Daevas -I- ✔️

By -S-N-O-

Mouths lie, but blood does not. Ari confronts this profound truth as a holy war between humans and demons eru... More

*************
Chapter 1.1: Perchance a Demon
Chapter 1.2: Honey and Mead
Chapter 1.3: Apples
Chapter 2: Name
Chapter 2.1: Left Behind
Chapter 2.2: Lies
Chapter 3: Lessons
Chapter 3.1: Ignorance
Chapter 3.2: Taint
Chapter 3.3: Knowledge
Chapter 4: Sacrilegious
Chapter 4.1: Lust
Chapter 4.2: Astray
Chapter 4.3: Trespass
Chapter 4.4: Desecration
Chapter 5: Curiosity
Chapter 5.1: Wonderment
Chapter 5.2: Marks
Chapter 6: Journey
Chapter 6.1: Erroneous
Chapter 6.2: Touch
Chapter 6.3: Blond Beauty
Chapter 6.4: Dark Night
Chapter: 6.5 Distance
Chapter 7: Discovery
Chapter 7.1: Sin
Chapter 7.2: Desire
Chapter 7.3: Loss
Chapter 7.4: Love
Chapter 7.5: Lost
Chapter 8: Rumination
Chapter 8.1: Doubt
Chapter 8.2: Intimacy
Chapter 8.3: Longing
Chapter 9: Enigma
Chapter 9.1: Forgotten
Chapter 9.2: Recollections
Chapter 9.3: Ardor
Chapter 9.4: Envelop
Chapter 9.5: Revelations
Chapter 9.6: Revelations II
Chapter 10: Maelstrom
Chapter 10.1: Missing Pieces
Chapter 10.2: Ultimatum
Chapter 10.3: Darkness
Chapter 10.4: Judgment
Chapter 11: Twilight
Chapter 11.1: Clandestine
Chapter 11.2: Shadows and Whispers
Chapter 11.3: Poison
Chapter 11.4: Deceit
Chapter 11.5: Blood Ties
Chapter 12: Truth Be Told
Chapter 12.1: Two Sides
Chapter 12.2: Stories & Stars
Chapter 12.3: Hypocrite
Chapter 12.4: Liar
Chapter 12.5: Choice
Chapter 13: Tick-tock
Chapter 13.1: Undone
Chapter 13.2: Reason
Chapter 13.3: Friend
Chapter 13.4: Resolve
Chapter 14: The Greats
Chapter 14.1: Unmasked
Chapter 14.2: Labyrinth
Chapter 14.3: Memories
Chapter 14.4: Remembrance
Chapter 15: True Self
Chapter 15.1: Ensnared
Chapter 15.2: Starry Night
Chapter 15.3: Frustration
Chapter 15.4: Promise
Chapter 16: Harun
Chapter 16.1: Temptation
Chapter 16.2: Only if for a Night
Chapter 16.3: Requited
Chapter 16.4: Ties That Bond Us
Chapter 17: Home
Chapter 17.1: Demon Town
Chapter 17.2: Reciprocity
Chapter 17.3: Trick or Treat
Chapter 17.4: Deviant
Chapter 17.5: Beguiling Devil
Chapter 18: Trial by Fire
Chapter 18.2: Scabs
Chapter 18.3: Scars
*Daevari -II-*

Chapter 18.1: Fever

1K 71 56
By -S-N-O-

Ari sat under a dilapidated wooden awning in great disrepair. Heavy rain poured down seeping into the cracks and dripped onto him. One drop, two drops, three drops, four, each seeming to become bigger than the last. After a while the ends of his black hair dribbled water. His shirt was soaked, but he paid it no mind. He let out a small cloud of breath resigned to the cold and the darkness it brought with it.

It was quiet. The sound of the rain drowned out most other sounds, which brought Ari some semblance of peace. He was in the abandoned outskirts of town, after all. There was not a single living soul around, save for a black cat searching around for vermin or scraps of food. He had been watching it for a week or so. He could not be sure. His days blurred with one another and there was a thick fog in his head he would always get when he was hungry or exhausted. Ari scrunched his legs up to his chest at the thought.

The cat meowed, capturing Ari's attention if only little. His eyes were heavy. He had to strain to keep them open. It meowed again and rubbed against his legs. Ari's eyes softened as its purrs reached his ears. It was a small cat probably less than a year old fending for itself.

