bunny love [k. bakugo x oc]

By oikawahatesme

Kuri Nakano is a half Japanese girl from the U.S. living what most would consider a good life; with pro hero... More

0. Prologue
1. Arrival
2. The Dorms
3. The Girls Talk
4. Study Buddy
5. Running
6. The Importance of Sleep
7. Sick
8. Stubborn
9. Fight
10. Apology
11. Quirks and Stuff
12. The School Festival
13. The Band Team
14. The Obligatory Bath Scene
15. Christmas Party
16. Class 1-B
17. Valentine
18. Final Exam
19. The End of the Beginning
20. Visitors
21. The Sports Festival
22. Dumb Luck
23. Work Study
24. Investigation
25. Encounter
26. It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Finals
27. Another Summer Training Camp
28. The Tattoo
29. The Obligatory Pool Scene
30. Patrolling
31. Into the Dreamscape
32. Kiss and Make Up
33. Doors to Nowhere
34. What Friends Are For
35. Birthday
36. Confessions
37. Rehearsal
39. Rumors
40. First Date
41. Gifts
42. The New Year
43. Interrogation
44. Rainy Day
45. Conflicted
46. In-Laws
47. Sleepover
48. Another Sports Festival
49. Torment
50. Empathy
51. Midnight Rambling
52. Change of Pace
53. A Teacher's Worth
54. Abroad
55. California Girls
56. Facing Reality
57. Long Overdue
58. Summer Festival
special chapter announcement!

38. The Play

670 25 17
By oikawahatesme

The backstage was a flurry of activity as Kuri and her classmates rushed back and forth, piecing together last-minute preparations. The pressure to perfect the production took a toll on everyone in class, particularly Kuri. Stress always lurked in her mind since she had to worry about script inaccuracies, flaws in her performance, and any big-picture organization errors that might crop up. To say the life of a writer-actor-director was difficult would be an understatement. But today, she could take a more hands-off approach. Everyone knew their roles and responsibilities, so she could focus completely on becoming Hinako.

The crew had already set the stage for the first scene, and the cast members were putting their finishing touches on their hair and makeup. Kuri didn't have to worry about keeping her hair neat since Hinako was supposed to look a little less put-together. Kuri had styled her hair into two small braids after waking that morning and hadn't touched them since. Her outfit was also a non-issue, for the most part. Her headband did give her occasional trouble, but luckily she only needed it for her first scene. Since she had little else to do, Kuri helped the stage crew by setting aside her cloak for the forest scenes, leaving it on a table in the stage left wing so they wouldn't have to grab it for her later.

While she was by the stage's edge, Kuri slinked beside the curtains and listened to the audience beyond. She could hear indistinct muttering as people seated themselves. Kuri smiled, noting from the volume that there was a large crowd. She hoped they would like the play.

Kuri hurried back to where everyone else was, thinking she could offer a bit more help before the show started, but instead, her classmates had gathered in a circle.

"Oh, Kuri! There you are," Mina said, beckoning Kuri to stand with her. "It's time for a speech!"

"By all of us?" Kuri asked with a raised eyebrow, glancing at Mina, then to Izuku and Ochako standing on her other side.

"Sounds like a lot of talking," Ochako said, catching Kuri's concern.

"And we've only got two minutes left," Izuku said.

"Oh, fine!" Mina exclaimed. "Everybody, come in closer." They all shuffled together and placed hands on each other's shoulders to form a large ring. "We've all worked super hard over the past month, and now it's gonna pay off. Y'all are amazing, and we're gonna demolish the stage tonight. It's showtime, bitches, let's break a leg!"

The class cheered, then quickly separated to find their places. Kuri didn't move at first, wanting to mentally check if she had readied everything she needed before heading to her position. She rolled down the list: hair, maid outfit, cloak, scene two props... And suddenly, Katsuki was standing beside her.

"No dancing away your anxiety this time?" he asked. Kuri's eyes traveled from his feet to his smirking face. That suit looked damn good on him. Kuri needed to thank their costume team more.

"Don't worry, I won't be nervous if you're up there too," Kuri said, grinning. "Plus, we've gotta kill UA with our acting."

Suddenly, Izuku asked everyone to go to their places.

"I guess this is goodbye," Katsuki said, but he didn't move to leave. "I'll see you on stage."

"Yup, let's meet in the forest. It'll be our secret rendezvous."

"Not so secret if our siblings are with us."

"True," Kuri chuckled. "Okay, we should go now. Good luck, Katsuki."

"You too, Bunny."

They waved at each other before parting ways, with Kuri heading to the left wing and Katsuki heading to the right to be at the appropriate spot for their entrances.

Kuri watched as the curtains drew back to form a narrow opening, and Mina stepped through it to the other side. She was met with polite applause as the spotlight illuminated her. Kuri listened to Mina's footsteps as she padded to the edge of the stage and sat down. Then, she began her monologue.

Kuri couldn't recite it from memory since she hadn't written it. In the days before they chose to pitch the play for the school festival, Kuri and her friends thought of how they could make the story more interesting. Their original plan was just a fairytale with a coming-of-age theme, but they worried it was too cliche. To combat this, Mina introduced the idea of a narrator who would "read" the story to the audience and act as a framing device. Since she proposed the idea, the four agreed that Mina should have the role of the narrator and decide her lines. Plus, she was the best in class at engaging an audience through any means.

