Tension (Steve Harrington)

By 3609starky

Lauren Hopper was living her somewhat normal life. She was only starting to feel like herself again a year pr... More

Season One
Chap. 1; Adventures In Babysitting
Chap. 2; Parties Suck
Chap. 3; The Blond and the Brunette
Chap. 4; Smokin'
Chap. 5; Nancy the Slut Wheeler
Chap. 6; The Bathtub
Chap. 7; The Upside‐Down
Chap. 8; The Rightside-Up
Chap. 9; Leave
Chap. 10; Another Poject
Chap. 11; Thank God It's Over
Season 2
Chap. 12; The Night We Met
Chap. 13; Friday Night Lights
Chap. 14; Fourth Visit is the Charm
Chap. 15; MADMAX
Chap. 16; Trick or Drink, Bitch
Chap. 17; 9 to 5
Chap 18; Dumpster Divers
Chap. 19; A How Many Mile Treck
Chap. 20; The Mind Flayer
Chap. 21; That's A Weird Question
Chap. 22; Second Annual
Chap. 23; Night At The Theater
Chap. 24; Last Christmas
Chap. 25; Well Shit
Chap. 26; December 25 1984
Chap. 27; Just
Chap. 28; Valentines
Chap. 29; All Hide No Seek
Chap. 30; The Guide to The Perfect Weekend
Chap. 31; Steve.
Chap. 32; B-23
Chap. 33; Mr. Harrington
Chap. 34; Every Goddamn Person
Chap. 35; In or Out
Chap. 36; Seventeen Candles
Chap. 37; Prom
Season 3
Chap. 38; American Kids
Chap. 39; Sick of this Shit
Chap. 40; Assets
Chap. 41; Summer Nights
Chap. 42; The Case of the Evil Russins Invading Indiana
Chap 43; amErica
Chap. 44; Down, Down, To Goblin Town
Chap. 45; July 4th aka Imprisonment Day
Chap. 46; Back Together Again
Chap. 47; All the King's Horses and All Lauren's Men
Chap. 48; Shit Hits The Mindflayer
Chap. 49; Wake up, Come On Wake Up
Chap. 50; Dear...
Chap. 51; The Flood Gates Are Opened
Season 4
Chap. 52; Picture Perfect
Chap. 54; Parties Suck pt.2
Chap. 55; Happiness or Lack Thereof
Chap. 56; Senior Year
Chap 57; Weekend From Hell
Chap. 58; The Brunet and the Bruette That's New

Chap. 53; Blue Looks Good on You

193 6 0
By 3609starky

The meeting with Lincoln High School a week ago was by far the worst possible situation when I came to Lauren's school plans. Nearly eight credits didn't transfer so any chance of her graduating a semester earlier like she was going to was out the fucking window. She had to retake algebra two, which she took in the eighth grade and decided what extra-curricular she needed to as for whatever reason she was required to.

On top of everything getting ahold of Eleven was nearly impossible moving wasn't exactly an ideal time to talk on the phone. Steve's and her had called each other and talked every day despite the annoying remakes from Diane. It was pretty apparent that honeymoon acting like she wanted her here for Bill sake was over. In the previous week, Lauren began to box up Sara's things she just put in the back of the closet, not wanting to get rid of them. The bed was less than fit for a teenage girl, so Bill came with her to get a bed and a mattress.

Her was shitty among everyone she missed her dad so much it hurt every moment she couldn't go run. I'm his room, lay down next to him, and stare at the popcorn ceiling. The fact that school wasn't set to start for six weeks sounded like hell. She need a job when she set out she had no luck considering she didn't really try she had no motivation the sun was down so she wanted to be asleep the light on the street though were hardly out.

Lauren pulled open to a liquor store a decent walk from the hell that was the apartment she had to be in with her mother. Steve had to mail her her wallet because she left her backpack, and waiting for that seemed like an eternity. When she got it, the first thing she made sure she had was her fake ID. Living with the father of a church removed alcohol from the apartment entirely. She would have gotten it sooner it wasn't exactly hard to get alcohol without a fake, but that was in Indiana, the last thing Lauren wanted to do was get arrested her first week back in New York.

Walking down the isles, there were hundreds of bottles of alcohol but Lauren went straight for a bottle of vodka. Ignoring every other person in the store, she set it on the counter, grabbing a pack of corn nuts. She handed him her card and a ten dollar bill.

"Indiana? You're a hell of a way from home, huh?"

"Tell me about it." The man handed Lauren the card back taking the money. "Keep the change." Lauren grabbed the corn nuts, shoving them into her pocket before taking the cap of the bottle tossing in the bin as she walked out the door. The glass pressed against her lips as the liquor filled her mouth and was gulped down. The bottle came down while Lauren scrunched her face at the less than desirable taste.

