asked.

He shrugged but stood up nonetheless.

"Come on." I said.

He stumbled on his way to me but I steadied him quickly with both my hands on either arm.

"Woah." I smiled.

He blushed lightly and dropped his arms from my grasp. I started off towards the best part of my mothers garden with him in tow. He slumped beside me and kept his eyes on the ground.

"How are you Niall?" I asked suddenly.

He looked up at me his blue eyes searching mine. "Fine." He muttered.

I shook my head. "No you aren't." I said.

"I'm fine, really...I deserve it anyways."

"How could you say that?" I asked trying not to let too much of my emotion show. I didn't want him to know that I really did care about him. "You do not deserve any of this." I said.

"Thanks." He whispered.

"For what?" I asked.

"For not telling my parents, and for treating me like I'm somewhat normal." He mumbled.

"You know, I bet if you had a little more confidence people wouldn't pick on you as much."

"Or maybe if I was a different person."

"How do you feel about being blond?" I asked.

"What?"

"I'll pick you up tomorrow at 10." I said. "Be ready."

Niall:

I heard the honk of Harry's horn as I slipped into my favorite jacket and then made my way down the stairs. My mum was out so I didn't bother leaving a note.

I slipped into Harry's car and buckled the seat belt. I admired the new leather smell and the high tech console. Harry's family was filthy rich...sorta like mine...but not that money mattered in my life.

"Aren't you worried that people will see us?" I asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Together?"

"Niall, I run the school...no one will say a thing to me." He said as he backed out.

"What about Brock?"

"He's a dipshit." Harry chuckled.

I couldn't help but laugh along as I watched his beautiful chest rise and fall. The familiar ache in my heart came back when I realized that me and him...we would never be a thing. Yet here I was in his car and he was taking me on a sort of date...right?"

We climbed out once we reached the mall and Harry took me straight to a salon. He sat me in the chair and called the worker over.

"Niall do you trust me?" He asked, looking at me intently.

Yes, Harry I trust you with my whole heart, you are the only person that I trust. I thought. But externally I just nodded my head.

"Niall this is my Aunt Livvy, Livvy...Niall."

She smiled warmly at me and shook my shaking hand. Curse you hands, why can't you stay still for just a few minutes. I shoved my hand directly back into my pocket once she released it.

"I'm thinking blonde with a quiff." Harry said.

I swallowed hard, I had never dyed my hair before, but I trusted him. How much worse could I look right?

Harry:

2 and a half hours later Livvy came out into the waiting room and motioned for me to come back with a bright smile on her face.

Excited, I put down the magazine I was reading and jogged to the door that lead to the backroom. When I saw him I had to lean against the banister for support. He was gorgeous it was amazing how much the blond brightened him up. Was it possible that I was gay now?

No. I told myself as I studied him. His hair was now up into a quiff and out of his eyes and it was blond. It really brought out his eyes.

"Do you like it?" I asked.

He was smiling at me through the mirror. "Yeah, I- thank you." He said. He turned around and his eyes found mine. It reminded me of when we were kids.

---------

"Haz," Niall called out from his perch in the tree above me head.

"What Ni?" I asked looking up.

"Get up here!" He said.

"Make me!" I shouted and stuck my tongue out at him.

"Fine!" He shouted as he jumped from the tree and started towards me.

I let out a scream of terror and dashed of towards the house. Before I could reach it he grabbed the back of my shirt pulling me down on top of him.

We laughed and laughed until we recollected ourselves.

Niall looked at me with his little blue eyes.

"We'll be best friends forever." He promised.

------

Funny how things changed. As soon as Niall came out the he was gay, he began slipping away from me. Truth is I never cared if he was gay because he was my best friend. Was.

Niall and I headed off to my favorite clothing store, Topman. I think a good pair of skinny jeans would do him good. And a new pair of shoes. I thought.

"Harry?" He asked.

"Hmm?" I said.

"Why are you doing this?"

"Because I want to help you." I said.

"But why?" He asked again.

"Do you think I like seeing you cry?" I asked knowing that it would shut him up. I was right he blushed deeply and tore his eyes away from me.

"You are not the only gay guy at school, Niall. You are just the only one who gets bullied." I said.

Niall:

I stared at myself in the mirror. I was still the same skinny kid with pale skin and dark circles under my eyes from the constant tears and never being able to sleep. I wish I was strong, I wish I could stand up for myself, I wish I could ignore their comments...but that just wasn't me. I was a freak. I ran my fingers through my newly dyed blond hair. I did like it. Not only because Harry had said it looked good but because it actually made me look brighter, and happier. It lightened my eyes and made my skin look darker than it's usually pale. I spun around to see how my new jeans made my bum look. They were tight, just like what Harry wore. They were a little rough on my lower half, but Harry said I would get used to it. I liked the way it made my bum pop out a bit more and it made my skinny legs look muscled and toned. 

As I continued to check myself out Harry's words echoed through my mind. "You are not the only gay guy at school". Was he implying the he was also gay? I didn't know but after today he could be. He had to have complimented me at least 20 times.

For the first time in a long time I felt happy, my heart pounding hard and I felt giddy. It was crazy and wonderful all at the same time. I plopped down on my bed and pulled out my phone to see that I had a new text. My heart swelled when I read the name. 1 New Message - Harry

Hiii, how are you liking the hair?

Harry freaking Styles, just texted me. When did he even get my number? He must have snatched it while we were out today. I did have him hold my phone while I tried on these jeans. God what do I say? Be cool, Niall. Be cool.

I sighed and rubbed my face with my hands. Don't make him wait forever you idiot!

-Hey, I really like it, i think it suits me.

I tapped my finger over the send button and took a deep breath. Just do it Niall. I hit send and then tossed my phone down on my bed. I had never felt this way before.