Ari outstretched his hand and petted the cat. Its fur was wet and caked with dirt. It had fleas and ticks more than likely. With no one to take care of... Ari looked underneath its legs and realized it was a female. With no one to take care of her, it was bound to happen. He continued to stroke her back until she curled underneath his legs and slept.

"I suppose you and I are not so alone as I thought," Ari murmured, "you have me and I have you."

Ari wanted to provide for her. Keep her clean and fed and loved, but he could not give those things to himself. He had no right, but still Ari's eyes wandered back to the cat. An unbidden smile crept to his face. At the Khaeo animals were banned. They called them unclean things. Lesser things. However, here, right now, at this very moment, the cat and him were in the same situation. How could he ever think to look down on her?

The cat brought him a dead rat more than a few times. She rubbed against his hand when his mind had filled with dark, murderous thoughts. She was there when his tears were endless and his anger massive. There was no benefit for her being there with him. She was his first true friend, and he would take care of her.

Even though he said that, he was plagued with chills and shivers along with a never-ending head pain. He had no appetite and his muscles ached. It had been awhile since he exposed himself to the outdoors. He had not eaten a decent meal since leaving Sascha's store. Perhaps, it was because of that, but Ari knew it was not that. The whole of his body felt terrible. He never felt this way before.

Ari pressed a hand to his forehead and closed his eyes. He had to take care of himself in order to take care of her. He must.

"Fancy meeting you here," a voice said.

Ari's reaction time was slower than ever. He found the body of the voice soon enough, though. There was a person hanging upside down from the awning Ari was under. Their hair was long and auburn, reminding him of Freir. A thought he long since pushed away from his mind. He would not be happy with the person he had become—what he was becoming.

"I have never seen you before." Ari's eyes lowered back to the pocket he created with his body, disinterested.

"That was a nasty thing you did to me, Ari."

The voice was sounding more and more feminine with each word. Ari's eyes shot up and looked at the person, truly looked at them and found nothing remotely familiar about them. They had large grey eyes, a small nose, small mouth, and deep dimples on each cheek.

"Oh, but do not worry. I was testing you. And you were exceptional. It took me weeks to recover, you know? Thought you would be softer towards humans."

Ari's brows furrowed trying to make sense of their words "...Sascha?" Ari asked with some hesitance. How could that be? Sascha was an older man, not a young adult.

"Ding-ding-ding!"

Ari sighed. It was as if a heavy weight was lifted off his chest. Although he did not want to admit it to himself, he felt awful for what he did. His anger and frustration bested him allowing for his anger to conquer all sense of reason.

As if sensing his unease, the cat came from under his legs and hissed.

"What revolting creature is this? Shall I kill it for yo—"

"Do not touch her," Ari growled and brought the cat closer to his body.

"You are quite irritable. It is unlike you." Before Ari could object, Sascha placed a palm on Ari's forehead and clucked their tongue. "You have a fever. This is not good."

Because Ari became worked up all of a sudden, his breath grew labored and his eyesight blurred. Ari knew something was wrong with him, but a fever? He never had one before. And why should he believe the demon now? Their appearance was as false as their words.

"You do not know how to take care of yourself. At least not yet." Sascha took their small hand down their face and grimaced.

Ari only glared, tucking the cat closer to him. He did not want anything to do with them.

"Come away with me."

"And what would make me do that?"

Ari stared at their outstretched hand. Their nails was trimmed and rounded with not a speck of dirt underneath them unlike his own. It was pretty and unblemished much like the rest of them. He continued to take his time studying their face small yet angular face. Their hair was much browner upon closer inspection. They had full lips with the bottom being fuller and pinker. There was no aura surrounding them that signaled their age like with Auovin and Nis. It was as absent as if he were staring at a human. Ari licked his lips and rose. It was quite apparent they were like him— a young demon.

The cat stayed close to his legs instead of running off like she normally did. Ari picked her up and held her as if she was a child in his arms. She laid there docile which surprised him. He never tried to pick her up before, but she seemed like she would scratch him if he tried. Ari scratched under her chin, beating down a growing smile.

"This way. This way. There is so much to do and for me to show you!" Sascha spun around with their arms in the air.

As they walked, Ari could not help but notice the stark difference in their looks, speech, and mannerisms even. Whether they were a man or woman was not important to him, but it still left Ari wondering which it could be.