Kuri also couldn't recite it because Mina changed her wording every time. This was fine since Mina had outstanding improv skills, but Kuri hadn't expected her opening spiel to allude that she was reading a fairytale to small children, pretending the audience was a class full of kids. Mina's extempore jokes earned some laughs from the crowd as she continued, establishing the world of The Noble and The Maid. Kuri heard faintly the sound of Mina flipping through the first pages of the thick, yellowed book that Momo had borrowed from her home library. Unbeknownst to the audience, it had the script tucked inside so Mina could offer lines if any other cast members forgot.

"And so..." Mina said, the curtains drawing open at her cue. Even in the low light, it was easy to make out the shape of the wonderful platform the set design team had built. It took up most of stage right and stood a half meter higher than the rest of the stage. Fumikage gracefully ascended the platform's steps adjacent to the stage right wing. He sat on a small bed in the center of the platform. "...the noble's son Yutori, knowing his parents would not listen to his pleas, resigned himself to the knowledge that he would remain in the Miyamoto estate for a long, long time."

The stage lights yawned to life, gently illuminating Yutori's room, and he heaved a wistful sigh as he gazed out the window (which was basically a square on wheels). He began a soliloquy, speaking of his loneliness and the isolation that came with his noble status. Not even the maids or guards were willing to share more than a few words with him. Yutori stood and moved to his easel beside the bed, where an unfinished self-portrait sat. Yutori remarked to the painting that it would have to wait for completion until his father let one of the maids get more paint. He suddenly heard a commotion from beyond his door, and Yutori turned to glance. An exasperated guard—Tenya, who had picked up two additional roles—stepped into Yutori's room.

"My Lord, there are strange visitors here to see you," Tenya announced, giving Yutori a look that begged him to reject the randos. Yutori was taken aback. He never had visitors.

"Send them in," he insisted. "And leave us be, so we may speak in peace."

The guard looked worrisome but begrudgingly walked off stage, allowing two unusually-dressed teens to waltz in. Though Yutori welcomed them with an open hand, his eagerness was met with disrespect as the two strangers whipped out staffs and cast a spell.

The transformation sequence was almost dizzying. The main lights dimmed, and colored lights flashed on and off as the mages circled Yutori, waving their staffs, which had shimmery ribbons attached to them. Dark Shadow crept over Fumikage's body, morphing Yutori into a purple-black form with glowing yellow eyes. He collapsed to his knees as the lights returned to normal, and the mages ran back out the way they came.

Yutori was still for a moment, then looked at his sides. Where his arms used to be, there were now giant black wings. An unfortunate development, he called it, nonetheless his current reality. Then a thought occurred to him: perhaps this would be his chance to leave the noble life behind once and for all. But how would life be as a painting bird?

Kuri knew that line, not only because it was goofy but because it signaled Katsuki's entrance. She watched Katsuki intently as he walked up to the platform. Good luck, Katsuki. You'll do great.

"Brother, I was thinking we could play chess... WHAT ON EARTH—?!" Anri exclaimed as he saw the bird-like monstrosity and stumbled back.

"Oh, Anri!" Yutori exclaimed, rustling his wings excitedly. "I may have stumbled upon a way out of this dreadful place!"

"Yutori?!" Anri asked, disbelieving. "What happened?"

As Yutori explained how he'd reached such a state, Kuri stared dreamily at Katsuki. She never tired of watching him act, no matter how much he rehearsed the same lines. The pretentious inflection and haughty mannerisms he undertook while playing Anri were dorky on a surface level, but it paid off in his convincing performance. He went above and beyond for their play, and Kuri couldn't help but feel it was for her sake. Maybe it wasn't, but in any case, she found his effort endearing and inspiring. Like Kuri, this role was forced upon him, but Katsuki did his best anyway, and clearly, his passion for the play grew over time. Kuri wondered if she should follow his lead and at least try to care about things she didn't choose to do. Like hero work.

Everything in her life led back to the question of where her path led. If Kuri thought about her family, friends, school, hobbies, and—apparently—even her crush, her mind would drift to heroism. Could she, like Katsuki did with the play, learn to enjoy constantly risking her life for others? Could Kuri at least grin and bear it to have something to put one hundred percent of herself into? She wished she could leave it all behind. Just forget about the future and stay in the joy and comfort of the performance where The Script predetermined every move. If only life had one of those.

Kuri had no more time to dwell on those gloomy thoughts because the scene was about to end, meaning she would be up soon. She grabbed her stack of white sheets, which Kuri imagined Hinako was supposed to take to one of the guest rooms of the estate and continued to watch the brothers converse.

"Don't you see?" Yutori exclaimed. "This is my chance to run away and leave all this nobility nonsense behind." He turned to the window, and Dark Shadow spread his wings as if Yutori were about to take flight, but Anri crossed to stand in his way.

"Hey, wait!" Anri protested. "No, you can't leave me here alone. Besides, how will you paint without arms?" They stood before each other and stared for an intense moment.

"Fine, then, follow me," Yutori said. His wings ruffled again, but this time they flapped, and Yutori rose into the air. Kuri heard the audience members gasp in awe. Yutori flew down the steps out of his room (AKA, he exited stage right) and Anri, though conflicted, followed him. Kuri's eyes trailed the two as they made their way into the wings on the other side of the stage from her.

