Chapter 16

I can't stop thinking about Reyn, about Aurel. Perhaps they're in a more desperate state than I am. I must try at all costs to join the army, probably on its way far ahead. But, alone and in enemy territory, my situation isn't very encouraging, especially since the terrible wounds inflicted by Congast are constantly torturing me.

A horse's neighing makes me jump under my torn and soaked rags, barely covering me. With trembling hands, I reload the crossbow to face a new danger. Two Mohammedan horsemen slowly advance toward me. One of them has bent his bow in my direction.

It's the man I saw in front of the king's tent. He commanded the so-called deserters who were planning to trick our sovereign. At his side, I recognize the Turk escaped from the Nile camp, sighted aboard an enemy ship. Now I'm sure it was him.

I point the crossbow at them and shout a threat in Arabic, "Don't come forward!"

"We don't wish you any harm," the younger one says immediately in my language. "We have been looking for you for a while, and I was afraid you had drowned."

I remain suspicious because the one holding the bow is always aiming at me.

"What do you want from me?"

The archer shows a sly grin, but the other one is reassuring.

"It's perilous for you to stay here. It's better to follow us to Al Mansoura, you..."

He has just paused, staring at Congast's carcass, a crossbow bolt between his eyes.

"What happened to this Frank?" he asks with some perplexity.

Those two are probably planning to capture me, and I don't intend to make it easy for them.

"I don't know, an unfortunate accident perhaps?" I reply innocently.

While talking, I shoot unexpectedly in the middle of the horses, and immediately the animals reared up. I take the opportunity to run toward the Nile, abandoning my weapon, praying not to receive an arrow. Again, I dive straight into the big river, where corpses and remains of boats are floating.

No shots hit me, but I'm probably chased. I'm sinking into waters and become so fast that I don't see a large piece of wood coming.

It hurts my head badly, and I lost consciousness.

When I hardly open my eyes, I'm freezing, and my throat is sore, just like my head. My eyelids are heavy, but I struggle to get out of uncomfortable sleep. I'm lying on my stomach, under several blankets. My miserable rags have been removed. Uncontrollable shivers hold my limbs when I feel fingers along my back.

"Calm down! The sycamore milk will heal your wounds. I have almost finished," the young Turk explains.

I don't answer anything, paralyzed by the idea of being naked, vulnerable into the hands of an enemy.

Moreover, he's curious. "Is he the Frank, the man who cruelly beat you? Was he your husband?"

"That's not your business! I have to go back to Damietta," I retort, gritting my teeth because my throat is burning.

He responds by peacefully handing me a bowl of hot water from which a pleasant sage smell comes. I pull the blankets around me, still shivering despite the warmth of a nearby fire.

The other Turk has disappeared, and I wonder why.

"Did your companion leave?"

"He's not involved in this case! I'm the only one who claims you as a war prize," he answers in a natural tone.

"What?" I protest. "I'm married and want to join my husband! So whatever your idea is, it's impossible!"

He smiled at me in an almost candid way.

"Your husband is undoubtedly dead, for many Franks have been killed! I will be a fair and good master. It's better to resign yourself to your fate. Even if I thought of freeing you, the laws of war would prevent me from it."

It would have been preferable to let the lord of Termes cut this idiot's fists with his crossbow bolt stuck in his shoulder.

His arrogance is to vomit.

What right does this scoundrel have to bury Reyn?

I have to be tricky with this man to run away at the first opportunity.

In small gulps, the burning liquid relieves my throat, and I regain some forces. The Turk has gone to his horse, coming back with strange, multicolored clothes.

"My companion found in Al Mansoura some dancers' clothes! That's all I have to give you."

Wrapped in my blankets, I grab a gown with a plunging neckline and large sleeves. But in this indecent outfit, Turk's brown eyes immediately fixed my breasts, widely offered to his lust. Fortunately, I also have a mantle to protect me.

I still remember the ordeal endured, and the fear of being raped again doesn't leave me anymore.

Alas, I'm not surprised when he ties my hands tightly.

"Someday, we will trust each other. However, this rope will keep you from escaping into the Nile one more time. My brother says I have fish bones as bones, but it was hard to catch you when you sank."

I turn my head away as he gently places me on his mount. My husband is waiting for me somewhere in this hellhole, and I'm determined to find him.

Since I'm your home and you're mine.

This thought is enough to hold back my tears when the Turk leads his horse with a sure hand, his arm encircling my waist.

"Don't worry," he whispers. "My brother and I were slaves as children, but the sultan was a good master. We served him faithfully until his recent death, and his loss has caused us great sorrow."

I sigh to signify how bored I'm with this conversation, but he doesn't mind in the least.

"By the way, I'm Altan! My brother is called Baibars, but his real name is Rukn," he says, laughing happily.

Baibars!

My blood froze in my veins.

This terrifying news pushed me into total disarray.

***