The Movies Make It Look Easy

By XfudgesiclesX

Shannon moves to London, expecting the perfect College experience, but from Day One things don't go according... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Epilogue

Chapter 49

14.8K 184 8
By XfudgesiclesX

Chapter 49

Shannon’s P.O.V:

I stifled a yawn as I let myself into the apartment – work had been really busy and my feet felt like they were about to fall off. The one bright spot in my day had been seeing Toby – I found that I had really missed his relaxed nature and wide smile; he was definitely easy to be around.

I wrapped the old, holey cardigan I’d shrugged on before leaving work tightly around me.

I was visualising spending the rest of the day on the couch with my feet propped up – God, I really needed to get a life – when Nick stepped out of his room. I sent a smile his way as I continued my long-awaited journey to the couch.

I felt an arm slink around my waist. I looked down to see my legs still moving even though I clearly wasn’t going anywhere. I sighed and glared at Nick’s smirking face.

‘My feet are sore, I wanna sit down’ I whined.

Rolling his eyes, he scooped me up into his arms, providing instant relief for my aching feet. ‘Better?’

I nodded happily as I wrapped my arms around his neck, ‘yes. Except now you’re not allowed to put me down’

He chuckled, ‘on one condition’

I raised one eyebrow in silent question.

‘Give me a kiss’ he said, sotto voce.

I swear my heart melted just a little bit as I pretended to think about it before smiling and leaning in to kiss him.

Minutes later, he sat us both down on the couch and I kicked off my much-hated shoes. The scene wasn’t exactly what I’d imagined, but I didn’t care.

‘Don’t suppose you have any food?’ I eyed him speculatively, very aware of my empty stomach.

He nuzzled my neck gently, running his lips lightly over my exposed skin. I fought the shiver of desire that wracked my frame. No Shannon, I thought, food first.

‘Nope’ he told me, a hint of amusement in his voice.

I sighed sadly, patting my stomach as if to console myself – food would have to wait until my feet had healed sufficiently that I could hobble to the kitchen. And yes, I realise I’m being melodramatic.

‘What are you doing later?’ Nick asked slightly hesitantly, resting his head against my shoulder.

I instantly forgot about my hunger and my sore feet as I gently sifted my fingers through his hair, sensing that this conversation would somehow be important.

‘Nothing. What about you?’ I said quietly, my tone matching his.

He was silent and I pressed closer to him. I felt his fingers lightly play with the frayed edges of my cardigan.

‘I was going to go visit my mother’ he spoke practically under his breath.

I only heard him because we were sitting so close. I hugged him to me, feeling the tension radiating off me.

‘Do you- do you want to come with me?’ he raised his head to look at me, and I could see the uncertainty shining in his eyes. He hurried on, not giving me a chance to speak; ‘I know you said you would back in Ireland…but I understand if you don’t want to’ he rushed out.

When I was sure he was finished, I pressed a kiss to his cheek. ‘I meant what I said Sweetie’ I told him, looking into his dark brown eyes.

I saw relief there, and it just made me love him even more. ‘I’d like to come with you’

He didn’t speak, just kissed me deeply. I answered it with everything I had, with all the love I felt for him as my mind slowly lost focus. That is until my stomach growled loudly, reminding me that I hadn’t had lunch yet.

Nick laughed as I hopped off his lap and headed for the kitchen, ‘Shut up or there won’t be any food for you’

‘You’re making food?’ he asked hopefully, following me into the kitchen.

‘Don’t sound so surprised’ I said dryly as I came to a stop.

‘You know I could make some very sexist jokes right now’ he said as he pressed up against my back.

I continued to stare into the fridge as I supressed a smile. ‘I wouldn’t if I were you’ I replied, my voice betraying none of my amusement.

He just laughed – we both knew I wasn’t being serious – as he traced his fingers up and down my sides. It was distracting to say the least.

‘I feel like a salad’ I thought aloud as I began taking the requisite ingredients out of the fridge.

I grabbed a chopping board and a knife and began chopping the tomatoes.

Nick sat on the counter beside and watched me work. He occasionally reached out to snatch a piece of food from in front of me.

When he had acquired half of the cucumber I’d just finished chopping, I gave up and put the knife down, glaring at his perfectly content face.

He swallowed the last of the cucumber and grinned widely at me, reaching out to ruffle my hair affectionately.

‘Would you like some salad?’ I asked through gritted teeth.

‘Nah’ he yawned, stretching his (well-muscled) arms and showing me a flash of toned stomach.

‘I think I’ll make a sandwich. Salad isn’t really my thing’

I glared at his back once more as he sauntered to the fridge before going back to my salad.

I watched him out of the corner of my eye, half in amazement and half in horror as he layered ham, chicken and turkey onto his sandwich – no wonder we always seemed to run out of food. He reached over, taking lettuce and tomato from my pile to add to the monstrosity in front of him.

I wondered silently at the male capacity to consume any and all food – especially meat. I mean, I liked food as much as the next person (okay, probably more) but still, even I’d have trouble finishing that sandwich off.

Nick noticed me watching him and smiled quickly before heading out to the table with his food.

I finished making my salad as quickly as I could, throwing a dash of balsamic vinegar into the mix to add flavour.

