โ๐—–๐—˜๐—ข ๐—ฅ๐—œ๐—ฉ๐—”๐—Ÿ๐—ฆ โ”โ” ๐—.๐—...

By jjkilytoo

Everything is fair in love and war. But what if you find both love and war in one person? "Are you perhaps ig... More

Introduction
Playlist | Teaser
ๅพท : Act I
01 | Click, thump
02 | Hit the ball(s)
03 | Alexa, play 'Stuck with you'
03.5 | Payback, Secretary Kim
04 | Makeup artist, Sherlock
05 | Fake dating, wifey
06 | Sit pretty in clouds
07 | Restocking limited edition shampoos
07.5 | Daft? Full Tilt Diva? Eren Yeager!
08 | Cruel world, Mon cheri
09 | Rival, fake, lover
09.5 | The blue in the red flames
ๅฎถ : Act II
10 | Gold brick of solid gold
12 | Ice cream melts hearts
13 | Warmth in that ice cream
13.5 | PS: the egg mask works
14 | Mrs Yoon a day, keep the wallet away
15 | Win her, winner
16 | Private Jet, honey
17 | Footprints of love's doom
18 | Golden, starfish
18.5 | Cromulent
19 | Result Day
ๅคข : Act III
20 | The repeat process
21 | Two heroes
22 | Cruisetitude
22.5 | The truth untold
23 | Fake it, say it
24 | Grisaille
25 | Jeon Holmes
26 | Home of the cold
27 | Bam, the saviour
28 | #MinBam
29 | Most sought bachelor
็พŽ: Act IV
30 | The Devil Wears Leopard
31 | The Miss Right
32 | Knowing too much
33 | The shopping date
34 | A reflection of the past
35 | Shallow Waters
36 | Shutter smiles and capture hearts
37 | Paris-dise
37.5 | You weren't even that drunk!
38 | Into the unknown
39 | A part of you, hidden
40 | It's the Parisian air
41 | A step closer to Home
ๆฐธ : Act V
42 | The most Paris-eque thing
43 | A catastrophe
43.5 | I want to be your light
44 | You thought it's the end
45 | Cinderella's fallen shoe
46 | Merry Chuseok
46.5 | Distractions
[Breaking news] : Yoon Minhee has called her own doom!
47 | The Outbreak
[Breaking news] : Chew on Ryu
48 | Behind the scenes
49 | A home to Hokkaido
50 | Turn a leaf over
Epilogue | You're my favourite rival
[NEW] bebeauty.com

11 | Dry lips, chapped memories

2.1K 142 8
By jjkilytoo

─── ·𖥸· ───

Minhee and Jeongguk are married. Legally.

She removed her wedding ring the day she met Jeongguk at the car wash, he still seemed to wear it. Accessories are Jeongguk's element, not hers. No one questions him but they'll question her if she wears it. Slightly, she is relieved that the whole dating thing forces her not to wear it. She couldn't bear the weight of the ring for one day.

"It's a private ceremony but both Jeongguk and Minhee are expected to speak out on it. The sooner, the better." Daejun says, smiling at Jeongguk.

"Give them a few days, and let them enjoy the start of their union in privacy." Minhee's mother says, elbowing her husband.

"Dad, can we not hold a private ceremony?"

The dinner table stills. Jeongguk, curious, tilts his head with a raise of an eyebrow and waits for Minhee to continue.

"Why Minhee? Did Jeongguk say something?" Mrs Jeon says, looking disappointedly at Jeongguk who widens his eyes, dumbfounded.

"Oh no no..." Minhee licks her lips. "I just wanted to hold a big ceremony. Yeah. Big ceremony."

Jeongguk tilts his head in another direction, raising both of his eyebrows in surprise.

"That's not possible right now Minhee. It's award season, promotions too. Holding a bigger ceremony would be chaos." Daejun says.

"So let's wait until we can hold it. I have—" Daejun quirks an eyebrow up at her. The Jeons look taken aback but Mrs Jeon laughs it off.

