Chapter 12

Only a few hours have passed since he left, and my blood is boiling.

I didn't get my period either this month or the previous month.

I could be expecting a child.

I miss Reyn so much, his fabulous hugs mostly, his bad temper less, but still.

The moment I saw his high silhouette blending with the horizon, I had already decided to join him. It was probably the famous snake tail, somewhere under my clothes, that blew the stormy wind.

The one I will hasten to follow against all odds.

I wrote a letter explaining to my father-in-law that I would take good care of myself, his gorgeous son, and even his stupid nephew.

Holy Land, where I was born, isn't safe for Frankish knights. My father said Saracens had found a thousand ways to gut them.

So I decided to hit the road tonight.

Before going, I must neutralize sergeants on guard at the drawbridge. These morons tried to reassure me about knights on expeditions over the sea. According to them, they often come back with one eye missing or crippled but with two good arms to hug their lovely wife.

Or one!

Suddenly, memories of his arms almost hurt me everywhere.

I prepared delicious mulled wine for sergeants, with poppy and honey added to make them sleep. I borrowed the bay mare from my father-in-law. In the letter, I inform him he will find her in the city of Sens, where I hope to have a fresh mount.

It's dark, and I slip discreetly into the stables to saddle my horse. I'm almost done when I hear a noise.

Two feminine silhouettes stealthily walk toward me, and they argue.

"Shh, sister! You might wake up your husband!" one murmured.

"Of course, sister," the other replies, "now that my John is no longer your lover, you would prefer him to snore for hours."

Hell and damnation! 

These two will make me spot. 

Plus, they scrutinize me in the half-light.

"Uh ... this mare needs a walk in the moonlight," I say confidently.

The Chasseney lady looks me straight in the eye. "Don't take us for fools! We know you will join them."

"We saw you in the kitchens preparing your provisions," Aurel's mother adds.

Holy crap! I'm revealed.

"We would have liked coming with you," she admits, "but we're not very good riders."

"Especially you, my sister," the housemistress remarks mockingly.

Then she hands me a leather purse. "You will need this! You're almost a day behind them! You will have to be fast."

"Watch out for those two idiots! They're capable of being gutted quickly," Aurel's mother moans.

Unexpectedly, they hug me tight, and the Chasseney lady notices the warm wine. "Is it for sergeants? Did you put some poppy in there?"

I nod in agreement, and they both grab the treasure. "We will take care of guards," one promises.

"You will spur your horse when the drawbridge is lowered," the other says.

That's how I left the fortress at full gallop, riding towards the city of Sens. The dawn barely rises when I knock at the pleasure house door, which opens slightly.

My mount is exhausted, needing a place to eat and drink. The innkeeper loves horses; he will probably agree to drive the bay mare to his stable inside a private backyard belonging to him. 

Hawise's sweet face, a little drowsy, appears in the doorway. "Ada! Is that you?"

We hugged happily; I always got along well with her when I cared for the whole household. 

Of course, she doesn't know I'm married to the famous wolf-eyed lord, about whom I spoke to her constantly.

Hawise is a prostitute.

Most women sell their bodies to escape misery and violent fathers or brothers. The innkeeper has made Hawise his lover, and she doesn't seem to complain about it.

So I confess I'm pursuing my lord, gone to fight the Saracens, and I need a fresh horse.

"Our good king is planning to cross the sea with his knights! All these beautiful lords want to conquer riches," the innkeeper laughs.

Hawise shrugs her shoulders, indifferent to her pimp's speech.

"But these damn wars will end up bleeding the people dry! I tell you," he grumbles.

"Do you at least know where royal naves are anchored?" she asks.

"The king embarks from a place called, Aigues-Mortes," I answer. "But I ignore how far it's from Marseille."

"Roads are already risky for a lonely girl, and you don't know the right way," the young woman sighs.

She seems to think about all this and then questions her lover, "Weren't you once a boatman on the Rhône?"

"I'm not that old, baby! And that's the truth."

"Then you know where Aigues-Mortes is!" she claims, suddenly joyful.

"If you expect my rascals and I to accompany your friend, then you're out of your mind," the innkeeper protests. "We're not crazy enough to hang around ships full of ferocious knights who will have only one idea."

"What idea?" she asks innocently.

"To slaughter us, bad girl!"

They leave to discuss the matter upstairs. Beautiful Hawise climbs the stairs with an undulating walk, and several minutes pass before their return. "You have an escort, my lady!" she proudly announces.

The innkeeper cracks a ghost of a smile. "Let's hurry!" he orders.

Since the city of Sens, I thus have taken Saône and Rhône roads. A band of thieves with not-reassuring faces gallops by my side.

And the innkeeper is the one who scares me the least.

***

In 1240, Louis IX wanted to create a strategic port on the Mediterranean

It will be Aigues-Mortes which means 'dead water.' ( Aigua Morta in Provençal)

The Rhône and the Saône are two great French rivers.