Unmarked Mates

By GosiaAC

BLACK MOON Book Three Can be read as a stand-alone. A mating bond is Goddess' blessing, something pure and p... More

Prologue: The knowledge of sin is the beginning of salvation
Chapter 1: What can't be cured must be endured
Chapter 2: "Be careful what you wish for"
Chapter 3: "A journey of thousand miles begins with a single step"
Chapter 4: "Beggars can't be choosers"
Chapter 6: "Don't think there are no crocodiles because the water is calm"
Chapter 7: "Higher duties mean greater responsibilities"
Chapter 8: "Marriage has teeth and it bites hard"
Chapter 9: "Discretion is the better part of valor"
Chapter 10: " If you want peace, prepare for war"
Chapter 11: "A leopard never changes its spots"
Chapter 12: "Faults are thick where love is thin"
Chapter 13: "Honesty is the best policy"
Chapter 14: "Don't cast pearls before swine"
Chapter 15: An ounce of protection is worth a pound of cure.
Chapter 16: "Blood is thicker than water"
Chapter 17: "Better fifty enemies outside the house than one within"
Chapter 18: "It takes two to tango"
Chapter 19: "Grief divided is made lighter"
Chapter 20: "Ignorance is bliss"
Chapter 21: "Every cloud has a silver lining"
Chapter 22: "Hunger drives the wolf out of the wood"
Chapter 23: "As you sow, so you shall reap"
Chapter 24: "If you play with fire, you'll get burned"
Chapter 25: "The cat is out of the bag"
Chapter 26:" The truth will set you free"
Chapter 27: " A house divided cannot stand"
Chapter 28: "Ask no questions and hear no lies"
Chapter 29: "Devil's Bargain"
Chapter 30: "Familiarity breeds contempt"
Chapter 31: "It's never too late to mend"
Chapter 32: "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst."
Chapter 33: "When the going gets tough, the tough get going."
Chapter 34: "Curses, like chickens, come home to roost"
Chapter 35: "Where there's a will, there's a way"
Chapter 36: "Action speaks louder than words"
Chapter 37: "One man's trash is another man's treasure"
Chapter 38: "Any port in a storm"
Chapter 39: "Persuasion is better than force."
Chapter 40: "The course of true love never did run smooth" Part 1
Chapter 41: "The course of true love never did run smooth" Part 2
Chapter 42: "The course of true love never did run smooth" Part 3
Chapter 43: "The course of true love never did run smooth" Part 4
Chapter 44: "Oaks may fall when reeds stand the storm"
Chapter 45: "Lightning never strikes twice in the same place."
Chapter 46: "Practice what you preach"
Chapter 47: You show me the man, and I'll show you the rule
Chapter 48: "There is no beast more cruel than man"
Chapter 49: Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future
Epilogue: The longest way around is the shortest way home
Book Four: Untainted Mates

Chapter 5: "Beginning is easy - to keep going is hard"

379 22 3
By GosiaAC

Brandon, Danny's mate above

Danny POV

When I think about my childhood, the first thing that comes to my mind is fear. As the son of a hunter, I was raised in fear of werewolves. That was how it was; that was how the hunters should be raised because fear is the easiest emotion to be remolded into hate, and hate is essential to make people want to risk their lives to take somebody else's life.

But in my life, the more significant reason to be afraid was my father. Even before my mother's death, he could've been violent quite often, although not that much. He was good at his job, so there were times when he wasn't at home for many weeks. I didn't miss him much; his presence meant strictness and many additional rules to follow so he wouldn't feel irritated. He could be harsh, but I was used to it, and I always thought he cared about me. It was after mum died that I finally realized how wrong I was.

Daily beatings, empty bottles of alcohol, and an empty fridge were my routine for almost a year, but I still thought, or maybe I just wanted to believe, that the only reason he didn't care was that he missed my mother. When around a year after her death, Jordan, one of the leaders of the Nightingale Clan, came to our house to make a deal with my father,  I finally understood that for my father, I meant nothing.

After another year of nightmares, my clan perished, destroyed by werewolves, and I found a new home in a werewolf's pack. Celia, Jordan's niece, and her mate Hank took me in, it wasn't easy for either of us, but we have managed to build a family, and they have managed to make me feel safe again. Do I feel safe now? I gulp, pulling down my shirt sleeve so Trist won't see my bruised arm.

"Do you think we should enter dad's room? I feel a bit scared," he says, squeezing the brush in his hand.

I smile, pushing my uncertainty to the back of my mind. I've been in Howl Pack for over three weeks already, and Trist has been a big help to me. He showed me around; he talks with me a lot because he is in constant need of attention, and I won't lie if I say I really appreciate his company since I barely have any else.