"Oh, every woman has a dream wedding! I had one too. We'll do the marriage just the way you want, Minhee." she says. "How about we do this? Let's register your marriage for now and then we can hold the ceremony next year, as soon as summer settles in. How does that sound?"

Minhee exhales and nods. Mr Jeon smiles. "That's great then, son, are you okay with it?"

Jeongguk shrugs, pointing both of his hands at Minhee to gesture 'whatever she is fine with.'

"It's decided then. We'll get the marriage registered this weekend itself." Minhee's mother says.

When you lie about a certain thing, you do it once. The issue comes up when you lie more to maintain that one in the beginning.

"Why did you not reveal your marriage to the press, yet?" was the question Mrs Yoon asked.

"We have just registered the marriage Mom, people will ask for details. It's better off to say we are dating for now." was what Minhee said.

"What about moving together?"

"If you are so keen on not wanting to see me at home, I will not."

"That's not what I mean Minhee. You guys need to grow closer."

"We are closer than we should be."

And Minhee hangs up.

People on the internet are too smart. They believe they can see through people's facades and lies.

"There are a lot of articles about how you both are using this fake relationship to your own benefit," Dahyun informs Minhee. "There are statistics about how much you'll profit from using each other's image."

"People can't see rich people in healthy relationships, can they?" Minhee sighs.

"Well, you both aren't exactly in a healthy relationship." Dahyun reasons. "It's a fake relationship anyway, isn't it? It doesn't matter if you both plan to break up after a few weeks."

"It matters..." Minhee mumbles. "Can I get Attorney Min on the line?"

"Attorney Min? The head of BE's law team?" Dahyun raises her eyebrows. Minhee nods. "He owns his own law firm too."

"Just give me a minute."

When Dahyun puts the lawyer on call, Dahyun greets him. "Mr Min. Do you have a minute?"

Hence how the PR team drafted a detailed itinerary for them to 'prove' to the world that they are really dating and in love. It would be a good story development for them if they ever happen to reveal their marriage to the public.

If only that big ceremony Minhee said she wanted to happen. And Minhee will go to lengths to not let it.

Call her selfish if you want but marrying someone you don't know much about sucks.

"But at least he's hot." is what Dahyun would have said.

Unfortunately, Minhee hasn't told her yet. It not only makes her feel guilty for hiding it from her friends who have stayed with her through her best and rough years, but more than anything, she feels alone. She doesn't really have anyone except Dahyun and Eunwoo with whom she can share such things with.

...

Minhee's ride comes on time at the Wings' headquarters.

Jeongguk is sitting in front with Secretary Kim, while on a call with someone in a language Minhee doesn't understand. Secretary Kim greets her through the rearview mirror before driving to the 31st IAA Awards at the KDH Hotel.

The irony of the situation— Minhee had seen both Jeongguk and Secretary Kim at the same KDH Hotel for the first time, eight years back during a party to mark the hotel's silver jubilee. Who had thought the situation would come to a point where she'll attend the event with her arm around Jeongguk's?

"CEO Yoon, have a look."

It's Mina, the new assistant to Minhee's secretarial office and Dahyun's right hand, who hands her over a tablet full of live updates from the awards. Minhee can recognise a lot of actors, singers and actresses whose red carpet photos have been uploaded along with some influencers and businessmen she has seen around.

"Mr Jung is likely to arrive last, but he'll be presenting the award to the Best Actor Of the Year."

Minhee nods, thanking Mina and giving back her tablet. Jeongguk is still on call and making out from the tone of his voice, he's trying to convince someone about something. They arrive at the venue when the car stops at the entrance, waiting for their turn.

Secretary Kim gestures to Jeongguk to hop back in the backseat so that Minhee and him can enter the red carpet together as a couple. Jeongguk nods, saying something on the phone and hanging up.

"Lord, worst boyfriend of the year award goes to—"

"Min Yoongi because he left his wife at the altar," Jeongguk says, getting out of the car. Secretary Kim looks behind at Minhee who is licking her lips every now and then, "He just had gone to pee, not a big deal." he explains.

