Back to the shadows | Dean Wi...

By courtneybunny2

Book two in that back to you series. Read book one, "Back to believing", if you don't none of this is going t... More

Cast & Playlist
Chapter 1: I'll chase you out of the yard with a shotgun
Chapter 2: Like anyone would invite you
Chapter 3: I've always wanted to hunt down pennywise
Chapter 4: What's so weird about evil, invisible, killer clowns
Chapter 5: Damn you, Sam
Chapter 6: You really think you can kill me
Chapter 7: I really don't feel like hiding bodies
Chapter 8: Pretty, living, not dead, plants
Chapter 9: Probably
Chapter 10: We're supposed to be stalking
Chapter 11: I'll just stick with the boring job
Chapter 12: Are you sure
Chapter 13: When we're burning in hell together
Chapter 15: We're already wanted for murder
Chapter 16: I think he does
Chapter 17: We love summoning demons
Chapter 18: Before something bad happens
Chapter 19: Who has time to murder a town full of people
Chapter 20: Get on your side of the road, man
Chapter 21: I wanna blow shit up
Chapter 22: Super scary threat
Chapter 23: Get over it
Chapter 24: I need coffee
Chapter 25: They are
Chapter 26: What now
Chapter 27: But what do I get
Chapter 28: Except that part
Chapter 29: You were smarter than that
Chapter 30: We got a lot of problems
Chapter 31: Lets dig up a dead body
Chapter 32: Maybe there is
Chapter 33: Go do our SpongeBob seance
Chapter 34: You were sadly mistaken
Chapter 35: I never will
Chapter 36: Just kill me
Chapter 37: Quit yelling at each other
Chapter 38: Psychotic break down is always an option
Chapter 39: Its shitty here
Chapter 40: A hell of a lot
Chapter 41: You have no friends
Chapter 42: Here we go
Chapter 43: I don't need help
Chapter 44: We are better than them
Chapter 45: I know the feeling
Chapter 46: Have fun
Chapter 47: Shut up
Chapter 48: Patiently
Chapter 49: Our big break
Chapter 50: Yes we are
Chapter 51: I'd love to
Chapter 52: You got any popcorn
Chapter 53: We've noticed
Chapter 54: Name your price
Chapter 55: The sky
Chapter 56: I can fix it
Chapter 57: I was right
Chapter 58: Bring it on
A/N

Chapter 14: On this segment of I regret my life

852 24 8
By courtneybunny2

No exist 2

"Wait, Sam, where's the coffee? And the food? You are so not my favorite anymore." Alexis crosses her arms over her chest.

"There are cops outside." Sam states. "Someone else disappeared."

"You know, I've been panicking for the last, like, 12 hours. I just had a really bad feeling." Alexis really has been. The sinking feeling in her gut grew as the night went on and turned to day.

~~~

Dean and Alexis walk back into the apartment.

"What was the apartment like?" Jo asks.

"Cracks all over the plaster, walls, ceiling. There was ectoplasm too."

"It was Mae. She went missing. Mae's mom reported her missing after her work called when Mae didn't show up or answer the phone. This is bad." Alexis starts to tap her fingers against her thigh. This was all Alexis' fault. She killed her friend.

"Between that and the hair, I'd say this suckers coming from the walls." Sam says.

"Wow, you think?" Alexis crosses her arms over her chest.

"Yeah, but who is it? Buildings history is totally clean." Dean glances at Alexis.

Jo picks up a picture that sat on the table filled with paper. "Maybe we're looking in the wrong place."

"What do you mean?" Dean asks.

"Check this out." She hands him the picture.

"An empty field?" Sam asks.

"Sorry to break it to you, but I'm not sure that'll help." Alexis looks at the picture.

"Its where this building was built. Take a look at the one next door. The windows." Jo explains.

"Bars. Its a prison." Alexis realizes.

"We're next door to a prison?" Dean asks.

~~~

"That's right, I will. With pliers." Jo tells Ash through the phone. She walks back over to the others. "Okay, Moyamensing prison, built in 1835, torn down in 1963. And get this, they used to execute people by hanging them in the empty field next door."

"Sounds like my family, but more professional. And legal." Alexis mutters under her breath.

"Well, then, we need a list of all the people executed there." Sam says.

