The doctors mate

By Winterturbin

Marissa Swan is a Midwife at Forks General. Her life is pretty normal, Well as normal as it could get. When h... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48.

12

13.2K 297 5
By Winterturbin

When we reach my house, Dr. Cullen lifts Abuela from the car and carries her into the house. "Take her upstairs and put her in my bed" I say and carry her wheelchair and duffle bag into the house. I put the chair into my hallway cupboard and carry her bag upstairs. I see her sitting in my bed, I open her bag and pull out her rosary beads and bible and place them on the bedside table. I pull out my phone and text Charlie to tell him where to bring Nicky. I watch as she falls asleep and Dr. Cullen walks out of the room. I close the door behind us and stand next to him in the hallway. I chew on my lip and look at the picture of me holding a baby Bella. We stand in silence for a minute, not really knowing what to say. "I know what you are." I say suddenly. He snaps his golden eyes to me, but doesn't say anything. "You're a Cold One, aren't you?" I ask. He nods his head once. "How did you know?" He asks. I watch him carefully, "I've had my suspicions for a while. Although Abuela confirmed it today" I say with a chuckle. He frowns slightly, "When?" He asks, "When she first seen you. She said she wouldn't stay in a hospital where a cold one works" I say. He nods and a small smile graces his lips, "that's a shame. I'm the one that will be visiting daily" He says, I laugh "Get ready for a cantankerous old witch then" I say and walk downstairs. He nods and follows me. "Well I'll take my leave of you" He says and walks to the front door. "Dr. Cullen?" I call out, he spins around "Do you eat Humans?" I ask, and he laughs out right. "No, my family and I survive off of animal blood" He says. I smile, relieved. "That's good" I say, and pull the bottles from the sink and put them in the steriliser. I hear the front door click shut and switch the steriliser on before making a cup of sweet tea and taking it up to Abuela. I knock on her door softly and push it open. "I made you a cup of sweet tea" I say and place it on the bedside. She nods and lifts it shakily to her lips and takes a sip. she places it back on the bedside and pulls back the duvet and climbs under it "Voy a descansar ahora." (I'm going to rest now.) She says, closing her eyes. I nod and back out of the room and closing the door.

I sit on the sofa and read a book until the fort bell pings. I stand up as Charlie pushes the pram into the house. "Found this at Home" He says. Pushing the breaks down with his feet I smile and reach into the pram and lift Nicky out. "Abuela is here" I say and start walking up the stairs. The bedroom door opens "Give him to me" She says, stretching her arms out. I smile and hand Nicky to her, I wrap an arm around her and help her into the chair. She stares at Nicky and makes faces. "He is strong. And healthy, you have done a good Job child" She says. I smile and sit on the edge of the bed. "Would you like to feed him?" I ask, accepting the bottle Dad prepared. She nods and I hand it to her and she eases the teat into his mouth. Nicky starts to suckle immediately. My phone pings with a message and I swear. "I have to go, Dad keep an eye on them for me" I say, running downstairs and out of the door.

I stop my jeep outside of a house on the Rez and grab my delivery bag. I knock on the front door "Hello! Midwife!" I say, the door opens and a heavily pregnant woman opens the door. I smile as she lets me in. "Marissa, thank god!" She says and pulls me over to her bedroom. "Can I get you up on the bed for me?" I say. She nods and climbs up, Her Husband kneels next to her on the other side. I pull gloves on and feel the baby. "Knees up and apart" I say and do her checks. "You're not fully dilated, just yet if your husband helps you, walk around for a while" I say. She nods and her husband helps her from the bed. "When her next contraction hits, wrap your arms around her waist and rock from side to side" I say, putting an incontinence sheet over the bed. I fix her pillows and help her back onto the bed. I listen to the baby's heart beat and frown slightly. "What's wrong?" The woman asks. "Heartbeat is a little slower than I'd like. Nothing to worry about!" I say brightly and check her again. "On your hands and knees please" I say. Pulling the gloves off and pulling my phone out of my pocket. "Hello, Ambulance services how can I help?" A woman says. "It's Marissa Swan. I need an Ambulance to come to Caroline Murrays house. Baby's heartbeat is slow and she's not fully dilated. I'll do what I can but you need to hurry" I say quietly and hang up. I pull fresh gloves onto my hands, and sit at the bottom of the bed. "Mr Murray if you could wait outside" I say and he gets to his feet and leaves the room. I listen to the heartbeat and see that its slower than it was. "Alright You need to do everything I say Caroline. We need to get baby out as soon as possible, I'm going to help you along, Ok?" I say, she nods her head. "When I stretch you need to push" I say. "Don't I need to push on the contraction- Ahhh!" She says. "No, you need to push now" I say. She pushes hard and I see the head. "Pant for me" I say, She starts to pant and I stretch her a little more. "Push" I say. I remove my hands as the Baby crowns, "One more big push!" I encourage her, I help ease the baby out and suction it's mouth and nose. "Why isn't it crying?" She asks. I turn the baby so it's chest is in my hand and rub it's back firmly. "Come on, Little one" I say, still rubbing. I feel movement under my hand and the baby let's out a loud cry. I sigh in relief and clamp the cord, cut it and wrap the Baby in a towel. I help Caroline onto her back and hand her the baby. I grab the needle and stab it into her thigh. My phone pings with another message and I glare at the screen. "Do you have a name?" I ask, Caroline shakes her head and winces. I have a look under the blanket and put it back in place. "Don't move" I warn and exit the room. "Mr Murray, Can you call someone with a truck? Now, tell them its urgent!" I say. He nods and pulls out his phone, "Is she ok? Is my baby ok?" He asks once he has made the call. "At the moment both are fine. Do you have a stretcher?" I ask. He nods "Take it through to your wife and place it next to her on the bed." I say. He nods and I hear a screech of tires. Two russet skimmed men climb out. "I'm Sam and this is Jared" He says. I nod "Through to the bedroom" I say. I wrap the duvet around Caroline's waist and her husband lays her on the stretcher. "Put her in the bed of the truck" I say, the two men nod and I follow them out. I climb up and so does her husband. "Take the baby Mr Murray" I say, as Sam clicks the tray in place. I lean over "Get us to Forks hospital as quick as you can. I'll make sure you don't get a ticket now go!" I say. He nods and they jump into the truck. It jolts as it moves forward quickly.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

362K 7.7K 27
IMPORTANT NOTE: This is the original version of Emily Swan's story. The Rewritten version is Our Forever containing Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, Brea...
166K 3.6K 20
Being Bella swans sister and having an mental illness that deems Athena 'crazy' isn't a good combination But when she moves to forks and meets a fam...
217K 5.3K 63
It's been a while since the eldest child of Renee Dwyer, and Charlie Swan has returned to Forks. Distressed over his parents broken marriage he left...
66.9K 1.5K 23
Ella Swan is a well known girl in Forks and Bella's twin. She has lived with Charlie all of her life. When Charlie and Renee divorced, Renee got Bell...