Unmarked Mates

GosiaAC tarafından

BLACK MOON Book Three Can be read as a stand-alone. A mating bond is Goddess' blessing, something pure and p... Daha Fazla

Prologue: The knowledge of sin is the beginning of salvation
Chapter 1: What can't be cured must be endured
Chapter 3: "A journey of thousand miles begins with a single step"
Chapter 4: "Beggars can't be choosers"
Chapter 5: "Beginning is easy - to keep going is hard"
Chapter 6: "Don't think there are no crocodiles because the water is calm"
Chapter 7: "Higher duties mean greater responsibilities"
Chapter 8: "Marriage has teeth and it bites hard"
Chapter 9: "Discretion is the better part of valor"
Chapter 10: " If you want peace, prepare for war"
Chapter 11: "A leopard never changes its spots"
Chapter 12: "Faults are thick where love is thin"
Chapter 13: "Honesty is the best policy"
Chapter 14: "Don't cast pearls before swine"
Chapter 15: An ounce of protection is worth a pound of cure.
Chapter 16: "Blood is thicker than water"
Chapter 17: "Better fifty enemies outside the house than one within"
Chapter 18: "It takes two to tango"
Chapter 19: "Grief divided is made lighter"
Chapter 20: "Ignorance is bliss"
Chapter 21: "Every cloud has a silver lining"
Chapter 22: "Hunger drives the wolf out of the wood"
Chapter 23: "As you sow, so you shall reap"
Chapter 24: "If you play with fire, you'll get burned"
Chapter 25: "The cat is out of the bag"
Chapter 26:" The truth will set you free"
Chapter 27: " A house divided cannot stand"
Chapter 28: "Ask no questions and hear no lies"
Chapter 29: "Devil's Bargain"
Chapter 30: "Familiarity breeds contempt"
Chapter 31: "It's never too late to mend"
Chapter 32: "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst."
Chapter 33: "When the going gets tough, the tough get going."
Chapter 34: "Curses, like chickens, come home to roost"
Chapter 35: "Where there's a will, there's a way"
Chapter 36: "Action speaks louder than words"
Chapter 37: "One man's trash is another man's treasure"
Chapter 38: "Any port in a storm"
Chapter 39: "Persuasion is better than force."
Chapter 40: "The course of true love never did run smooth" Part 1
Chapter 41: "The course of true love never did run smooth" Part 2
Chapter 42: "The course of true love never did run smooth" Part 3
Chapter 43: "The course of true love never did run smooth" Part 4
Chapter 44: "Oaks may fall when reeds stand the storm"
Chapter 45: "Lightning never strikes twice in the same place."
Chapter 46: "Practice what you preach"
Chapter 47: You show me the man, and I'll show you the rule
Chapter 48: "There is no beast more cruel than man"
Chapter 49: Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future
Epilogue: The longest way around is the shortest way home
Book Four: Untainted Mates

Chapter 2: "Be careful what you wish for"

439 22 6
GosiaAC tarafından

Danny above

Danny POV

I was born in the hunter's clan; I was born in the Nightingale clan, the most ruthless clan of them all, which meant that my father and my neighbors were killers. They lived on killing werewolves. I never really understood why, but that was how things were; I was a child unable to question it; I was raised not to question it. 

But ten years ago, the Alpha of the Black Moon Pack and his allies managed to erase from this earth every hunter clan in this state, including mine. Many of those I knew died, and many of those I knew I watched dying. 

But I survived, or most likely, was saved by werewolves; my adoptive father says it was the Goddess's blessing, her mercy, to bring me to them. I was adopted by Celia Nightingale and her werewolf mate, the Beta of the Black Moon Pack. I would say I had won the orphaned lottery. My father died in werewolves attack,  and I don't regret it because he abused me and chose to sell me to no one else but one of our clan's leaders Jordan Nightingale, who... broke me, broke me in so many pieces that it took years for me to glued myself together. Thanks, Goddess, he is dead now. 

The other clan leader Terry Nightingale, my mother's older brother, may be dead or not; he disappeared. It wasn't easy for him to accept that his sister had chosen to follow the mating bond and allowed her true mate to mark her. It wasn't easy for him to betray Jordan Nightingale to save his sister and her mate and help other survivors of our clan's massacre to start a new life far away from werewolves and hunts, but he did it. And after that, he disappeared, which started the long years of peace and prosperity for werewolves packs in this region, including mine.

My adoptive parents and sister gave me all the love and security I could ask for, and the Black Moon Pack gave me a place I could call home and friends for life. I was born in the hunter clan, but I found my place in the wolf's pack, and although I'm a human, I've never felt like not part of this community. The Black Moon Pack was where I was happy, and now I miss it. 

We are sitting at the big table full of food. Brandon, a big handsome man with bright eyes and blonde hair, is smiling brightly, telling stories about how we've met, how he and his wolf have instantly fallen in love with me. I look around at eating people. They all seem friendly and genuinely happy that Brandon and I have found each other. Am I happy?

I seem so small compared to Brandon; I'm skinny, although I have some muscles, and my hair is dark and short.

Brandon's hand rests on my thigh; I should feel reassured by his touch, shouldn't I? That is the mate thing. That is how mates work, right? I've watched that for the last ten years of my life, especially with my adoptive parents, right? I try to think about something else; I'm probably tired and nervous because of the new place and people. And I'm not good at dealing with most of the new things in my life.

I wonder how things are at home; I probably should call them soon and tell them... just what exactly? That I won't be coming back since the decision was made?

One of the werewolves keeps looking at me almost all the time, and I wonder why. Is it because I'm human? I saw how completely surprised he was at the moment he smelt that. Well, the rest of them also seemed a little surprised, so I quickly clarified that I was adopted, and after that, there was no more question. But I guess not because of a lack of curiosity but because of politeness.

