𝗨𝗡𝗘𝗫𝗣𝗘𝗖𝗧𝗘𝗗 ━ Golden...

By awsomblossom

ADHARA, the second brightest star in the Canis Major constellation, right after sirius. It was as if her fa... More

𝗨 𝗡 𝗘 𝗫 𝗣 𝗘 𝗖 𝗧 𝗘 𝗗
𝖎. THE BASTARD OF HOUSE BLACK
━chapter 1
━chapter 2
━chapter 3
━chapter 4
𝖎𝖎. OF HOUSES AND HEIRS
━chapter 1
━chapter 2
━chapter 3
━chapter 4
━chapter 5
━chapter 6
━chapter 7
━chapter 8
━chapter 9
━chapter 10
𝖎𝖎𝖎. PAINT ME AS A VILLAIN
━chapter 1
━chapter 2
━chapter 3
━chapter 4
━chapter 5
━chapter 6
━chapter 7
━chapter 8
━chapter 10
━chapter 11
━chapter 12
━chapter 13
━chapter 14
━chapter 15
𝖎𝖛. TWO SIDES, ONE COIN
━chapter 1
━chapter 2
━chapter 3
━chapter 4
━chapter 5
━chapter 6
━chapter 7
━chapter 8
━chapter 9
━chapter 10
━chapter 11
━chapter 12
━chapter 13
━chapter 14
━chapter 15
━chapter 16
━chapter 17
━chapter 18
━chapter 19
━chapter 20

━chapter 9

1.4K 71 17
By awsomblossom

Chapter 9
━━━━━━━━ ✥ ━━━━━━━━

IT WAS TIME.

It was time to try and sneak Adhara and Millie inside the Gryffindor Tower.

They have never done it before. In fact, neither of them ever visited another House's dormitories.

But Ravenclaw just won their match with Hufflepuff, and with the end of term exams drawing so close, they decided to throw a party for their win. Everyone was invited—yes, even the Puffs since one cannot have a party without them—which meant that the Gryffindor Tower was going to be mostly empty, giving Harry and his friends the perfect opportunity for a sleepover.

Hermione got to work first. Her job was to aid the snakes to sneak out of their rooms with everything they needed. Then the girls, together, worked together to steal food from the kitchens since somehow, they already had a plan laid out for that.

Harry and Ron were given the most difficult job so far. They had to figure out a way to deactivate the charm on the stairs that lead up to the girl's dormitories. The ones that would shift into a slide if either Ron or Harry put a foot on the steps. (Hermione's roommates were staying at Padma Patil's room tonight, so her room would be empty!).

Harry and Ron threw hexes and spells at the staircase. It didn't work. They then felt around the walls near it because maybe there was a switch? There wasn't. Both then tried to find a way to work around the charm by climbing the banister. But who knew they disappeared when the charm was activated?

So they gave up.

Ron and Harry waited for the girls to return with their pile of blankets and their pillows. They were both in their pyjamas; Harry was wearing his Weasley jumper, the one he received last year, to fight the late November chill.

He was fiddling with his sleeve when Ron blurted out: "You should come over for the Yule holidays!"

Harry had to take a minute to properly take in what the Weasley suddenly exclaimed.

"Huh?"

Ron's cheeks heated up. "I don't know?" he shrugged. "Sounds like a good idea. Mum'll be thrilled if you come! She's been asking me in my letters!"

"Your mum wants me to join you guys for Yule?"

His friend nodded furiously. "Yeah! I was going to ask you even if my mum didn't, though!"

Harry's throat swelled up; he couldn't breathe. He had to heave in a breath. "Are...are you sure?"

Why would anyone want him over to their house?

"Positive!"

"But w-why? Isn't it supposed to be a family thing?"

"Mhm? Well, Yuletide isn't just one day, it's not like Christmas. My parents have friends over all the time. The Winter Solstice is on the 21st, though. That's when we burn the Yule Log."

Harry wasn't sure. He didn't even know what a Yule Log was! He didn't want to mess something up.

"Stop worrying," Ron drawled. "We'll show you, and it'll be fine! Just say yes!"

He ran a hand through his hair, feeling his curls through his fingers. He covered his face with his hands. He really wanted to go, but he wasn't sure if he was allowed to.

"Your family won't get mad, right?" His voice came out muffled.

"No! Mum said to invite you, Harry."

Harry groaned.

"Harryyyyy."

"Alright, alright! I'll go!"

━━

"Ronald Weasley! You had one job!

