Chapter 7

If you're going through hell, keep going.

Winston Churchill

***

Cairo, Palace of Baibars, 1256

The island on the Nile seems to respire tonight, and a humid breeze spreads around ancient trees with trunks like multiple entangled snakes.

Preoccupied, Baibars thinks about this unnatural alliance he and Qalawun finally concluded with Qutuz, the one who ordered Altan's murder.

Baibars's younger brother rests in a large mausoleum surmounted by an imposing "qubbat," a symbol of heaven's vault.

The reaper took away all the faces that populated Baibars 'childhood. From now on, one must lie, trick, and fight like a wild animal to earn the right to live.

After Aybak had cut off the head of the unfortunate Aktai, the Bahrites Mamelukes fled from Cairo. They had chosen Baibars as their new ruler and Qalawun as his second. Eager for revenge, the Bahrites entered the service of Saladin's great-grandson, anxious to crush Aybak, the vile usurper.

But Saladin's descendant was forced to negotiate an alliance with his worst enemy to confront the Mongolians.

The army of Genghis Khan's grandson was advancing towards the Shiite fortress of Alamut, and Houlagou promised the Old Man of the Mountain the torture of flaying. Of course, no one regretted the disappearance of the "Assassins," those dangerous miscreants. But unfortunately, Houlagou was also planning to attack Baghdad. The Caliph's threats to send hell to the Mongolians if they approached his city didn't bother the formidable Genghis Khan's offspring.

The Bahrites had thus returned to the Egyptian army, although the sultan's confidence in Baibars and Qalawun was limited. Qutuz, for his part, was trying to get rid of both Aybak and Chajar-ad-Durr. As the sultana's jealousy reached its crisis point, he foresaw that blood would soon flow to his benefit.

This vicious and treacherous jackal was planning to become sultan. Knowing Bahrites's hatred for Aybak, he proposed to wipe out the past.

And above all, not to put obstacles in his way.

***

In the harem, the perfumes of roses and jasmines are so heavy that Baibars is almost breathless. But perhaps the belly of the pretty dancer who waves in front of him produces alone this oppressive feeling.

Qalawun is lying between two beauties on a soft carpet with a gigantic tree flanked by a couple of multicolored birds. They're naked, and the emir nibbles greedily on their generous breasts.

But he pauses and stands up. His face, particularly delicate for a bloodthirsty Mameluke killer, is suddenly filled with a slight concern. "You should forget your worries and enjoy yourself," he says, pointing at the damsels lying at his feet.

Baibars spares a smile at the idea of this orgy which begins and will last throughout the night. His second-in-command stretches languidly, exhibiting a perfect body of a seasoned soldier.

The mameluke, sold for an astronomical sum in his youth, knows how to entertain his lifelong companion. "Do you remember the pretty slave who slipped through your fingers?"

"Obviously," Baibars sneers, squinting again at the dancer.

"Imagine that she landed in Acre without her husband. For the moment!"

Baibars now has an evil smile. "You have things to tell me! Don't you?"

Qalawun stretches again like a feline. "She lives with a Templar! That damn pig knocked her up! So I've appointed a Bedouin woman to spy on her. She had to slit the Templar's throat or poison him! Same for the husband if he shows up!"

"That's a good idea," Baibars agrees quietly, tasting some grapes. "Don't you doubt that your Bedouin woman can accomplish such a mission? Especially for Reyn of Chasseney because that animal can be tough."

"We'll see, but I didn't leave her much choice! Besides, the lady is now crippled," Qalawun adds carelessly.

The giant's icy eyes scan the night with a thoughtful look. "It sounds like this little jinn got the punishment she deserved," he concludes.

***