I Promise, I'll Leave! But, W...

By MishaBonnellac

In order to flee from the hellish Shevaria Ducal Household, Melissa Ernel von Shevaria enters the Imperial Pa... More

N/A
Prologue
Chapter 01
Chapter 02
Chapter 03
Chapter 04
Chapter 05
Chapter 06
Notice
Chapter 07
Chapter 08
Chapter 09
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 19.5
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51; Beginning of Season 2
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91; Beginning of Season 3
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 115.5
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131(N/A)

Chapter 78

209 14 1
By MishaBonnellac

Chapter 78: Facing Another Fragment of Reality

[]Melissa's Perspective []

Staring down the scenery beside the window, I whimsically wore a sullen face and gave Viola an order.

"Please leave me for a while."

"Understood.", she replied and took her time to leave the room, as I commanded.

Then, the moment I heard a clack from where I felt the maid's presence, I whispered.

"The time has come."

It was quite unfortunate that with my current age, I couldn't possibly enter the trial court despite having myself as the victim of the current case. Which is why I'm worried about how things would turn out at their side.

People under the age of sixteen just like me were prohibited to enter trial courts. Technically, within the Empire, sixteen was the age to be considered as a semi-adult, and only semi-adults and adults were allowed in trials like this. Though, it's a different case if the suspect's a person under the required age.

In case the victim was a minor, a close relative or an acquaintance that would like to volunteer could be sent there in their stead and respond to the questions that the court would ask concerning the case; of course, with the info that was provided by the victim, himself or herself, in advance. Yet, it's not like I was told to confess by the Duke or anything.

Since the events were all a part of our plans, I have expected much that the Duchess has already presented the occurrences that time, during her discussion with Duke Wendell before it even happened. Most likely, he was also told of the things that would be enough to offer as a testimony to the court, so that could explain why the Duke didn't bother to return to the mansion, and continued to act according to the plan.

Still, I couldn't bring myself to be at ease, presently.

Although I easily thought that things mustn't have went to downfall in my previous life a few days ago, I currently realized that that wasn't the case after all.

In the first place, previously there weren't any traces of the Duchess' returning even after I lived my life for twenty-four years already until I was sentenced to death. No matter the fact that I was but the Duke's adopted daughter, it didn't change the way that I was adopted through legal means by a person that possessed royal blood. Which means if it all went wrong, or in case there wasn't anything like this kind of scheme in the past, her punishment was for sure...

Execution...

I widened my eyes and nervously took a gulp at that thought.

I was stupid. I should've known that this was a gamble that placed the Duchess' life at stake all along!

If she were to be saved, it would only be to have a back-up plan to escape before the execution and keep hiding at a place that no one would find if the search party gets dispatched.

I wasn't informed of a back-up plan, but she has the Duke's support with her, so they have probably considered that already, right? Right?????????

While I had that in mind, a cold sweat fell down the side of my cheek.

"......Eh?"

Amid that I came to notice something that made me have frowned expression.

When I willingly surrendered and was 'caught red-handed' to have tried to murder the Empress, Natasha, I was certain that I would be killed under the orders of the Emperor as a punishment for the crime that I've committed. But in fact, at a case like that, the whole Shevaria family should've been involved and obligated to be beheaded as well since my actions were enough to be considered as treason to the ones that held their crowns and sat on their thrones as the rulers of the Empire.

However, as far as I could remember, the Shevarias didn't go through the same penalties as I had. And from the words of my brother that visited me once when I was kept in a cell, being tortured until the day of the execution, it seemed as if the only thing they suffered from were merely the scornful insults and gazes that were directed to them, within the noble society. Thus, the conclusion that I can get from this...

-Is that the Duke dissolved the adoption papers.

I couldn't help but grit my teeth and clench both of my hands into opposite arms. And tremble before the laughter of reality, once more.

"That bastard-!!", I yelled with a bitter smirk, keeping my voice low.

It was very obvious. Duke Wendell wasn't the kind of person that would pity someone that was so brazen to have taken his offer with her dirty hands and became the substitute of his precious daughter, just to gain his favor. He wouldn't have felt bad for the sake of the person that he would look at with a sheer cold gaze, and ignore all day long for so many years. In summary-

He kept me for his own benefit!

