Songs of Innocence

By Feenfiction

Nightmares, horrors, evils beyond anything the world has seen... and a socially awkward unicorn. When Innocen... More

Prologue: A Cautionary Tale
Chapter 1: The Shadow Over Ponyville
Chapter 2: Soft Interrogation
Chapter 3: Foreshock
Chapter 4: The Phantom and the Night-Mare
Chapter 5: Reaper's Got Your Name
Chapter 6: Clear Your Mind
Chapter 7: Fear in the Unknown
Chapter 8: Witching Hour
Chapter 9: Mother of Insidiousness
Chapter 10: Cry For the Moon
Chapter 11: From the Angst of Lost Memories
Chapter 12: Overture (the Second Movement)
Chapter 13: The Truth is Lost
Chapter 14: Le Spectacle de Magie du Double Soleil
Chapter 15: Cat Got Your Tongue?
Chapter 16: Ponies of a Feather
Chapter 17: One Left
Chapter 18: Midnight Calling
Chapter 19: Eye of the Beast
Chapter 20: Stolen Dance
Chapter 21: Sun's Day Off From Madness
Chapter 22: The Storm Swift and The Dark Snatcher
Chapter 24: Retrocausality - The Living Time Paradox
Chapter 25: Extracurricular Activity
Chapter 26: A Farewell Gift
Chapter 27: Vanahack, the Ancient City of Water
Chapter 28: Final Hour
Chapter 29: The End of Innocence
Chapter 30: Black Hole Sun
Chapter 31: Sleepy Interlude
Chapter 32: It Gets Better
Chapter 33: Unfinished Business
Chapter 34: Lost in Wonderland
Chapter 35: Thunder Sun
Chapter 36: Two Truths and a Lie
Chapter 37: Day & Night
Chapter 38: Waking Up
Chapter 39: No Coming Home
Chapter 40: Sleepy House Over Yonder
Chapter 41: The Shadow Over Sun
Chapter 42: Pony Tales
Chapter 43: Down the Path of Rage
Chapter 44: The Second-to-Last Problem
Chapter 45: How to Adopt a Megalomaniac
Chapter 46: Luna Bay Forum
Chapter 47: Ms. Dash
Chapter 48: No More Heroes Any More
Chapter 49: My Dear Friend
Chapter 50: Blood & Darkness
Chapter 51: Exit to Paradise
Chapter 52: Ash Academy
Chapter 53: Derpy Delivers an Organ
Chapter 54: The Outer Rim of the Mind
Chapter 55: An Ivory Tower Kingdom
Chapter 56: Helter Skelter
Chapter 57: Fimbulwinter
Chapter 58: Gjallarhorn
Chapter 59: Vigrid
Chapter 60: Electric Feel
Chapter 61: Ardent Interlude
Chapter 62: Eating Crow
Chapter 63: Some Giving, But Mostly Receiving
Chapter 64: Pale Moon
Chapter 65: Morning Coffee
Chapter 66: Three Evils
Chapter 67: A Little Filly Lost
Chapter 68: Records of Time - Night of Nightmares
Chapter 69: A Nice Respite
Chapter 70: Through The Fire And Flames
Chapter 71: Party of Sun
Chapter 72: A Full Moon, Or Just A Weird Day?
Chapter 73: What Makes Life Worth Living
Chapter 74: Rebirth of the Unspeakable One
Chapter 75: Twilight Eclipse
Chapter 76: The Cake is Alive
Chapter 77: Girl From Equestria
Chapter 78: Wild Hunt
Chapter 79: Ad Astra
Chapter 80: Bury the Light
Chapter 81: Fetching Back the Time
Chapter 82: Friends From School
Chapter 83: Tapping on the Horizon's Wall

Chapter 23: Avian Ambience

6 0 0
By Feenfiction

The Castle of Friendship's library

"So, still nothing on my Element?" Sun said to Twilight with a disappointed sigh. It was more of a prediction-based statement than a question, because she already knew what the answer would probably be. 

"Well, she's trying, Sun." Spike chimed in.

"Yeah, I kn-- Wait, who are you again?"

He scoffed, "What? You don't know me? I'm Twilight's main assistant, Spike." His explanation was met with a deafening silence. "Remember? Princess Blue Moon Quartz was going to rip my wings off?"