She was going to finish before she got home that was the plan considering she throught the cap away. There was a bench beside a little dinner on her walk, so she stopped to sit down, taking another gulp as big as she could without upchucking the liquid immediately. The half pint bottle was nearly halfway gone in the five minutes she's had it.

Lauren sat and watched people come and go as she drank shamefully on the bench dimly lit by a blue neon sign. Sip after sip got easier and made her slip away from all her thoughts. Her head rests in her legs, pulled to her chest, the bottle tight to her body nearly empty.

As the night went on, the people passing by slowly decreased with less and less. The empty bottle sat on the ground while Lauren remained in a position of comfort. The bell for the dinner rang as someone walked out. Lauren watched as the man walked out and passed here and continued to till he turned around ten feet from her. The man sat down next to her making her move way slightly.

"Please don't kidnap me. I really don't like being tied up."

"And where the hell did you get that idea?"

"I don't know. You're a grown man I'm a teenage girl." The man with dark skin and salt and peppered face scruff glanced down to the liquor bottle.

"Didn't know teenage girls were allowed to drink alcohol."

"Shit, are you a cop? Like I said, I'll come peacefully. Just don't put my in cuffs." Lauren sighed full heartedly, believing what she had put to into together.

"Hell no. I ain't no cop. I have a daughter, and I wouldn't want her sitting drunk on a bench out here. People in this city are crazy." The man stood up reaching out for Lauren's hand. Setting each foot down one at a time slowly, she took it.

The hand of the man pushed the door open to the dinner they sat outside of. The diner resembles that of every one's she had been in before. It's slightly rundown but with a touch of a surreal feeling. Lauren sat down, but the man went behind the counter and grabbed a glass of water. "Here, drink this."

"I- I don't wanna,"

"What's your name."

"Lauren."

"Lauren, drink the damn water." Lauren pulled the water to her mouth, taking a large gulp.

"You just... take in every druck kid on the street?" The man scoffed, leaning it sit comfortably in his seat.

"I'd have no free time. This city is full of drunk idiots. "

"So why am I here? Being drunk alone was nice."

"Why are you getting drunk?" Lauren looked at the man into his dark brown eyes. Her lips pushed out slightly in an involtarty pout.

"Why does anyone get drunk, mister?" Je shrugged.

"I know why I get drunk. Sally and Bob know why they get drunk. You know why you get drunk."

"Life's shitty."

"Is for everyone."

"I don't see why you're criticising my own choices. Or why you stopped and started talking to me if this is all you're going to do."

"You need help." Lauren groaned as her head fell back.

"No, you're not one of those people that think it's your job to fix people's lives, do you, because I'm not interested. My life is fine. Getting drunk every now and again is not your problem." His hand pushed the glass back over to her hand.

"Drink you water." Lauren listened and took another drink. "Why are you getting drunk?" While setting her glass down, she pretty much ignored what she was just saying to him.

"My dad's dead."

"Mine too. It's hard. I'm sorry, honey. I get easier, you know?" Lauren sighed her eyes dancing across the room.

"I don't know. Maybe in a year."

"What's in a year."

"I get go home," a smile spead across both Lauren and the man's face.

"Where's home?"

"Indiana."

"I'm from Georgia. It's hard being away. Why are you way from home?"

"My mother, she's Satan." Another chuckle escaped the man. "It not funny. You know what is funny she's Satan, but she's married to a priest. It was ironic that she'd married again and had another kid, but the only thing she ever wanted was him. Now he's gone, and I'm with her. I don't understand why."

"Honey, you lost me a little bit there."

"It's nothing, really. Just me drunk and rambling."

"How's she Satan?"

"Umm, it's a long story."

"I've got all night."

"Don't you have a daughter to get to."

"No, my daughters are off with her own daughters now." Lauren smiled and sighed. She felt like opening up to this random stranger. On one side, she'd probably never see him again on the other she'll never see him again.

"I hope I have daughters. You know? Braid there little hair dance with them." The worlds that came out of her mouth were completely different what she was going to say but thus was still another truth. "I want a son or two too. I have these little boys, there like my little brother God I love 'em. Eventually, I want my own."

"Eventually. Don't start too early they're a handful." He chuckled, making Lauren chuckle. That was easily years away, but she really hadn't thought about that ever the fact that she said that was a mystery to herself. A few years ago, she didn't even see a future in general, let alone want one. It was kind of nice.

"You work here?" The man with the mustache and a light beard looked around tapping the table.

"Unfortunately. My degree didn't get me very far. Fortunately, for you were hiring."

"How did you know I was...?"

"I have a degree in behavioral psychology."

"So you read me? Is that why you bought me in here?"

"I read that you were a smart girl struggling, thought I'd help you out." His stood up extending a hand, Lauren took it without hesitation. "See, smart girl knows when to take an opportunity."

