Daughter of Mortis

By LeeraIvy

Ania Bonteri, a young Togruta female, is a mercenary for the Galatic Empire, and right hand to Darth Vader hi... More

Book 1
Mercenary
Visions
The Hunt
Forgotten
Clues
Ahsoka
Unhinged
Lies or Truth
Escape
Interrogation
Hidden Temple
The Lower City
Feton Ralius
Freedom's Dance
You're a Rebel Now
First Mission
One Moment
The Revolution
A New Destination
Coaxium Caper
The Temple's Test
Control
Mysteries of the Senate
Fate of Lothal
Captured
Resolution
Book 2
Deal With A Devil
Rescued
Riddles of the Bendu
Narrow Escape
Strengthening Connections
Old Contacts
Set Up
Deadly Promises
Shadowed Minds
Kenobi
A Master's Teachings
The Search Begins
Den of the Rancor
Wisdom and Warnings
Trials and Triumphs
Sacrifice
Wolf Call
Searching for the Lost
The Beginning
Released
Broken Minds
A Temporary Peace
Confrontation
Rising Darkness
Nightmare
Broken Chains
Last Goodbye
Thank You!
No Mercy
The Hunter and His Prey (1)
Enemies and Trust (2)
Dancing Hearts (3)
Promises (4)

Stolen Thoughts (5)

201 4 0
By LeeraIvy

This story features my character, Kein Rei, and Ruby, who belongs to ValarousDenivene . This is a collaborative story between the two of us, and it will span over a series of parts.

This is also the final part of this particular storyline. We may write some more stories for Ruby and Kein in the future, but nothing is decided for certain yet. We hope you all have enjoyed these stories!

Disclaimer: The artwork featured above is NOT mine. I found it on Pinterest. The original artist's name was unavailable.

Cantonica: 3 BBY
Grasslands
Ruby

    Ruby blinked her eyes open, somewhat confused. Something had woken her, but she didn't know what. She sat up and her gaze landed on a familiar jacket. Ruby picked up Kein's jacket and eyed it. It was the same one she'd stolen from him previously.

    She shrugged it on and stood. Ruby scrunched her forehead. Wait, where is he? She glanced around the cave. His blankets were still there, but none of his things were. Her eyes flew wide open and she sprinted out of the cave.

    The Scorpion was gone. Ruby lifted her hands to her montrals. "What is he doing?" She scanned the dark sky, but there was no sign of Kein's kom'rk. "That idiot!" She growled. "Tell me he's not going to Coruscant."

    She stood there a moment longer, then returned to the cave. Ruby grabbed her lightsaber and slid it into a satchel. She couldn't have it in sight, where she was going. The sun was just a sliver in the sky when she left the cave again. She hopped onto her speeder and started it up. Soon, she was flying across the grasslands.

    Frustration and concern pricked at her mind as she navigated through the tall grass. Why wouldn't he tell me he was leaving? He should've talked it over with me. We could've made a plan. He's going to get himself killed.

    She didn't stop at the outskirts of town as usual. She flew all the way to the casino. Ruby parked near the main entrance. The guards let her in without question. Everyone at the casino knew who she was by now. Ruby made her way inside and hopped into a lift.

    It stopped at one of the upper levels of the casino. She stepped out and headed towards an office. Ruby activated the buzzer. The door hissed open a moment later. The casino owner sat in a chair with a datapad in hand.

    "There's my latest star," he drawled. Ruslan set down his datapad. "What can I do for you, Sweetheart?"

    Ruby grimaced. I like it better when Kein says it. She wiped the expression of her face and smiled. "I have a favor to ask."

    "Well sure. What do you need?"

    "I need a ship. Preferably one that is small, fast, and untraceable."

    Ruslan raised an eyebrow. "You don't need much, do you? Why do you need a ship?"

    "I have some business off world and..."

    "Hey, now. You're not leaving me, are you? I've got you booked for a few more weeks worth of shows," Ruslan protested.

    Ruby resisted the urge to roll her eyes. She gave him a honeyed smile and batted her eyelashes. "Can you please help me out here? I won't be gone long, but this is important."

    "What's in it for me?"

    "I'll do two additional shows for free."