"... Your appearance... why is it so different?" Ari asked. 

Sascha turned around to face him while walking. "Are you saying you do not know as well? Are you not a Great as well? I seen your markings, but your eyes are grey."

"I do not think I inherited much from my mother," Ari mumbled as he stroked the cat, ignoring the rain. 

Sascha ducked their head to see Ari's eyes and turned their head, dissatisfied with his answer. "Hmm... I suppose you had not then. Matters not. You must have other powers then."

They walked in silence for some time before Sascha stopped and turned to face him. "The things I told you before, I meant them. I want Nis' head on a pike. And you want back something you lost." 

Ari's head rose. 

"He took something from you, I know it. I can see it in your eyes." 

As much as Ari was trying to beat it down a tightness in his throat made it hard for him to swallow. His eyesight blurred and he could hardly stand to look at Sascha without feeling embarrassed. 

"I know because he took something from me too." 

Ari ducked his head into the cat, trying his best to mask the tears about to spill from his eyes. He held them back for so many cold, dark rainy nights. What was another? He took a deep breath and calmed himself. 

"The old ones think we are none the wiser because we are so young. They could toy with us at their leisure. However, I am tired of being at their every whim and mercy." Sascha grabbed both sides of Ari's face and smiled. "I am sorry I lied to you. I should not have done that. I will not ever do it again." 

"I am tired too..." Ari said. 

"I do not want to be like them. I do not want to become like them either, so I deeply apologize."

"But Sascha, what is the point of your vengeance? You say you do not want to become like them, but I fear if that is your only goal, you will end up being just like them in the end." 

Sascha bit their lip and gazed away from Ari. 

"What else other than your vengeance do you want?" Ari asked. Instead of answering his question, Sascha pulled out a key from his pocket and opened a door to a small house with a worn looking door. 

"Sascha."

"Look around, Ari. This is what I have." 

The cat jumped from out of Ari's arms, surveying the room along with Ari. It was dank, cold, and empty save for a few worn carpets. 

"I have nothing but hate left."

"But the shop—"

"Belongs to a demon hunter posing as a baker. I merely copied his appearance and personality when he was away. He should be back in town in the coming weeks."

"I see," Ari trailed off, looking around the room as if something would change at any given moment. Sascha was clean-looking and well kept. There had to be something more or so Ari was thinking. 

"What do you do to survive then?"

"I blend with the humans and do odd jobs here and there."

"Such as?" Ari was curious to know. Never once did Ari think of doing something outside of slaying demons. 

"Baking, delivering food, packages, sewing, I could go on forever."    

"And you live in this?"

"I like to keep my head low."

Ari tried to beat down a smile but it was followed by a laugh. A small blush crept onto Sascha's face, but they were quick to turn their back to Ari before he could see more. 

"It does not all look like this. As you can imagine, I do not have much company." Sascha beckoned Ari up the the rickety stairs and pointed to the bedroom and washroom. "Here is where I spend most my time." 

"Alone?" 

Their eyes met with neither one too bashful to turn away. 

"Yes, alone..." Sascha murmured.

"Like me." 

"Like you," Sascha answered this time with a small sad smile. 

Ari pressed a hand to his forehead and breathed, feeling dizzy and nauseous all at once. He may have spent too much time outside in his weakened state. It may be just as Sascha said it was. Sascha removed Ari's hand from his forehead and placed their hand there instead. 

"You are burning up, but the rest of you feels cold and clammy. Let me get you in the bath." Sascha led him back downstairs and sat him in front of the fireplace. Once Sascha lit it, he started heating up water in the kitchen. It would take some time to get a bath started. However, just as he was thinking that Sascha grabbed the tin of water and rushed up the stairs. He did that over ten times before ushering Ari back upstairs into the washroom. 

One step inside and Ari knew the water would be scalding hot. It was steamy and humid inside making Ari feel sticky and dirty.

"Can you undress yourself or do you need me..." 

"I can do the rest," Ari said.

Even though Ari said that, Sascha helped him undress anyway. It was a little embarrassing, at first, but Ari knew without Sascha having to say a word that he was just trying to help and get him warmed as quick as he could. As soon as he dipped inside the bath, the heat warmed and relaxed him. He always loved lounging in a pool of hot water.  Sascha let him soak for a minute or so before he took a clean cloth and began scrubbing his arm. 