"Ohhhhhh... Yeah, I remember that. Anyways, how's the research going, Twilight?" Sun basically shoved Spike out of her focus (figuratively speaking) to focus on why she was here.

"I'm still looking." Twilight admitted, scanning her vast collection of books for anything that could possibly have anything on the subject. She telekinetically picked one of the books from one of the highest shelves, and levitated it down, wasting no time to flip through its contents. "Let's see... Where's the index... Ah! 'Sub-Elements'-- Oh, no. That's not 'Sub-Elements', that's 'Submerged Elements'. My mistake." She continued to magically flip through the pages, looking for anything related to a "Seventh Element" or "Additional/Other Elements". 

Then, she found exactly what she was looking for. "Here it is! 'Minor Elements'! Hmm..." She began to read a passage from the section. "'It has been theorized by many that Elements exist beyond the six discovered ones, and can be somehow grown by the Tree of Harmony. This belief stemmed from the idea that the Elements of Harmony, much like literal friendships (as opposed to its magic), can be complex, and almost impossible to fully understand. As of the modern day, this theory has yet to be debunked, but no evidence points towards it being true.' Wow..."

"That makes sense." Sun commented while Twilight briefly paused. The alicorn was ecstatic, and was grinning ear-to-ear. 

"DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS?!" she yelled loudly, completely uncaring of her volume in her pure elation. Sun and Spike grinned along with her because of how palpable the alicorn's utter excitement was. She zipped towards Sun, and basically yelled in her face, "THERE'S MORE ELEMENTS!" Without even pausing to breathe, she zipped towards Spike while dragging the unicorn with her, and yelled "AND WE CAN BE THE ONES WHO DISCOVER THEM!!" She grabbed Spike too, and hugged them both extremely tightly.

"That's g-great... but can you please l-let go of me?!" Sun groaned with discomfort. She'd probably be a lot more excited if she was allowed to, instead of having the life squeezed out of her by Twilight. Spike arguably had it worse because of his tinier body. 

"O-oh... Sorry!" Twilight chuckled nervously, releasing the two from their behooved death sentence. 

Sun hacked up a lung before asking, "Uh, did it say what my Element is, though?"

"Well, since there aren't any, the book actually gives some of its own ideas. So, take your pick, Sun." Twilight pointed her hoof to a part of the page that listed off some words that could be used to name new Elements if they were to be discovered. None of them caught Sun's eye, or even really sounded related to the idea of friendship. The original six Elements were, of course, Honesty, Generosity, Loyalty, Laughter, and finally, Magic. But most of the hypothetical Elements listed in the book were only vaguely related to the idea of a social virtue, unlike the actual Elements. This wasn't a huge problem, but made it a little harder for Sun to pin down which one she thought she represented.

"Gravitas, Humility, Temperance, Tolerance, Wisdom, Passion, Freedom, Courage, Unity, Ambition, Honor, Inspiration..." Sun listed off the Elements, and stopped upon noticing one called "Forgiveness". 

"Found my Element." Sun smirked. She turned her head to look at Twilight, but the alicorn was buried deep in a book, with a fixed look of concern and focus. Sun glanced over to see what had her so worried, but she could barely make out the contents of the page before Twilight shut it closed to stop her from seeing it. A shiver ran down the princess' spine as she looked at Sun with a look of utter horror. Her pupils were near-microscopic with fear, and her lips quivered. She knew something Sun didn't.

"T-Twilight, are you okay?" Sun asked, beginning to become quite concerned herself.

"Sun... I... You need to leave. I need to think." Twilight replied calmly, barely masking the emotions that she was trying desperately to hide.

"What? Okay, but why?"

"Sun, you need to leave."

"Alright, I'll go. But-"

"Sun! Just go! NOW!" Twilight commanded, and Sun complied, fleeing the castle as soon as she could. The very second Sun left the castle's entrance, Avalonia voiced her confusion to her.

"What was her problem?"

"Yeah! It's like I'm always in a state of having things being hidden from me, or getting an answer that doesn't even make sense."

"Well, maybe it was something serious that she had a right to hide from you. We don't know."