Kuri wasn't on yet—Kaede had to be turned into a frog first—but the electricity in her nerves was already surging. Tsu walked past her onto stage, and Mina introduced her character. As the scene began, Kuri rapidly ran through her lines in her head, hoping a quick review would prevent her from forgetting as soon as she stepped into the spotlight. Then, Kuri noticed Katsuki waving at her, and she refocused her eyes on him. He shot her a reassuring nod that melted some of Kuri's performance anxiety. His support was much appreciated, and Kuri returned the gesture with a smile and nodded back at him. Yes, the play counted on her performance, but Kuri knew her friends wouldn't mind even if she messed up. Everything would be fine. She just had to believe.

-----

Katsuki stood farther offstage than he desired, but he had to leave room for the stage crew. Luckily, it wasn't hard to see the performance from where he stood. And it wasn't time for the part he cared about anyway.

Kaede was busy dusting stuff and monologuing about a life past the confines of the estate building when the idiot mages ran in. She asked who they were, they panicked, shit happened, and Kaede became a frog. It was more interesting than Katsuki made it sound—Kaede's metamorphosis was mesmerizingly choreographed to facilitate her quick-change—but he was busy thinking about Hinako's entrance. Not Kaede's frantically muttered monologue that Katsuki had already seen.

"Oh, what am I going to do?!" Kaede exclaimed. Finally, her cue. Katsuki watched Kuri leisurely emerge from the other wing, carrying a bundle of sheets. She hummed a quiet, lighthearted tune as she walked until she stumbled upon the frog in the center of her path. She stepped aside and spared an annoyed glance at the tripping hazard, only for her to smile in delight.

"Hey, what are you doing here, little froggy?" she asked. Hinako's reaction to spotting a person-sized frog was perplexing, but that line never failed to make Katsuki smile. Kuri diligently practiced to master Hinako's lines and expressions, and her earnestness was contagious. In the early days of rehearsal, Katsuki was unsure of his role. He hadn't wanted to be in the main cast, and it bothered Katsuki that he hadn't earned his spot. So Katsuki decided he would have to do all he could in the present to prove he deserved to play Anri. It seemed Kuri had a similar thought process because although she also expressed discontent for acting, she worked each day to improve herself. And Kuri had come a long way, considering how awkward her line delivery used to be. Seeing her now filled him with pride.

"Hinako!" Kaede exclaimed. "It's me!"

"Huh?! Kaede, is that you?" Hinako asked. "What the heck happened?!"

As Kaede rapidly relayed the events leading to this predicament, Hinako developed a deep frown. In a voice brimming with resentment, Hinako threw her sheets to the floor and declared that she would find those mages and get revenge. Kaede said she would come along to look after Hinako, then the two dashed off stage.

Katsuki, caught up in his admiration, almost didn't notice Jirou handing him his cloak for scene three. Katsuki nodded thankfully and quickly donned it, securing it at the collar and throwing the hood over his head.

It was time for his first scene with Kuri.

The lights were down for a few seconds as the crew removed the set pieces, leaving an empty stage with only the platform and a painted backdrop of a dense forest. As the lights brightened again, Hinako and Kaede stepped into the woods. Kaede hopped along the ground, wondering in which direction the mages could have gone. She investigated the floor, searching for footprints, while Hinako scanned around for movement behind trees.

"They can't have gotten far," Kaede said. "And I'm sure they live somewhere nearby; they hadn't looked weary from traveling."

Hinako meandered closer to the staircase on the front of the platform facing the audience, which was around center stage, and frustratedly placed her fists on her hips.

"Why did they even do this to you?" Hinako questioned. "Who comes after the maid of a marquess?" On cue, Katsuki and Fumikage marched on stage and immediately spoke as if they had been engaged in dialogue already.

"—and I am continuously baffled by your incessant desire to leave home. It has everything we need!" Katsuki exclaimed, immersing himself in Anri's point of view.

"Besides companions," Yutori remarked. Anri rolled his eyes and scoffed.

"At least there's much less... dirt."

Anri went silent as he noticed the two figures only a few meters away: a maid girl and a monstrous-looking frog.

"Lord Anri?" the frog said. "What are you doing out here?"

Anri tottered on his feet, shocked to see yet another strange creature. The girl asked if the bird thing beside Anri was his brother because he had Yutori's voice. Anri was at a loss for words, so Yutori answered for himself. The other three conferred for a bit and realized they were facing the same issue.

Yutori shuffled forward to where the girl stood while Anri stayed back, glancing between his brother and the other two with concern. The maid introduced herself as Hinako and offered Yutori her hand to shake. He paused, taken aback, before chuckling and sticking a wing within her grasp. As they greeted each other, Hinako declared that they might as well drop all formalities with each other since they weren't in the estate anymore. Besides, with the fix they were in, they might as well be equals. Yutori took her suggestion in stride, while Anri objected to this sense of equivalent status (classist asshole...).

Then the frog timidly introduced herself as Kaede, Hinako's older sister, and seemed to be hiding behind her sister. Hinako said Kaede was shy because she had never talked to Yutori or Anri before, despite working in their home for many years. Yutori said not to mind and that they could begin speaking as they searched for the mages together.

As the scene progressed, Katsuki found that he wasn't very nervous. He hadn't expected to have stage fright anyway, but the sense of calm washing over him was unexpected. Perhaps the familiarity of the scene and the people beside him made each line flow that much smoother.

The four trekked around the stage, simulating their journey to where Yutori suspected the mages resided (through his past research into potential places to restart his life, Yutori learned of a magic village not far from their estate located deep in the forest). On the way, Yutori and Kaede chatted to each other about his intentions to leave home and become a painter. Anri interjected with a line expressing his uneasiness toward Yutori's plan, and Hinako scolded him for not supporting his brother. After that, an awkward silence fell over their group. Then, Yutori said they needed to make a turn, and they exited at stage left.