"Sascha, I can—"

"Let me do this. It is the least I can do... after everything." 

"Still, it is a little embarrassing."

Sascha ignored him focusing on cleaning underneath his fingernails before moving on to the next arm.  

"Cleanliness brings you closer to the gods, does it not?" 

Ari gazed at him with furrowed brows. "Were you apart of the—"

"No, I can gain some of the knowledge of others when I take on their appearance. It never works on demons, though. Only humans, so do not worry." 

Ari took the cloth from him and started on his chest, neck and back. 

Sascha was silent and did no more than stare for a few seconds before focusing on something else in the room even though Ari would have much rather bathe alone. It seemed Sascha was just as alone as he was. Hurt by an old one just as he was. He never met a demon around his age and Ari was comforted by the thought of not having to figure everything out on his own. 

Ari finished bathing the rest of himself feeling the fog in his mind lift as he did. 

"Cleanliness is something demons hold in great reverence as well. Have you noticed?" Sascha asked.

"... Not until now, no. But the person who I travelled with always liked for me to be."

"I see. Was he an old one as well?"

"He was old, yes, but he was different from the rest. He cared for me more than he cared for himself. And once I lost him..." Ari's eyes filled with water at the memory. "I never felt so empty as I do now."

"But he did lie to you?"

Ari nodded.

"He hid things from you and essentially did things as a mean to his own ends."

Ari closed his eyes and nodded again. 

"Perhaps, it was for the better then. For you and for him. You met me, after all. And there is no such thing as coincidences." 

Ari smiled then, holding back the tears once more. "That is true."

"And being alone is not so bad either. It gives you time to think about things. Put things in perspective. See what you want other than... him."

"Did it help for you?"

"I think I may have spent too much time alone with my thoughts," Sascha laughed and scratched their cheek absently. 

Ari submerged his head into the water and reemerged after a few seconds. He wiped the water from his eyes feeling better already. Still, Ari knew he was in need of something more.

"How long have you been alone?" Ari said.

"Five years."

Ari's eyes lowered. He could hardly imagine being alone for that long. 

"And in those five years, I have learned a lot. Some experiences were awful, but I am better for them. I had some good experiences too, but..."

"Short-lived?"

"Yes."

Ari rose from the tub as Sascha extended a towel over to him. "I am no stranger to that."

"So forgive me if my methods were a little unorthodox. I wanted to make sure this time."

"You have been tricked before, I understand. I am sorry about your friends. I was angry and upset. My emotions bested me then, but I am not like that. Truly, I am not."

"Oh, you mean Lyn and Mars? They are fine... " 

Ari looked at him seeing his somber expression. "Are they not friends?"

"They are... in a way. They are older demons. There is a hierarchy. However, their blood is not as concentrated like mine. It is a complex relationship we have with one another." Sascha rubbed their nose and bent down. "I brought you a change of clothes. Here."

"How old are you?"

"Two and twenty." 

"No past memories?"

Sascha gave him a look before shaking his head no. "Dress, I will set the room up, so you can lie down. You are feverish, but you still have all these questions to ask." There was humor in their voice as they said it which made Ari smile a real smile. 

Sascha was odd, but that was a growing interest for him. Ari was still a little upset about what they had done, but they had apologized multiple times about it. He was not one to hold a grudge and they seemed genuinely nice. It was their acquaintances that Ari was wary of and took note of. 

Ari gazed at the plain navy blue shirt and black pants with an undergarment pressed in between them. The shirt was simple with a small opening going down the front. The pants tapered at the ankle which Ari was thankful for. He could not wear pants that sagged or touched the ground. He would become easy prey to demons that way.

He dressed quickly, drying off his hair in between pieces. He did his best to tidy the washroom by folding his clothes and placing them neatly off to the side. The water was mopped up with the towel they had given him. By time he was done, a heat washed through him. Ari knew very well what the problem was without anyone having to spell it out for him. He had not had any blood since leaving the mountain with Kaval in what seemed like a lifetime ago. 

Ari held his forehead and breathed. What to do? What to do? The answer was very simple. He walked into the room and found the room littered with soft pillows in a variety of shapes and sizes. It reminded him of Nis and his rooms almost immediately. He bit down on his curious tongue before it could conjure up a question that had no place to be said right now.  