I stepped through into the living room and took my seat opposite Nick at the table. My mouth practically fell open when I saw that he was almost halfway through the sandwich. I hadn’t taken that long in the kitchen, had I?

Deciding to ignore this, I glanced around the room for a moment, my gaze zeroing in on the TV.

‘Wow’

‘What?’ Nick looked at me in confusion.

‘The TV isn’t on’ I said, still staring at the blank screen.

‘So…’

I looked back to Nick to find him watching me with a she’s crazy look.

I laughed, ‘I just mean that the TV is always on. We both spend a good portion of our lives on the couch staring at a screen’

Nick continued to watch me, his expression thoughtful. ‘I guess I just have more important things to focus on’ he said eventually, his eyes having moved to the wall behind me.

He shook his head as if to clear his thoughts before looking back to me, a knowing smile on his face.

I felt myself blush and I suddenly became very interested in my salad. I heard him chuckle quietly before he took my free hand in his and interlinked our fingers tightly.

I felt my heartbeat speed up and I sighed softly – would my heart ever stop racing if he so much as looked at me in a certain way?

But I suppose the real question was did I want it to?

‘What time do you want to leave?’

I blinked stupidly, my brain taking a moment to process what he’d just said. ‘Oh…’ I thought about it, ‘whenever’ I said finally; ‘I just need to change out of my work clothes’

He nodded before polishing off the last bite of his sandwich, his hand still holding mine.

I looked down and was surprised to see most of my salad was gone. I really needed to stop daydreaming.

I changed into a pair skinny jeans and a plain top when I’d finished my lunch. Nick was waiting for me, fidgeting anxiously. I think we were both on edge.

I mean, this was a big deal. Meeting the parents was bad enough, but Nick’s particular situation just made things so much more complicated.

We stepped out into the unseasonably nice day and Nick immediately clutched my hand, pulling me closer as we walked down the path.

To take my mind off the upcoming meeting, I looked around at the campus. Even though we were still technically on Christmas holidays, the campus was swarming with students making the most of the marginally warm weather. Some were hurrying along one of the many paths while some were just wandering with friends.

It was then that I noticed the looks.

Both girls and guys alike glanced at Nick and me as we passed by or just openly stared – especially at our joined hands. Of course, most of the girls glared at me; but that wasn’t exactly surprising. Most of the guys just seemed curious (with the occasional sleazy stare).

Everyone was wondering the same thing; was that Nick King holding hands with somebody?

I felt like I was in a bad romcom or something.

Nick seemed oblivious, his mind obviously on something else. As if he knew I was thinking about him, he smiled down at me.

Dropping my hand, he wrapped an arm tightly around my shoulders and bent to press a kiss to my temple. I could practically hear the gasps behind us…whatever, cue the eye-roll.

Deciding to ignore everyone and everything, I slid my arm around Nick’s waist. I smiled to myself as I felt his muscles quiver beneath my touch as I slipped my fingers under the hem of his t-shirt, stroking his smooth skin.

He pulled me closer and I rested my head on his shoulder.

‘You’re killing me here you know’ he whispered, pressing another kiss on top of my head.

I laughed openly, a grin forming on my face.

We walked like that the whole way across campus, and out onto the street. Nick hailed us a taxi – we were too far away to walk.

I slid into the back of the taxi, Nick following me.

After giving the driver directions, Nick sat back and stared out the window. I watched him from my seat. I could see him getting visibly tenser the longer we spent in the car.

I knew that this was a journey he didn’t enjoy making. I mean, when he first told me about his parents, he’d said that as far as he was concerned, his mother was dead – the body in the hospital wasn’t her. He only went to visit her because his father insisted on it. Though from what Nick had told me about Jonah King, I didn’t know why he’d do anything for him.

Which reminded me…

‘Will your dad be there?’ I asked softly.

Nick looked at me startled as if he’d forgotten I was there. He eventually shook his head; ‘I don’t think so, he generally visits on a Thursday. I hope he’s not there anyway’

I didn’t reply, just reached over and squeezed his hand. I hoped for Nick’s sake that he wasn’t there.

He held onto my hand tightly as we slowly got closer.

I was starting to feel anxious now – I really had no idea what to expect.

I felt Nick squeeze my hand and I looked over to him and smiled reassuringly.

***************************************************** 

Hey, I’m sorry this chapter is really short and crappy but I’m in a rush.

We lost the rugby match today, so I’m gonna go out and get wasted and drown my sorrows lol I’m kinda late which is why I rushed this chapter.

I can’t decide whether Nick’s dad should be in the next chapter? So your thoughts would be appreciated!

Kaz xoxo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

722K 56K 77
"You want to know what I think of you?" He asked, raising his eyebrows. I smirked in a confident manner and nodded, eager to hear his answer. He took...
153K 4.6K 33
Completed "What the hell do you think you're doing?" I asked, glaring at him while he forcefully dragged me out of class. "You told me you need help...
3.7K 1.1K 10
❌COMPLETE❌ Edward + Louis تاریخی* چند پارت *
1.1K 72 19
COMPLETED Jyo Kairi hides his feelings for his best friend deep within himself, but his hidden love slowly consumes him from the inside out. With the...