"Ash is already on it." Jo nods her head.

~~~

Dean leans over Alexis' shoulder as she sits beside Sam, who was scrolling through the names of people who were executed.

"A hundred fifty-seven names?" Sam asks.

"We gotta narrow that down." Dean states.

"Definitely." Alexis agrees, ignoring how she could feel Deans breath on her neck and the thoughts that provoked. Or, more like, the memories it brought up.

"Or else we're gonna be digging up a hell of a lot of stiffs." Dean continues. A name caught Alexis' eye as Sam continues to scroll through the list. Herman Webster Mudgett.

"Wait, wait, I know that name." Alexis hits Sams arm.

"Herman Webster Mudgett? You're right." Sam stops scrolling, clicking on the name.

"Yeah?" Jo asks.

"Wasn't that H.H. Holmes' real name?" Sam asks.

"You're right. It was. That's who it is." Alexis nods.

"You gotta be kidding me." Dean mutters.

~~~

"Yep. Holmes was executed at Moyamensing May 7th, 1896." Dean tells them.

"We get to kill a serial killer. Hmm, cause that sounds normal." Alexis props her feet up on Deans legs as he sits in the chair beside hers.

"H.H. Holmes himself. Come on, I mean, what are the odds?" Sam chuckles a little.

"Yeah, and I gotta explain this to Mae if she's alive." Alexis sighs.

"Who is this guy?" Jo asks.

"The term 'multi-murderer' they coined it to describe Holmes. He was America's first serial killer before anybody knew what that was." Dean explains.

"God, we're so cool. We get to kill the first serial killer in America." Alexis laughs.

"He confessed to 27 murders. Some think over a hundred." Sam adds.

"And he favorite flavor of victim is, pretty, petite blondes. He chloroform to kill 'em. But he'd also keep 'em alive for a little bit. Inside the walls of the apartment. That's why I have hope that Mae could still be alive." Alexis picks at her fingernails.

"Which is what I smelled in the hallway last night." Dean realizes. "At his place, cops found human remains, bone fragments, and long locks of bloody blonde hair. Boy, you sure know how to pick them." Dean glances at Jo.

"We just find the bones, salt them and burn them, right?" Jo asks.

"Well, its not that easy. His body is buried in town but its encased in a couple tons of concrete." Sam smiles.

"What? Why?" Jo asks.

"So, people, like us, don't go digging up killer's grave's. So, we normally stick to regular graves." Alexis shrugs.

"Yeah, story goes that he didn't want anybody mutilating his corpse. Because, you know, that's what he used to do." Dean adds.

"You know something? We might have an even bigger problem." Sam starts digging through papers.

"How does this get bigger?" Jo asks.

"Holmes built an apartment building in Chicago. They called it the Murder Castle. The whole place was a death factory. They had trapdoors, acid vats, quicklime pits. He built secret chambers inside the walls. He'd lock his victims in, keep them alive for days. Some he'd suffocate, others he'd let starve to death." Sam explains.

"So, like Alex said, Mae could still be alive. She could be inside the walls." Jo says.

Dean stands up. "We need sledgehammers, crowbars. We gotta smash these walls anywhere thick enough to hide a girl."

"Ooh, yes. Finally a fun thing to do." Alexis smiles.

~~~

Alexis and Sam were walking down the hall when someone ran into Alexis.

"What the hell!" She stumbles, but strong arms catch her.

"Oh god, Lex. Sorry." Dean stops her from falling to the floor.

"What the hell are you running from? Its not like I'm chasing you with the crowbar."

"He's got Jo." Dean explains.

"What?"

"How'd that happen?" Sam asks.

"I wasn't with her. I left her alone. Damn it." Dean curses as the three continues down the hall.

"Look, we'll find her." Sam tells him.

"Where?"

"In the walls, dumbass." Alexis smacks his arm.

"We've been inside the walls. None of the other girls are there, she won't be there either."

"Well, obviously we missed something."

~~~

"Lets take a beat and think about this." Sam opens the apartment door and they walk in. "Maybe we got Holmes' M.O. wrong."

"Well, we better frigging think fast." Dean says.

"No shit. Now we have two missing people. Which means two pissed Mother's who gonna kill us if we don't find them." Alexis crosses her arms over her chest.

