Chapter 23

France, Aix en Provence, year 1255

Reyn completes the preparations for departure under my annoyed look. "I don't understand why you give up killing this horrible monster. We can't let him threaten these poor people."

"I'd love to! But I don't have time to flush out this animal," he sighs.

And I immediately protest, "It's not an animal! This creature takes on the appearance of a man! It's surely a demon."

He surrounds me with his arms and gets a quick brush on my lips.

"Beaucaire belongs to the king of France, so his seneschal will no doubt settle this matter. And we must cross the Rhone without delay because the count's envoys are waiting for us on the other side."

I know that firm, slightly authoritarian tone well. He won't change his mind. Given the heavy responsibilities he will bear as seneschal, Beaucaire and the cruel "Drac" are of limited interest to Reyn.

***

As planned, the count has charged a small troop to escort us to Aix Palace. But, unfortunately, the first contact between Champenois and Provençals isn't warm. The ones and the others observe each other with distrust. The onslaught of armies from the North on the South still haunts all memories, and Simon of Montfort remains equivalent to the devil.

Two men get my attention. They don't look like soldiers and carry long leather bags on their backs which they take great care of. They may be jugglers or troubadours with their musical instruments. One of them is about the same age as the lord of Termes. Despite his attractive face and figure, I'm not too fond of how he stares at me when he thinks he won't be seen. Thankfully, the other musician, much younger, seems more respectful.

Our little troop is about to cross the fiefs of Barral, the lord of Baux, from a valiant lineage of barons jealous of their power.

Despite the mountains around, the Mistral blows strongly. We progress in a valley surrounded by huge rocks with strange shapes sculpted by water and wind. They're real stone monsters seeming to watch us silently. The sky is luminous as if the Mistral was chasing the clouds to offer us the spectacle of this incredible place called the Val d'Enfer.

The two strangers are indeed troubadours. They bring out their instruments to accompany their warm and low voices during a stopover to spare the horses,. They performed a song about a dark enchantress from the North who had the power to imprison unwary knights in a mysterious world. No one saw these unfortunate men again, who had fallen forever under the enchantress's poisonous spell.

A chilling story!

The night is near when we reach the end of our journey. Protected by the Sainte Victoire Mountain, Aix includes two cities, the episcopal city and the count city, separated by ramparts but united inside the same enclosure.

We entered the count city through a tangle of alleys and ended up in front of the monumental palace of the counts of Provence, with its three towers dominating the whole town. I rush into Charles of Anjou's lair with apprehension, following my husband and the soldiers.

But Countess Beatrice is here and hugs me happily. "Dearest Ada, I was impatient to see you again. I thought you would never return from Palestine."

After the sad Egyptian adventure, Beatrice gave birth to three beautiful children. Pale and thin, she seems weakened after her last childbirth.

"You're radiant," she murmurs, "when I already look like an old woman."

"Of course not," I tell her eagerly.

Reyn has suddenly disappeared, and that worries me.

Beatrice notices my concern, "Charles wished to summon your husband when he set foot on land. Men are always in a hurry in war!"

In a hurry!

That's the word.

Indeed, as soon as he arrived in Aix, Reyn had to go immediately to Marseille.

It's an order!

And Beatrice informed me of the news with a small pout. "Don't worry, my dear. A seneschal is an important and busy person, and you'll have to get used to it!"

I only have time to leave the countess in style and find Reyn. Finally, I see him near a troop positioned in front of the towers. He's already in the saddle, so I run towards him, without caring about my face bright red with the effort.

I question him with angry eyes, "For heavens' sake! You intended to leave without saying goodbye!"

"I'm only going for two days, maybe three," he mumbles with an embarrassed look. "It's an emergency!"

Around us, the soldiers look at me ironically, and one of them watches me with a mocking smile.

"I'll be back before you finished to settle in the palace," Reyn gently promises.

The troop starts to move, and my eyes fix on my husband's silhouette, which disappears in a cloud of dust.

"I wondered what's gotten into you," Beatrice, who has joined me, grumbles.

She's a little out of breath, and her kindness seems to have vanished. "When they got off to war, men hate to see women behave like mourning geese!"

Finally, she hasn't changed much and is still quick to alter her mood easily.

"Your husband must show his authority! Especially in front of this man who was next to him! It's Barral of Baux, the lord to whom belong the lands you have crossed. You should not trust his pleasant face. This felon had allied himself with the counts of Savoy against my Charles, but he ended up bending the knee and now claims to serve him. I'm suspicious of this lineage that proudly says descent from the Magi. Unfortunately, it's known for intrigue, brigandage, rebellion, and assassination when necessary. Let's hope that Charles has advised your husband to keep a close eye on this thief."

All this doesn't reassure me.

I follow Beatrice into her great palace. I listen to her chatter with half an ear while she shows me the sumptuous apartments for women and children.

I can't stand these unfamiliar places where Reyn and I are just travelers, far from home. I finally let my tears flow in a comfortable room covered with colorful fabrics. I have held them back so hard in front of Reyn and his soldiers.

He will be here in two days, three at the most.

I pray it will be so.

***