For the last week, we have been cleaning the house and have almost finished the task with success. Trist is so happy since he can now distinguish the color of the carpet in the living room that it amazes me. Nor Julius nor Brandon complain about it, probably because they are rarely home. They leave early, return late, and eat the dinner I usually prepare. Maybe that's why Trist is so eager to talk to me because I'm the first adult who has given him undivided attention in many years.

Honestly, I'm not so eager to step into Julius's room. I still don't have a final opinion about him, probably because I hardly ever see him, and yet I still think we can't just leave his room in a mess no matter what.

"Let's do it like that; we will only remove the trash, dust and clean windows and the floor. We are not looking into the drawers or a wardrobe. How about that?" I ask, and Trist nods.

Julius's room is an enormous mess in this house, and there are too many empty bottles here; in my opinion, it reminds me of my father's room and makes me feel uneasy. And yet I don't withdraw and start my job. I fill up the bags with the trash, and Trist proceeds to take them out, next he starts cleaning the windows as I take all the dirty clothes to the bathroom; I will do the laundry later. I kneel to swipe away the dust from under the bed, and something like the picture comes from it, and I pick it up. It's a photo of...

"What are you doing here?" the strong voice coming from the door makes me almost jump. I turn around to see Julius.

"Dad, we've been only cleaning," says Trist quickly, yet Julius seems not to hear him. I don't know why his dark eyes pierce through me, but I feel like I was just caught doing something terrible. I squeeze the picture in my hand, wondering if he knows I have it.

"I'm sorry," I say. "We didn't want to be snoopy, but this place really needs cleaning."

He gives me his stone-cold look; I have no idea if he is okay with it or if he is angry.

"Since you have started, finish it, but never again enter my room without my permission," he says, withdrawing into the living room; Trist releases a breath he's been holding. We finish our task in silence, Trist goes to his room to do his homework, and I go to the kitchen to take care of dinner.

But Julius startles me again as I turn around from the kitchen counter. How the hell can he move around the house in a wheelchair without making any noise?

"I don't want you in my room ever again," he says slowly, and I gulp.

"I said I was sorry; I didn't intend to make you uncomfortable."

"You may be Brandon's mate, but this is my home too," he says, moving closer to me; his head is on the level of my chest, yet I still feel intimidated by his presence.

"Don't you exaggerate! I didn't go through your desk or drawers. I cleaned this house; you should be grateful, don't you think?"

I wonder from where I get this sassy attitude; he reaches and grabs me, not hard, but unfortunately, touches my bruised arm, and I hiss in pain. Instantly he yanks the sleeve of my shirt higher and examines the bruising.

"Have you told Brandon that he used too much strength?" he says in a serious voice, and my eyes widen; I did not. When my mate grabbed me, I didn't say a thing; I just endured.

"I didn't," I say timidly, suddenly feeling ashamed.

"Brandon is a werewolf, and we haven't had a human here for a very long time; he may not realize that he uses too much strength with you. You must tell him."

He moves away from me, and I don't know why, but I do not feel happy. I liked his closer presence, and his solid masculine scent engulfed me. I feel disappointed thinking that he will leave, but he doesn't.

"Thank you for cleaning the house; I appreciate it," he says, making me smile. "Trist really likes you, and I appreciate that you spend time with him too."

"I like him too; he's such a good kid."

Julius smiles at this comment, Trist mentioned that his father isn't very affectionate, but he loves him very much, that is for sure.

"Brandon mentioned that he may come back very late today," he says. "When you finish cooking, we may just eat together unless you want to wait for him."

"No, I'm hungry. I will be delighted to eat with you and Trist."

Julius POV

The way he looks at me with these beautiful eyes once again stirs something in me; I also don't know why but Drake seems to be purring. But it's probably just my imagination; I haven't felt any emotions from my wolf for so long that I probably imagine things.

I must say Danny has surprised me since the moment I saw him for the first time. First of all, he is a human and was adopted by Beta. That is uncommon, but since the Beta's mate is a human too, and he was her relative, as he said, it makes sense, I think. The second was his fighting skills, I saw him once at the training area,  and he isn't bad; I guess he was taught well. The third is his politeness; he is so timid and polite whenever I say something to him that it's almost awkward. I know I don't have the brightest personality in the world, but he seems scared whenever we are at home,, and I don't understand why. Why would he be afraid, especially with his mate being so close?

Trist likes him very much, Natasha likes him, and I heard he also made a good impression on Alyssa, our pack doctor, and she is an old hag. Danny also doesn't seem to have difficulties talking to different pack members, yet every time I look at him, I have a feeling he wants to be invisible, or maybe it's just my imagination.