The curtains were dark, but see-through. A thin fabric would let in light and cast pretty colors if the sun shines just right against it, especially with the creme walls accenting the room. This room was taken care of more than the ones downstairs. It made sense if this was where they would spend all their time. 

"Come lie down here." Sascha said, pulling Ari fully inside the room. 

Ari rested his head on one of the many pillows. They gave him more comfort than he thought they would. When he saw that Sascha was not going to lie down, Ari sat up and looked up at them. 

"I will give you this room to rest. I do not want you to misunderstand me." 

Ari grabbed their hand and tugged them down. "Stay. There is no misunderstanding to be made."

"Even still I... "

"I-I do not wish to sleep alone, at least not the first night, so please. Stay."

 Sascha's dark grey eyes stared into his. Soon a smile blossomed on his face. "I was the same, you know. But now it seems I take great comfort in sleeping alone. For your comfort, I will stay with you tonight." 

Sascha went on and placed another cool hand against his forehead and sighed. "You still have a fever." 

Ari took his hand away and held it in his. He felt it then. The power resting quietly inside of him, swelling like ocean waves. His blood would be much to his liking. 

"...Is it a Blood Fever, perhaps?" Sascha mumbled. 

"I believe it is," Ari said.

"Just a moment." Sascha tore away. His footsteps could be heard going down the stairs and in the next he was back up with a small clear cup filled with red liquid. 

"I feared as much, so I prepared in advance."

Ari looked at the cup to Sascha with bewilderment. Never had he drank blood from a glass before. It would not taste as good or feel as good. He narrowed his eyes in distaste of it, but he was without another choice. 

"What is the matter?"

Ari licked his lips and said nothing. He extended his hand signaling Sascha to hand him the cup. In just a few seconds, Ari had swallowed the contents in a gulp or two. He was still thirsting for more. It would not be enough. Sascha may be older than him, but their knowledge in these matters seemed to be lacking. 

There was no flavor to it or feelings he could taste. It was as if he drank water. The thought alone soured his mood, but he should be thankful. Still, he stared at Sascha with such want in his eyes. He bit on the inside of cheek beating it down. 

"Do you not drink blood from the person, Sascha?" Ari managed to say. 

"I-I... do not."

"And why is that?"

Sascha removed some of his strands of wild hair away from his face. Ari blushed at the expression appearing on his face. Sascha became quite cute to him then. Much like how he saw his black cat. 

"Nevermind that. Do you have any more? It has been awhile since I last had blood." 

Sascha rushed down the stairs again and brought back yet another cup. This time it was larger. Ari guzzled it down still unable to taste what he felt with Auovin or Cyrus, but his vision and hearing was already sharpening. Despite the lack of taste and amount, Ari was satiated for the time being. 

The feel of Sascha's cool hand on his forehead made Ari's eyes lower and move away from him. "You are a little better now." 

"Was that your blood I drank?"

Sascha shook their head no. "It was Mars'."

Mars. That name again. The one with the brown skin, Ari remembered. 

 "I see. Take me to meet him sometime then." 

"Of course."

Ari took Sascha's chin and inspected his neck before letting it go with a smile. Ari would get his bearings and information here. For now, he needed to focus on surviving. The rest would come later. Much much later. 

—————————————————————————

[A/N]

Bah-hah, Ari really thought he was gonna get some kind of play. That part just makes me laugh every time I read it. Like, Ari, take several seats, please. 🤣 But man, he sure has grown. Definitely not shy as he once was. Now, I'm just wondering if he's gonna play nice with the others. 

❤️ What are y'all thoughts on all this? Sascha... Kaval, Mars, Lyn. Leave me your thoughts down below! ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

59 0 24
Chaya can't remember his past. Mavet doesn't know who he is. Haniel just wants to finish his junior year soccer season in peace. Is that too much to...
33 5 4
A story of ancient magics, court intrigue, adventure and ... blood. Can you find the light in the depths of your darkness?
149K 14.4K 65
Cain, an ex-noble, dies as a common thief thanks to the manipulation of his wicked half-brother. Luckily, the magic scroll he had just stolen sends h...
3.1K 258 15
Ari struggles with his identity amid the aftermath of chaos that befell humanity three hundred years ago. Trust eludes him, and isolation is his shie...