They were off stage momentarily for scene four. Mina offered her voice during the transition, introducing the marquess and marchioness (Denki and Momo) when they appeared to discuss their sons' disappearance with a guard. The three concluded that Yutori and Anri had run from home and sent knights after them. Then, they walked off stage, there was a quick set change, and the sibling pairs trudged on for act two, scene one.

Anri complained from the get-go, pleading for them to stop and rest because they had been walking for two hours, and he was starving.

"Then, let's go look for some food," Hinako said. She watched her sister shyly standing beside Yutori, sparing interested glances at him from time to time, and smirked. "You two stay here and make camp while we search. Come along, Anri."

Hinako grabbed Anri's wrist and pulled him deeper into the forest, and he complained more along the way. Unlike Hinako, Anri was oblivious to the connection between their older siblings. He wanted to stay back even if it meant intruding upon Yutori and Kaede's chance to get to know each other and fall in love.

Katsuki sure was glad they were forced out of the scene since he and Kuri could have their own time alone in the wings. He wasn't sure it would be romantic, but any time with Kuri was appreciated. They stood in silence for a few seconds, then Kuri tapped his arm, and he looked at her.

"You're doing great out there," she whispered to him with a grin. "Also, I was scared for a second that our mics would be on and everyone would hear that."

"You're good, too," Katsuki replied in a hushed tone. "Keep it up."

They briefly held eye contact, smiling at each other like idiots. Awkward, bumbling idiots in love who couldn't handle looking at each other for more than five seconds and soon enough averted their gazes. Katsuki tried to focus on the performance instead. The two were still talking about their lives, with Kaede opening up about her dream to travel the world if she weren't limited by her meager savings.

"If everything goes well today, we should go out for ice cream again," Kuri suddenly whispered. Katsuki slid his gaze over to regard Kuri. She was fixated on her sleeve, pinching the fabric and folding it back and forth. Kuri hadn't exhibited her nervous behaviors in a while. The last time Katsuki could remember her acting less than confident with him was her birthday a month and a half ago. "Or something else, if you prefer."

Katsuki wasn't sure if her nerves were because of the play or a sudden reversion to her shyer flirting style. If the latter were the case, he'd be marginally relieved because her teasing destabilized him. Kuri seemed eager to be more than friends, but how was he supposed to tell her he liked her when she kept flustering him? It almost felt like she was deliberately preventing him from gaining the courage to confess. Though it was more likely that wasn't her intention, and he was just pathetic and immature and unable to handle a girl calling him cute.

At some point, he had to grow up, and Katsuki knew that now was the time. The only thing holding him back was his stupid, childish fear, and if Katsuki wasn't afraid to fail at acting in front of a huge crowd, he wasn't afraid to ask Kuri out.

"Like a date?" Katsuki asked. Kuri's head whipped up, and she donned an inquisitive frown as she studied his face. Katsuki glanced at her with a relaxed look. He had no idea how Kuri managed to call him cute and keep a straight face; it took every fiber of his being to keep his expression still (luckily, the low lights hid his lobster-red face). She stared at him for a few tense moments, during which Katsuki's brain nearly combusted. Then, Kuri, blissfully unaware of the raging fire of embarrassment scorching Katsuki's insides, cracked a smile.

"Yeah, like a date." Kuri looked at him for another moment before diverting her attention to the actors on stage to watch for their cue. Katsuki's relief nearly melted him. He scored a date!

Suddenly, Katsuki noticed a figure creeping up beside him. He turned his head only to come face to face with Deku, who looked like he was trying to raise the roof with his eyebrows.

"I heard all of that," Deku whispered.

Katsuki shot him a heated glare and contemplated throttling him for eavesdropping, but refrained because Deku would most certainly make a loud commotion. Also, Kuri would definitely be mad at him. He turned to look at her instead, hoping it would calm his homicidal urges.

Deku stepped in front of them to present their wild fruit props for Katsuki and Kuri's imminent reentrance to the scene. Kuri nodded her head in silent thanks and took a prop. Katsuki nabbed the other without sparing a glance at Deku, but the green-haired bitch gripped Katsuki's shoulder to demand his attention. Katsuki glared at Deku, who mouthed the words "Talk to me later." Katsuki shook his head in reply. He did not need to further discuss his love life with that idiot. Deku frowned and walked off. Unfortunately, Katsuki knew he'd be back. Deku had a hobby of constantly annoying Katsuki.

At their cue, Katsuki and Kuri arrived on stage again, announcing their discovery of wild fruits and unintentionally interrupting Yutori and Kaede's conversation at a particularly tender moment. Hinako laughed as she told that Anri picked and almost ate poisonous berries during their search.

"Your brother isn't much of a survivalist," Hinako said to Yutori, nudging him with her elbow. Anri scowled and dumped his fruits in front of his brother.

"Well, Hinako, not everyone has a history of sneaking out and exploring for their whole childhood," Kaede said as Hinako handed her some food.

"Yes, as she said," Anri spoke through clenched teeth, seething. "Because I am a noble with an extensive education, not some two-bit maid."

Hinako stomped over to Anri and grabbed him by the collar, getting all up in his face. She dared him to call her such names again, and they glared at each other. Thanks to rehearsal, Katsuki was (mostly) used to Kuri pushing him around like this and their faces being so close. He still blushed from time to time, though, and today Kuri did as well. As Katsuki caught the pink spreading along her cheeks, he fought to keep a frown. Anri wouldn't blush at a time like this.

