The Trouble with Hades

By xMishx

With the end of the blood war looming, Evie struggles to cope, knowing that she is untrained and not ready to... More

Welcome
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Bonus Chapter 1: A Sunset with Niko
Bonus Chapter 2: Lela & Levi

Chapter 13

39 6 4
By xMishx

Stepping beyond the fence line was always done with trepidation. Sometimes, it would only be minor. Other times, it would be large. Leaving the safety of the property after seeing what the vampires would do to us was not easy. When I watched Niko and Brad leave to feed, I always worried. Fear would consume me that the vampires would try to kill Niko again.

Anzide suggested a walk through the forest to calm my mind before making another attempt to reach the portal by myself. Mother was impatient, and I was taking too long. Drastic measures would be taken if I didn't improve. So, this was Anzide's answer.

Shade lowered the temperature. I knew it would be cooler, but there was a chill that warranted at least a light cardigan or jacket. I'd left the caravan, not thinking about it. It was a foolish move, and now I paid the price for it.

Anzide held my hand as we walked through the vegetation. We were off the track for a few steps but soon turned onto another path.

It was nice to get away from the constricting caravan. The thought of everyone being trapped in the caravan just made my mind spiral out of control. It was my fault. Sure, things were getting out of hand, but I let the emotions take control. I should have remembered that it was my emotions that caused Andross to burn.

"Maybe we should try and find a second caravan."

Anzide stopped and looked at me. I suppose that my random statement was confusing, given that I was supposed to be relaxing and clearing my mind.

"It's a little crowded," I muttered.

"I know, but I don't think that you're going to find another one in this town. Even if one could be purchased, I think you might get outvoted. What brought this on? Why is the marquee not enough?"

"It's hot. Soon, it's going to be cold. We wouldn't be in this nightmare if I could control myself. The shed is so full of furniture that it's about to explode. Then there's all the stuff still sitting on the lawn. You know it's going to start raining again really soon, right?"

Anzide sighed, pulling me into his arms.

"Don't worry about the furniture. I have it on good authority that someone wanted to replace a lot of things anyway. What's gone into the shed are the things that have been agreed would be kept, and the items on the lawn are things that are not wanted. Trust me when I say that those who you are most concerned about are, in fact, the least worried about those things."

Leaning back, I looked up at Anzide.

"You worry needlessly."

"Promise?"

"Absolutely."

"Well, okay then. If you're wrong, you'll be in trouble."

Anzide chuckled, then took my hand again.

Walking through the forest was an odd kind of relaxation. The sunlight filtered through the canopy like gold rays, giving it a magical vibe. It was a mixture of varied-sized trees, deciduous and evergreen. I'd learned that from Niko.

Inhaling deeply, I drew in the divine scent of the pine trees. It was always going to be the marker of this place and this time in my life. The incredible memory of this place and the family that I'd been given.

Stopping, I looked to my right. I could feel something. Almost like I was being drawn to the witch's ring. I'd never felt anything like it before, and I was curious and anxious.

The ring was like a consuming vice around me. Vines wrapped around me, slithering over my skin and creeping higher. Constricting me until it covered me entirely.

Anzide shifted to face me, distress rippling through his features.

"Evie?"

"The ring," I whispered.

Then I turned to the path. There was a lure that was enticing. The closer I got to the ring, the more the veil relented on me. It was like the witch's ring was calling me, commanding that I approached it.

"I'd rather we didn't go there."

"I know, but I just feel drawn to it."

"It could unbalance you."

"It's fine, drama queen."

Anzide huffed, following me along the path. When we reached the witches' ring, I could feel the energy.

"Do you feel that?"

"Yeah," Anzide said in wonder. "It's raw power emanating from the circle. It feels like there's a large wall around it."

His hand reached up like it was pressed to an invisible wall.

"It's never been like this."

"No,"

Anzide turned to face me again. This time there was a vast difference from his previous concern. His eyes shifted in all directions, turning to look around but never letting go of my hand. The free hand was still pressed to an invisible wall, pushing against it as if there was something physically stopping him.

"It's been used recently."

"Mardyl?"

"No. He left town not long after the incident. This," he paused, glancing back at the ring. "This was used by a woman."

"How can you tell?"

He shifted behind me, resting his hands on my shoulders.

"Close your eyes, focus on the power that you feel. Let it soak into your body and consume you. Can you feel the incantations?"

I did as Anzide suggested and let the power into me. When I actually submitted to the ring's power, the constriction changed. Now, it was like a soft veil that floated over my body, wrapping around me before slowly seeping into me. The power focused on my arms, hands, and fingers. It didn't take long before the veil changed and turned into little tendrils that emerged from my fingers. They searched. They found.

"It was a woman," I whispered, opening my eyes. "And she's still here."

"Ooh-kay. That means we're leaving."

Anzide turned me around and pushed me away from the ring. His hands on my shoulders were not as relaxing as I'd like them to be. It was the shortest walk back to the property, and I knew that Anzide had a lot to do with it. My feet probably weren't on the ground at all.