Jeongguk opens the door to sit inside when Mina scoots away, pressing her whole side to Minhee's. Minhee grimaces, Jeongguk raises his eyebrows when Mina struggles to sit and gestures to her to get off and sit in the front.

He sits inside while bumping his head to the car roof slightly. "And didn't come back until his wife pulled him out herself. Definitely not a big deal." Jeongguk hisses, rubbing the area he hit earlier.

Memories. Minhee doesn't have any such memories of her friends that she can tell or joke about.

"They are happily married now." Secretary Kim chides, looking back at Minhee again. "CEO Yoon, here." he gives her something that looks like a lipstick tube. "Your lipstick has come off," he says.

Minhee blinks, licks her lips again and takes it from him. Jeongguk doesn't say anything as he removes his phone to fix himself as well. Minhee opens the tube, it's a clear liquid tube with the decorated 'W' of the Wings' logo.

The lip topcoat from the Butter Me Up line of Wings. Why does he have it and why is he giving it to me?

Minhee takes out her lipstick from her purse and applies it before applying the topcoat over it. She glances at Jeongguk when she parts her lips and sees him staring at her, intently. She turns her face fully making Jeongguk sit straighter. A glare gets sent towards him and that is enough for him to look away.

But Jeongguk can't help himself.

"If you apply the top coat after the lip colour dries, your lips will become dry as soon as it settles in."

Minhee rolls her eyes. "It's always preferred to do that. Do you want me to apply it on a fresh layer of lipstick then?"

"Semi-dry. Dry it just enough for it to settle the colour and then apply it." Jeongguk shrugs.

"Jeongguk," Minhee says, keeping the lipstick down. "Do you know that I went to the YJJ beauty school for three months?"

Jeongguk sighs. "Suit yourself." and then looks outside the window. The car drives inside the venue, they are the next ones to walk down the red carpet. Minhee sees the blazing lights at the red carpet outside and begins feeling antsy for some reason, akin to a calm before a storm.

"Good luck." Secretary Kim says when the car door opens. Jeongguk gives him one last nod before turning towards Minhee. "Focus, okay? If you mess something up today, you won't be able to redeem anything back."

She has a comment at the tip of her tongue to defend herself but when she hears the reporters calling their names, she simply nods. Then Jeongguk's pulling her by the hand, fingers intertwined together. He steps out of the car, Minhee following him and faces the camera.

Minhee can only see white and a few outlines of people huddled together. Her eyes are watering because of the continuous camera flashes, breathing slow and teeth clenched. She is a little relieved she is wearing a full-sleeved dress with a turtleneck that makes her feel less cold than she already is. The fabric starts itching when the goosebumps rise on her skin.

Jeongguk tugs her hand once, prompting her to walk ahead with him. They reach the main stage where the host doesn't ask them any questions and Minhee realises something.

They aren't the main focus of the award show. Well, after all the fans look forward to seeing the other celebrities rather than some businessmen. But what if she messes up? Will they come into the spotlight then? Does their presence as a couple matter? Does her presence matter?

Minhee doesn't even register things that happen upfront. She stares blankly, a chilly breeze seeping through the smallest gaps in her clothes that make her shudder and her palms are sweaty. It's absurd. Why does she need to be here with Jeongguk?

Why is the world so invested in their relationship that they have to go out of their ways to prove they are apparently 'real'?

"Focus, Minhee."

Jeongguk whispers into her ear. Minhee's heart almost jumped out of her. The air is wintry but Jeongguk is warm. His breath that hit her ear, the hand that is clasped with her hand and his voice— it isn't the usual cocky, distant or mocking tone but it's rather subtle, warm.

He sounds certain when he continues, "Smile, laugh. Put your arms around my waist, do anything. We need photographs for the press."

Oh, right. Minhee licks her lips. They need materials to flaunt.

It's embarrassing how Minhee forces her lips to stretch more, and she turns to the side to place a hand on Jeongguk's chest. She can feel his body shudder at the touch. Did she cross a line? Thinking it made him uncomfortable, she lifts her hand to make it linger over his chest, enough to just make it seem like she's touching.