He has put some of his works in our house, just two of them, but it touched something in me. I know nothing about art, but I enjoy looking at his canvas. And he takes care of Trist. I've caught once a glimpse of him helping him with his homework.

I move into my room and look around, I wasn't happy with him here, but I must say it looks so amazing now when it doesn't smell and there is no dust. What is also gone are all the bottles, I don't drink that much, but I just never put the bottles into the rubbish. I guess I didn't pay any attention to it whatsoever.

That's when I spot a photo on the bed, and I take that with a bit of shaking; I was sure I got rid of everything. There are three people on this: one is me, and one is Maddison with her big belly. Looking at her doesn't make me actually feel anything, not anymore. It's the third person in the photo that makes me uneasy. I had forgotten he had smiled that brightly. He didn't deserve the end he got, and he didn't deserve the scum like me for a brother.

Danny is calling Trist and me for dinner, so I don't have more time to wonder about what if there is no point in it anyway. You can't change what you have done. That's final.

Danny made a delicious chicken casserole, I think, as all three of us are eating. Trist is talking about the school and his upcoming wolf training. He has shifted recently and is supposed to start next month, which means he will be under the command of Alexa, one of the warriors in the pack responsible for training youngsters; I am in charge of grown-ups.

"And you, Danny, have you been training as a warrior?" asks Trist.

"When I moved into the Black Moon, my father started teaching me, but I never took part in wolves' fighting because I don't have a wolf. But I know how to throw the punch, but I'm not the best at fighting, probably because I didn't have to," he smiles.

"And what about the bond? You are the human. How do you feel it?"

Actually, I wish to know the answer on this to Trist's questions.

"For humans, it's different, less strong, but I quickly felt Brandon's wolf, and this month with Brandon in my pack was quite amazing. He adored me as some princess," he says, smiling brightly.

Lucky him, I think, but I wonder if it will be enough. In the beginning, I also adored Madison as some princess. A mating bond makes you desire your other half, you feel better with them than without them, but it doesn't mean that you feel good. I've learned it the hard way.

"The beginning for us was very romantic; we used to go to fancy restaurants, I met his wolf, and he wasn't pushy about the sex. My family gave him some hard time, but not too much. I guess Dad feels more responsible for me than my sister Kathy since I don't have a wolf."

"Are they angry that you mated so suddenly?" I ask, and Danny looks at me.

"They are more worried, and I understand. I told them I needed this visit to be sure, and it happened so quickly; I guess they freaked out a little."

"Well, if Brandon..."

"What about Brandon?" the man himself enters the house. He nods to Trist and me and gives his mate a passionate kiss on the lips, Danny responds, and I clench my fist, not understanding why.

"What about Brandon?" my cousin asks the same question looking at me.

"Nothing, just be more careful with him; you gave him bruises," I say, withholding his glare.

"Really? Sorry love, I didn't notice. I promise it won't happen again" he smiles and sits to eat.

For a while, I look at him. He is even cockier since he came back. He has always been the one with a big ego, but recently, I feel he has been sure that everything is already ready for him, and he only needs to take it. Chen was right, I may appreciate Brandon's strength, but he is not leader material. He won't be a Head Warrior; for sure, he won't be anyone more important than he is now, no matter what.

"Have you figured out who had attacked two of our warriors?" I ask him.

"No, no leads; the swamp got rid of all the trails, so there's nothing more I can do. I wonder why all of you think it's such a big deal. Those two aren't very clever, and the rogue has just outsmarted them, and it didn't happen that close to the pack," says Brandon cheerfully.

"Because that's wasn't rogues doing, they were sedated with the poison, the hunter's poison nor less no more, and there have been no hunters around in ten years," I spit.

Danny shifts uncomfortably; I wonder why? When Brandon looks at me angrily.

"Start behaving like an adult, or you will never reach anywhere," I say, raising my voice, but Brandon responds furiously:

"As if you have any right to say it! A pathetic drunk who buried himself alive!"

I snarl, but he grabs Danny's hand, and they both go upstairs; Trist looks at me, a little bit scared. Shit, why I had to ruin such a lovely evening?

Enjoy, vote, and comment :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

123K 5.2K 44
"He can die 'cause we haven't had sex?" I say as the weight of what she's just told me hits me like a ton of bricks. "The longer the Alpha stays in t...
2.2K 118 36
Michelle's life was almost perfect. Loving family, great college, perfect grades, good friends, and a crush on one of the sweetest guys she's met. Th...
230K 6.5K 33
FORGIVENESS is the best form of love... it takes a strong person to say SORRY and an even stronger person to FORGIVE... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~...
961K 39.3K 31
[Book #1 in the Blackwood Pack series] Currently in the process of rewriting (it'll be uploaded as a separate book) ________________ ...