    Ruslan stroked his goatee for a minute, then nodded. "All right. This way." He led her towards his private landing pad. The door opened, revealing a small G8 Rigger Class Freighter. "Will this work?"

    "Is it fast and untraceable?" Ruby cast a scrutinizing gaze over the ship.

    "It is. It has a signature scrambler, a masking device, and a few other modifications."

    "Can you track me in it?" She turned her narrowed eyes onto him.

    Ruslan chuckled and shook his head. "This is my personal ship. There isn't a tracker anywhere on board."

    "Good." Ruby eyed the ship some more. I'll have to erase the transmission log and the navicomputer history. I'll check for trackers too, just in case. She gave a short nod. "It will work. Thank you."

    "No problem, Princess." Ruslan gave her a wave as she boarded the ship.

    Ruby ignored the gesture and fired up the engines. In a matter of minutes, she had cleared Cantonica's atmosphere. She finished prepping the navicomputer and activated the hyperdrive. The stars blurred into streaks of blue around her. "You'd better not be dead yet," she growled. "I'll kill you if you are."

Coruscant: 3 BBY
The Emperor's Palace
Kein Rei

    Kein landed the Scorpion on the appointed landing pad. His hands hovered over the controls for a moment. They shook with nerves. Kein forced himself to draw in a few deep breaths. This will work, he told himself yet again. It has to.

    Kein squared his shoulders and strode off the ship. Emperor Palpatine's Red Guards were waiting for him at the entrance. They surrounded him and they began walking through the crimson halls.

    Kein glanced around curiously. He'd never been in the Emperor's Palace before. He knew it had once been the Jedi Temple. His thoughts flickered to Ruby and the horrors she had witnessed here. He pushed the thoughts away after a moment. I can't reveal anything, he thought.

    They entered a large room presently. Kein narrowed his eyes. He'd expected the Emperor to have a lavish throne room, not this...office. Then again, the Queen of Naboo spent most of her time in an office. And, Kein remembered, Emperor Palpatine was from Naboo.

    Two guards took up positions beside the door. Kein folded his hands behind his back as the remaining guards situated themselves around him. He gave a huff of amusement. I've worked for them for years and they still don't trust me. As if I could attack the Emperor and walk away with Vader in here. Dread pooled in his stomach.

    Another door hissed open. Two dark robed figures entered the room. Emperor Palpatine sat down and rested his hands on the arms of his chair. Kein could only see the lower half of his face. Vader stood next to his master.

    "Where is she?" Emperor Palpatine asked.

    "Dead." Kein drew in a steadying breath. Keep your thoughts clear and your expression blank.

    "Dead? We wanted her alive."

    "To be fair, you never specified." Kein shot an annoyed look at Vader. If the Dark Lord didn't strike him down now, it would be a miracle.

    Vader's hand inched towards his lightsaber. Emperor Palpatine waved his hand and Vader stopped. "How did she come to be dead?"

    "I tracked her to Cantonica, as you requested, Lord Vader. I almost managed to capture her, but she escaped. I followed her to her hideout and waited until she fell asleep before attacking again. She nearly escaped once more, but I grabbed her lightsaber and killed her."

    "We needed her alive to locate..." Vader began. Emperor Palpatine silenced him yet again.

    "Produce her lightsaber as proof. I know you bounty hunters. You can't resist claiming such a trophy."

    Oops. I should've thought of that. Kein managed to keep his expression neutral. "I didn't take it. As soon as she was dead, I realized that someone was approaching on a speeder. I left before they could see me and I didn't have time to claim anything."

    "So I see." It was an effort not to squirm beneath Palpatine's shrouded gaze. "Vader." Darth Vader turned towards the Emperor. "Find the truth."

    Kein's eyes widened as Vader faced him. "Yes, my master." Vader stretched a hand towards his face.

Coruscant: 3 BBY
G8 Rigger Class Freighter
Ruby

    Jumping out of hyperspace, she made her way down through the planet's atmosphere. Ruby piloted the small ship into a civilian lane, in an attempt to get to the surface without drawing too much attention to herself. She looked up from the controls, seeing the city planet that she had wished to never see again. Her grip tightened on the steering as her breath caught in her throat.

    She felt her anxiety rise and heartbeat quicken. Ruby took a slow breath, reminding herself to stay calm and hold onto her anxieties for later strength.

