Surge Squadron: Defective

By Calyypso_Official

During the creation of a batch of clones, a generation system was hit, sending a surge throughout the entire... More

Prologue: The Power Surge
Chapter One: The Client
Chapter Two: Sentenced
Chapter Three: A Promise
Chapter Four: Separate Lives
Chapter Five: Races and Chases
Chapter Six: The Deal
Chapter Seven: The "Mission"
Chapter Eight: The Surgery
Chapter Nine: Stepping into the Light
Chapter Ten: New Perspective on Life
Chapter Eleven: In the Sights of Destiny
Chapter Twelve: A New Namesake
Chapter Thirteen: The Peacemaker
Chapter Fourteen: Sharp Talons
Chapter Fifteen: The Investigation
Chapter Seventeen: Comfort in Abnormality
Chapter Eighteen: The Confrontation
Chapter Nineteen: A Developing Schism
Chapter Twenty: Adjustments
Chapter Twenty-one: Bred to Compete
Chapter Twenty-two: Positive Intent; Twisted Measures
Chapter Twenty-three: One Crucial Detail
Chapter Twenty-four: The Deviant
Chapter Twenty-five: A New Friend
Chapter Twenty-six: A Forbidden Friendship
Chapter Twenty-seven: A Temporary Truce
Chapter Twenty-eight: The Whistleblower
Chapter Twenty-nine: Voices
Chapter Thirty: An Unscheduled Break
Chapter Thirty-one: An Impromptu Appointment

Chapter Sixteen: Bitter Thoughts

11 2 0
By Calyypso_Official

At the simulator, Circuit had employed Sights' suggestion he had made while at lunch. For now, Surge Squad had a more effective run-through than previous training sessions, especially when the targets were fighting back like they were now.

The cadets hid behind small barricades as target droids shot stun blasts at them.

"Someone needs to draw their fire." Circuit said.

Ember looked up, "Hm?"

"Wrong fire, Ember." Vision told him, "I nominate Adrenaline since he's just begging to get out there."

Adrenaline nodded rapidly, "I'll do it! Those droids won't catch me!"

"We know, brother. Do your thing." Circuit told him.

Adrenaline didn't waste a second more as he dashed off to the side, drawing the focus of the droids. He dove behind another barricade, " You're clear to move!" He called over.

Circuit nodded, "Advance."

He and his brothers quickly moved forward while Adrenaline distracted the droids. Well, all moved quickly except for Patches.

Patches trudged forward. He obviously wasn't trying to train. He looked like he didn't want to be there in the first place.

"Patches! Hurry up, brother! The droids know you all moved!" Adrenaline shouted.

Patches continued trudging at the same pace, almost like that of a droid's gait. Unsurprisingly, this resulted in him getting hit twice in the chest with stun shots before he could make it behind a barricade. He winced as the stun shots stung his skin.

"What are you doing?! You're off your game, Patches. Focus." Circuit told him, firing at the droids and successfully taking down a few.

Sights looked at Patches, "Are you okay? You're acting strange." His brows furrowed with worry, and he hugged his brother briefly.

"I'm fine." Patches told him quickly, "My mind's just wandering- that's all."

Sights frowned, sensing Patches was fibbing, "Okay- well- could you help steady me while I shoot the blaster? I haven't shot on my knees yet."

Patches nodded, "Sure. This will take more concentration since you have opponents. Rest the barrel of your rifle on the ledge of the barricade. Then, follow through with the shooting measures I taught you." He told him.

Sights nodded, following Patches' instructions, and he made a perfect shot on a droid, thanks to the aid of his visor's "seek mode." He slowly began to pick off a few more droids with his brothers. The moving droids frustrated him, however. "No fair..." He muttered, "Those droids keep moving away from my aim! I can't get a shot at them!"

"Aim where they will go, brother. Not where they are now or else you'll miss." Patches told him.

"Okay... Let me try that." Sights replied, aiming where a droid was headed and taking the shot.

Hit. It wasn't perfect, but it was a hit.

"Look! I got it! Did you see that, Patches?! Thank you!" Sights rejoiced.

Patches smiled a bit, patting Sights' shoulder, "Great job. Keep at it!"

Sights kept firing with a large grin on his face.

"Hey- I'm going to try and help Ad out. He's struggling." Patches told his brothers, holding his training blaster in a ready position.

"Very well, but be swifter about it, brother. The goal is to get the least amount of stun shots on you as you train." Vision told him sarcastically.

"Very funny, Vis... I'll make do." Patches replied, sprinting away and behind another barricade. His mind continued whirling with what Talon had said about him a few minutes prior. He could barely focus as he made another dash. His left calf got tagged by a stun shot, and he collapsed on the ground. He quickly started pulling himself with his arms to a safe area while stun shots chased him down.

Circuit frowned, "Something's up... He's not usually like this and it's concerning me."

"Me too." Sights replied.

Adrenaline met Patches in the middle, "Hey- are you okay?"

"Fine. Let's finish these droids." Patches replied, firing at the droids.

Adrenaline did the same, not giving another thought about the situation due to his gullible personality.

Finally, after a few minutes, the simulation ceased, and all targets and barricades lowered into the ground.

Patches and Adrenaline walked over to join the others.