Deans phone starts to ring. "Yeah." A pause. "Ellen....She'll have to call you back. She'd taking care of feminine business."

Alexis rolls her eyes at Dean. Out of all the excuses.

"Look, we'll get her back." Dean promises. "The spirit we're hunting, it took her....she'll be okay, I promise...what?....It won't. I won't let it. Ellen, I'm sorry. I really am. Damn it." Dean yells as Ellen hangs up.

"We're dead, aren't we?" Alexis glances at him.

"Don't beat yourself up. There's nothing you could have done." Sam tells him.

"Sam's right. And, hey, I'll take the fall. Ellen already hates me. I'll tell her that I was with Jo when she was taken." Alexis smiles.

"Tell me you got something."

"Uh, maybe." Sam shrugs. "Look. Look at the layout. There's other torture chambers inside the walls, right? But there's one we haven't considered, the one in his basement." Sam explains.

"This building doesn't have a basement." Dean argues.

"Right, but Alex and I noticed this. Beneath the foundation, looks like part of a old sewer system that hasn't been used for-"

"Lets go." Dean moves toward the door.

~~~

Sam, Dean, and Alexis walk down the alley. The metal detector in Sam's hand beeps causing them to turn and walk into a small field in between two buildings.

"Here." Sam says as the metal detector starts beeping louder. Dean grabs the shovel

~~~

After uncovering the top and getting it open Dean hands Sam and Alexis each a shotgun with salt filled bullets before taking one himself. Alexis shines her flashlight in the sewer hole.

"No, no, I'll stay here. Keep a look out." She laughs nervously.

"What? No, I thought you were hell bent on finding Mae." Dean looks at her.

"I am, but you see, uh, there's a lot of spiders down there. I can see them crawling around. No." Alexis shakes her head.

"Alex." Sam complains.

"Come on, Lex. I won't let the spiders get ya. Lets go." Dean climbs down first. Alexis went next, followed by Sam.

Alexis groans as a spider crawls up the wall beside her. "I hate this."

~~~

"On this segment of 'I regret my life' watch as Alexis crawls through the smallest sewer hole imaginable. With spiders. All to kill a ghost named Mr. Anger Issues." Alexis mutters to herself as she shimmies her way through the sewer.

~~~

"Hey." Dean yells at the ghost. Holmes' turns to face them just as the three shoot causing him to disappear. "Jo?"

"I'm here." She calls out.

"Mae?" Alexis yells.

"Alex? Oh, thank god." Mae sighs. Alexis walks to where Mae was being held captive. After getting the box like thing open Mae gives Alexis a look.

"What the hell happened?"

Alexis chuckles nervously. "Uh, its all a dream?"

"No, it wasn't."

"I'll explain later, I promise."

"Actually, I don't think you're leaving here just yet." Dean tells Jo.

"What?" She asks.

"Remember when I said you being bait was a bad plan. Now its kinda the only one we got." Dean explains.

"Alright, well, I'll get Mae outta here and explain all this f'd up shit to her. You two and Jo get rid of the son of a bitch." Alexis leads Mae toward the sewer hole.

"Hey, darlin'."

"Yeah?"

"Be careful. Don't let the spider kill ya." Dean jokes.

"Ha- ha. Very funny."

~~~

"So, lets get this clear. You hunt ghosts and demons and evil shit that are fairytales? The Winchesters took you in at 13 because your dad died and your family abandoned you. And now you still hunt this stuff with them?" Mae looks at Alexis, baffled.

"Uh, yeah. In simple terms, I guess."

Mae nods. "And becoming a hunter, how does that work?"

"No, Mae, didn't you listen? Just forget about this. Its a dangerous job where you end up dead no matter what. You have a family still. Please, just don't."

"I wasn't planning on it. From what you said, it sounds like a not fun job where the pay is crap. I just wanna know."

"You're right, the pay is crap."

"Okay, Alex, people do this, right. You save people. I know I won't be able to do what you do, but is there any other ways I can help out hunters?"

Alexis sighs. "First off, if you want to talk to any hunter and not be killed, don't mention you're friends with me. No hunter likes me. Except for the Winchester and Bobby Singer. If you ever run into trouble he's the guy to go to, by the way. Second, I'm not sure."

Mae nods. "Well, it sounds like a dangerous job. And if you all sleep in crappy motels that's even worse. So what if I bought a place and turned it into a bed and breakfast, but, like, for hunters. I'm in nursing school, so I could help hurt hunters and give 'em a nice place to stay when they're in the area."

Alexis smiles, nodding her head. "That's a great idea, Mae. I've never seen someone so eager to help out hunters without actually wanting to become one."

"Well, what can I say, I'm just different." Mae jokes, smiling. Alexis chuckles.

"To have been kidnapped by the ghost of the first serial killer you don't seem to traumatized."

"Oh no, I'm going to have nightmares for a long time."