    After putting the ship into autopilot, Ruby stood and grabbed her bag. She sifted through it, before grabbing her lightsaber and a dark brown cloak. Ruby clipped the saber onto her belt, then turned her attention to the cloak. It appeared rather old, as she hadn't worn it in a long time and it had gathered dust.

    Throwing it over her shoulders, she returned to the pilot seat. Ruby maneuvered the ship through the busy traffic lanes, before eventually landing on a quiet platform. She glanced out the viewport, checking for stormtroopers. There was only one. "I can handle that," she muttered to herself.

    Ruby threw the cloak's hood over her montrals as she exited the ship and made her way off the platform. As she had expected, the trooper stopped her. "Identification please."

    She looked to him, withholding her agitation. She calmly outstretched a hand to his helmet and concentrated. "You do not need to see my identification."

    The soldier remained silent for a minute as she focused. She was a little rusty and was unsure if the mind trick would work, but to her surprise, "I do not need to see your identification," he responded. "Move along."

    Ruby nodded and quickly brushed passed him, pulling her hood down. After a short while of walking, she looked around. "Now let's see if I remember my way around." She glanced up at the buildings, knowing she would have to get to the upper level eventually.

    A few civilians began to give her odd looks. Ruby continued walking before they could question her. She hailed the first taxi she saw.

    "Where to, Miss?" The driver asked as she jumped into the back.

    "Uh...the Emperor's Palace?" She spoke with an uncertain tone.

    "What, are you some kind of hot shot or politician or someth'n?"

    "Or something."

    The driver shrugged, starting the speeder. "Suit yourself. Though, I doubt you'll be able to get in look'n like that."

    "Just shut up and get me there." She hissed, glaring at him.

    "All right, all right. No need to get your lekku in a twist." The driver pulled into the flow of traffic and began heading to the upper levels.

Coruscant: 3 BBY
The Emperor's Palace
Kein Rei

    Kein had fallen to his knees minutes ago. Or was it hours? It felt like hours. A terrible pressure filled his head as Vader probed his mind for information. He was resisting to the best of his abilities. It wasn't working as he had hoped. Vader had trained him after all.

    At last, Vader withdrew his presence. Kein gasped in relief. He gulped down several breaths. "Well?" Emperor Palpatine prompted.

    "He did find the girl. She goes by the name Ruby and she was apprenticed to Him."

    "Good." The Emperor rose with a cackle. "But we still need more. Is she alive?"

    "Yes, my master," Vader replied. "He lied to us."

    "That is to be expected." Palpatine approached him. "But I wonder why? Why would you lie to protect your bounty?"

    Kein gave no response. He squeezed his eyes shut, waiting to see what they would do. Shadows swam in his vision. A door hissed open suddenly. "Your Excellency," a guard panted.

    "What is it?" Emperor Palpatine spat.

    "Someone has broken into the palace."

    "Why haven't they been stopped?"

    "They have a lightsaber. The guards haven't stood a chance and..." the guard cut off and began clawing at his throat. Kein glanced at Palpatine and Vader. Neither had a hand raised.

    The guard gave one last strangled cry, before his neck splintered with a crack. His body was cast aside. Kein starred as Ruby entered the room, her lightsaber gleaming with a crimson blade. Her gaze flickered to him. He thought he saw a glimpse of relief in her eyes, but it was gone before he could be certain.

    Thinking quickly, Kein spoke. "Well, well, well. Look who managed to survive." Vader and Palpatine both looked to him.

    "I had to come repay a favor," Ruby replied, her voice nothing but a growl. "After all, one doesn't try to capture or kill me and walk away."

    "I've heard that before, Sweetheart."

    "Now, I suppose we shall see what you're made of," Emperor Palpatine sneered. "It was not wise of you to come here, although you have spared this pathetic lifeform from a terrible fate."

    Kein flinched at the words. He drew his plasma blades. I hope this works. Ruby, you'd better know what you're doing, he thought.

Coruscant: 3 BBY
The Emperor's Palace
Ruby

    Ruby widened her stance, glaring at Kien. Fortunately, she was mad at the Nautolan and it was one thing she didn't have to fake. Every now and then, she would glance at Darth Vader. She found herself being filled with fear and hatred. Luckily, from her master's training, she used those intense emotions to her advantage.