"Are you real?"

"Real, and really damn tired, so I'm going to get you this job so I can go home. And you go home even if that means being with Satan." Lauren looked the man in the eyes as they walked past the counter.

"I don't think you're real."

"I'm real, Lauren." The kitchen door opened, and in came the two.

"The hell is this?"

"A new waitress."

"Don't need a new waitress."

"Damn, you're a comedian."

"Whatever, just come in tomorrow when I give a shit." Lauren looked over to the man he didn't seem fazed.

"Come on, kid." He let Lauren walk out of the kitchen before he followed. "He's an asshole but it's an okay job."

"Thank you. Tomorrow will you be here?"

"Yes, I'm I here every day. And I will see you tomorrow, right?"

"Yes. You will."

About sixteen hours had passed, and Lauren walked into diner. She really had no idea what she was doing she had never worked in a restaurant, and the night prior wasn't exactly the clearest picture in her mind. If the job was real, well, she'd take it. If it wasn't, she would just go on the look for another. It wasn't exactly a witch hunt they were kind of everywhere. This one just kind of fell into her lap.

A curly haired girl turned around frantically with a smile on her face. "Welcome, sit down anywhere. I'll be with you in just a second." She yelled to Lauren as she set drinks down on the table for the men sitting there.

"I'm actually here for a job." The curly hair flew back over her shoulder, making her drop her tray with nothing but a few plastic containers.

"I knew it. I'm getting fired." She said as if she was about to start crying. Lauren knelt down, helping her pick the stuff up.

"I'm not taking your job. I don't think." Lauren stood up, making she the girl didn't need anymore help.

"Oh, thank god." Her hand held her chest with relief. "I'll get Harrison." The place was called Harrison's, so Lauren was smart enough to put two and two together.

"What?" The gray-haired man walked out of the kitchen door.

"I was here last night with a man." The man did not look amused in the slightest. "He was older. He works here."

"Richie?" Lauren shrugged, making him roll his eyes, wavering her into the kitchen. Lauren followed him, walking past a bustling but somewhat empty kitchen. "So your hours are up to you until school starts." Harrison stopped talking to look at her while he was digging through a cabinet. "You're a student, right?"

"Yes, I am."

"Weather you work before or after school is up to me. I'm going to be quick with the rules. If you don't like them, go find a job somewhere else." He had blue fabric in his hands. "Do a spin real quick." Lauren looked at him for a second before she spun around. "You can fit a small."

"I'm more of a med-"

"You'll fit a small." He handed her the uniform before he started walking around as she walked behind him. "You're coming on as a waitress. You also bus tables and atart coffee. It's an easy job, really. Take orders being them to the kitchen and tell them they cook up your food. The item list is brought to the table, where they bring it to the counter. Which is where you turn it into a receipt and take their money, hear me?"

"Yep." They went into a small back office.

"You work when you are clocked in, I don't want any bullshit please." The please didn't seem very sincere, but nothing he said really seemed like it. "Be here on time. You don't leave early. Do as you're told. We slit tips evenly. Don't take it all for yourself. Do you have everything so I can legally employ you." He sat down in a chair behind a desk.

"Yeah, I got everything."

"Go to the backroom and put your uniform on. I get everything figured out." He waved her in the direction of the room outside the door.

"Oh, I'm starting like today."

"Yes."

"I'm not getting trained or?"

"Do you see Sydney? She's not training anybody. You'll be fine, don't make anyone mad." He waved her away. "Close the door behind you." Lauren made her way out of the room, and the man from the night before was smiling at her from behind the grill.

"Glad you came, kid." Lauren smiled back at him, asking her way into the room to change. The room had one side of lockers, the other with cleaning supplies. Lauren pulled her skirt down, then pulled off her sweater, replacing them with a tight blue uniform dress.

A mirror on the door later Lauren move the dress to fit her some what right. Her boobs were pushed together. It wasn't much needed she already had big enough boobs this dress made them look even bigger. Other than that, the uniform didn't look all too bad other than the length.

The curly haired girl opened the door, making Lauren step back. "Crap, I'm sorry."

"You're alright. I thought I locked it."

"Oh, it's broken." She sighed. "Blue looks good on you."

"Thank you. I'm Lauren, by the way."

"Sydney." She smiled. "He's really not that bad by the way he gets better." Lauren didn't know what to think about that. It's not like she hadn't dealt with worse people. The only thing she was going to have to fight was the edge to not stab a butter knife through his karated artery. "Am I training you?" Lauren's lips rolled back with a deep breath.

"He said I didn't need one."

"Oh, that's weird. I had to train for like a month." She said to herself but audible dor Lauren to her making Lauren shrug.

"Weird."

The girls made the way out of the room and into the main area behind the counter, which Sydney started making a new thing of decaf-coffee while the only two tables of people talked amongst themselves. "You look familiar. Do you go to Lincoln?"

