The Trouble with Hades

Από xMishx

With the end of the blood war looming, Evie struggles to cope, knowing that she is untrained and not ready to... Περισσότερα

Welcome
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Bonus Chapter 1: A Sunset with Niko
Bonus Chapter 2: Lela & Levi

Chapter 16

33 6 5
Από xMishx

Once the marquee was set up, we quickly installed the air conditioning unit. The caravan was moved into place, and in the remaining area, flooring was installed.

It was long, consuming most of the width of the property. The reality of the situation was that it was the perfect size. We had space to move around in, the caravan was put at one end, and we even created a sectioned-off area for me to practice entering the portal.

It wasn't a perfect area, but it was enough. Niko was able to move outside of the caravan during daylight hours. Even the area that was shielded had a leisurely feel to it and, thankfully, didn't seem to constrict. We had to be mindful of the workers who had started the clean-up and reconstruction, so an area was created. It was a walled-off section that shielded the view of the caravan from the only entrance into the marquee. We also ensured that the walls would not fall down or blow away. I think Brad went a little crazy when he purchased extra pegs and rope. This thing was not moving.

The area was large, and I knew that it would benefit Niko a lot more than what he was ready to admit. He didn't hit his head on the ceiling of the caravan, but it was close. He always bent over when walking out of the bathroom and the back bedroom area. Like always, Niko said it was fine and that he didn't mind the situation and everything was okay. I didn't see it that way, and every time I saw him sitting at the dining table, I saw the constricting walls that seemed to creep closer each day that passed us by.

As much as the caravan was small, it wasn't that bad. I was surprised that Henry was so willing to give it away, to be honest. I'm sure that if Brad couldn't find anyone to give it to, he'd return it to Henry. And, it would be returned in a better condition than what we received it.

When the workers weren't here, and we didn't have to worry about Henry walking into the marquee to discuss something with us, Niko had the freedom to walk anywhere within it. The bonus was that all the unwanted furniture had been brought into the marquee, creating pockets of areas and giving it a more homely vibe.

The parts of the material walls that could be opened to create windows were tied down and covered with fabric. Anzide pulled on all of the ropes and pegs to ensure that it was strong enough to withstand a heavy wind.

"You know, this is large enough to create rooms."

I grinned and waggled my eyebrows at Anzide.

"That's true. I vote that you suggest it to your family and see what they say while remembering that it's just one large room, and no amount of being quiet will hide what we're doing."

I huffed and closed my eyes again.

"Okay, going in now."

"Good luck. Remember to concentrate, remember everything you've been taught. I'll be waiting for you."

This was it. My last chance at doing this with Anzide's help. As much as I was curious about my father, I didn't want to know him. The past burned holes in my heart, a pain that I wasn't sure could ever be repaired. If I didn't get this right, there would be no choice. He would be forced to enter my life and teach me what Anzide could not. There was also the whisper in my mind that if I failed, Anzide would blame himself. I didn't want that. If anything, I had to succeed so that he wouldn't try to lay blame.

Darkness shrouded me. As I opened my eyes, I felt the cool veil brush over my arms. The fog had descended. The murky view offered nothing. It was like Mother had ramped up the fog just to push me to the limit. I'm sure she meant well, but it was a pain in the backside.

Focusing my mind, I urged the boat to turn and move. I could not feel Anzide's presence, and it was disarming for me. He was my beacon, and it was like he wasn't here even though he said that he would be waiting. No matter where I searched, I could not find him or the island. I was lost and morose thoughts began to consume and dominate. The boat moved, but I knew it was floating aimlessly. I was failing despite the focus I held.

"Half an hour," Mother called out in the darkness. "The time allocated for finding the island port is over."

"Half an hour is hardly enough," I grumbled.

The boat moved with speed, knocking me off the seat. The water that sloshed around the sides of the boat gave way to the sand. I sat up, faced with a glowering old woman.

"It should take a minute at most." she snapped harshly. "You have been given more than necessary, and I have been far too lenient. Go home and wait for your creator. He will be sent to you, and pray that you learn faster than you have in the past because my patience has worn thin."

Instead of shuffling away, Mother disappeared. Anzide helped me stand up.

"Sorry," he murmured.

"For what?"

"I know that she shielded me. She said it was for your own good and that I had to accept that this was how it had to be."

"It's not your fault. You tried to teach me. Why did she hide you?"

"Because you need to learn to find this port without me as your beacon. What if you come here without me?"

"I won't."

Anzide frowned at me as if to say that it was foolish to think that he'd always be by my side. I'd like to think that he would be.

"Come on, let's go home and warn everyone that we're about to get a visitor."

We reappeared on the little cushions in our mediation area.

"What do you think about that?"

I shrugged as I stood.

"Conflicted. He killed my mother, but a part of me wants to know what he's like."

"Hoping for a jerk so that you feel okay when he leaves?"

"Yeah, maybe."

Anzide gave me an uneasy smile, and it was then that I knew that my father was not a jerk. I had a feeling that this was not going to be what I expected it to be.