    Ruby clutched her saber with a deadly grip and circled Kein. She kept her focus on the hunter, ignoring the two Dark Lords beside them. Hopefully they wouldn't interfere. Kein mimicked her steps, waiting for her to make the first move. Ruby narrowed her eyes. I have to make this look convincing while restraining myself. It's not my original plan, but it will have to work, she thought.

    Ruby leaped off the floor, swiping her saber at Kein's torso. Kein whipped his blades into action, knocking her saber aside and slashing at her arm. Ruby activated her second blade and blocked his attack. She forced him back and gathered herself for her next attack.

    Kein seemed to recognize her attack before she even moved. He crossed his plasma blades above his head, catching her overhead slash. Ruby pushed down harder until his knees began to bend somewhat. She gave him a glare, letting him know she was not happy. He returned the look with an added sneer.

    Kein flipped onto his back. Thrown off balance, Ruby toppled over him. He threw his foot into her back, sending her flying across the floor. She crashed into a doorway. Ruby tumbled forward again, before recovering herself. She got to her feet, searching for her lightsaber.

    She spotted it lying on the floor a few feet away. It was stuck in between her and Kein. Anger threatened to overcome her. Ruby kept her eyes on the ground as it boiled within her chest. She gritted her teeth, trying to hold it at bay.

    Palpatine smiled in amusement as he watched her attempt to control her emotions. "How pitiful. You still cling to your Jedi past. Unleash your anger. Use your hatred!"

    Ruby's gaze flickered to Kein. She sensed a subtle anger radiating from him as well, but it was directed towards Palpatine. The hunter's hand flexed around the hilt of his blade, but he made no other movement.

    Ruby stretched her hand towards her saber and pulled it back into her grasp. She straightened and looked at Kein. She continued to remind herself to calm down, not letting the Sith Lord's words agitate her.

    She activated the blades and rushed towards him again, attacking with a combination of fast strikes and parries. Even after teaching him a few of her tricks, she had a few more surprises to share. She purposefully hadn't shown him all of them, in case of a situation like this. Taking advantage of his surprise, she overpowered him, knocking him down.

    Anger flooded Ruby's mind and flashes of red tinged her vision. Kein struggled beneath her, his plasma blades the only thing keeping her blade at bay. Ruby dug her nails into his wrists and he dropped one blade with a shout. Fear flickered through his gaze. Ruby lifted her saber, lost in the moment, and let it fall.

    Another red blade appeared beneath it, snapping her out of her anger. Ruby looked up, fear filling her eyes as Vader stared down at her. Raising his hand, he lifted the togruta and slammed her against the wall. Vader stepped over Kein, his hand still reaching towards her. Her saber flew from her hand yet again.

    "You have proven your loyalty for now, Hunter. We will handle things from here on." His tone was dark.

    Ruby pushed against the wall, attempting to get away. She was soon dropped and she struggled to find her feet. She quickly glanced around the room, looking for a way out. Ruby knew if she went into the hall, she would be caught by an overwhelming number of guards and troopers.

    The other option was just as risky, with the possibility of dying on the spot, but she knew she would rather die than be a prisoner of the Sith. "That was a mistake," she hissed. Ruby glared at the masked Sith Lord, while holding her side. Without breaking eye contact, she focused on her weapon and reached out through the Force. The saber wiggled subtly on the ground before it flew up and activated, spinning towards Vader.

    Looking away from Ruby, he swung his saber to block hers. Seizing her opportunity, Ruby rushed past him and made a beeline for the large window. She pushed on the glass with the Force causing it to shatter and blow out. Without a second though, she jumped and began falling.

    Before Ruby hit the ground, she used the Force to slow herself. She landed with enough force to roll a couple times. She looked up at the window before running away from the palace.

Coruscant: 3 BBY
The Emperor's Palace
Kein Rei

    Kein sprinted to the window and clutched at the rim, disregarding the glass that crunched beneath his palms. Ruby hit the ground and was up and running within seconds. He gave a small sigh of relief.

    "Bounty hunter," Emperor Palpatine called. Kein half turned. "You have done well. I see her skills were even too much for Lord Vader." The Emperor's head swiveled towards his apprentice. If Vader was angered by the words, he gave no sign of it. "Return to your main objective. Focus on capturing Ania Bonteri. We will handle this nuisance."