"Honestly, Hermione. If the teachers believed two simple-minded third years could deactivate the charm, do you really think they'd use it?"

"No one said anything about deactivating! I said to find a way to get up there!"

"How are we meant to-"

"You float!"

"What?"

"The hover charm, you idiot!"

"Oh..."

━━━━

Hermione was acting weird. She has been acting weird since September (how was she taking so many classes?), but right now, she was acting even weirder.

She has been acting odd since they had that sleepover at the Gryffindor Tower.

She was squirming that whole night, but Adhara assumed it was because they were breaking rules and that always made her feel anxious. It has been almost a week now, though, and the strange behaviour persisted.

She was avoiding Adhara.

Hermione didn't seem mad, however. She only seemed nervous, with always an excuse to leave at the tip of her tongue, whenever Adhara showed up to the room.

Adhara thought it was perhaps the amount of homework getting to her head, but then again. She has had that much work since the beginning of term, and she never avoided her.

And it was only Adhara too. Hermione wasn't acting this way with anyone else.

Adhara thought about cornering her, forcing her to confess what was up, but that sounded more like something Millicent would do.

Adhara didn't confront. She waited. She was very good at that.

But Hermione required a little more push. Just a small little push.

Thus, Adhara followed her. Secretly trailing her to the library, she waited a few minutes outside before going in herself. Hermione was studying at the table on the far left, so Adhara sat down at the table next to it with a book of her own. There wasn't anyone else at the library, so she was right where Hermione could see her.

And then Adhara waited.

Hermione was going to come up to her. She knew she would. Hermione was going to see her, wonder why she was at the library, wonder why she wasn't sitting with her, it was going to confuse her and then irritate her because Hermione didn't like being confused. And she was going to get up from her seat and approach Adhara, to ask her why she was here.

All she had to do was wait.

"What are you doing here?"

Ha.

Adhara put away her book inside her satchel. Hermione didn't look angry, but she could make out the lines of concern on her forehead, making guilt bubble in Adhara's stomach.

Did she give the wrong impression?

"I was reading."

"I can see that." Hermione paused for a while, and then asked: "Why didn't you join me?"

"You've been busy."

"I...yeah. I have."

Adhara sighed, exasperated. "Mione, sit down."

"Why?"

"So, you can tell me why you've been avoiding me."

"I haven't been-"

Adhara crossed her arms, looking indignant.

Hermione huffed, giving into her stare. "Oh, alright!" She tossed her book bag onto the table before pulling out a chair for herself.

Adhara leaned back in hers, trying to keep her fingers occupied, and she waited for the Gryffindor to speak.

Hermione was starring at Adhara's book, unconsciously chewing on her bottom lip.

Adhara waited.

"Harry's going to Ron's for winter break."

Adhara's brows furrowed. This wasn't what she was expecting.

"He is."

"Millie's going home."

"Mhmm."

"Are you going to go to the Weasley's?"

No, she was not. Harry asked multiple times. He didn't want to leave her alone at Hogwarts. Ron asked, too. Even Ginny approached her, apparently her dad wanted to invite her. But Adhara refused. She didn't want the break to feel like the Weasley's were trying to pay back a debt.

And she didn't think Mrs. Weasley liked her lots.

"Why?"

"Well. Uhm. I was wondering if, maybe, perhaps. Like. You could always refuse, I don't want to-"

"Mione."

"Wouldyouliketocomeoverforchristmas?"

"You- ...what?"

Hermione took in a deep breath, deciding to do this properly and to get it over with. "I want you to join my parents and me for Christmas break. Do you want to?"

Adhara blinked.

"Oh, stop looking so surprised. Yes, my parents are okay with it, I've already asked. No, it won't be any trouble. And no, they won't find your silent behaviour overbearing."

Adhara didn't know where that last one came from, but she also didn't know why it appeased her to hear it. She didn't really know what to say. She has never been to anyone's house except for Harry's before, and there she had to blackmail her way in. This was the first time she was invited somewhere.

"So?"

"Will there be cake?"

"Of course."

"Then sure. Why not," she replied, making herself sound as casual as she could manage.

━━━━

Aunt Petunia used to stall a lot.

There was once when Dudley had a birthday party, Harry longingly watched the kids out in the garden from inside the house, the collar of his too-big shirt in his mouth, the rest of the fabric held tightly between his fingers.