~~~

"So this job as glamorous as you thought it would be?" Sam asks Jo as they stand in front of the sewer hole.

"Well, except for all the pee your pants terror, yeah, sure. But Mae gets to live a life because of us. Its worth it, isn't it?"

"Yeah, yeah, it is." Sam nods.

"This is the best job I've ever had." Alexis sighs.

"Is this also the only job you've ever had?" Mae asks.

Alexis gasps. "How'd you know?"

"Wild guess."

"Hey, what if somebody finds that sewer down there?" Jo asks. "Or a storm washes the salt away?"

"Both very fine points, which is why we're waiting here." Sam tells her.

"Yes, its all a part of our master plan." Alexis stuffs her hands in her coat pockets.

"For what?" Jo questions.

"For that, I'm guessing." Mae points to the concrete truck backing toward them.

"You, my dear friend, are correct." Alexis nods, smiling.

"Ho!" Sam yells causing Dean to hit the breaks, stopping the truck.

"You ripped off a cement truck?" Jo asks as Dean walks up to them.

"I'll give it back." Dean shrugs.

"This is the best part of the job. Getting to steal random shit for the dumbest reasons." Alexis crosses her arms over her chest as Dean sets an arm around her shoulder.

"Well, that oughta keep him down there till hell freezes over." Dean smiles.

~~~

Alexis sat silently between Jo and Sam in the backseat of the Impala. Ellen sat up front with Dean driving. Alexis hated the uncomfortable silence, but she knew not to make a joke or try to ease the tension. She desperately wanted to.

"Boy, you really weren't kidding about flying out, were you?" Dean glances at Ellen, who remained silent. "How about we listen to some music." Dean turns on the radio.

Thank god, Alexis thought. Something other than unbearable silence.

Ellen quickly turns it back off.

"Well, hell." Alexis mutters.

"This is gonna be a long drive." Dean sighs.

~~~

Sam, Dean, and Alexis follow Ellen into the roadhouse as she drags Jo along.

"Ellen." Dean calls out causing her to turn. "This is my fault, okay? I lied to you and I'm sorry. But Jo did good out there. I think her dad would be proud."

Alexis knew he shouldn't have said that.

"Don't you dare say that. Not you." Ellen says. "I need a moment with my daughter alone."

"Yeah, no problem. I'll be at Arby's." Alexis starts backing toward the door.

~~~

Sam, Dean and Alexis watch as Jo walks out of the door.

"That bad, huh?" Dean asks.

"Not right now."

"What happened?" Dean asks. "Hey, talk to me." He says when Jo ignores him.

"Get off me." She pushes his hand away.

"Sorry. See you around."

"Dean. Turns out my dad had a partner on his last hunt. Funny, he usually worked alone. This guy did too but guess my my father figured he could trust him. Mistake. They guy screwed up and got my dad killed."

"What does this have to do-?"

"It was your father, Dean."

"What?"

"Why do you think John never came back? Never told you about us? Because he couldn't look my mom in the eye after that. That's way."

"Jo-"

"Just get outta here. Please, just leave." Jo walks off.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

172K 5.6K 41
*in queue for editing* A huge thank you to @bloomedroses who loved the story so much that they made an amazing cover for me! I love it so much!! You...
252 62 21
Nevaeh Gerard killed her mother. She's the reason her mother is dead. And her father always made sure she knew it. Always reminded her of it. Which i...
15.2K 497 44
With Dean back from hell everything seems to be looking up for Alexis. Sort of. She's still recovering from all the new information she's been thrown...
47.6K 1K 25
Alexis Hart or Smith, as she prefers, grew up learning to hunt the things that go bump in the night. It was her life. She was taught it was the only...