It does, thanks for going out yesterday, I had fun. xx

I silently squealed and picked up my phone. I swear I reread the message a hundred times. He had fun, with me, and he added to xx. Two kisses? Is there a possibility that he liked me? I was beginning to think so.

-Me to :D, you didn't have to buy it all for me.

I wanted too, a hot guy like you needs hot clothes to go with him.  He said.

This time I literally freaked. He called me hot, a hot guy like me. I had never been called hot, by anyone, especially not Harry Styles, hottest guy at Cheshire.

-Well thank you then :)  I texted. I sat and waited for his response. 2 minutes. 3 minutes. 6 minutes.

"Come on Harry." I muttered. 10 minutes later and still nothing. I sighed. Guess this was the end of it. Why did I ask him a question! It's too late to send a second message now.

"Niall! Dinner." My mum called. I groaned and checked my phone one last time. Please Harry.

Still nothing. I sighed in surrender and headed out the door leaving my phone on my bed. I wasn't allowed to have my phone at the table, not that I ever did anyways. I never had anyone to text.

"Afternoon Niall." My mum said. "NIALL!" Her eyes went wide.

"What?" I asked. I searched behind to try to find what she was staring at.

"Your hair!" She said.

Oh yeah that. "Harry took me today, do you like it?" I asked.

She swallowed hard. "I guess if that's what you like." She said.

My dad snickered and patted the chair beside him. "You look great Nialler." He said.

"Thanks Dad." I said as I sat down beside him. My mum dished a piece of chicken onto my plate with some roasted potatoes. I smiled at the food and picked up my fork.

"Woah, slow down Niall. Since when are you ever this excited to eat?" My dad asked.

I shrugged. "I just had a busy day." I dug in and swallowed the delicious chicken. Was my mum's food always this good? Usually I wouldn't eat because I spent half the day in the dumpster or the boys bathroom stall. The one all the way at the end. The one that no one ever used because it was so terrible.

I noticed my dad flash my mum a knowing smile when she sat down.

"What?" I asked with food hanging out of my mouth. Surprisingly my mum didn't tell me to close my mouth and chew before I spoke.

"Do you like Harry?" They asked at the exact same time. It was rather frightening. As the words registered in my mind I choked on my the food in my mouth.

"What no! Harry's a friend." I said.

"You don't have friends." My dad pointed out. I glared. "I do so, Charles is my friend."

"Right he pays you to mow his lawn and offers you a glass of lemonade every once and a while." My dad laughed. Charles was our next door neighbor. He was around 60 years old and he was a little crazy. But he was as close to friend as I have ever had...well since Harry.

"I bet Harry likes you." My mum said.

I shook my head violently. No, mum just stop talking please. I silently begged. I finished eating without another word and snuck up to my room as soon as the dishes were clean and put away.

He had to have texted me since I had left. He had to have. I know he did. I pushed my door open and reached for my phone. I unlocked it and refreshed my messages to find that he hadn't responded yet.

I felt my heart sink down into the pit of my stomach. Millions of thoughts ran through my mind, I had annoyed him, he was talking to someone else.....not that I had any claim on him. I had to take my mind off of him before I got seriously ill.

I grabbed my laptop and logged onto my facebook and twitter. My facebook was the real me and twitter was the fake me where no one knew who I really was. I preferred twitter. I didn't get as many comments and hurtful things said to me.

I read through my facebook feed. About a month ago I couldn't even look at a computer because of what people were saying to me. Once things calmed down I found twitter and made an account. People actually wanted to talk to me on twitter. They helped me through things. My 2,342 followers on twitter were probably the only reason I was still alive. I had thought of killing myself but I never found the strength to do it. Like I said, I was weak. I couldn't even take my own life. How pathetic is that?

Hi Niall... xx How are you? One tweet read.

I typed a quick response.

It was funny how differently I was treated online as to real life.

Just then my phone buzzed loudly, scaring the shit out me. I reached over for it and opened the message.

You are very welcome, Ni. I miss you xx

I miss you.

I miss ....you.

He missed me.

Me.

vote.COMMENT.fan.

Hi Loves, Check out my new book: I Hate You Out Loud!

https://www.wattpad.com/story/343567451-i-hate-you-out-loud

Nicholas Pierce is the most annoying boy Émile has ever met. Everything about him annoys him. His stupid bleach blonde hair, the way he performs on stage like he's some kind of star, the way everyone just immediately loves him, the way he gets all of the attention of Émile's favorite professor. He even hates the way Nicholas's eyes turn stormy grey every time he looks at him. He hates the way Nicholas makes him feel, but he can't seem to stay away from him. Émile Laurents is a second year Lighting Design Major at the University of North Carolina School for the Arts. Son of a real estate agent and internationally recognized oil painter he's never had trouble getting what he wanted. Things have always come easy to him - except Nicholas Pierce.Nicholas Pierce is a freshman Musical Theatre Major from small town Hillsborough, NC. He doesn't know a whole lot about the world outside of his hometown. He finds himself in over his head as he goes from leading man to a big fish is an even bigger pond. He's way too talented for his own good and unfortunately needs Emile's help to stay on top.

Thanks for reading!

xxx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.6K 308 18
❝Imagine if I, the little shy son, was gay. He'd shoot me, while looking at me in the eyes, with a sick smile on his face. I know it.❞ Louis is in lo...
21.6K 477 48
An au where nineteen year old Harry Styles is a college going student. He's silent,likes to be neat and clean always, but isn't as innocent as he loo...
7.8K 541 17
When Harry gets kicked out, he meets Zayn. He and Zayn falls deeply in love with each other but no one approves. What will happen? Will they let ever...
232K 9K 25
I honestly could never tell you what really might have drawn me to him. It could have been the way his blood smelled, or his pretty face. I would nev...