"I will in the fall."

"So you just moved here?" Lauren nodded, making the girl bite the inside of her cheek.

"Well, moved back. I used to get to East Elementary if that helps."

"I did, too. Were we friends because my goodness you looks so familiar."

"I don't know. I'm Lauren Hopper. If that rings any bells?"

"Oh my god, yes. I'm Sydney Hugeber, we were in that little group Charlie and Stephen, Alice, and all of them." Lauren smiled at her, getting on in return.

"I know Charlie moved, but you still hang out with all of them?" The girls scoffed, shaking her head.

"No, I do not. After you and Charlie moved, we kind of feel apart. Stephen, he's taking care of his mom, Alice. Well, she has two kids." Lauren's eyes grew wide. "Yeah, Jacob got her pregnant when we were going into our freshman year."

"So are her and Jacob together?"

"No, Jacob is actually in jail. I do not know why?"

"That's fucking crazy. I was only gone for a couple of years. And you're not friends with any of them anymore?"

"No, not anymore, I don't have too many friends anymore." Lauren smiled at him.

"Hey, quality over quantity."

"Oh yes, one hundred they are great guys and good friends." The sound the coffee machine was making told Sydney there was not much more water to go through the filter, so she lifted the lid letting the steam cascade out. "I think you would look cute either one of them, actually."

"I have a boyfriend." The girl looked over he shoulder as she dropped the filter in the trash.

"Damn already."

"No in Indiana."

"Oh, is that like hard?" Sydney continued the conversation, grabbing much under the counter.

"Yeah, I little bit we keep missing each other." Lauren was watching as the girl grabbed the coffee pot's handle. "Wait, I'm sorry. What are you doing?"

"Getting them more coffee and trying not to brake something in the meantime."

"Why don't you just take the pot they already have mugs." Lauren suggested as it was the only way she had ever seen it done in a dinner.

"No, that's I didn't think off." Sydney set the pot back down, putting the mugs back. "I swear I'm not this stupid." She said as she began to walk to the table of men. Though she didn't stop talking to Lauren as she made her way. "This job makes my brain go out the window."

Lauren sat back while Sydney filled up the two tables coffee. The door rang with an older man and his wife. "Sit anywhere we'll be right with you." Sydney said she was busy, and Lauren wasn't, but the fact that she hadn't been trained was a little trippy. Lauren stared at Sydney as she started coming back to the with a triumphant smile. "I didn't back anything." She looked over her shoulder to the couple. "Your first customer."

"Me, I don't know what time doing." The girl threw her hands up slightly before taking Lauren's hand. She might not have been good at it, but she knew what to do. Lauren's hand un hers she pulled her out and around the counter.

"Here, take this, Lauren." Lauren grabbed the paper pad that was being forced into her hand. Sydney stood behind Lauren, waiting for her to start. Lauren not only couldn't think of what to say, her mind seemed to forget words as a whole. "Welcome to Ha-" Sydney urged quietly in her ear.

"Welcome to Harrisons. What can I get you started with?" Sydney softly hit her shoulder.

"We want a what milkshake was it, honey?" The man asked the woman.

"What!?" She yelled back at him.

"What milkshake, sweetie?"

"Cherry!" Lauren couldn't hold back a smile at both the order, but how cute the couple was.

"We want a cherry milkshake, please."

"Okay, anything else?" Lauren asked, writing down the request.

"No, that will be it for my birthday girl!" The man exclaimed, holding the hand of his wife with a toothless smile. Lauren turned around and nearly melted. Sydney seemed to do the same thing.

"If I don't have that, I don't want anything." Sydney said a huge smile on her face.

"Right." Lauren followed Sydney behind the counter, feeling as if this was a relationship she would want to rekindle. If she only had one friend this while time, she'd want it to be her.

A.N.

I'm sorry this is short. I'm really busy right now and can literally only write right before I go to sleep. But I'm trying to get as many chapters written as a can, but this one was boring, so I had no motivation to do it, sorry. I'll try to get 'em out faster.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.9K 237 15
Jim Hopper's niece, Delilah Hopper, moved to Hawkins after her parents died in a fire. Delilah was sent to live with Hopper after the accident and sh...
53.2K 2.4K 8
DISCONTINUED. ❝ WE'RE YOUNG! WE'RE SUPPOSED TO RAISE SOME HELL! ❞ When a supernatural rift in Valerie Fairchi...
10.7K 247 41
my first story :D is about max mayfield and daniel harrington Daniel Harrington is a popular rich boy of 12 years old because of his older brother St...
27.7K 622 12
TW! Language ❛ I thought I hated you, so why do I love you? ❜ PREVIEW: The old Hawkins Highschool king falls in love with the freak of the school. St...