Upon further thought, Anri and Hinako were strangely similar to him and Kuri. Minus the tumultuous romance, the antagonistic circumstantial companions to friends pipeline was the same. It wouldn't even be a stretch if there were a romantic twist to the characters' eventual friendship. Katsuki could imagine Anri blurting out a confession while the two frolicked in the garden or some shit after the events of the play. When they were alone in a quiet place, Anri would finally notice how cute Hinako was, and with his awkward tendencies, he wouldn't refrain from speaking his exact thoughts. But maybe he was just projecting.

Kaede, in a surprisingly authoritative voice, commanded Hinako to let go of Anri, and she complied. Then, Kaede whipped her head to look in the opposite direction and said she could hear people in the distance. The four stood and listened before Yutori groaned and said it was probably the knights the Marquess and Marchioness always hired to retrieve him when he ran off. He urged everyone to run, and they left the stage in a hurry.

Katsuki stood next to Kuri again while they waited in the wings for act two, scene two to start. After the stage crew moved the set pieces and Mina provided some scene setting, the young mages walked on stage to greet their furious mentor. As the mentor mage rose from his seat, about to chew out his students for leaving home without permission, Deku's big head popped up next to Katsuki.

Katsuki stared daggers at him and shook his head, but Deku raised his eyebrows and nodded insistently. Why the fuck was Deku so adamant to know what Katsuki was up to? All Deku did for a living was follow him around and pester him. Kuri would say that he was "just trying to be friendly" and... Damn it, she was probably right. And there was no point in resisting Deku's questions because he would wheedle out whatever he wanted to know about Katsuki's love life, whether they talked now or later. If Katsuki just told Deku what he wanted to hear, maybe he'd have some peace for the rest of the day.

Katsuki rolled his eyes and huffed, indicating his surrender. Deku smirked and circled behind Katsuki to stand next to Kuri.

"I'll be stealing Kacchan from you for a moment," Deku whispered to her.

"What for?" she asked, glancing at Katsuki.

"Re-securing his mic pack. He said earlier it feels like it's about to fall off," Deku said, lying through his teeth. "Don't worry, we'll be quick."

Kuri gave them a thumbs up and said to hurry as Katsuki reluctantly followed Deku backstage. When they were out of earshot of their classmates, Deku stopped and sprung an intense question on Katsuki.

"Are you going to confess soon?"

"Why are you asking?" Katsuki shot back. Deku already knew that he liked Kuri and planned to confess at some point, yet, the bitch still thought it was necessary to privately interrogate him. He was like a fly that kept evading extermination attempts, wings whizzing until the repetitive sound nearly drove you insane. Buzz, buzz. Are you gonna tell her, are you gonna tell her?

"Because I want to give you some advice on winning her over."

Katsuki glared at Deku, jaw tense as he considered his words. Deku's offer was tempting, and Katsuki was willing to bite. Fine. He'd tell the truth. Katsuki sighed forcefully and looked at the wall.

"I don't know," Katsuki muttered.

"Is that because you're unsure about your feel—"

"No," Katsuki cut him off. "I know my emotions."

"Oh, so you're just nervous about telling her?"

Katsuki's face reddened.

"I'm not—"

"Ugh, don't even try to lie to me, Kacchan," Deku groaned. "Anyway, all I wanted to say is Kuri is ready whenever you are. She loves you. Just go for it. We're all rooting for you."

Katsuki furrowed his brow at Deku's unsolicited encouragement. What did he gain by telling Katsuki any of this? Must be an ego thing. Or, like Kuri would claim, just friendly advice. Unfortunately, Katsuki did feel a bit more confident now, so Deku had managed to help him.

"I didn't need you to tell me all this, Deku. I already knew," Katsuki scoffed.

"If that's the case, go and do something," Deku said. Katsuki narrowed his eyes at the green-haired menace. Despite Deku's tendency to leave Katsuki feeling worse after every interaction, he managed to aid Katsuki with his love proclamation plan. Maybe Deku did give a shit about him. Maybe friendship wouldn't be such a far leap. Katsuki smirked.

"I will."

And I'm gonna be the first of us to get a partner. Suck it, Deku.

"Good luck, Kacchan!" Deku beamed. "Now, let's get you back to your soon-to-be-girlfriend. Don't wanna be late for your cue, after all!"

Katsuki rolled his eyes, but a thankful smile remained on his face.

They returned to the stage left wing, and Katsuki peeked at the stage and saw the young mages bickering in their room, meaning that the scene was nearly over, but he was back just in time. It would be awkward if he didn't show up for act two, scene three since that was when the four showed up at the mages' house and demanded to be changed back into humans. The mentor mage would fix Yutori and Kaede, then furiously scold his students as the four left, albeit anticlimactically. It'd be weird if Anri were suddenly gone. Perhaps he ate some bad berries and passed out in the mages' front yard.

Katsuki strolled back to Kuri's side.

"You're back," Kuri sighed in relief. "I was worried you wouldn't make it in time."

"Yeah... Had trouble with the mic tape."

Katsuki flexed his hands as he reflected on his conversation with Deku. Kuri already agreed on a date after the festival finished, but it meant little if Katsuki still hadn't confessed by then. Kuri gave him her heart months ago, yet he was still twiddling his thumbs until the perfect moment arrived.

