Chapter 9

Port of Acre, 1256

Reyn of Chasseney disembarked early, with the sun still low on the horizon, in front of the ships drowned in the morning fog.

Ada said of Acre that it was the most heterogeneous city in the world. In the heart of the crossroads, squares, and alleys, adventurers and renegades rubbed shoulders with wealthy merchants, great lords, contingents of the various military orders, and the small army maintained by King Louis.

The mass of soldiers and mercenaries freshly arrived attracted the prostitutes who were soliciting men with joyful laughter. After a long crossing, these gentlemen were often in the mood for voluptuousness.

But since his oath on the cliffs of Marseille, Reyn no longer tastes wine or touches women. He passed a herd of painted women without seeing them. The prostitutes stared at him boldly, hoping that this handsome knight with such a wild look would soon come to haunt taverns and the one he chose would be lucky.

From the sheer number of their ships sailing off the coast, Reyn guessed that the Italian cities were abuzz with activity since King Louis's departure. However, before heading to the royal castle just north of the town, the young lord first wanted to greet his cousin.

Now the quarrels of the past became futile, and he hoped to share with him precious memories of Ada.

Some Templars informed Reyn that he would find Aurel in the citadel, busy instructing the recruits. But, at the sight of his cousin, Aurel was distant, as if seeing the one who was once like a brother almost disgusted him. He pretended to be overwhelmed, anxious to chase away the intruder as soon as possible.

***

After more than a brief meeting with Aurel, Reyn thinks with annoyance that this damn Templar had all the appearance of a rat cornered between two walls and threatened by the sharp claws of an enormous tomcat.

The young knight feels very lonely in this city where Ada used to move gracefully between the St. John Knights' hospital and their tiny house in the Venetian quarter. When he finally reached the royal castle, Geoffroy of Sargines welcomed him warmly.

"What happiness to see a warrior such as you in the Holy Land," he exclaims. "The Mongols occupy the Mohammedans, and however, there will be no lack of work. But, unfortunately, the Franks and Italians are increasingly divided among themselves over the rights of Queen Plaisance and her son to the Jerusalem kingdom."

"A worrisome situation," Reyn agrees.

"I heard you were a widower," Sargines says. "What sadness! But a man like you will soon seduce the beautiful women of Acre! Tournaments and hunting parties will allow you to shine before the damsels."

"The tournaments?" Reyn asks. "Doesn't King Louis disapprove of them?"

"This is the Jerusalem kingdom, my boy! And in Rome, we do as the Romans do! Besides, Queen Plaisance and the ladies of her court love this entertainment," Sargines replies with a little wink.

The young man quickly took his leave and, once settled in his quarters, opted to return to the port. He strolls through the market square among colorful stalls loaded with abundant goods.

Street vendors offer meat or fish grilled on wooden poles, and Reyn doesn't mind enjoying a few dozen. He also bought several small pieces of cheese that the Bedouins make with sheep's milk.

While eating, Reyn takes a vague look at the people of Acre, busy negotiating a good price for some and fighting for others. In the most beautiful Christian city of the Orient, everyone is killing each other for trifles. For a long time, the virtues of morality gave way under the burning fires of gold, greed, battles, and loot.

Suddenly, the young man's attention is captured by a damsel rummaging through the sumptuous fabrics of Damascus, Baghdad, or Mosul. She's with a Bedouin woman whose face is half covered by a black mask, usual for the women of this people.

Of course, Reyn noticed the stranger was crippled, perhaps after a bad fall from a horse. She's probably the wife of one of those wealthy merchants anxious to imitate the great lords to the point of acquiring mounts that only the riders of the nobility, emeritus since childhood, can approach.

She had a slow head bob, and Reyn vaguely glimpsed a thin profile, then the fabric on her hair slid to frail shoulders.

The young man is captivated by an abundant mane similar to Ada's.

Where the sun's fire never seems to die!

He's afraid to get excited about an ordinary face but discreetly follows them. After several unpleasant squeaks from the wheels carrying the lady's chair, the two women entered a beautiful house in the Templar District. Reyn climbs the wall around it without difficulty, finding himself ridiculous to run after a little cripple.

However, he's eager to see his discovery more closely.

A man is waiting for them on the porch, and Reyn lets out an expletive of surprise.

It's his damn cousin!

What can Aurel do with this young woman?

A crystalline laugh rings through the garden, splashing the soldier lurking in the shadows. He knows this graceful laugh and the pretty voice that has just pronounced some words.

But it has been several months since he last heard them.

He's still not sure.

His piercing eyes see the Templar grasp the cripple's face between his rat's paws to brush her lips. The sunlight finally reveals large dark eyes, wonderful features that a goddess could envy. Reyn realizes that he almost forgot the perfection of this angelic figure. During these difficult months, he regretted not having a single portrait to put under his clothes and contemplate her again.

Then, Ada turned to face Reyn, and the rat finally puts its paws on a well-rounded belly.

Breathless, Reyn searches with his fingers for one of his swords.

He carries two of them in battle.

A long one fixed firmly on his saddle and a shorter one for the confrontations on foot kept almost always on him and stored in his harness.

This sword is perfect for killing this Templar demon, who happens to be his cousin.

By the greatest of misfortunes!

Enraged, Reyn comes out of the woods under the stunned eyes of his Ada.

***