    Kein bristled at the word, then dipped his head. "Yes, your Excellency." He grabbed his plasma blades off the ground and left the room as quickly as he could. Kein made his way towards the Scorpion, hoping Ruby might've gone there. The platform wasn't far from where she'd landed.

    He reached the ship soon and stepped on board. Sure enough, Ruby was sitting there, treating one of her small injuries, when he arrived. Kein crossed his arms and leaned against the wall, waiting for her to speak.

    Ruby said nothing as she continued to clean her wound. Finally, she stood and crossed over to him. Ruby regarded him for a moment, then bared her teeth and swung her fist, hitting his cheek. Kein let his head fall back dramatically, before straightening. "I deserved that." He grimaced, his cheek bone aching as he spoke.

    "Yes, you did. What were you thinking? Why didn't you tell me what you were doing?" Ruby spat.

    "I had to try to do something to get Vader and the Emperor off your trail without winding up dead myself. I didn't think you would follow me here."

    "Did you think I'd just let you get yourself killed like that?"

    Kein tilted his head. "I don't know what to think, Sweetheart. You were the one trying to kill me back there."

    Ruby gaped at him, then shook her head. "I lost control for a minute and I'm sorry, but you should've told me. They would've killed you if I hadn't shown up."

    "Yes, but they also wouldn't have had this much information on you. Now they know how skilled you are, your angry tendencies, how easily you're unbalanced, ecetera."

    "I saved your life. You should be grateful."

    "Oh, I am." He gripped her shoulders firmly. "I am very grateful to be alive right now."

    "But?"

    "But now the one person in galaxy who means something to me is going to be hunted by a Dark Lord of the Sith."

    "That's nothing new. I can handle whomever he throws at me."

    Kein pointed a finger in her face. "You'd better be able to." He brushed past her and entered the cockpit.

    Ruby followed him momentarily. "Where are we going?"

    "Where's your ship? I'm assuming you brought one here."

    Ruby leaned over the navicomputer and typed in a set of coordinates. Kein eyed them for a moment, then lifted off and headed towards the Lower City.

    "You won't be able to stay on Cantonica," Kein pointed out.

    "I have work to do elsewhere anyway. I'll just have to find a new hiding spot while I'm there and leave when I can."

    He felt Ruby's gaze on him. They finally reached a platform. A G8 Rigger waited there. Kein followed Ruby off the Scorpion. She watched the Rigger ship for a moment, then faced him.

    "So what's going to become of...us?" She asked.

    Kein stroked his chin thoughtfully. "Well, I obviously can't go back to Cantonica with you. Palpatine wants me to go back to hunting Ania. I suppose we'll just have to make sure our paths cross occasionally."

    Ruby smiled a bit. "Only occasionally?"

    "Why? Are you going to miss me, Sweetheart?"

    "Not very much, Sleemo."

    He flashed her a smirk. "Well, you do have one of my jackets now. Use it as a coping mechanism during one of the rare times you miss me." Kein pulled her into a tight hug. "Good luck finding your master."

    "Good luck hunting Ania." Ruby kissed his cheek and pulled away. She boarded her ship quickly and soon took off. Kein watched her until he could no longer distinguish the ship.

    He returned to the Scorpion and set the navicomputer once more. Kein grinned to himself. He'd be seeing Ruby again soon. That much was certain. After all, she was going to be wanting one of her Zabrak horns back. He twirled the small headpiece accessory in his hand with a laugh and prepared to take off.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

56.9K 956 12
Y/n left the Jedi Order at 19 to be with her family in Alderaan in hopes of a somewhat normal life, not wanting to be involved with the Clone Wars an...
224K 8.5K 79
Irel Kirsi is a newly appointed Jedi Knight when the Clone Wars arrives, bringing chaos into the galaxy she was sworn to protect. At the bidding of t...
130K 4.1K 36
Anakin Skywalker will not become Darth Vader. Not yet, anyway. Padmé saved him from a lifetime of regret by pulling him out of the fateful battle bet...
70.8K 2.8K 99
Season 1: Order 66 wiped out the Jedi Order, but remnants of it have been hidden away, shielded from the Galactic Empire and Emperor Dooku. When the...