But there was no such thing as a perfect moment; Katsuki could either act now or put it off until either of their feelings fizzled away. And he was determined to conclude their tango between friends and romantic partners. Even though he was neither prepared nor sure about the schematics of his confession, whatever he did wouldn't change his message: I love you.

"Ready for our time in the limelight?" Kuri asked.

Katsuki looked at her in the low light, feeling a sudden compulsion to kiss her. Later, he told himself, and instead let a sly grin slide over his face.

"You know it."

-----

Kuri rocked back and forth on her heels as she waited for Katsuki and Izuku to return. There hadn't been any road bumps yet, and Kuri expected the play would continue to flow smoothly. As long as Katsuki came back in time.

When he returned thirty seconds before they had to go back on stage, Kuri took it as a sign that things would only go up from there. Sure, Katsuki was walking a precariously fastened tightrope with that timing, but what was a high school play without a little recklessness?

As Kuri and the others stepped back on stage, she channeled herself into Hinako's mind once again. Now that Kaede and Yutori were in their original forms again, it was time to go home! Or so Hinako and Anri thought.

Yutori pointed in the opposite direction of the estate, saying he wanted to take off to the nearest town. Anri proclaimed his disapproval. Hinako agreed with Anri that it would be better to return to the estate first, and she turned to Kaede, assuming her sister would agree. However, Kaede was torn. She expressed this, saying that watching over Hinako was her first priority, but...

"But what?" Hinako asked. Kaede wrung her hands as she stood in between her sister and Yutori.

"I want to see the world, Hinako," she said quietly. "I can't stay in that place forever, looking after you and cleaning up your messes."

An argument ensued, in which the sisters both said hurtful things that they didn't mean. Yutori and Anri tried to diffuse the situation, but it was no use. Hinako no longer wanted to listen to her sister, even as she tried to retract her words and compromise. Hinako turned her back to Kaede and pouted, saying that if she didn't want to take care of her anymore, Kaede might as well leave now.

Yutori threw his hands up in defeat and said they'd go then. Anri took personal offense to this and assumed that his brother said this because he had no regard for Anri's loneliness troubles.

"If you wish to leave me that much, then fine, I'll return home alone!" Anri exclaimed before storming off. Hinako's head whirled side to side, eyes darting between Anri quickly departing and Kaede beside the nobleman she seemed to have the hots for.

Kaede made her choice, so Hinako would too. And her reason wouldn't be selfish. Hinako ran after Anri, dashing off stage.

"Wait, you don't even know the way back!" she exclaimed. Kuri came to a screeching halt as she reached the stage left wing, then swerved to take the path behind the stage that led to the stage right wing. She needed to be there for her entrance into the next scene, and luckily she had at least a minute of conversation between Yutori and Kaede to get there.

While she was off stage, Yutori and Kaede talked to one another and immediately realized the error of their ways. How could they leave their siblings on such a sad note? They were so consumed with achieving their dreams that they failed to consider who they would hurt. The two decided to find their respective siblings and apologize to at least have an amicable goodbye.

Kuri caught the last half of their conversation as she arrived, out of breath, beside Katsuki in the stage right wing. At least her acute tiredness would contribute to her performance.

After Yutori and Kaede exited, Anri stormed on stage. Hinako followed close behind, jogging after him. Anri made it all the way to the opposite side of the stage before he halted and turned to look back at Hinako.

"Why are you following me?" he asked icily.

"You're going the wrong way," Hinako answered. "It'd be bad if you got lost."

Anri uttered a quiet, "Oh."

"Also, I care that you feel hurt because I am too," Hinako said, walking across the platform to sit on the front-facing steps. "Care to talk about it?"

Anri joined her on the steps and hesitantly explained that while he wished only happiness for his brother, Yutori's departure would inevitably result in Anri losing his only friend. He didn't want to be all alone. Hinako hummed thoughtfully after hearing this.

"My sister took care of me my whole life," Hinako said. "She still acts like I'm a little kid incapable of being on my own."

"You're better than me when it comes to these woods, though," Anri admitted.

"Exactly. I'm nearly an adult, for heaven's sake," Hinako sighed, then placed a hand on Anri's shoulder. "Maybe I'm not very responsible at work, so Kaede doesn't fully trust me, but I promise I'm responsible enough to be your friend. If you would like to be friends."

Anri loosened his expression slightly, letting a smile peek through.

"Thanks, Hinako."

Kuri couldn't look away from Katsuki's cute face; his smile was too charming for her not to stare. She was lucky to be in the play, so she had an excuse to look at him up close. His irises were like two little cherries, glistening under the stage lights and undoubtedly sweet. Kuri was also lucky that she didn't have the next line because she most certainly would've missed it, considering she was caught up thinking about nonsense.

They hadn't looked at each other for more than a few seconds when suddenly loud footsteps rumbled the platform. Hinako and Anri turned their heads to look at the oncomers, only to see Yutori, Kaede, and the knights (played by Tooru, Denki, and Tenya in armor worn over their mage costumes).

Kaede awkwardly informed Hinako and Anri that they had been coming to find them but were caught along the way.

"It seems we shall return home together after all," Yutori nodded. Hinako and Anri glanced at each other. He raised an eyebrow and she shrugged and pushed herself to her feet. Hinako suggested they get a move on since it was nearly dark, and they all exited the stage.

