Chapter 4

In June 1250, King Louis held a council with prelates, grandmasters of religious orders, barons of the French and Jerusalem kingdoms. Our sovereign chose to stay in the Holy Land to show the Turks he couldn't be chained up with impunity. John of Joinville, Count Theobald's seneschal, asks all those of Champagne to support Louis in his decision.

The king sent back to France his two brothers. Alphonse, suffering from a leg injury, and Charles, who displeased Louis by playing dice on the road to Acre.

This prince's departure doesn't sadden me.

Rumor has it that his lands in Provence are in revolt, and the insurrection would be led by Beatrice's mother, who would hate her son-in-law.

Maybe this noble lady is showing some perceptiveness.

The winds from the sea blow straight across the Earth, across Reyn and his horse!

For hours, my husband has been galloping on the beach like a devil, shirtless under the last, fleeting glimmers of the sun.

"Rest a little! You can't risk a fall!" I say, smiling.

I don't know if he heard me.

There's no more injury question today because Reyn has recovered very well. He becomes again this indomitable warrior who loves the clash of weapons above all. A bit tired perhaps, he lies down in the sand. Side by side, we watch for a moment the waves breaking endlessly on the walls of Acre.

"I have to talk to you about something," he murmurs. "I will leave you for a while, and Aurel too."

"But you've just healed, and your cousin is still suffering from his wound! It's much too early!" I reply with concern.

"The king has ordered an expedition to Cairo where many prisoners are in jail. Nothing warlike! We will negotiate their release with the sultan."

"Nothing warlike! Why did you visit the master armorers of the city in this case?"

If he thinks I didn't notice the brand-new shields and the young squires recruited.

"Touran Shah's murder has caused disturbances among the Mohammedans!" he announces. "The Caliph of Baghdad, the Syrian princes of Damascus and Aleppo, demanded the departure of the sultan's widow and Aybak, her Mameluke husband. Al-Nasir Yusuf, a great-grandson of Saladin, promised to eradicate the former slaves to the last. To appease everyone, a six-year-old Ayyubid boy now occupies the throne. However, the sultan's widow and Aybak rule Egypt in the shadows. They will be conciliatory because King Louis doesn't want to side in internal quarrels. We will bring back the prisoners, and maybe that Johannes you like."

Perhaps the coming and going of the waves will eventually wash my anger into the sea. But the only sight of the Mohammedans shattering into each other is satisfaction for our side.

Have the winds changed for the Christians?

Will the bad battles return?

And this time, will Reyn and his cousin get a victory?

He has this beautiful animal face that lets us guess how bright the night will be. Silently, we tied our bodies together, as lovers know how to do. In the tumult of the sea, the sweetness of his mouth makes me go to the highest peaks touching the sky. I hope for a child with him when the one we lost survives in a secret place of both our hearts.

Ten days later, under the wet eyes of the damsels, our knights take the long road from Acre to Cairo. I watch Reyn leave, and my sadness will grow as the weeks go on.

I fear that my husband and his cousin will meet Baibars once they cross the walls of Cairo. Those who fought hard with the sword are still alive, but they keep hatred and desire for revenge in their hearts.

***