Opening the caravan door, he frowned as his head flicked. Restraining my distaste, I climbed up the metal stairs, greeted by Niko.

"You're back early. How was the walk?"

"Witchy."

The smile dropped, and Niko frowned at us.

"What does that mean?"

"Evie was drawn to the ring because it had just been used. I think that we disturbed the witch because Evie said that she found her."

"Found her?"

"Yeah," I said, sitting next to Beatrice at the dining table. "I could feel the power. Anzide said the witch was female, and he showed me how to search for the power. I searched, and I found her. Then we left because Anzide freaked out."

"Witches are dangerous," he grumbled.

"They are," Niko responded. "But it can depend on the circumstances. Most will not engage by choice. If you didn't see her, then that is the reason. She chose to hide until you left. They will lead a quiet, almost hermit lifestyle to avoid any confrontational situations. Many suggest that the past haunts them, ingrained into those who survived, and passed down through the generations, but the reality is that witches have always been a solitary race. Of course, that doesn't mean to say that they won't seek out a partner to love, create a family, or even have friends. Those that do venture beyond the norm always keep the circle tight."

Niko shifted forward as he leaned on the table. The frown deepened.

"Please listen to me carefully. We will not engage the services of a witch that uses black magic. It is a path that is complicated and unnecessary. Your skills will be more than enough."

I scoffed, rolling my eyes.

"Yeah, provided that I can actually learn something. I'm still trying to get to the portal by myself."

"Mother is not a happy lady." Anzide offered with a grin.

Niko leaned back, glancing at Anzide.

"There is only so much time that they will grant her before they deem your lessons to be unworthy. When that happens, Evelyn, you might be faced with a situation that you do not like. Those that oversee the portal do not like novices, nor do they like the untrained to take weeks to learn something that should be ingrained in them."

"How do you know so much?" I asked.

Niko dragged a book out from the pile, pushing it to me. It was one of the many books that James had given me. The demon was a hard ass, too.

"This is your father's fault. He would know that you exist. Perhaps he does not know where you are but would know you're alive. Isn't that right, Anzide?"

I looked at him as he nodded, giving me a grim smile.

"Those that manage the portal would have hauled him in already. It is surprising that they haven't suggested that he takes over."

"They have. I said that Evie doesn't want to know about her father because of the whole killing her mother thing. They accepted it but only on the proviso that I can get the education done within a certain timeframe."

"How long have I got?"

"Friday."

Two days. Two whole days.

"How come you didn't tell me?" I snapped.

"Because you've been doing really well. Mother said that you're almost there. I didn't think you'd have issues because you are actually reaching the portal by yourself."

I sighed, sinking back into the seat. Yes, I reach the portal every time, but that boat is still too slow.

"Until you complete the entire process efficiently, they deem you incompetent. That means that no matter how easily you can get to the portal, you're still burdened by the delay once you're in there."

"They see it as one whole process?"

Anzide nodded.

"Well, I guess we'd better get on with it," I muttered, getting up from the table.

Stepping out of the caravan, I felt the cool breeze whip past me. Temporary covers had been put up, creating a lot of shade over the caravan, but it was still warm in there.

The gap between the caravan and the walled area was only small, but it was enough to be exposed. As soon as I stepped out from the cover of the caravan, I could feel something watching me.

"Anzide, I don't think we're alone."

He looked at the forest and frowned.

"I can feel something out there, but unless I go and actually look, I won't know for certain. That means that I'd have to leave you to sit and twiddle your thumbs while you wait for me to return. So, what's more important? The silent stalker or the portal?"

Huffing in frustration, I walked to the walled area.

"The choices are the witch who has decided to check us out and make sure we're not a threat, a minion of Drakkus, or Drakkus himself."

"None of which are good, right?"

Anzide shrugged.

"All have their pros and cons."

"Drakkus will see me coming out of the portal in my weakened state. That's not good."

"But the good thing is that he won't know what you get up to while you're in there."

Pulling the cover over the gap, Anzide enclosed us into the little room that would hopefully shield me from those who watched from the forest. The bonus of the situation was that once I actually entered the portal, I did not have a worldly presence. It was a perk of actually being capable of getting into the portal myself. I had control over my body and mind, meaning that I could actually bring my body to the portal rather than just my mind.

With positive thoughts, I sat down and tried to calm myself down. The figure in the forest didn't matter. All that I had to concern myself with was getting to the portal and to Mother as quickly as possible.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.5K 431 42
Adelaide Blanc was raised alongside Drackenridge's Princess Cecily, knowing one day she'd become captain of the princess's guard. However, Adelaide's...
380K 9.2K 42
(Y/N) (L/N) is a half - Veela , so when she got a Hogwarts letter she wasn't exactly surprised . When she boards the Hogwarts express for the first t...
196K 4.2K 45
River Blackburn is a new intern at Seattle Grace Hospital. Follow her journey with her fellow interns throughout her career and life. Experience all...
273K 6.1K 40
"She used to play, Guy. And from what I can tell, she was good!" "How it that possible, Char? She can hardly walk." "I don't know. But I'll be damned...