The lights went down for the stage crew to change the set for the last time, changing the scene back to the estate. Denki and Momo entered the stage before the lights went up. They were on the platform, with the marchioness sitting tensely on the edge of a cushy armchair and the marquess standing beside her.

A few moments after the stage brightened, the knights entered from stage left to announce the arrival of the marquess' sons and two maids. They stepped aside to allow the four to approach the nobles. The marquess and marchioness started toward the pairs of siblings and welcomed them back with smiles.

Yutori stepped forward and declared his immediate intention to leave home because he felt stifled at the Miyamoto estate and would rather travel the world as a painter. Yutori jutted his chin up defiantly and took hold of Kaede's hand. He gave her a loving glance, and she nodded back. The marquess and marchioness gave each other an unsure look.

"And I shall quit my job here as a maid," Kaede said. She suddenly turned to look back at Hinako. "I hope you won't mind."

Hinako, instead of angering, shrugged and smiled. She said that whatever Kaede decided to do was fine with her because all she wanted was for her sister to relax and live out her dreams. Of course, Hinako would miss her, but Kaede deserved a break from babysitting.

"Will you be able to look after yourself?" Kaede asked.

"Oh, come on, Kae," Hinako rolled her eyes. "I'm old enough to take care of myself, don't worry. Didn't you see me out in the forest? Plus, I'm friends with Anri now, and I've gotta keep him company."

The sisters laughed, and Kaede momentarily broke away from Yutori to hug her sister. She tearfully promised to write to Hinako and visit on occasion.

"Well...?" Yutori asked his parents once Kaede returned to his side. "What do you say?"

The marchioness sighed, and she and her husband shared a resigned look.

"I guess we shouldn't force you to stay here now that you're an adult," the marchioness said. "It's time I stop fretting over my baby boy because he's not much of a baby anymore."

The marchioness began to tear up and the marquess held her hand consolingly. He stepped forward and placed a hand on Yutori's shoulder.

"My son, you are free."

Only Anri was left to object. Or not?

"I'm not happy to see you go, but I can't stop you from living out your dreams if father and mother allow it," Anri said, walking over to Yutori's side. He patted his brother on the shoulder. "Paint something nice for us."

Yutori released Kaede's hand and wrapped his brother in a tight hug. The sisters stepped back and watched with wide smiles. Everything was wrapping up nicely.

Somehow Kuri and her classmates managed to make the play work, and the sense of accomplishment was irreplaceable. This script, originating from Kuri's need to escape her love troubles, had erupted into a collaborative art piece.

Without realizing it, Kuri kind of had written the story about her life: a child wants to abandon their family's expectations and leaves home. Luckily, in the end, Yutori achieved his dream of becoming a traveling artist. Kuri had yet to see how her life would play out. Could she run from her responsibilities? Would she find the love of her life along the way?

Kuri and Tsu watched as Katsuki and Fumikage embraced. She anticipated Katsuki's next line—prompting the girls to join them in a group hug. A sweet, little ending to the play where Kuri got to hug Katsuki, they said a few last lines, and the curtains drew to a close.

But despite their many rehearsals and the blood, sweat, and tears shed for this production, Katsuki broke from the pattern in a stilted fashion.

"I also have something to say," Katsuki declared, breaking from Fumikage's grasp. Kuri's eyes widened in abject confusion. Why is he ad-libbing?

"Wait, what...?" Mina muttered.

To Kuri's horror, Katsuki turned to her and grabbed her hands. He's making me improv too?! She could feel Katsuki's hands were warm and damp, denoting nervousness. Kuri's hands were similarly warm as heat rose to her cheeks from being put on the spot.

As much as she wanted to frantically whisper, "What are you doing?!" she didn't want it to be picked up by her mic. Instead, she stared at him in panicked bewilderment. Katsuki returned her look with a nervous, adorable smile. Kuri didn't get it. Is this some sort of prank? Why is he holding my hands? I am going to SCREAM this is so embarrassing...

Kuri squeezed his hands, wishing she could send a message in Morse Code and tell him to stop. She spared a glance at the audience, and of course, everyone was looking at them. Duh, we're on stage.

"I've realized that there's something I need to tell you, but I've been too scared to say it," Katsuki said. Kuri furrowed her brow. This wasn't about the play anymore... was it?

Kuri glanced at Fumikage, standing a few steps behind Katsuki. He looked about as confused as Kuri, but he didn't seem like he was going to intervene. He gave Kuri a look that said, "I hope you can deal with this." She strained her eyes to look even further past Katsuki to the wings, where Izuku and Ochako stood side by side. They were... smiling?! Why would they smile at their play suddenly going off the rails? Katsuki, what the heck are you thinking... Kuri gulped.

"Well, Anri, what is it?" she said, trying to stay in character. She wouldn't let their play be completely ruined by Katsuki's unneeded improv. If this ruined the play, Kuri would be very mad about it.

Katsuki stared into her eyes, and Kuri recognized something in them: the shine and tenacity Kuri had months ago at the pool. The stage lights reflecting off the surface of Katsuki's eyes filled them with luminosity, and suddenly Kuri understood.

Oh.

That's what this is about.

Kuri released the tension in her shoulders she had unknowingly built up, and her eyes softened. A toast to the death of their tumultuous friendship.

"We can't just stay friends, Kuri, because I'm in love with you." There. The confession she had awaited for a month. She had turned the flirting up to a hundred, hoping it would prod those words out. It had turned into a game of sorts: how much did she have to say until he got the nerve? But this was not a game anymore. Katsuki's feelings for her were real and in her face. He'd truly caught her off guard. Katsuki stared at her lovingly and expectantly. "Will you go out with me?"

