Chapter 6

Before our departure, Theobald gave a fraternal embrace to his vassals. Then, while bells rang for Vespers, we left the comtal palace; an azure banner, mixed with silver and gold, waved above towers in a light breeze. 

The breeze became a storm when Simon's body was lowered into a grave dug for him. All I could hear was the crash of trees bending in the wind. It covered the sacred words spoken by the rabbi, like a power far greater than the Creator's suddenly rising from the Earth's womb.

***

The room is silent now.

In the half-light, I look at him with tenderness. He's in Hypnos's arms, which put gods and men to sleep. I lie down slowly, not to wake him up, and keep my eyes wide open. I think back to Saul, my distant ancestor who saved a little unknown girl. 

Alas, the Mahometans had massacred her poor mother. He probably shooked with fear just by founding a horrific drawing embroidered on the infant swaddle, stained by the unfortunate Christian woman's blood.

What about this strange embroidery?

According to John of Chasseney and Count Theobald, a crowned snake would devour a child. 

Such a monstrous, terrifying drawing!

My father had searched for information about it in ports and cities. But the horrible beast pictured had probably returned to Hell.

Shortly after arriving at Chasseney fortress, my father asked our host for an audience in his room, given his great fatigue. Very weakened, Simon revealed his secret to John of Chasseney, entrusting him with the old infant swaddle.

He made the once-saved man promise to marry me to his only son.

Feeling his death soon, he wanted me to be safe from the Snakes and all the dangers threatening a tender virgin.

You're my husband now.

I need to confess my worries, but you seem to have no interest in these people.

However, you would massacre them if you had to.

What man are you under that attractive mask you wear?

Is there a heart in this powerful body?

And this heart, could it beat for me one day?

Earlier, you were angry with this beautiful, disruptive wife. 

You were so hurtful and mocking.

It's who you are.

I know it.

How can I deal with your imperious temper?

Is it enough to take off my clothes? 

I could be Helen, Queen of Sparta, the most attractive woman in this world. The one for whom two cities confronted each other in a murderous war that lasted nearly ten years.

I, too, could be the one to die for.

I want to throw invisible ropes between you and me.

Nothing would cut them.

My ropes would wrap around your body and mine to tie us together.

They would be eternal.

Thanks to them, our souls would be joined.

But you would never see my magic ropes.

You're in a deep sleep, your chest rising with each breath.

A god is lying next to me, and I dream of caressing his black hair crown.

His mother is so proud of him.

This noble lady is special, even a bit scary. She's the opposite of her half-sister, the lady of Campemy, who's Aurel's mother. During supper, she didn't stop joking and laughing with John of Chasseney.

As I understood, the lord of Campemy had never returned from the expedition once led by Count Theobald. 

Warlike barons had attacked the fiefs of the unfortunate widow and her young son. John of Chasseney had defeated these scoundrels and welcomed Aurel and his mother in his fortress to make them feel less lonely.

My husband's mother is a beautiful woman. She has the same amber eyes as he and the same dark hair, but an incurable sadness seems to take away all her joy in living. When Reyn's face is filled with energy and fire, his mom's is hopelessly melancholy. 

Alas, I'm too restless to sleep. 

Everything sounds calm in the castle when I hear a slight noise, like a distant complaint.

And I'm feeling insecure.

Again! I hear something closer this time. 

I get up carefully, putting on my torn nightgown and my cloak. Then, I slowly open the bedroom door.

It's quiet now.

I wrap my cloak around my body, venturing into the hallway. After a few steps, the complaint resounds again.

Gloomy and sinister!

It sounds like desperate lamentations!

Could it be the creature? Maids told me about a half-human, half-snake monster, hoping to scare me. Those damn maids don't appreciate my new position as lady of the castle. I was only a Jewish merchant's daughter when I arrived at Chasseney fortress.

Who could complain like that in the dead of night?

I walk deeper into the hallway.

I want to know for sure.

Torches against walls have recently been lit again. Some maids may be playing a bad joke on me.

All lamentation stopped suddenly.

I notice a vague figure down the hallway. Probably one of those damned maids. I will catch her in the act, and she will regret her nasty prank. It's time for me to show these girls I'm their mistress.

Well, almost!

"Hey, you! What are you doing here?" I ask with authority.

She turns slowly toward me and doesn't look like a maid. 

She's dressed in a long dark cloak. A large hood hides her hair and the top of her face. So with calm, measured gestures, she removes her hood.

I can see her very well.

She's gorgeous, but that's not the most impressive.

I immediately notice her cruel, fierce look.

A human being in appearance, an evil beast in reality!

She doesn't say anything.

But she cracks a scary smile.

I have an unpleasant sensation of being her prey, whatever her true nature.

Fortunately, nothing happens.

Putting her hood back, she quickly fades into darkness. Several torches against walls are now extinguished, and not a single maid to light them again.

It's weird.

I saw a scary ghost.

I should be shocked and terrified.

Instead, I remain perfectly calm.

***