Everyone was seated in the outdoor setting when we emerged. Hope was on their faces, but that soon changed when faced with my disappointment.

"So, be prepared to meet my father. They're sending him here to teach me."

"I know that you don't agree with us, but it is for the best." Niko offered.

I nodded.

Anzide shifted to face the internal door, which was the only thing that stopped a visitor from seeing Niko.

"We have company."

Well, that was fast. I'm sure Mother had him waiting in the portal, expecting that I'd fail.

Brad stood and walked through the door. I stood behind it, listening to what was going on.

"Henry,"

"Uh, hey Brad. There's a guy out here that says he's here to see Evelyn. Says he's her dad."

It sounded almost as if he was worried that this was not a good situation. Maybe he thought that I lived with Brad for a reason and was now concerned that he might have to call Larry to intervene.

"Yeah, it's okay. Send him in."

I looked at Anzide. He gave me a warm smile that I guess was his way of reassuring me. My stomach was turning itself over, making life difficult for me.

"Is it him? Is this really my father or another imposter?"

"Now that we know the truth about you, we can see everything. We are no longer blinded by the belief that you're a landbound immortal."

Brad appeared at the doorway, holding back the scrap of material that was more of an annoyance than a shield.

"Be brave and say hello. Ask him questions and learn the truth, but do not assume that you know it. There are only two people who can tell you what went on between your parents, one is dead, and the other is just a few steps away. Would you like me to go with you?"

I nodded. Brad stepped aside, holding the material up for me to pass through. Anzide was a step behind, mostly because I'd taken his hand and would not let go.

A tall man stood in the middle of the area, dressed in slacks and a skivvy. It was a black-on-black combination that made his fair skin and auburn hair stand out. He smiled, but it was reserved, probably full of fear that I'd react harshly.

"Hello, Evelyn. I am Carsten, your father."

I smiled weakly as my hello escaped. Carsten turned his attention to Anzide, and with a nod, he continued to Brad.

"You must be Bradley. Nancy talked about you a lot. Thank you for taking care of Evelyn after Nancy's passing."

"Uh yeah, no problem."

"I understand that this is not an easy situation, Evelyn, but those who manage the portal have ruled that you must learn how to navigate it efficiently. I wanted to honor your request that I stay out of your life, but they insisted that it was not open for negotiation. With that in mind, I suggest that we get the education done quickly, and then I can leave you to continue with your life without my interference."

Brad turned to look at me. His eyebrows raised, and his eyes widened. The wordless message that I should maybe rethink that idea and try again.

"I've already been to the portal today, and I'm weak from it."

Carsten nodded quietly.

"Maybe we can talk."

"You have questions?"

I nodded. Yes, I had questions. Maybe he had the answers.

Brad and Anzide left us, returning to the area behind the wall. I gestured to the lounges.

"This is quite a setup you've got here."

"Newly installed. We've got issues,"

"Evelyn," Carsten interrupted. "Forgive me, but when whispers began to grow in the portal surrounds, I made a few inquiries."

"Whispers?"

"The unknown entity that ordered the Nephilim around as if she were the one that controlled them. The one that barked orders at them, stood her ground, flattened the very same ground, and unfortunately, the house as well. The Nephilim are a stubborn bunch, and I'd suggested that I might be the father of this person but they claimed to have the right person, so I was sent on my way. I happened to cross paths with someone that you might know—Renuge. He said that he's never met anyone quite like you and that in many ways, he was reminded of me."

Carsten smiled as he looked at the shock on my face.

"Mother said something like that yesterday."

"Well, of course she would. She knows her own child."

"What?"

"You weren't told? That happens quite a lot, but Mother is actually my mother and your grandmother. The portal is full of beings that are related to or know someone, somewhere in some roundabout way. It is widely believed that at some point in the distant future, we will hit the limit, and it will become necessary to seek out partners from other sources. I think that is why they were so lenient on you."

"And not my people skills?"

Carsten smiled. I had to admit he was easy to talk to.

"So, you made inquiries?"

"Yes. I knew you existed, but I didn't know where you were. It is extremely difficult to find an underaged being regardless of their species. Your mother was determined to hide, though I don't know her reasons."

"Drakkus."

"No, not in that respect."

Carsten inhaled deeply, slowly letting the air out.

"I will take you back to the beginning so that you understand everything. Are you ready to hear about the past, Evelyn?"

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

Solar Reign Από Emi

Φαντασίας

9.9K 908 34
Andorra is Queen. Everything should be perfect, now that she has her own Royal Council, Prince Anders is dead, and she feels closer to Noah than ever...
163K 6.5K 158
Title: i became a god in horror games After losing his job Bai Liu became involved with an unstoppable horror live streaming game full of various mon...
435K 5.9K 11
*Award winning novel* *Featured in Wattpad Vampire from Aug 2015 - Aug 2017.* "I couldn't put it down! Every chapter left me wanting more!" - Reader...
24.9K 2.7K 26
[Ex Map to Anywhere] [LONGLIST ONC2020] When humanity is threatened by extinction, two enemies have to work together. She's the last Seer, with the m...