If he could easily dispose of the adoption papers, there's no doubt that I was defined as a spiteful no one, to his perspective. There lies only one reason for him to keep me by his side for all those years, although I couldn't contribute anything for the honor of the Shevaria Family.

I still had a worth if I were to be sold off to a political marriage, by force.

That way, he could easily make a connection anytime a spouse with a background that met his requirements appears before his presence. And it would be killing two birds in one stone, since he could also use that as an excuse to keep me out of his sight.

"...Haha......", feigning my laughter, I thought.

How hateful.

No wonder he easily agreed to the conditions that I've set for the sake of my survival. Perhaps, he was planning on forcing me to participate in social events where the men that caught his eye would attend. It is likely that he would care less even if the other person had a half-assed appearance since my preferences and approval wouldn't matter to him. And he'd surely push it in with a set-up between the long period of my stay in this mansion.

Perhaps, I have been lucky that he couldn't find anyone as such, also due to his workaholic side.

If I get engaged before the age of eighteen, there's no way that the Duke would let me escape.

There's also a chance that he'll pretend to shower me with the love that I've desired, and let me fall for his trap just so he can get what he wants.

'Sense of responsibility', my ass. I seriously wonder why I wasted my time covering for him when he wasn't even being kind to the girl called 'Melissa'.

"Why do I always choose the wrong person to love?", I murmured with a sigh, keeping my brows furrowed.

First, that bastard father of mine. Second, the Emperor (Noah) who already had a lover next to him. Third, the Duchess who was actually the perpetrator of my mother's death. Fourth, Lucian who I thought I'd get along well with for being a tsundere. If I were to express my love and trust again, who would it be next? I could guess that I'd feel restless from the trauma that I've experienced from being a fool in this component. Or perhaps, I was just bad at choosing the right person...

Back to the topic, although I have a lingering feeling of vengeance toward the Duke by now, I'm still rooting for the Duchess. The bond that we shared together... It'd be a waste to just end it there.

In my life where things always went wrong, I wish to make at least one thing right by leaving this lonely place at the minimum of having a single segment of proof that I felt happy here.

I'd like to treasure... the kindness that that hard-to-read person gave me. Or else, that'd end up as nothing but another regret, which I've had enough of having as well.

That's why, from the bottom of my heart-

"I'm praying for your success... Duchess."

*knock*knock*

"...? Who is it?", I asked, wondering what it was about.

"It's Aiden, milady. It appears that a guest has come to see you."

"A guest? I don't remember having an appointment with someone today, though."

For a second, I felt exhausted in advance, assuming that it was my bastard brother again. Nevertheless, I didn't have the least idea of the identity of the person that would like to meet up with me, when my background's well-known among the noble society. Especially, a person who would be so rude that didn't even consider sending me a letter of approval for our meeting, in advance.

It's not like I had much acquaintances nearby my age, either.

"It's me, Melissa."

His voice wasn't as clear since he stood at the other side of the closed main entrance but, I immediately recognized who he was as soon as it reached my ears.

I hastily dashed toward the door and quickly opened it to a certain degree.

"Unc-!"

"Shh!", the man warned me with a smile before I could finish saying the word.

Following that, I instinctively shut my mouth with both of my hands covering it. Thereafter, my apparent uncle, Priest Jeremiah of the Holy Temple, uttered as a formal greeting.

"It's been a while, Melissa."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.2K 752 54
Having no time for debutante ball after her coming-of-age ceremony, Lucelia left the barony to become the court lady. Ended up as a housekeeping maid...
The Emperor's Phoenix By Y.P.

Historical Fiction

672K 26.8K 44
As Liu Ying Yue returns to her family home after many years, her step-mother secretly agrees to a political marriage with the emperor of the Shadow R...
1.1K 24 12
Guzi transmigrated into a novel and became a character in a story about a true and false rich heiress. While others who transmigrated into novels bec...
682K 23.2K 57
"Are you sure you're one of the girls? You seem like a spy to me. Are you spy, Arabella?" My name rolled of his tongue perfectly and I stood complete...