"So Danny, how are your paintings? The last time I saw you were prepared to finish arts at college?" asks Alpha Natasha.

I remember I saw her once or twice at home since she is an ally to our pack and a close friend of Alpha Mikkeli, so I'm not surprised she knows what I'm doing.

"Well, he's been taking a year gap now because we need to settle here," Brandon answers her question, squeezing my thigh a bit harder.

"I've sold some of my works through the internet, and I managed to put some of my canvas in a gallery so that we will see them. I might have to take a break from my studies since I moved here, but I'll finish," I say, and she smiles.

"And what are your plans for here?" asks Beta Chen.

"I don't know yet. At first, Brandon convinced me to visit his pack to plan how to proceed with our mating; I was supposed only to visit for some time, but..."

"But you know, two mates, a long drive, and quite a charming bed and breakfast on the road, we've just flown with passion and completed our mating. Doesn't he look more gorgeous with my mark on him?" Brandon giggles, blinking, and I try not to show that his grip on my leg hurts.

"But still, I was under the impression that you would take things slowly, but I guess it's your business, not mine. Better be prepared, Danny; you will be sharing a house with Julius and his son too, and let me tell you, all my boys are extremely messy," says Preston, who is Brandon's father and a Head Warrior. "Julius hates cleaning, and my wife failed to teach that to our son."

"Dad, you make me look like some creepy hoodlum," Brandon says, smiling.

His cousin Julius keeps staring at me, he seems polite like all of them, and yet I can't shake off the feeling that, for some reason, he isn't happy that I will be a part of his life now.

"I can always clean," I say, and Trist Julius' son looks at me intensively with, I don't know... hope? Brandon finally lets go of my leg. I can relax a bit.

Later after dinner and phoning home, I sit alone in the bedroom I will be sharing with my mate now. It's a big room with mostly brown colors, an extensive TV set, and many clothes scattered everywhere. My father-in-law wasn't joking, and this house is a mess.

My family wasn't exactly thrilled when I told them the plans were changed, and I'm marked. I understand that they are worried. After all, Brandon told them he only wanted to introduce me to his family and the pack so we could know each other better before becoming officially mated. And now it happened that I'm marked.

Brandon found me a month ago while visiting my pack. At first, he didn't seem happy that a human was his soulmate, but he decided to stay longer and try to get to know me. On the other hand, I was on cloud nine when I had a mate. After all, I was raised in a house full of true mates, and I watched how happy that made them. I've always been thrilled with the idea of mates, of having someone to love you unconditionally just because you exist. I was more than eager to give Brandon a chance, and I should be more than happy that everything turned out so well and Brandon wanted me.

And yet I can't; I can't shake off the feeling of uncertainty, and I have no idea why. I'm 24, an adult man, and a painter; I know my value, and I buried all demons of my past, especially Jordan Nightingale and my hunter's origin, ten years ago. And yet...

Brandon leaves the shower and comes closer to me, giving me a small peck on my lips and wrapping his arm around me.

"I haven't asked how you are. I wasn't too rough last night?"

"Honestly, I don't...."I shake a little uncomfortably.

"Remember? Really? Well, I guess you were drunker than I noticed. But you are okay; you are not bleeding anymore?" he looks concerned at me. "I was hoping we could do it again now, but I guess I should give you more time to get better. You are not a werewolf, so that you won't heal quickly."

I nod to him, feeling slightly better and reassured and maybe safer; I can feel his wolf's Bruce presence, which is a very pleasant feeling.

"Tomorrow, I have so much work to do since I wasn't here for a month. It's Saturday, so I asked Trist to show you around, and we will spend an evening together. What do you think?"

"I like that," I say, managing to smile. "But I don't want to be a bother."

"You won't be; Trist won't mind, Julius, from the other hand.." he sounds a bit worried, and I give him a questioning look:

'Well, Julius hasn't been walking for ten years now, but he is perfectly healthy in his wolf form, which is a curiosity we can't explain. He is very, very bitter and stubborn, and if he says something to you, don't take it to your heart. That's just how he is. Oh, and never ask about Trist's mother, or you may get hurt. I'm not joking about that one."

I nod eagerly; I don't intend to pry into anybody's business, no matter what, especially not into this big, for a sure dangerous man.

"I may have little time for you in the next weeks," Brandon continues his monologue. "My father is thinking about retirement, and I should prepare to take the Head Warrior position."

That's made me wonder. I've seen Brandon fighting during the training at my home. He is strong. I can't deny that he is also reckless and lacks patience. My best friend Jason mentioned once that Brandon is like a peacock; all he does is show off.

"Don't worry, and I'm not a kid; I can manage myself," I say.

When we go to sleep for a moment, I hope he will cuddle me, but he doesn't, and I don't dare to ask. He is my mate; it will get better. I'm just a little overwhelmed with everything that has happened recently. He is my mate, and he won't hurt me no matter what, and we will be happy... finally. After all, I have got what I have wished for my entire life.

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

361K 16K 49
Kylie survived the brutal destruction of her pack only to discover her cold alpha mate was the one responsible for the brutal slaughter of her family...
2.2K 118 36
Michelle's life was almost perfect. Loving family, great college, perfect grades, good friends, and a crush on one of the sweetest guys she's met. Th...
13.3M 364K 63
"Fuck, baby. You can't say things like that to me. I want to, also. Trust me." His hand snakes down my body until he enters two of his fingers into m...
3.2M 23K 5
Excerpt only: I quickly run in their direction as my claws elongate into fierce points. I watch as a man in all black strikes down and kills one of...