Aunt Petunia wanted to make a good impression on the other mothers who chatted along, a few feet away from the children. When she spotted Harry at the doorway, she walked up to him, mouth pulled back into a smile that was too wide, too tight.

She forcefully tucked Harry's giant shirt into his trousers, yanking the collar out of his mouth. Aunt Petunia said nothing, not trusting herself to sound affectionate, and she hadn't wanted the guests to become suspicious of anything.

Harry slumped forward, letting his aunt do her work as he noted how violently she was grinding her teeth.

"When can I get a party?" he dared to whisper. He remembered he was young then, more naive, more loquacious. He didn't know what to be careful about yet, still struggling to grasp that Petunia was not his mother.

His aunt froze. She couldn't say anything degrading, someone might hear her.

Jaw still slack, "Next year," she seethed out.

And Harry patiently waited for his next birthday.

Only, when the end of July came around the year, there were no invitations, no decorations and no cake. So, he asked Aunt Petunia again when he would be getting a party, and the woman answered again that it would happen next year.

She said the same thing the year after that, and then the next year, Harry stopped asking.

Aunt Petunia used to stall a lot. But she didn't anymore. Because Harry stopped asking.

Because now, Harry understood a dismissal when he heard one.

"Hmm, yes. Yes, I did say that, didn't I? Tell you what Harry, come and see me after the Holidays. I'll tell you all about warding off dementors then."

Harry bit his tongue. He was grateful Professor Lupin seemed more occupied with whatever he was reading because else he would see the disappointment colouring Harry's tone, and oh so evident on his face.

Another dismissal. Apparently, an adult's nicest way of saying 'no'. However, between having false hope and getting the truth spat on his face, Harry would gladly choose the latter option.

"Sure. Yeah. That works out."

"Thank you, Harry," he said, not realizing Harry's chagrin. "Now, I'm in a bit of a rush, but I'll see you in class, alright?"

"Mhmm."

━━━━

Adhara was not having a good time. Tonight was not supposed to go the way it did.

But, really, teachers shouldn't be blaming the students for breaking rules so much if they were going to make it so painfully easy to do so. Even with all the restrictions they put on Adhara, she was still very well able to stroll around the halls after hours.

And ever since they figured out just was easy, it was to sneak into the lions' tower, she couldn't help but wander in every now and then.

Stealth was an ability she acquired more out of necessity than choice. It wasn't talent; she had to learn to blend into the crowd, she had to learn to stay hidden. It came in handy more often than not, and so it was a habit difficult to lose. It kept her safe and out of trouble.

However, apparently, her abilities didn't make her as immune as she thought they did.

Maybe she should've nicked Harry's invisibility cloak before leaving.

Maybe it wouldn't have bothered her much if it was some other professor who caught her. She would gladly face McGonagall's wrath instead of him. In fact, Adhara would rather put up with Snape's annoyingly smug smirk as he docked points than whatever this was.

At least, Snape would make her return to her dorms right after. He wouldn't bother calling her to his office to have a talk.

Adhara kept her head up, refusing to sway under the disappointed look her defence professor was fixing her with. She tried to keep eye contact but found it made it more difficult to keep her resolve that way.

She somehow felt childish.

"Tea?" he offered.

Adhara's gaze snapped up. She considered him for a second, trying her best from letting a groan from escaping her.

"Tea? That is it?"

She couldn't help her temper from flaring. All things considered, Adhara believed she had every right to find the new defence professor annoying. Confusing, yes, but annoying would be a better word to describe him because why wasn't he acting the way she expected him to.

She anticipated the annoyingly close watch he had on her. After all, why wouldn't he want to ensure the safety of his dead friend's son? Especially from the likes such as Adhara, considering she was the niece of the man who betrayed them all.

Her ties with her family were the reason why everyone else disliked her. It was just as Matron had drilled into her—cut from the same cloth, nothing but a replica of her father and uncle. So, why wouldn't Lupin think the same? In fact, unlike the rest of the wizarding world, he should hate her more. He knew Sirius Black, personally, he actually had a personal vendetta against her.

She expected jabs from him. Insults and glared and unfair punishments and detentions. The second coming of Snape, but much worst because this one would hate her for being friends with Harry.

And here he was, offering her tea of all things for breaking curfew.

Lupin shrugged. "I have cake, too, if you don't fancy tea."

Because, obviously, that was what was wrong with his offer.

"You didn't show during supper. I expect you to be quite hungry right now."

Why did he even notice that? She knew for a fact no other teacher did. The paper she had to sign was taken care of and all, even Snape hadn't noticed her absence.