"Yeah, but now I'm in a bad mood. You mind just summoning that one bird demon that can give me wings? I'm thinking of trying to fly home." Just like she asked for, a pair of familar black wings appeared on her sides, and Sun took to the skies, feeling lucky she was able to have Avalonia as a friend. However, Sun quickly found out that she wasn't very good at flying. In fact, she was horrible, and it was quickly becoming dangerous how incompetent she was at it. She was practically battling gravity itself every single second.

Nearby, a pegasus was lying down under a shady tree, holding a notepad and a pencil. She rose her head to the clear, blue sky as she focused, her various thoughts and new ideas accumulating. She looked back down to her notepad, and wrote,

"The light of the summer sun has passed us by, and the moon of winter has risen with its cold moonlight

We beg the sun to return and warm our frostbitten land

And when the sun finally shines down on us once again, we can finally forgive nature's brutal ways

I really hate winter if you couldn't tell by now"

"No, that's not good." she groaned, flopping backwards to rest on the tree, putting her two front hooves behind her head. She closed her eyes briefly, sighed, and opened them back up to gaze off into the blue abyss that is the sky. Amidst the unmoving clouds, she noticed a mare who was struggling to fly - frequently rising and falling in altitude as her wings flapped desperately. The observing pegasus uncaringly watched the pony struggle. However, when the pony began to dive towards the earth below, the pegasus sprung to action, and launched towards her.

The pony flailed and shrieked as she braced for impact. But then, an electric, blue, yellow, and white-colored streak zipped towards her. A pegasus appeared from the blur, and, fortunately for the mare, saved her. The pegasus carried her, and dropped her delicately onto the ground as she hyperventilated. 

"You okay?" the pegasus said, wiping sweat from her forehead, before uttering in confused realization, "Oh... You're a unicorn..." The mare took a deep breath, and nodded. "How'd you get wings?" the pegasus said in an accusatory tone, accentuating her speech by showing off her own wings as she spoke. 

The unicorn cupped her head in her hooves, and spoke, "I u-used magic..."

The pegasus chuckled softly, "You unicorns can do, like, anythin', can't ya?" With a friendly smirk, she extended her hoof to the unicorn. "Name's Tempera Ash." The unicorn sat in place, confused. After a second, she extended her hoof as well, and the two shook hooves. 

"I'm... uh... Innocent Sun." she said meekly. 

The two ended their hoofshake, and Tempera blushed, explaining, "Sorry. I just like bein' formal."

"That's okay."

Then, their back and forth was interrupted with a light breeze, accompanied with the sound of pages flapping. It was the notebook. Tempera's face went pale with horror. Without a second to pause, she turned around and dived towards it, shielding it from Sun's sight. She awkwardly chuckled, "Heheh... Sorry... It's personal stuff..." The unicorn didn't even know what she was talking about. Tempera discreetly closed the notebook as she stood back up and turned to the unicorn. 

"Hey," she asked, "are you, like, new to flyin'? I mean no offense, but it looked like you were when I saw you plummeting towards the ground. I can teach you if you want!" Sun took a second to consider it. 

"Thanks," she replied, "but I'm probably gonna be taught by Rainbow Dash. I dunno if you know h–" 

Tempera zipped towards her, delightedly interrupting her, "Rainbow Dash?! As in, like, the?!" 

The unicorn was taken aback, and corrected herself, "W-well... Yeah... I don't know if she's actually gonna teach me. She's more, like, helping me, I s'pose..." She was planning on being taught by her, but she chose to downplay it, thinking of it to be more of a friend-to-friend relationship than a teacher-to-student relationship. Tempera inched even closer to the unicorn's face. 

"Well, I wanna be helped! My skills are good... kinda... But... I wanna be taught by her! Please?" she begged.

Sun smirked lightly in sheer awkwardness, looking towards the direction of Rainbow's house as she replied, "...I'll, uh, see what I can do."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

580 0 15
The Mane 6 and Sparky wandered into the Bridlewood forest after a fun day at the beach and found the fountain that they had never seen before and the...
237K 3.4K 13
After living in Equestria with his friends for a long period of time, (Y/N) has finally gained feelings for all of the six Elements of Harmony. What...
6.9K 111 21
The first book to my "My Little Pony: The Future" fanfiction series. It is years later after season 7 of MLP, and ponies have love, jobs, and childre...
1.7K 51 6
"Maybe you should talk with her. You'll never know know if you don't try.." "She won't listen to me. She hates me. I don't want to be ignored, not ag...