Circuit smiled, "Great job today, brothers. We're doing much better now that we are working together."

Ember gave a subconscious laugh, "It was fun!"

Zs nodded with a yawn, "Thrilling..." He mumbled, walking over to Adrenaline and laying his head against his shoulder plate, beginning to snooze.

"Well- We're all done for the day, so you know what that means!" He told his brothers with a smirk.

Adrenaline gasped and ran, completely forgetting Zs was on his shoulder- even though he had only been there a few seconds.

Zs let out a panicked cry as he toppled over, using his arm to break his fall when he hit the floor. It still hurt nonetheless, "Ow, Adrenaline! Could you warn me next time?! That's probably gonna bruise!" He yelled after him.

"Sorry!" Came the distant apology.

Zs grunted, standing up, "Let's get this over with so I can sleep-"

"Get what over with?" Sights asked, "Why did Adrenaline just leave us like that?"

Subtle chuckled, "Well, we all race to see who can get into the barracks the quickest. The last one in gets a silly name for the rest of the day."

"I see- that's the race AZ-83 whines about and swears that one day he will be trampled-on because of it." Sights replied.

"Yep. That's the one." Subtle laughed, "Ready? Set? Go!"

On "go," all the boys started to run- except for Zs and Patches, but no one noticed. They were too focused on not being last.

Sights giggled as he ran, trying to push toward the front of the pack. He passed Ember and Vision and was now gaining on Flashback.

They put on a burst of speed as they approached their barracks.

Sights passed Flash, finally, and was now following Subtle and Circuit.

Circuit went in first, followed by Subtle, Sights, Flashback, Ember, and Vision.

Adrenaline sat happily on the ground, "I won again."

Circuit laughed, "You didn't even wait for Sub to say 'go!'"

Adrenaline giggled, "Sorry, guys- I got excited."

Sights looked back, "Hey- uh- Patches and Zs aren't back yet. Should I go back?"

Flash shook his head, "They'll come around soon."

Sights nodded, "Okay, I guess... Hey- where did 83 go?" He looked around for his friend.

"I'll find him!" Adrenaline replied, running around the room in search.

AZI-83 entered a few seconds later when Adrenaline had his back turned. "Oh, lovely- you all have returned... And the room isn't destroyed yet. I'm impressed for once."

Adrenaline turned around, pointing at him, "Found him!"

Surge Squadron, who had already seen him when he spoke, looked at one another.

"Well? Who's gonna say it? Patches isn't here yet, so someone has to say something." Subtle spoke.

Vision raised his hand, "May I? I'd like to be Patches in his stead for just this once."

Subtle nodded, "Go ahead."

Vision cleared his throat, "Adrenaline- thank you for pointing out the obvious."

"You're welcome! Happy to help!" Adrenaline smiled, oblivious as usual.

The cadets shared a laugh.

Soon, Zs entered the room, "I didn't come in last! And I did it all by myself... I deserve a nap..." He spoke, walking over to his bunk.

"Wrong." AZI-83 told him, "It is unhealthy to skip meals, especially dinner, which you all should be going to right now."

Zs grunted, "Fine..." He trudged back over, laying his head against Adrenaline, "If you run off again and make me fall..." He paused for a moment. "I don't know what I'll do, but I'll do something."

Adrenaline laughed, "Okay." He turned to AZI-83, "We'll leave once everyone has their break."

Patches finally showed up, walking to the ladder to get to his bunk without a word.

Adrenaline gasped, "Patches is last! Patches is the smelly-"

Vision covered his mouth, "Ad, not now." He walked over to Patches as he climbed up the ladder, "Hey- we're worried about you. Something is wrong and you aren't telling us." He grabbed onto one side of the ladder.

"I'm okay- seriously." Patches replied, sliding out his bunk.

"Well- come to dinner with us." Vision replied.

"Not hungry." Patches replied shortly.

AZ-83 placed his hands on his hips, "Now, I got onto Zs about this, and I make no exceptions. You must go to the mess hall to get dinner as well."

Patches glared at him softly, "I want to stay here..." He gave the droid a "my word will stand" look.

AZ-83 backed up a bit. "On second thought, for the sake of my well-being, I shall allow an exception this once."

Patches nodded, sitting on his bed and fiddling with the sheets, "You all go on without me."

"Are you sure?" Circuit asked, tilting his head.

"Yes." Patches replied a bit sharply.

Circuit turned away, "Well- uh- alright... Come on then, brothers. Let's go eat. Be back in a bit, Patches."

Patches made a sound, laying down, his back turned to them.

Circuit called for formation before leading out of the barracks and to the mess hall.

Sights looked over his shoulder at Patches worriedly. He was concerned for his brother and friend.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.4K 153 32
What? No... I'm not running out of ideas... (fake laugh) Ok... maybe I'm running out of ideas...
466 133 9
Thirty years ago, there was rumors that an ancient Egyptian city and pyramid was discovered amongst the sands. Many archaeologists sought to acquire...
9.7K 354 11
{UPDATE} *I could add another chapter to give a better ending, but if I get comments about it, I'll do it, PROMISE!* At a wedding for Erwin and Jasmi...
20.6K 384 34
Alina is everything her family isn't she smart and bright, not the general killer of thief's that make up her family. It's no wonder she had been on...