(Because, yes. She was skipping meals, more so out of spite than anything. Adhara had to be there, she was obliged to. Because the Aurors demanded they keep an eye on her. So what more of a good reason did she need to not be show up?

Adhara was never good at following orders, anyway.)

"I ate." Which was true. She did eat, just not at the Great Hall.

"Oh?"

"The house-elves are nice to me."

Lupin smiled—a genuine one. Not that closed-eye fake one he seemed to throw around like loose change he wanted to get rid of.

That sincere smile so rare, only directed to a close few: McGonagall was one of them, some students who somehow managed to wiggle into his favourites list—because, obviously, teachers had favourites. Harry was one of them, and—a fact that recently slapped Adhara in the face like waves against a cliff—she was also one of those students.

Which Adhara did not understand.

Lupin was supposed to hate Adhara. He was meant to hate everything about her; from her name to her House, to her annoyingly close relationship with Harry. So why was Lupin pretending to be so caring? Pretending to be so understanding?

Fists curling in, Adhara took a deep breath. She decided it was time to tug.

"Are you going to report to the Aurors?"

A crease appeared between Lupin's brows, which Adhara assumed was a result of confusion.

An audible "what?" confirmed her assumption.

She jutted out her chin, daring to make eye contact finally. "I was out after hours. The Aurors will want to-"

The teacher stopped her with a simple wave of a hand.

"That will not be necessary. I shall dock points for rule-breaking, but there is no need to involve the Aurors."

Adhara frowned. He was doing it again. He didn't need to be so nice to her. He was supposed to be the opposite. There was no need for him to pry so much about her home life, nag her about her boggart. His eyes lingered too long on her gloves, ever since he discovered the mess under the silk.

It was all too much, too unnecessary. Why did he care so much about Matron anyway? The woman had nothing to do with Harry, therefore it shouldn't be any of Lupin's concern.

"I'm a suspect-"

"You're a kid," he interrupted again, "your relatives' actions have nothing to do with you and, I'm sorry not a lot of people believe that."

Adhara didn't think she believed it either.

━━━━

"What's this rubbish?"

"Pff. Rubbish, he says."

Everyone else went to Hogsmeade, even Adhara. Harry finally convinced her that he was going to be fine. He could manage by himself for a few hours without getting in trouble. He wasn't going to get tired of brooding in his own misery and end up making a rash decision that could potentially put him in danger since there was a lunatic after him.

Obviously, that was a lie.

Harry was bored. Harry was angry. Harry wanted to turn Vernon into the pig he was. And his aunt into the dog that she was. Adhara most likely already knew he had been lying out of his teeth. Even Millie scoffed.

It was a perfect plan. A brilliant plan, even. No one was going to find him underneath his invisibility cloak, especially since no one really knew he even had one.

Unfortunately, he didn't take the Twins into account.

They dragged him back inside the clock tower, pushed him in the back towards the staircase and shoved an old piece of parchment in his hand.

Harry examined the aged folded parchment the twins handed him.

"This here, Harry, is the secret to our success."

Harry didn't believe them. It looked utterly blank.

George took out his wand and pointed at the parchment.

"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."

The title slowly revealed itself on the front in maroon font, a picture of the castle along with it.

"Messrs Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs are proud to present The Marauders' Map," he read out loud.

Harry opened it: lines and paths and names and footsteps appeared on the paper. Harry instantly recognized the castle's outline, all the classrooms, the towers and the bridges. There were even some passages he didn't recognize. The map also showed people, the footsteps indicating exactly where they were at that moment.

Harry's mouth slowly stretched into a smile.

"Don't forget to close it after you're done. Or else anyone can see it."

"Just tap and say: Mischief managed."

━━━━━━━━ ✥ ━━━━━━━━

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

691K 16.5K 85
Diana Faye Lupin The twin Sister of Remus Lupin. The only girl who's immune to a Certain boy's flirtirous actions. The last girl you'd expect to fall...
1.3M 46.9K 53
Discontinued "How does it feel to be the daughter of such an influential celebrity?" "Influential? The man practically only came...
115K 4K 41
❝You're not going to take no for an answer, are you?❞ ❝You should know the answer to that by now, Harry.❞ ⁂ Life has always been a bit disorganized f...
444 23 22
Estrella Aurora Black, youngest child of Walburga and Orion Black, sister of Sirius and Regulus Black. Follow her through her journey of Hogwarts - w...