Kuri could hear Mina's ecstatic giggles picked up by her mic. In the corner of her eye, she saw her other classmates in the wings, shaking each other excitedly. They were all in on it.

As the crowd exchanged confused whispers, slowly but surely, a grin spread across Kuri's face. Her excitement rose, bubbling to the surface and sending all her worries away. She couldn't stifle a laugh and brought a hand up to cover her mouth. Kuri peered up at Katsuki, who stared at her with anxious eyes. That desperate, lovable gaze. She couldn't say no to him, because against all odds, he had become her dearest companion.

"You should already know I'm crazy for you, Katsuki. So, yeah."

Katsuki visibly surged with joy as a smile exploded across his face. Kuri grinned back, and she felt she could hardly breathe. Her dream came true. It really came true. Tears of happiness pricked at the corners of her eyes, but instead of searing her sockets, they felt warm. The drops comfortingly embraced her eyelashes, which had seen too many tears shed in agony.

Katsuki grabbed her in a hug, and Kuri squeezed her arms around him. She rested her head against his shoulder and felt the world stop for an instant. It was only Kuri and the cozy warmth of Katsuki. Her grin grew even wider.

Kuri snapped out of it when she heard the crowd begin to cheer. Some of her schoolmates in the audience clapped, and a select few whooped enthusiastically. She could hear her classmates squealing in the wings, but she didn't bother to glance at them. All that mattered was him.

Kuri pulled away from the hug, moving her hands to hold Katsuki's face instead of his waist. She peered up into his ruby-red eyes, once tough like those gems but now crinkled at the corners. Katsuki's grin spread from ear to ear. She'd never seen him so glad, but the feeling was mutual. Finally, after all their fights, the mayhem of miscommunication, and the threats to their friendship, they would be happy.

Kuri caught his eyes as they dipped down to her lips, and she smirked.

"Oh, you wanna kiss me?" she teased. "The tables have turned since last time."

Katsuki's skin grew warmer under Kuri's palms, but he countered his underlying timidity with a sly expression.

"Have I ever told you how beautiful you are?" Katsuki asked with a suave grin. Kuri laughed and shyly glanced away.

"I don't think so..." she said, looking back into his eyes. Where had his sudden confidence come from? She wasn't used to him flirting. "That came out of nowhere. Am I gonna receive a lot more of these compliments in the future? You probably need to make up for being a meanie when we first met."

Katsuki rolled his eyes, and Kuri giggled. This was it. The moment she'd dreamed of for a whole year. She knew what came next.

"Just shut up and kiss me, Bunny..."

Kuri stood on her tiptoes and closed her eyes as she pulled Katsuki's face toward hers. His lips under hers felt oh-so-familiar, even though they had only kissed once before.

That day, Kuri learned that there was magic in a second kiss. She always thought it was funny when movies and television punctuated a kiss with fireworks or a camera shot wrapping around the couple. There weren't pyrotechnics in everyday life, and you couldn't watch yourself in the third person; there was only the sensation of another person's lips against yours. Yet as they stood there with closed eyes in a room full of their watchful peers, Kuri understood. Your surroundings didn't enhance the moment; the magic came from who you shared that experience with.

The crowd was in a frenzy, but it didn't matter what would happen next because she and Katsuki would face it together. Kuri and Katsuki's unrelenting grins broke apart their kiss, so she pulled back slightly to look at him again. Katsuki opened his eyes slowly, revealing his glittering irises.

Kuri suddenly felt everything at once: happiness, anxiety, satisfaction, and love. She patted Katsuki's cheek with her hand and glanced back at Tsu and Fumikage, who had waited patiently through their whole ordeal.

With her free hand, Kuri beckoned the other two over. Katsuki held out an arm as well. Tsu and Fumikage rushed to their sides, and the four linked arms. Kuri glanced at Tsu, giving her an apologetic look for going off script before she suddenly recited her last line.

"So, Kaede, is this goodbye?"

Tsu smiled.

"No, Hinako," she said, nodding toward Katsuki. Kuri turned her head to look at Katsuki—her new boyfriend. "This is only the beginning."

"And they all lived happily ever after!" Mina exclaimed, casting her book aside and throwing her hands up in the air. "The end!"

(A/N)

well i hope you're all as excited as i am about this development in the story hehe because i've got a lot more planned for these lovebirds now that they're together :D

also i'm on thanksgiving break rn and have an aspiration to get another chapter out this week so we'll see if that works out

- chris 🍽️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 32.1K 44
(Y/N) is a girl with a quirk, that likes to surprise. With her parents on another continent it's sometimes difficult for her to become a hero without...
286K 9.4K 144
_______________________________ "This is the story of how we became the greatest heroes." _________________________________ Nothing about Miyuki's pa...
80.1K 3.8K 79
。⋆。˚ ʚïɞ ˚。⋆。 ⊱ 𝙸𝚏 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛 𝚐𝚛𝚊𝚋 𝚖𝚎 𝚋𝚢 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚌𝚘𝚕𝚕𝚊𝚛 𝚕𝚒𝚔𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚊𝚐𝚊𝚒𝚗, 𝙸 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚎𝚗𝚍 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 �...
18.5K 704 39
This is a Katsuki Bakugo x Reader, Slow Updates! slight Shinso x reader (not really) An attempt at Enemies to Lovers Y/n Satou a girl who doesn't s...