Chapter 29

The regiment of about fifty Mamelukes in Qutuz's service gathered in front of the stables. Their leader got me on his horse then ordered them to leave. It was he who finished off Altan as he lay on the ground, mortally wounded and unarmed. I stay as far from him as possible, even if it means risking a fall. I'm shivering with cold, only dressed in an oriental gown in fine silk embroidered with gold.

The Mamelukes split up. Many of them returned to Saladin's citadel while the chief went up the Nile with the rest of his men.

No one has said a single word to me.

Visions of Altan slaughtered don't stop haunting me.

We finally halted at the edge of the Nile, not far from Al Mansoura. I'm getting off my horse, two soldiers holding me by each of my arms. The chief starts to scan the night with eagle eyes.

Then I see two big ships with the Pisan cross. Rowboats accost on the shore, and the mortal opponents watch each other with distrust. Their bows are tense, their arrows sharp.

Anything could trigger a fight.

The Christian sailors carefully count bags of gold in front of the Mohammedans. Once it's over, the two Mamelukes release me. As in a dream, I walk towards freedom. Despite the half-light, I recognize the massive silhouette of a soldier.

Oliver of Termes removes the hood covering his head. I remember that day when he had promised to bring me back safe and sound to Damietta.

Alas, fate had decided otherwise.

Deeply moved, I would like to jump into my saviors' arms, but the crossbowmen's master postpones the embraces.

"Let's hurry up to get out of here as soon as possible," he says with a big smile.

With my hand in his, I leave despair behind me. Oliver sees tears rolling down my cheeks and tells me that war is over for me too.

I think of my prince of Wolves, of the reunion so longed for. I worry about his broken leg and hope he doesn't have any irreparable damage.

The rowboat got closer to one of the Pisan ships, and I went on board. It's planned that Oliver embarks on the other ship with his crossbowmen.

Damietta was delivered to the Saracens as a special ransom for the king, and the Muslim fleet is still there.

The Nile is thus deserted.

The sailors raise the anchors, and the vessels glide slowly on the water.

The crossbowmen's master is under the orders of a great figure, the instigator of my salvation. I understood that I owed my freedom to the king's brother. He welcomes me on the ship with our captain, none other than Guillaume of Olivari.

"Dearest Ada," Charles mutters, circling me like a horse dealer circling a mare.

Now I know how the powerful look at the women they like.

I'm not quite the same as I was before.

"What a joy to see that captivity didn't change anything to your charm!" he says again with familiarity.

The nights are icy on the Nile, and I'm freezing to death in my gown. He covers me with his coat before inviting me to share his meal. I'm hardly hungry, and the recent slaughter is still on my mind.

During the dinner, Charles of Anjou explained to me how humiliating and painful his captivity had been.

He hates the Saracens who massacred his brother and promises that these people will be punished one day. Most of the Christians sail for Acre, including Reyn and Aurel. But the king won't leave without Charles nor Alphonse of Poitiers, his other brother. He remains a hostage in Damietta until the last part of an exorbitant ransom is paid.

I don't have much to say except to enumerate all my miseries, but I don't want to mention the sordid details of a slave's life with the king's brother. He then informs me of his negotiations with Qutuz's emissaries.

Unable to get me officially, the emir planned to avenge on Altan. A kidnapping for his personal use was still possible, but it was a big risk in these dangerous times when Qutuz hoped to drive Aybak from his throne. The emir was in Damietta when he had finally decided to eliminate Altan and obtain a ransom in exchange for my freedom.

He had had an unexpected ally in this matter.

Shajar, herself, wished to be rid of my presence.

Charles of Anjou thinks that the sultana feared the proximity of an attractive foreigner when mutual murders ferociously tempted the Mameluke chiefs.

The king's brother knew that he couldn't negotiate with Baibars or his brother. But Qutuz and the sultana accepted a lot of gold to deploy soldiers to the island on the Nile, with the order that nothing living should remain behind them.

Assia and her child may have survived.

Altan often told me about Baibars's obsession with pigeons and fresh news. If she's safe and sound, Assia could have sent one of these birds to Damietta.

In this case, Baibars would already know about Altan's murder and my escape.

Rukn has a cruel nature, and his little brother's death will release all the demons of the wounded lion.

***