When they are asked to head inside, Minhee lets go of Jeongguk and the other looks at her in quiet contemplation, a calm interest. Minhee rushes inside, with Jeongguk following her inside to their seats.

Minhee thinks that Jeongguk is a damn good actor. He smiles, he touches, he acknowledges— he's so aware of his surroundings. But this side of him, how much of it is real? Is the attitude in front of the cameras fake and fabricated?

Minhee should be happy. They're covering numerous grounds for the fake dating scheme— the pictures, the red carpet, the whole award show, them touching each other— but she's feeling a lot of things at once.

A man walks to them, greets her first but then turns to Jeongguk. Jeongguk immediately smiles at him, shaking his hands with him and asking the man's whereabouts. They talk about the new product launch and the stock market in general before the event staff asks the man to return to his seat.

"Hey, that man was Mr Song from BU, right?"

Minhee turns towards him, furrowing her eyebrows. "Wasn't that Mr Choi from the Ilsan branch?"

Jeongguk parts his lips, recalling the man, "Right. Yes. It was Mr Choi."

"You didn't know him?"

Jeongguk shakes his head, "Saw him once at the debate but didn't know who exactly. It's the first time we have talked."

Minhee scoffs. "You're nice to people you don't know."

Jeongguk softly smiles, taking Minhee by surprise. "You're making it sound like a crime."

"I see no value with such interactions. Waste of time."

Jeongguk sighs, "You're wrong, wifey."

"Don't call me tha—"

"Telling someone how good they are, how hard they work or just acknowledging them is a good thing. It makes them feel good," He rests his arm behind her, on the seat and looks at her, "Who knows...someone really needs to hear it from you?"

Minhee's instantly blinking, eyes not averting from Jeongguk's. Why is it necessary? What good will it bring to me? Then Minhee shivers, not from the cold but because Jeongguk inched a little closer to her.

"Try it sometime. It's psychological. You tell people they're good and acknowledge them, people will start treating you well. You treat them bad, it'll make them curious as to why you are treating them the way you are. With no answers, they'll eventually start treating you the same way."

Minhee licks her lips. Is that supposed to be a suggestion or a mock...?

"That's what people call manipulation," Minhee says, head stretched slightly back to keep the distance between her and Jeongguk. "A conditioned response that will help you predict their reactions."

Jeongguk shifts back, looking in front with his hand still resting behind her. "Whatever you want to call it." he shrugs.

Minhee shrinks in her own skin, hands and legs pressed close to her body. It's chilly.

Her conscience resurfaces as the event finishes. She realises that whatever is weighing her down is clawing up back in a jarring way. She associates that with the feeling she gets when she used to sit in her room, surrounded by books watching her dad on the television.

Minhee isn't someone who brags or takes advantage of her position but in the industry, such a position brings in expectations with it. That people would treat her like someone untouchable, acknowledge her presence with eyes on the floor and anything around her will be dulled with her shine.

Just like the gold.

But with Jeongguk on her side, she barely gets recognition. It irks her, truly, for being ignored had never been pleasant. The unpleasant jitters she always feels at such functions, since continuous social interactions were the field where she sucks at, and where Jeongguk excels.

Jeongguk seems to be always at the right place, doing the right things with the right people, saying the right things and Minhee realises something all of a sudden,

Her lips are dry.

─── ·𖥸· ───

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

242K 8.7K 22
I was taking a shower in schools dorm in my room but when I heard some loud noises coming from my room I quickly turned off the shower and walked to...
346K 11.4K 49
Where two idiots doesn't know what relationship they have....! But still doesn't even bother to search for the answer.!! JEON JUNGKOOK The powerful C...
14K 951 57
"This is Jeon Jungkook, CEO of Seoul Higher View. You must pour all your skill, energy and talent into protecting him from all these attacks." My he...
21.8K 769 26
For Jungkook emotions have no value "Love is nothing but madness, money is everything" But for Y/n emotions are priceless "You call it madness, but I...